Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

CICO is not the whole equation

Options

Replies

• BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I don't like big macs

Me either.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    For the most part CICO works. Using CICO can transform someone from being overweight to someone being healthy, however anyone who believe CICO is the be all and end all needs to up their knowledge on how hormones in the body operate.

If you believe that, then you dont know actually understand CICO is. Its an energy balance equation. Hormones effect metabolism and other factors which fall into CICO.

I think this is the main thing people who complain about CICO don't understand. Things like health issues, TEF, etc. are still part of the CICO equation. The number MFP spits out for you might not work for you, but that doesn't mean CICO doesn't work for you. It just means you don't know all of the variables in the equation.

I agree. CICO cannot be wrong. However in no way does it explain Why we tend to overeat.

Maybe it would be beneficial to go live in a 3rd world country for awhile and it will be apparent?

Energy balance is a difference topic then: the behavioral, psychological and societal impacts of food abundance in a low exercise environment.

Damn you beat me to it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,393 MFP Moderator
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    For the most part CICO works. Using CICO can transform someone from being overweight to someone being healthy, however anyone who believe CICO is the be all and end all needs to up their knowledge on how hormones in the body operate.

If you believe that, then you dont know actually understand CICO is. Its an energy balance equation. Hormones effect metabolism and other factors which fall into CICO.

I think this is the main thing people who complain about CICO don't understand. Things like health issues, TEF, etc. are still part of the CICO equation. The number MFP spits out for you might not work for you, but that doesn't mean CICO doesn't work for you. It just means you don't know all of the variables in the equation.

I agree. CICO cannot be wrong. However in no way does it explain Why we tend to overeat.

Maybe it would be beneficial to go live in a 3rd world country for awhile and it will be apparent?

Energy balance is a difference topic then: the behavioral, psychological and societal impacts of food abundance in a low exercise environment.

Damn you beat me to it.

Ha. And i am on the phone so i am slower than usual.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I don't like big macs

Me either.

I've never had one. I remember someone telling me that the special sauce is Thousand Island dressing, and I'm not a fan, so I've never ordered one.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,393 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I don't like big macs

Me either.

I've never had one. I remember someone telling me that the special sauce is Thousand Island dressing, and I'm not a fan, so I've never ordered one.

In high school, i used to be able to eat 3 in one sitting with a supersized soda. And i never broke 175 lbs like i am now.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

Because food is delicious and abundant in a large part of the world.

But that fact doesn't make CICO wrong.

Of course not. And I didn't say that it did.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I don't like big macs

Me either.

Pretty sure it's 1000 Island. I had my first one last year and I think the meat to bread ratio is wildly out of whack. Quarter pounders for life.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

This.

For the majority of our history, those who ate up when they had the chance were those who had a better chance to survive. Those who were peckish or ate exactly what they needed and no more (despite the fact that they may not find food the next day) just wouldn't do as well. It's not surprising that so many of us, when left to our instincts, repeat the behavior of our successful ancestors.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

Nor is it designed to do so.

This observation is like saying that understanding how a car works doesn't explain why someone would want to drive to a Nickleback concert.

To pick up chicks. That's the only acceptable reason to drive to a Nickelback concert.

:D
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    NM
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    "Why am I Still Fat?" I watched this video last night and found it interesting.
    https://youtu.be/w3ghP-26CLg

From the video description:

"Have you ever tried to lose weight, and when you did, you put it all back on again? Ever wonder ……

Australia is quickly becoming one of the fattest countries in the world. Almost two thirds of us are now overweight or obese, with poor diets and high BMIs the major causes of disease.

New discoveries are overturning the conventional wisdom that beating obesity is all about eating less and exercising more. Why do the vast majority of weight loss diets fail? Is it because of the so-called famine response? Can obesity be treated as a chronic inflammatory disease? Does chronic exposure to synthetic chemicals in our home environment affect the obesity risk for our kids?

To answer the question - Why am I still fat? – Mark Horstman explores these emerging fields of science, and meets ordinary people in their daily struggle with obesity.
    "

Since I don't want to waste 28 minutes of my life, can someone Cliffs Notes this for me? Is it talking about how obesity is causing diseases? that chemicals make us fat?
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I
    zyxst wrote: »
    DebSozo wrote: »
    "Why am I Still Fat?" I watched this video last night and found it interesting.
    https://youtu.be/w3ghP-26CLg

From the video description:

"Have you ever tried to lose weight, and when you did, you put it all back on again? Ever wonder ……

Australia is quickly becoming one of the fattest countries in the world. Almost two thirds of us are now overweight or obese, with poor diets and high BMIs the major causes of disease.

New discoveries are overturning the conventional wisdom that beating obesity is all about eating less and exercising more. Why do the vast majority of weight loss diets fail? Is it because of the so-called famine response? Can obesity be treated as a chronic inflammatory disease? Does chronic exposure to synthetic chemicals in our home environment affect the obesity risk for our kids?

To answer the question - Why am I still fat? – Mark Horstman explores these emerging fields of science, and meets ordinary people in their daily struggle with obesity.
    "

Since I don't want to waste 28 minutes of my life, can someone Cliffs Notes this for me? Is it talking about how obesity is causing diseases? that chemicals make us fat?

I edited it off my post because it left some questions unanswered. They are still doing studies. I think it is interesting though. After thinking about it I probably should not have linked it, but you captured it before I erased it.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    wow, still going..

CICO is MATH ..it is not hormones, it is not a way of eating, it is not eating oreos all day, it is not negated by a medical condition, etc, etc,etc..

it is a math formula that says calories consumed - calories burned = calorie deficit/maintenance/surplus

wow

We agree in this subject...not sure why people try to turn it in to any more than what it is.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    wow, still going..

CICO is MATH ..it is not hormones, it is not a way of eating, it is not eating oreos all day, it is not negated by a medical condition, etc, etc,etc..

it is a math formula that says calories consumed - calories burned = calorie deficit/maintenance/surplus

wow

We agree in this subject...not sure why people try to turn it in to any more than what it is.

because it can't possible be that easy to lose weight...
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I don't like big macs

Me either.

In high school, i used to be able to eat 3 in one sitting with a supersized soda. And i never broke 175 lbs like i am now.

those were the days lol.