Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

NYT article about obesity stating it's genetic, not lack of willpower

Options

Replies

• msk0307
    msk0307 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you want Science, look at the science of weight loss. There are genetic factors that make weight loss or even weight gain more difficult for some, but the real scientific proof proves this is a load of crap
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Sadly some people want to believe it's not within their power to change.

Add to that there is so much misinformation out there and almost zero mainstream information out there on HOW to keep the weight off.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    johunt615 wrote: »

Add to that there is so much misinformation out there and almost zero mainstream information out there on HOW to keep the weight off.

The only information needed to lose weight is eat fewer calories than you burn. The USDA, Harvard Med, etc promote it. It works.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

The only information needed to lose weight is eat fewer calories than you burn. The USDA, Harvard Med, etc promote it. It works.

Losing weight isn't my problem and there's no shortage of information on that!

my point is millions are spent on books about losing weight and not much on HOW to keep it off. That's part of the reason we see so many regain the weight. Emphasis is almost always on losing not maintaining.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Losing weight isn't my problem and there's no shortage of information on that!

my point is millions are spent on books about losing weight and not much on HOW to keep it off. That's part of the reason we see so many regain the weight. Emphasis is almost always on losing not maintaining.

Maintaining is even easier. Eat what you burn.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    It wasn't even a "study", it was a survey of 1500 people. A survey has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with "what science says". And the "study" was funded by the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery.

LOL. LOLOL.

LOL it was just another one of these "articles" to make people feel as though their obesity is okay because they can't control it. With vanity sizing, fat movement, etc, I bet they will even up the BMI standards of overweight since 66% of the populaton is overweight/obese. It is the new "normal", which peeves me to no end.
  • Derpy_Hooves
    Derpy_Hooves Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    And the "study" was funded by the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery.

LOL. LOLOL.

'nuf said :D

• avygyaru
    avygyaru Posts: 51 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I can see how the article makes some sense though.

Speaking for myself only, I come from a family of amazons and linebackers on BOTH sides and going back to at least my great grandparents based on photos. And my family is huge (farm folk for a long time). My 5'6" grandmother is the short one in the family.

Now speaking for my mom, dad aunts and uncles-- all played sports and were big and muscular, broad shouldered, and well endowed lol With age and less activity, many are just big and fat OR big and solid/thick.
    EX: I have an uncle who is 6'4 and like 285, very muscular but somehow still has a gut. How?!! Anyway, that's just how we are. And we've all been technically obese since at 16. That's why we always got pulled for sports in school.

Speaking for myself, when I am happy and active, it's so easy for me to muscle up and get strong. It's the losing fat that is slow -- but that could be metabolism. I'll find out soon. When I'm sad and inactive, I gain weight quickly even if I'm too depressed to eat. I am 6ft tall and at 185 pounds, my rib cage shows so my goal weight is an even 200. My 8 year old son is 4'7" and 95 pounds with nothing to worry about according to the docs because he's very active and just solidly built.

Diet-wise, my only weakness is ice cream so I just skip that section of stores. I eat baked and pan seared fish and poultry mostly, and the occasional pot roast and meat loaf. Ther aren't enough veggies in my life admittedly. Most of my family doesn't eat this way and are bigger and less healthy. I get teased at times for my "weird" foods, meanwhile, they have diabetes, high BP -- things I don't have (yet I'm still fat).

So... there's my novel. tl;dr = Some people are meant to be big. Not morbidly obese, but they're meant to be big and I reckon it's easier for them to become obese. They definitely don't have to stay obese, but the getting there is so easy for a lot of people and diet isn't always the deciding factor to their losing weight and they don't put in the harder work of exercising. (I can't just diet. I HAVE to exercise hard to lose weight)

• dbhDeb
    dbhDeb Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I do think genes play a role in the way we are made but willpower over the food we choose & hard work triumph.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    its a load of crap,if its genetic then I should have never gained weight and became obese(both my parents were of average weight and height),my grandparents were of average weight and height,and so on.so yeah its bullcrap. and for that matter my one child should not be overweight/obese either.

That really isn't the way genetics works, though. Well, it does sometimes, but not always.

Your genes dictated that you would have things like fingers, and five of them on each hand. And that's pretty inescapable. Also, stuff like you'll have cell walls and require oxygen.

But a lot of how genetics work doesn't involve "set in stone" or "pre-detemined." If it was like you described, everybody would always be exactly the same weight as all of their ancestors. Often, it's more like how some genes give some people resistance to certain diseases, but don't make those people immune.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    its a load of crap,if its genetic then I should have never gained weight and became obese(both my parents were of average weight and height),my grandparents were of average weight and height,and so on.so yeah its bullcrap. and for that matter my one child should not be overweight/obese either.

That really isn't the way genetics works, though. Well, it does sometimes, but not always.

Your genes dictated that you would have things like fingers, and five of them on each hand. And that's pretty inescapable. Also, stuff like you'll have cell walls and require oxygen.

But a lot of how genetics work doesn't involve "set in stone" or "pre-detemined." If it was like you described, everybody would always be exactly the same weight as all of their ancestors. Often, it's more like how some genes give some people resistance to certain diseases, but don't make those people immune.

Im not saying the same weights and stuff. ok like my health issue is genetic. and asthma which I also have can be genetic as well. I know what genetics are but my point is these studies(including this one) more or less say if your parents are fat/obese then you most likely will be as those conditions are inherited. they have said that since I can remember in the 70s. I know its not genetic either as my grandma on my moms side had 3 kids ,2 stick thin and the other (my aunt),heavy set. I know our body type and size can be genetic traits,I know how we are built can be genetic(wide shoulders,etc). I also know eye color can be a genetic trait.as for genes some things are passed down to each child,while others may skip one kid and hit another.or skip generations for that matter.
  • spiritchi1
    spiritchi1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    Something in that article just rubs me wrong.

I do agree that most GPs don't get enough training in nutrition and in how to deal with obesity (my previous GP's advice was: cut out fat...). But from this to say that doctors are 'negligent' for not suggesting a major surgical intervention as if it were a small matter (and not something that permanently changes a body with no possibility of reversal) is just wrong. Surgery (any surgery) should always be a last resort due to all the possible complications.

Look who funded the study: the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery,