Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

NYT article about obesity stating it's genetic, not lack of willpower

Options

Replies

• joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Vailara wrote: »
    erickirb wrote: »
    If it were genetics, why do we now have more obesity than 20 years ago?

Good point. But if it was willpower, then why do we apparently have much less willpower than 20 years ago?

And why do I apparently have much less willpower than I did 20 years ago? But more than I did four years ago, when I was heavier?

I think it has to be mixture of genetics and other factors. I find it difficult to believe it's just down to a massive decrease in the population's willpower.

We never had willpower: we just didn't have as many vending machines, deliveries, and drive thrus
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Not so sure the fast food and drive throughs are the culprit. I gained 50 pounds over three years of eating all fresh whole home prepared foods, no junk food or deserts! Lol! and lost it by using mfp to log calories and following a deficit of 200 to 250 calories down from my tdee for 8 - 9 months.

Its not the times, its us.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

Evolution!!!!

Natural Selection!

no

evolution takes generations and natural selection even longer, like in the 100's if not 1000's of years to show up.

Adaptation is more like 100's and it's 1000's to 10000's of years for evolution. Our species has only been around around 200 years and we haven't really evolved much but we have adapted.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    A lot of things have changed in 20 years. One is cheap unhealthy food is getting cheaper, healthy food more expensive...at least by comparison. "Food deserts" are a thing--areas of poverty where access to good quality healthy food is minimal.

I think the big change is media use. In the 1970s, yeah kids watched TV but we went out to play. Kids in big cities played on the streets...and this is 1970s which had higher crime rates. Now, unless a child is enrolled in soccer after school they are likely inside playing video games. There are no neighborhood kids to play with...there are fewer stay at home parents and thus the kids are in daycare or after-school programs.

Parents are often commuting or working, both of which take time out of the day that could be spent taking a walk or something.
  • laura2137
    laura2137 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    During war, obese people didn't exist. it all the convenient prepackaged and cheap food ready available, we eat too much and the wrong food too....and we don't move walk eccetera......in the 50 they were all slim.....so what happen ? Do the genetic changed ? I don't think so.......
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Evolution!!!!

Natural Selection!

no

No one else is gonna say it??

Survival of the fattest!!!!!!

Pfft, I know better. I've seen Zombieland. ;)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Sloth2016 wrote: »
    peter2100 wrote: »
    There must have been a huge genetic shift since the 1950s then! This is unprecedented in evolutionary history!

Meh. Everybody probably gained weight when we evolved opposable thumbs. ;)

What's your opposition to thumbs? They seem like a good idea to me.

Two thumbs up. :)
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    laura2137 wrote: »
    During war, obese people didn't exist. it all the convenient prepackaged and cheap food ready available, we eat too much and the wrong food too....and we don't move walk eccetera......in the 50 they were all slim.....so what happen ? Do the genetic changed ? I don't think so.......

My grandparents/great-grandparents/great-uncles/uncles/parents were/are all overweight/obese-they must have not gotten the 'no one was fat during war/the 50s' memo :p

And what is a 'wrong' food? Because weight loss, weight gain, and weight maintenance comes down to CICO. Do we seriously have to revisit the Twinkie guy again?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

The prevalence of food and variety of food choices as well as the increasingly sedentary lifestyles of individuals has been discussed in this thread as likely being a large contributor to obesity. What are the "wrong foods" you refer to?

Personally in my case "wrong foods" are Processed Carbs. With effort I can gain weight eating No processed foods but my total carbs have to be > 50 grams daily.

The energy in the carbs may not be the direct issue but for some reason eating more than 50 grams of carbs daily drives my appetite out of control.

After two years I know in my case carbs is what trips me up. LCHF gives me great lab results and stopped all high blood pressure and fasting blood glucose health concerns for two years now.

Plus this WOE manages my pain well and yields a better mental and emotional state of mind which puts a smile on my face and those who have to live and work with me. :)

Genetics and will power may be factors in humans we all can agree.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

The prevalence of food and variety of food choices as well as the increasingly sedentary lifestyles of individuals has been discussed in this thread as likely being a large contributor to obesity. What are the "wrong foods" you refer to?

Personally in my case "wrong foods" are Processed Carbs. With effort I can gain weight eating No processed foods but my total carbs have to be > 50 grams daily.

So you believe that in many or most traditional cultures, eating traditional foods (or how we did in the US in the 1940s or 1950s) you would have been obese? Even if you had to be active in your daily life, etc.

Hmm.

Then you would have been an outlier and apparently the argument that we wouldn't have been fat in the '40s and '50s isn't accurate.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I think the biggest factor in obesity is the GMO's in our food, honestly. Countries without GMO's don't have these large-scale obesity problems. That being said, modern humans eat way too much food and don't get enough exercise. I'm not talking about going to the gym, I'm talking about just walking more daily. When I lived in Europe or even in NYC for that matter, I walked everywhere - to the corner store, to the train, to the bus, to the grocery store. And in those kinds of neighborhoods, you don't see the same obesity rates you see elsewhere.
  • Seajolly
    Options

GMO food has more calories than regular food?

No, they don't contain more calories. There has been research on rats fed GMO's and rats not fed GMO's. The rats who were fed the GMO's consumed more calories than the ones not fed them. Their appetites were larger and so they ate more than their counterparts not fed any food containing GMO's. They also were not able to digest the GMO food as well as the non-GMO food, further causing weight gain than just the additional calories craved. I don't really buy ANY of the statements from the FDA that say that GMO's are perfectly safe. Countries all over the world are doing research that states otherwise. Obesity rates started rising quickly as soon as GMO's were introduced to our food. It's not a coincidence. And I believe the US wants us to be overweight, honestly. Obesity is big business and great for the economy.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Seajolly wrote: »

GMO food has more calories than regular food?

No, they don't contain more calories. There has been research on rats fed GMO's and rats not fed GMO's. The rats who were fed the GMO's consumed more calories than the ones not fed them. Their appetites were larger and so they ate more than their counterparts not fed any food containing GMO's. They also were not able to digest the GMO food as well as the non-GMO food, further causing weight gain than just the additional calories craved. I don't really buy ANY of the statements from the FDA that say that GMO's are perfectly safe. Countries all over the world are doing research that states otherwise. Obesity rates started rising quickly as soon as GMO's were introduced to our food. It's not a coincidence. And I believe the US wants us to be overweight, honestly. Obesity is big business and great for the economy.

So how do you explain all the people who eat GMO foods and aren't overweight or obese, and are in good health?

Also, can you post links to the studies you're referring to so we can take a look at them thanks!
  • Seajolly
    Options

So how do you explain all the people who eat GMO foods and aren't overweight or obese, and are in good health?

Also, can you post links to the studies you're referring to so we can take a look at them thanks!

I don't believe it affects everyone, as I do believe genetics are involved as well. Here are some articles on the studies if you want to read up on it:

prevention.com/food/healthy-eating-tips/gmo-foods-linked-weight-gain

naturalsociety.com/how-gmo-foods-feed-junk-food-profits-not-the-world/

sciencenordic.com/growing-fatter-gm-diet

https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3133759/