Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

NYT article about obesity stating it's genetic, not lack of willpower

Options

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I just saw this article in the New York Times today:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/01/health/americans-obesity-willpower-genetics-study.html?&moduleDetail=section-news-2&action=click&contentCollection=Health&region=Footer&module=MoreInSection&version=WhatsNext&contentID=WhatsNext&pgtype=article&_r=0

I don't generally tend to put much stock in what the NYT says, but is it possible that obesity can't be helped by willpower? Should we bother to try to lose weight? My first thought about this is that it's a load of crap, but if it's what science says how can I dispute it?

@BrunetteRunner87 weight gain is seldom a will power factor in my view. For some physical/mental reason we over eat. Often due to failing health for some reason we may eat more to get more energy or comfort.

The first step to lose weight may best be to learn the physical/mental reason we over eat.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/01/health/americans-obesity-willpower-genetics-study.html?&moduleDetail=section-news-2&action=click&contentCollection=Health&region=Footer&module=MoreInSection&version=WhatsNext&contentID=WhatsNext&pgtype=article&_r=0

I don't generally tend to put much stock in what the NYT says, but is it possible that obesity can't be helped by willpower? Should we bother to try to lose weight? My first thought about this is that it's a load of crap, but if it's what science says how can I dispute it?

@BrunetteRunner87 weight gain is seldom a will power factor in my view. For some physical/mental reason we over eat. Often due to failing health for some reason we may eat more to get more energy or comfort.

The first step to lose weight may best be to learn the physical/mental reason we over eat.

How many of the 66% of the US population that is overweight or obese do you think had failing health before getting overweight?

Considering the childhood obesity rates, I'm sure a good chunk of those live in bodies that have never not been fat.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

How many of the 66% of the US population that is overweight or obese do you think had failing health before getting overweight?

Considering the childhood obesity rates, I'm sure a good chunk of those live in bodies that have never not been fat.

Gale's argument seems to be that people can't help overeating because their failing health makes them do it. That ignores the fact that for the most part the failing health is CAUSED by the overweight/obesity. There is no evidence that bad health causes people on average to get fat or that it is the reason for the huge increase in US obesity rate. It's that that seems to me to be an effort to say that people are not responsible for the fact they became overweight or have no control over it.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Gale's argument seems to be that people can't help overeating because their failing health makes them do it. That ignores the fact that for the most part the failing health is CAUSED by the overweight/obesity. There is no evidence that bad health causes people on average to get fat or that it is the reason for the huge increase in US obesity rate. It's that that seems to me to be an effort to say that people are not responsible for the fact they became overweight or have no control over it.

Oh, I know what he was saying, and I was by no means validating it. My statement was merely point of fact to Anvil's response. I can't help but wonder if we're eventually headed for a point where obesity related diseases are just considered part of human existence, due to the fact that so many are fat as *kitten* before they even hit puberty.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

...weight gain is seldom a will power factor in my view. For some physical/mental reason we over eat. Often due to failing health for some reason we may eat more to get more energy or comfort.

That was true for me. My health was failing long before I gained weight. I have a few autoimmune issues, a couple of which took a few decades to figure out. My activity level dropped significantly due to pain and lack of energy, and I did eat more for energy. There's only so much coffee and sleep one can get and still get through a day.

I started gaining weight more quickly once I had insulin resistance. I ended up with reactive hypoglycemia so I had to eat every couple of hours or I was a shaky mess.

Once my health issues were addressed, weight loss was much easier. I agree that weight loss is not just about will power for everyone. Other issues need to be addressed first, whether they are genetic, mental or physical issues.
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    peter2100 wrote: »
    There must have been a huge genetic shift since the 1950s then! This is unprecedented in evolutionary history!

Meh. Everybody probably gained weight when we evolved opposable thumbs. ;)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Sloth2016 wrote: »
    There must have been a huge genetic shift since the 1950s then! This is unprecedented in evolutionary history!

What's your opposition to thumbs? They seem like a good idea to me.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

They make it far too easy to repeatedly pick up Snackwells. Do they even still make those, or did they die when people realized low-fat was dumb?
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

They make it far too easy to repeatedly pick up Snackwells. Do they even still make those, or did they die when people realized low-fat was dumb?

No, they're still around. Saw them on the end cap at the grocery store this weekend.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

No, they're still around. Saw them on the end cap at the grocery store this weekend.

Well, it's good to see that the Atkin's bar's equally ugly older sibling is still around.