Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

NYT article about obesity stating it's genetic, not lack of willpower

Options

Replies

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    erickirb wrote: »
    If it were genetics, why do we now have more obesity than 20 years ago?

I heard it was because of cats.

Seriously just laughed out loud and my son is asking me if I'm ok LOL! Just got done reading that other thread :D
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    If it were genetics, why do we now have more obesity than 20 years ago?

This is always my thought.

Sure, there are genetic predispositions that might make some of us find it more difficult to resist the various environmental influences on obesity, but that doesn't mean we CAN'T, just that it might take a little more thought or attention or other strategies.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    As far as I'm concerned it's a scaremongering piece of *kitten*, not even very well written, that rests on a 'representative' survey of barely 1'500 people. How that can be representative is beyond me to be honest.

It's kind of like making a soup. Sometimes you stir it, sometimes you pull a spoonful out to taste it and see if you need to add anything. You don't have to eat the entire soup to know it needs more salt, that would defeat the purpose, you just have to sample a spoonful.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    As far as I'm concerned it's a scaremongering piece of *kitten*, not even very well written, that rests on a 'representative' survey of barely 1'500 people. How that can be representative is beyond me to be honest.

It's kind of like making a soup. Sometimes you stir it, sometimes you pull a spoonful out to taste it and see if you need to add anything. You don't have to eat the entire soup to know it needs more salt, that would defeat the purpose, you just have to sample a spoonful.

True. But a soup is supposed to be homogeneous. Meaning if you taste one spoonful you taste the whole and can accurately judge from that whether you've dumped too much salt in or not. I'm having trouble believing that you can represent the views of a country's population with 1500 people. I find it ridiculous in my country (8 million inhabitants), I find it even more ridiculous in a country of the US's proportions.

I also often wonder how they select the 'representative' people they survey. Not to mention, how honest the answers are. Anything based on a representative survey tends to leave a bitter aftertaste in my mouth as there's just too many factors that don't add up in my mind. Not to mention I know how so-so I tend to answer surveys myself. (Agreed, that's just me, but still... I tend to assume the worst of everyone).

That it then warrants an article in the NYTimes... :neutral:
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I understand. I totally don't believe airplanes can fly. I mean, they're made out of metal, and metal is really heavy. Way heavier than air, for sure. The idea is ridiculous. And yet planes fly every day. Just like representative surveys can predict who will be elected. Because they work, if done properly, even if some people don't believe it.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    I understand. I totally don't believe airplanes can fly. I mean, they're made out of metal, and metal is really heavy. Way heavier than air, for sure. The idea is ridiculous. And yet planes fly every day. Just like representative surveys can predict who will be elected. Because they work, if done properly, even if some people don't believe it.

I guess I've just see too many badly executed representative surveys to truly be able to believe in them anymore. It doesn't help this one's case that it was sponsored by a society who promotes bariatric surgery or the somewhat lamentable level of the article which brought it to our attention. I'm all for good packaging.

(as for the airplanes... it's magic! And I should have kept my nose out of my father's aerodynamics course. It totally ruined the magic for me :wink: )
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    The survey may be rubbish (I don't know), but I do get the impression that there are a lot of people who think obesity is caused by lack of willpower.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I agree with others here that it's got to be something other than genetic predisposition. Eating is highly social in humans and food culture varies tremendously, even within relatively small regions (e.g., neighborhoods). We decide what we put into our mouths.

Children learn habits from their parents, including food choice, food prep, food volume, food frequency; healthy, active lifestyle or sedentary, etc. If an overweight child's parents are obese, I would assume that the child learned how and what to eat from them.

I presume that the "hundreds of genes that can predispose to obesity" mentioned in the article are at least partly determined from studies of separated twins... but how do you know that you've accounted for family lifestyle, activity, eating habits, regional, social, economic, and cultural factors in those studies?

• Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    My point wasn't really about whether there are other causes of obesity, but about whether the general gist of the article might be correct (that people tend to attribute obesity to lack of willpower). I've certainly heard people talk as if they're making this assumption. So yes, the survey may have uncovered something true about how people think about obesity.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    It's because we are eating more meat then back in the 70's.

I kid I kid!

I tend to lean towards poor decision making because food doesn't fly into our mouths, we have to make that decision to eat it. But that would be a little to simple because there so much misinformation out there it becomes confusing as to what to do. There are too many "rules" by "experts" and almost zero information on how to keep the weight off.

There's my sophomoric stab at it.