Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

NYT article about obesity stating it's genetic, not lack of willpower

Options
I just saw this article in the New York Times today:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/01/health/americans-obesity-willpower-genetics-study.html?&moduleDetail=section-news-2&action=click&contentCollection=Health&region=Footer&module=MoreInSection&version=WhatsNext&contentID=WhatsNext&pgtype=article&_r=0

I don't generally tend to put much stock in what the NYT says, but is it possible that obesity can't be helped by willpower? Should we bother to try to lose weight? My first thought about this is that it's a load of crap, but if it's what science says how can I dispute it?

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Since it's genetic, can I eat more food again? I'm obese anyway.

What @GottaBurnEmAll said.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,955 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    If it were genetics, why do we now have more obesity than 20 years ago?

Evolution!!!!

Natural Selection!

no
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Evolution!!!!

Natural Selection!

no

evolution takes generations and natural selection even longer, like in the 100's if not 1000's of years to show up.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options

Good point. But if it was willpower, then why do we apparently have much less willpower than 20 years ago?

And why do I apparently have much less willpower than I did 20 years ago? But more than I did four years ago, when I was heavier?

I think it has to be mixture of genetics and other factors. I find it difficult to believe it's just down to a massive decrease in the population's willpower.
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Genetics is not destiny. Even something like height is mutable by environmental conditions.

On the flip side, saying something is NOT entirely genetic is not the same as saying it IS a choice.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Also, I don't know if this makes much difference statistically, but people are getting taller (in the UK at least, but it might be a general trend). If you look at the BMI calculations, taller people have a higher BMI than shorter people with the same proportions.

There was a study of body sizes done a few years ago in the UK, comparing to a study done in 1951. I was surpised to see that the average woman a few years ago was only 7.5 lb heavier than the average woman in 1951. Those few pounds are enough to take a lot of people over the threshold for overweight.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Vailara wrote: »

Good point. But if it was willpower, then why do we apparently have much less willpower than 20 years ago?

And why do I apparently have much less willpower than I did 20 years ago? But more than I did four years ago, when I was heavier?

I think it has to be mixture of genetics and other factors. I find it difficult to believe it's just down to a massive decrease in the population's willpower.

The problem is complex and multi-factorial, but it certainly doesn't just come down to genetics. To ignore the multitude of involved factors/issues cascading upon each other is a shallow, one-dimensional approach which will accomplish nothing.