Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

I am firmly in the camp that aspartame is not safe. I don't care if others want to fill their bodies with it. So be it. But I do not believe it is safe and I do not believe AT ALL that this issue is settled in the health community. Having read plenty on how aspartame got approved by the FDA was just the beginning (besides my own experience). The FDA lists 92 side effects of aspartame. No thank you. To each his own. People can drink away all they want. My issue is the attacks on people that are putting out another view point. I do not bow at the feet of "studies" because a huge majority of them are backgrounded by the industry themselves. I believe nothing coming out of the FDA. They are completely corrupt as far as I'm concerned.

Just wanting to point out the irony of you stating that one of the reasons you avoid aspartame is because the FDA lists 92 side effects. Then in the next breath you say you believe nothing that the FDA says because they are completely corrupt.

You can't suck and blow at the same time. ;)

Wait!!! I can suck and blow at the same time ;)

You are truly talented, my friend. ;)
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    For example, if someone says the FDA reports 98 known side effects of aspartame, it should be trivially easy to point to the FDA listing them and identifying them in an official source, no?

Since I know exactly where this claim comes from and it proves how ron didn't actually even research his own sources and is just repeating something he heard somewhere, let me enlighten you.

Here: http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dailys/03/jan03/012203/02p-0317_emc-000199.txt

This is what the FDA calls a docket. What is a docket you may ask?

"The system allows consumers to access FDA's administrative proceedings and rule-making documents more readily, including Federal Registers, Petitions, supporting documents and comments."

and "By law, anyone can participate in the rule-making process by commenting in writing on rules FDA proposes. FDA routinely allows plenty of time for public input and carefully considers these comments when it draws up a final rule."

The link above is a docket comment sent TO the FDA by a certain Mark Gold of the Aspartame Toxicity Information Center, which appears to consist of Mark Gold, Mark Gold, Mark Gold and Mark Gold. A google search of the Center shows you exactly what kind of people use that as their source.

And right now, I can either choose to get my workout in or sit here and argue with people and lose my workout time. I'd rather workout. It burns more calories.

Oddly, most of my posts on here some from rest periods while I'm working out. Not a shocker though at your thought process. On MFP all the time must equal "puts MFP ahead of working out". Just another correlation does not equal causation. Who usually likes to use correlation as a defense? Quacks.

I did not say being on mfp meant one is putting it ahead of working out so don't put words in mouth. I specifically said *I* had a choice to make.

As for the fda link and not trusting the fda, I was simply trying to grab a link off of a page that most of you worship as truth. Had I posted a link from an alternative site (which, quite frankly, I inadvertently did anyway) someone would have said it wasn't a valid site. So no matter what I had posted with that information you would have blown it off anyway. There is no point with you people.

And Aaron, for the record, that was not an underhanded compliment. It was absolutely sincere. I have not read everything you've ever posted on mfp. Sorry you can't take it for what it was.

FWIW my homeopath was a chemist for 10yrs before she went back to school to become a homeopath. She's amazingly intelligent and her chemistry background has proven useful in her practice.

Have a nice day folks. Time for me to get to work.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

I am firmly in the camp that aspartame is not safe. I don't care if others want to fill their bodies with it. So be it. But I do not believe it is safe and I do not believe AT ALL that this issue is settled in the health community. Having read plenty on how aspartame got approved by the FDA was just the beginning (besides my own experience). The FDA lists 92 side effects of aspartame. No thank you. To each his own. People can drink away all they want. My issue is the attacks on people that are putting out another view point. I do not bow at the feet of "studies" because a huge majority of them are backgrounded by the industry themselves. I believe nothing coming out of the FDA. They are completely corrupt as far as I'm concerned.

Just wanting to point out the irony of you stating that one of the reasons you avoid aspartame is because the FDA lists 92 side effects. Then in the next breath you say you believe nothing that the FDA says because they are completely corrupt.

You can't suck and blow at the same time. ;)

Glad I'm not the only one who caught that.
  • WJS_jeepster
    WJS_jeepster Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Chilli7777 wrote: »
    Any type of soda, sugar free or otherwise, expands the tummy and will make you feel hungry. Diet coke is so full of chemicals. It wont hinder your weight loss if you dont eat extra food, but it is bad for youe overall health in so many othet ways. Personally I dont touch it.

Why oh why do actual adults use the word "tummy" in reference to themselves? I said it to my kids up until they were about 4 and then had to stop because I felt so ridiculous saying it...

On topic - I feel like Diet Coke helps me with staying within my calories, as I consider it a free treat each afternoon. (Calorie free, not $ free). I've never added up how much money I spend annually on DC, but it's less than on coffee for sure.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    You know a chemist who believes that water has a memory and the more you dilute a substance the more potent its effect? Can...can you get this person on here to talk that is fascinating. If you can't then you probably shouldn't claim legitimacy based on interactions with a person we will never have the chance to interact with ourselves.

In some countries, at least, they use the terms "homeopath" and "naturopath" interchangeably. I know this because my cousin calls herself a homeopath when what she actually practices is naturopathy.

As for the "would you feed a baby Diet Coke" nonsense - no, I wouldn't feed either of my kids Diet Coke because they are still growing and they need to gain weight. So, I would not feed them any diet product. That doesn't mean that I, as an adult who needs to lose weight, shouldn't drink the diet product.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    You know a chemist who believes that water has a memory and the more you dilute a substance the more potent its effect? Can...can you get this person on here to talk that is fascinating. If you can't then you probably shouldn't claim legitimacy based on interactions with a person we will never have the chance to interact with ourselves.

In some countries, at least, they use the terms "homeopath" and "naturopath" interchangeably. I know this because my cousin calls herself a homeopath when what she actually practices is naturopathy.

As for the "would you feed a baby Diet Coke" nonsense - no, I wouldn't feed either of my kids Diet Coke because they are still growing and they need to gain weight. So, I would not feed them any diet product. That doesn't mean that I, as an adult who needs to lose weight, shouldn't drink the diet product.

+1

Lately it seems that all of my social circle are using homeopath, naturopath, holistic interchangeably. I don't think they realize there're differences.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

+1

Lately it seems that all of my social circle are using homeopath, naturopath, holistic interchangeably. I don't think they realize there're differences.

Add in organic and you have the holy quartet. ;)