Diet Cokes ?

Options

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    @amandapleighse92 @August_1958 Those links aren't taken seriously because there's not a shred of scientific evidence in them.
    University of Texas Health Center and the Harvard Medical School says diet sodas ARE in fact bad for you. Read the study here...

https://bionews-tx.com/news/2013/05/23/ut-health-science-center-study-reveals-how-diet-soda-contributes-to-obesity-poor-health/

I personally do not and never have consumed any diet drink in my life, so I cannot state my own personal opinion whether it helps or hinders a weight loss regime. I have had several bad reactions to desserts that were made with artificial sweeteners, which is why I have elected to stay clear of all artificial sweeteners. Let me add, I do not drink regular soda either. Let your preference and conscious lead you to your decision. If you LOVE Diet Coke and it helps you lose weight, the choice is yours! ;)

Please provide links to the actual studies. That article was not a study, merely a layman's synopsis.

^Agreed.

Come on, guys...it's like playing Frisbee by yourself.

Wouldn't that be good for calorie burn, though? :)

I guess it would. :lol:
    Then we can all have a nice tall glass of cold diet....
    Oh. Wait. It's the new Devil now. We'll leave this one to Sam and Dean.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    tomdomurat wrote: »
    Do you or someone you know have a young baby....Would you give them DIET COKE??.... WHY NOT?!
    Do you see animals in nature drinking Diet Coke?..... WHY NOT?!
    If you have a dog and/or cat, would you give them Diet Coke?.... WHY NOT?!

These are "chemical" ingredients of Diet Coke:
    Carbonated water, caramel color, aspartame, phosphoric acid, potassium benzoate (to protect taste), natural flavors, citric acid, caffeine.

Aspartame:
    What appears to happen is that when a person eats something artificially sweetened, your body knows the difference. It knows there are no calories to deal with, so leptin is not released to trigger satiety.
    And when leptin is not released, ghrelin continues to be released, causing us to eat more.
    This leads to weight gain instead of loss.

Caramel Color:
    Caramel coloring uses a combination of sulfites and ammonium.
    This concentrated dark brown mixture of chemicals does not occur in nature.

Phosphoric Acid:
    Phosphoric acid in its pure form is a colorless, odorless crystal extracted from rocks with sulfuric acid or by burning off elemental phosphorus and adding water to the byproduct.
    It’s a corrosive acid and can form toxic fumes when it comes into contact with alcohols, ketones and other organic compounds.
    It’s used in fertilizers, livestock feed, soaps, polishes, dyes, polishing metals and in many other nonfood products.
    It’s added to soft drinks to provide a sharper, tangy taste and to help slow the growth of molds and bacteria in sugary formulas.

Potassium Benzoate:
    Potassium benzoate is a chemical preservative that is commonly added to some foods and drinks, but most notably soft drinks.
    It is an effective preservative because it blocks the growth of some bacteria, yeast and mold.

Caffeine:
    Linked to many side affects such as Insomnia, Nervousness, Restlessness, Irritability, Stomach upsets, Fast heartbeat, Muscle tremors.

This is a joke, right? This has to be a joke. Those first three lines..... I can't even. Is this the logic we are supposed to use? So the only things we are allowed to eat or drink are the things we feed babies, domesticated animals, and that wild animals would have access to and choose for themselves? That's really going to limit my dinner menu... Dry Dog food? Nope. Baby can't chew it. Pureed baby food? Nope - the deer can't open the Gerber jar with their hooves. Well crap.

My dog eats cat crap? So following @tomdomurat's logic, do I have to feed my kids cat crap?

Mine does too!!!! So disgusting. Well, I hope my kids are ready for what's on the menu for tonight!

Let them eat cake.

Kitty litter cake, that is!

dczaw9vm734o.jpg

Here's the recipe:

http://www.kristianhoffman.com/kitty-litter.htm

I love that it was made clear that you should use a NEW little box, and a NEW litter scoop :laugh:

It's waaay too realistic looking. Especially the 'poop' hanging off the edge of the tray. The person who made it has obviously met my cat. Though to be perfectly accurate, there would also be fake litter sprayed around the tray as well as in it.

Mine too. I don't know how they manage it.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    tomdomurat wrote: »
    Do you or someone you know have a young baby....Would you give them DIET COKE??.... WHY NOT?!
    Do you see animals in nature drinking Diet Coke?..... WHY NOT?!
    If you have a dog and/or cat, would you give them Diet Coke?.... WHY NOT?!

These are "chemical" ingredients of Diet Coke:
    Carbonated water, caramel color, aspartame, phosphoric acid, potassium benzoate (to protect taste), natural flavors, citric acid, caffeine.

Aspartame:
    What appears to happen is that when a person eats something artificially sweetened, your body knows the difference. It knows there are no calories to deal with, so leptin is not released to trigger satiety.
    And when leptin is not released, ghrelin continues to be released, causing us to eat more.
    This leads to weight gain instead of loss.

Caramel Color:
    Caramel coloring uses a combination of sulfites and ammonium.
    This concentrated dark brown mixture of chemicals does not occur in nature.

Phosphoric Acid:
    Phosphoric acid in its pure form is a colorless, odorless crystal extracted from rocks with sulfuric acid or by burning off elemental phosphorus and adding water to the byproduct.
    It’s a corrosive acid and can form toxic fumes when it comes into contact with alcohols, ketones and other organic compounds.
    It’s used in fertilizers, livestock feed, soaps, polishes, dyes, polishing metals and in many other nonfood products.
    It’s added to soft drinks to provide a sharper, tangy taste and to help slow the growth of molds and bacteria in sugary formulas.

Potassium Benzoate:
    Potassium benzoate is a chemical preservative that is commonly added to some foods and drinks, but most notably soft drinks.
    It is an effective preservative because it blocks the growth of some bacteria, yeast and mold.

Caffeine:
    Linked to many side affects such as Insomnia, Nervousness, Restlessness, Irritability, Stomach upsets, Fast heartbeat, Muscle tremors.

This is a joke, right? This has to be a joke. Those first three lines..... I can't even. Is this the logic we are supposed to use? So the only things we are allowed to eat or drink are the things we feed babies, domesticated animals, and that wild animals would have access to and choose for themselves? That's really going to limit my dinner menu... Dry Dog food? Nope. Baby can't chew it. Pureed baby food? Nope - the deer can't open the Gerber jar with their hooves. Well crap.

My dog eats cat crap? So following @tomdomurat's logic, do I have to feed my kids cat crap?

Mine does too!!!! So disgusting. Well, I hope my kids are ready for what's on the menu for tonight!

Let them eat cake.

Kitty litter cake, that is!

dczaw9vm734o.jpg

Here's the recipe:

http://www.kristianhoffman.com/kitty-litter.htm

I love that it was made clear that you should use a NEW little box, and a NEW litter scoop :laugh:

It's waaay too realistic looking. Especially the 'poop' hanging off the edge of the tray. The person who made it has obviously met my cat. Though to be perfectly accurate, there would also be fake litter sprayed around the tray as well as in it.

Mine too. I don't know how they manage it.

They're cats. They plan that *kitten*.
  • Mary_Anastasia
    Mary_Anastasia Posts: 267 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I have been drinking diet coke since I was 4 years old. I have to say I really truly love it and will probably never give it up entirely. However, just like anything, it's best in moderation. Caramel coloring, aspartame, metal packaging, etc -> I feel having more than 2-3 a day could have a negative effect in some manner down the road. I used to drink about a liter per day, but I have cut back and drink about 1 glass every 2 days, which I make at home with soda stream (and actual Diet Coke brand fountain syrup, lucky me!). It has never affected my weight or cravings that I can tell, but I would have to assume that water is always what's best for you, so I've gotten quite used to drinking a lot more ice water these days and enjoying my diet coke as a bubbly treat :)
  • smicci1
    smicci1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My husband can drink diet soda no problem...He only drinks them in moderation (like when we are out at a restaurant). At home we typically only drink water.

I, however, can't have anything with aspartame in it. A few years ago, I was drinking diet green tea. I hated plain water, and it had zero calories. After months of drinking it, I started experiencing vision problems, numbness in my legs (started walking with a limp), and debilitating migraines. My doctor thought I had M.S. Thousands of dollars in medical tests later, we figured out it was aspartame poisoning. Some people just don't do well with it...I'm one of them.

I was excited when pepsi took aspartame out, just to experience soda again. However, I can't handle the carbonation, and end up feeling bloated after drinking it. LOL, I'll just stay away from it, but I don't begrudge anyone that can handle it :)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    It's the daily flogging!