Diet Cokes ?

Options

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

That seems like internet begging. At least this way I'm doing a goods for services and can feel productive. :laugh:
    Frank Gallagher would be SO proud....

3b83ai4g8up6.jpg

That's not Frank, this is Frank:

latest?cb=20120315184754

Flipping Americans, coming over here, stealing our amazingly awesome dramas... (well, when I say 'here', I don't mean 'here', because I'm now in Australia, but 'here', the UK)

Ugh. No, just no.
    I'm an Aussie. I've watched both versions and I fall asleep during the UK version. You've obviously never even given the US version a chance. At least I've given the original a chance. Of course the US couldn't relate to the UK version hence the US version. They are quite different. And for the record, your rant about "Americans stealing UK shows"? Don't get me started on the opposite.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    Chilli7777 wrote: »
    Any type of soda, sugar free or otherwise, expands the tummy and will make you feel hungry. Diet coke is so full of chemicals. It wont hinder your weight loss if you dont eat extra food, but it is bad for youe overall health in so many othet ways. Personally I dont touch it.

And here I was pretty sure that the stomach stretching is one of the physical signals of fullness and why so many are successful at killing hunger with large volumes of food.

Yes. It gives me such a headache when someone says "drink water to make your stomach feel full and you won't feel hungry" and then "don't drink soda because it makes your stomach feel full and you'll get hungrier." Please stop it.

IME water does nothing to stave off hunger, but the sweet flavor of soda helps tide me over in between meals.
  • z4oslo
    z4oslo Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    pinkste78 wrote: »
    Do diet cokes hinder weight loss in any way other than make you hungrier ? They don't make me more hungry, even though there has been studies that say they do. I just want to know what do regular people who have lost weight think about them.Thanks !

Is diet coke bad for you?

In all honesty, I dont know. I drink my diet coke daily, but im trying to reduce it. (in the past i would drink 1-2 liters daily, now im down to 0,5L)

I see most people here say its totally harmless. I think thats a bold statement, because history shows us that "science" cant always be trusted.

Smoking was not bad for you either for many many many years - untill it was.
    Sugar - any amount of sugar - was not bad for you either - untill it was.

And thy had science to back it those claims... paid science.

Alot of research has been done on aspartam as well, and most of that research has been paid by coca-cola and other companies that uses aspartam in their products.

My concern is this: independent studies is often dismissed, while industry-funded studies often are not.
    aspartam is no exception.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    z4oslo wrote: »
    Do diet cokes hinder weight loss in any way other than make you hungrier ? They don't make me more hungry, even though there has been studies that say they do. I just want to know what do regular people who have lost weight think about them.Thanks !

In all honesty, I dont know. I drink my diet coke daily, but im trying to reduce it. (in the past i would drink 1-2 liters daily, now im down to 0,5L)

I see most people here say its totally harmless. I think thats a bold statement, because history shows us that "science" cant always be trusted.

Alot of research has been done on aspartam as well, and most of that research has been paid by coca-cola and other companies that uses aspartam in their products.

My concern is this: independent studies is often dismissed, while industry-funded studies often are not.

Neither of those things are actually true.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options

I posted my latest health screening/blood test a few pages back-I drink diet soda daily and I'm in excellent health and weight. I have actual hard data showing that diet soda is not causing weight gain/high glucose numbers etc etc (what others are claiming happens when diet soda is consumed). So for me personally, the whole 'is diet soda evil' debate makes me roll my eyes just a little bit :p
  • z4oslo
    Options

Neither of those things are actually true.

ok then ..
  • z4oslo
    Options

I posted my latest health screening/blood test a few pages back-I drink diet soda daily and I'm in excellent health and weight. I have actual hard data showing that diet soda is not causing weight gain/high glucose numbers etc etc (what others are claiming happens when diet soda is consumed). So for me personally, the whole 'is diet soda evil' debate makes me roll my eyes just a little bit :p

Im not a fear mongering type. Fear mongering contributes to nothing good other that a great deal of confusion. Anything in moderation is most likely a safe bet in life - and something that most of us can live by.

My point was this: I would not throw out advice on a forum claiming that aspartam will do you no harm, because I simply cant say for sure.

And as i also said, I drink my diet coke daily.
  • z4oslo
    Options

I don't understand this tinfoil-hat type of thinking. I get that it is beneficial to be skeptical of a lot of things. I'm skeptical of anything that Dr. Oz claims, for example.

But the fact that the ingredients in diet soda are very well-known components that have been shown time and time again to have no real negative effects in the amounts that we consume in diet soda is pretty hard to dispute. Aspartame, for example, is made of two amino acids which are consumed in much larger quantities basically every day by everyone. Why would you think that this is harmful? Is it because it's sweet? Is it because you are afraid that the companies manufacturing it are not being honest about what it's made of and that every company producing aspartame is adding this secret poison ingredient and no one has found out about it yet? Is it because of the scary sounding name? I'm genuinely curious.

What independent studies are you referring to? Can you post some of them?

When you start your sentence with "tin foil hat thinking" im seriously losing interest in having any kind of debate with you.

Also, i see my original post was marked as flagged - not saying its you but man ...

• Dreamyriver
    Dreamyriver Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

That seems like internet begging. At least this way I'm doing a goods for services and can feel productive. :laugh:
    Frank Gallagher would be SO proud....

3b83ai4g8up6.jpg

That's not Frank, this is Frank:

latest?cb=20120315184754

Flipping Americans, coming over here, stealing our amazingly awesome dramas... (well, when I say 'here', I don't mean 'here', because I'm now in Australia, but 'here', the UK)

Ugh. No, just no.
    I'm an Aussie. I've watched both versions and I fall asleep during the UK version. You've obviously never even given the US version a chance. At least I've given the original a chance. Of course the US couldn't relate to the UK version hence the US version. They are quite different. And for the record, your rant about "Americans stealing UK shows"? Don't get me started on the opposite.

There's only one person ranting here and it ain't me. My comment was a joke, a play on the whinge from Brits about Americans during World War 2, sorry if you failed to comprehend that before you took umbrage, I shall endeavour to do better next time.

And I did give the US one a chance, was excited in fact to find it aired here - it would have been much better (in my opinion) if they'd just taken the idea as inspiration and made it their own and changed the character names, rather than causing a huge disconnect, more like they did with Archie Bunker when they adapted Alf Garnett. Anyhoo, none of this is much to do with diet Coke - although unfounded assumptions would put it right up there :) <<smiley face, just for your benefit.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

I don't understand this tinfoil-hat type of thinking. I get that it is beneficial to be skeptical of a lot of things. I'm skeptical of anything that Dr. Oz claims, for example.

But the fact that the ingredients in diet soda are very well-known components that have been shown time and time again to have no real negative effects in the amounts that we consume in diet soda is pretty hard to dispute. Aspartame, for example, is made of two amino acids which are consumed in much larger quantities basically every day by everyone. Why would you think that this is harmful? Is it because it's sweet? Is it because you are afraid that the companies manufacturing it are not being honest about what it's made of and that every company producing aspartame is adding this secret poison ingredient and no one has found out about it yet? Is it because of the scary sounding name? I'm genuinely curious.

When you start your sentence with "tin foil hat thinking" im seriously losing interest in having any kind of debate with you.

Also, i see my original post was marked as flagged - not saying its you but man ...

I don't generally flag posts unless they are legitimately spam or abuse. Even then it's few and far between. So no, not me.

I'm sorry if my term offended you - I honestly don't know how else to put it. Conspiracy theory mindset, perhaps? "I don't understand this [conspiracy theory mindset]." Either way, it just seems silly to me to completely discredit all of the research that has been done on very well-known substances because of where the money came from.

I am still interested in looking at the "independent studies" that you referred to in your post, if you have links to them. Unless responding to the tinfoil hat comment was your way of deflecting my questions so that you didn't have to think about them or answer them. If so, that's fine - I will just assume that you don't have any real answers or studies to post and be on my merry way.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Im not a fear mongering type. Fear mongering contributes to nothing good other that a great deal of confusion. Anything in moderation is most likely a safe bet in life - and something that most of us can live by.

My point was this: I would not throw out advice on a forum claiming that aspartam will do you no harm, because I simply cant say for sure.

And as i also said, I drink my diet coke daily.

I don't get this. People used to say that potatoes were poison and would kill you. I must trust science in believing that they will not, and plus so far I don't seem to be dead, but under your logic, if someone posts "should I give up potatoes? I understand that they are deadly," I would have to say "well, I cannot say for sure." Maybe they will, maybe they won't, maybe you should stop eating them just in case.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    Chilli7777 wrote: »
    Any type of soda, sugar free or otherwise, expands the tummy and will make you feel hungry. Diet coke is so full of chemicals. It wont hinder your weight loss if you dont eat extra food, but it is bad for youe overall health in so many othet ways. Personally I dont touch it.

And here I was pretty sure that the stomach stretching is one of the physical signals of fullness and why so many are successful at killing hunger with large volumes of food.

Yes. It gives me such a headache when someone says "drink water to make your stomach feel full and you won't feel hungry" and then "don't drink soda because it makes your stomach feel full and you'll get hungrier." Please stop it.

It's the bubble's fault. <nods>

• z4oslo
    edited November 2016
    Options

I don't generally flag posts unless they are legitimately spam or abuse. Even then it's few and far between. So no, not me.

I'm sorry if my term offended you - I honestly don't know how else to put it. Conspiracy theory mindset, perhaps? "I don't understand this [conspiracy theory mindset]." Either way, it just seems silly to me to completely discredit all of the research that has been done on very well-known substances because of where the money came from.

I am still interested in looking at the "independent studies" that you referred to in your post, if you have links to them. Unless responding to the tinfoil hat comment was your way of deflecting my questions so that you didn't have to think about them or answer them. If so, that's fine - I will just assume that you don't have any real answers or studies to post and be on my merry way.

Ramazzini studies comes to mind. Independant and dismissed.

But its really besides my point. Im not gonna sit on a forum and claim that Diet-coke is risk free, simply because I DONT KNOW.
    I cant say its the opposite either.

All I know is this: Beeing a little sceptical on the various studies can often be smart.
    And there is ALOT of studies out there claiming all sort of things, and they will often contradict each other because different interests dictates it.

Is a glass red wine daily really benificial for your health?
    What about chocolate?

I dont know, and to be honest, I dont really care, but you wont see me on a forum claiming its good or bad either and THAT was my point.

Now if you excuse me, ill take my tin foil hat and leave this thread behind.