Boyfriends standards of weight?

Options

Replies

• dydn11402
    dydn11402 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    op, please look up the terms codependent and narcissist. they will probably explain a lot to you. it is very typical for a child raised by a narcissist (you mentioned having a parent like this) to become a codependent who then is attracted to a narcissist. (codependents and narcissists are the "perfect match" as they fill each others needs.) also, check out the book The Human Magnet Syndrome by Ross Rosenberg. he explains it very clearly. personally, no offense intended (i truly wish you the best) but i think you need to look into getting yourself therapy to figure out why you would allow yourself to be treated this way and stay in this relationship.
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    he needs to lighten up. I would tell my sons to lighten up. If I had daughters i would tell them not to put up with it.
  • mama_bear91215
    mama_bear91215 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    murder him? that's not exactly leaving lol
    but honestly, i could not be w/anyone who would say that to me!
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    This "man" does not deserve a woman in his life.
    Get out, OP. Get out now. You are well short of him.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    ...is this a troll? I can't imagine being with someone who would criticize my weight, let alone make comments about my intelligence.

No, just a young woman with no previous personal experience of what a healthy relationship looks like.

• littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    This is a pretty sad read, like srsly end with "I don't want to leave him" like actually why?
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    As for how to get out of it, I strongly recommend a therapist. Think of a therapist as just an unbiased third party opinion by someone who has seen this situations over and over and over again. Someone who will not get frustrated with you. If you have a close friend or family you can rely on, let them know what's going on and that you want to leave. When I left, I stayed at a friend's most nights for a while, in case he came by my apartment to find me. You can also find resources for victims of domestic abuse online- even if he's not physically hurting you, he IS abusing you (and it can easily and quickly escalate)- hotlines and other resources can help point you in the direction and give you professional advice. (Btw, I'm not a fan of the word "victim"- if you feel the same way, don't let that stop you, because it does NOT define you! It's okay to admit to being victimized, without labelling yourself as a victim.)

As for dealing with it emotionally, again, having a therapist is a huge help (but if you don't have access to one for whatever reason, again, just Google resources for domestic abuse). Friends and family are great, and it's important to keep your relationships with them going, but it's hard to understand a situation like this unless you've been in it or have professional training, so friends and family with the best intentions can sometimes get frustrated and just not understand why you're upset about leaving such a jerk.

Also, stay busy. Make plans with friends, pick up a hobby, volunteer at an animal shelter or somewhere else, etc. Do NOT coop yourself up in your house and isolate yourself from the world.

Wishing you the best, girl. *hug*
  • kiwiapplepear
    kiwiapplepear Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Wow, hun this guy is really f***Ing with your head.... THAT IS NOT OK... please please reconsider this relationship NOW before it gets worse... this is just a slippery slope... he is trying to demean you to gain power over you, if you lost the "weight" he would just exercise that control in another way...I have been there 3 times in my life and the recovery from these relationships is so hard... please please take on board what these people are telling you... There are beautiful men out there that will love YOU!!! you are not a sex toy, you are a human with a heart and mind, this makes me so angry!!! There will be other things about this relationship that will be hurting you also... no one can be such an *kitten* in ONE area... write a list, get your emotions on paper... pro and cons... you will see this guy is not for you. best wishes....
  • kiwiapplepear
    kiwiapplepear Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    also this is a MASSIVE problem not a "slight problem"
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    to the OP, did you write to dear abby, by any chance? tonight's first letter sounds almost exactly the same - and she gave you the same advice the rest of us did

http://www.uexpress.com/dearabby/2016/11/9/boyfriend-consumed-by-video-games-reveals
  • Leaz947
    Leaz947 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    to the OP, did you write to dear abby, by any chance? tonight's first letter sounds almost exactly the same - and she gave you the same advice the rest of us did

http://www.uexpress.com/dearabby/2016/11/9/boyfriend-consumed-by-video-games-reveals

No, I didn't write about this anywhere else. It's creepy that it's so similar though.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    all these men and women here talking smack about the boyfriend, why don't you pick a gf or bf who is over weight.

A lot of members have talked about being with their partners when they were overweight and their partners loving them through all their sizes. I'm quite certain it goes both ways.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    all these men and women here talking smack about the boyfriend, why don't you pick a gf or bf who is over weight.

I know you're trolling, but this thread isn't the place to pull that crap. 1) The OP is a healthy weight and doesn't need anyone reinforcing the BS her a$$hat boyfriend told her, and 2) this is a potentially dangerous situation that shouldn't be taken lightly.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

Or one that doesn't abuse you. This is well past a weight issue. SMH.
  • PeachesNcreamgal
    PeachesNcreamgal Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    OP you should read chicken soup for the teenage soul. That book full of stories about young girls like you who get called whale and elephant. Basically, you are just one step away from an ED with a guy like that
  • n1terunner
    n1terunner Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Leaz947 wrote: »
    How do I get over this problem? It's really bugging me. Oh, he also gets like this with other things such as my intelligence, calling me a retard, idiot,etc.
    How should I solve all of this?
    (No, I don't want to leave him, sorry)

DTMFA - look it up. You deserve better because no one deserves this.

• Ben_there_done_that
    Options
    I am actually currently in the UK haha, thank you. I'm going to try and approach the matter the next time I see him in person as he is currently on a business trip. Wish me luck :)[/quote]

This thread is still going strong, I see. I was hoping to come back after a few days to see the OP say "I did it!" Cue fireworks and rainbows. Guess I'll have to keep waiting. Good luck!