What's on your mind?

Options

Replies

• your_future_ex_wife
    your_future_ex_wife Posts: 4,278 Member
    Options
    At some point I’m going to have to get a full night’s sleep. These dark circles are *kitten* with my confidence

I slept until 11am this morning! I really needed it, I've been extra 'snippy' lately due to not sleeping properly... lol. Hope you get some rest!

My boys are going away for a few days and I plan on following your lead. 😁
  • _sw33tp3a_11
    _sw33tp3a_11 Posts: 4,692 Member
    Options
    Thinking of a place I can send my kids to for a few days like the ladies above me 😅 this mommy needs a vacation.
  • Deadman_Diggingup
    Deadman_Diggingup Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Am I too old and with too many responsibilities to consider a career (I’d say NEW career path, but sweating in a factory is not really a career)?
  • seepersaud
    seepersaud Posts: 5,759 Member
    Options
    getting my buzz on and enjoying some "me" time
  • your_future_ex_wife
    your_future_ex_wife Posts: 4,278 Member
    Options
    Sofa vs. couch. A mere difference in moniker or does it go deeper?
  • Cowsfan1
    Cowsfan1 Posts: 7,937 Member
    Options
    Am I too old and with too many responsibilities to consider a career (I’d say NEW career path, but sweating in a factory is not really a career)?

Nope - switched jobs after 13 years at place I hated about 5 years ago I was 35 - best move I ever made job wise - was hard to take the leap of unknown though- good luck dude
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options

Neither. Couch and Sofa were terms I'd had to familiarize myself with in America. We call it Settee ( settees or settee set). ETA: We tended to use the term pouffe (poof which was also a slur directed to effeminate men) for the puffy foot stool and chaise or chaise longue, instead of lounger with an emphasis on a more French pronunciation.

I'd always assumed Couch derived from the French word couche. Sofa to me sounds north African or middle eastern, lacking originality in my deduction via the word 'sufi." Simplistic attempt at root word derivative. Lol.
  • 777Gemma888
    Options
    Landlord ... Inept management with constant rescheduling for inspections. Pleased he is finally changing his management company ... She is unprofessional.
  • XxFunctionalStrengthxX
    XxFunctionalStrengthxX Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options

Neither. Couch and Sofa were terms I'd had to familiarize myself with in America. We call it Settee ( settees or settee set). ETA: We tended to use the term pouffe (poof which was also a slur directed to effeminate men) for the puffy foot stool and chaise or chaise longue, instead of lounger with an emphasis on a more French pronunciation.

I'd always assumed Couch derived from the French word couche. Sofa to me sounds north African or middle eastern, lacking originality in my deduction via the word 'sufi." Simplistic attempt at root word derivative. Lol.

Davenport?
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options

Davenport?

Hello S.. nice to see you back 🙂
  • XxFunctionalStrengthxX
    Options

Davenport?

Hello S.. nice to see you back 🙂

Hi Jo, thanks. :)
  • Cowsfan1
    Cowsfan1 Posts: 7,937 Member
    Options
    1sphere wrote: »
    the mainstream media tells people to "love yourself", but what if you're a really weird person, and you love that because of what you've been told? what if you're loving a creep, or some selfish falsehood?
    It's hard to know what way is up, and people seem to be so confident. How can you know that, by being the person you wanted to be, that everything will weigh up correctly for you in the end? or maybe nothing was ever right in the first place!?

spoiler cause I went off on a tangent about "self love"

Thing is - you don’t know my friend - that’s life - and no one can answer your question but you dude - cause everyone’s up is different - it’s what makes us human -
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    perezlau wrote: »
    So penguins have to keep the chick warm while one parent goes out to feed. Once full it comes back and the parents quickly switch the chick so it doesnt freeze and the other parent can now go feed aswell. So if one parent gets eaten while out, does the other parent and chick starve? Does the parent abandon the chick?
    Maybe i'm watching too much Blue Planet.

No such thing as watching too much Blue Planet. I have it in blu-ray. 😳
  • 777Gemma888
    Options

Davenport?

I had always assumed that was American S, much like the Boston Clipper.
  • XxFunctionalStrengthxX
    Options

Davenport?

Yep, pretty much. It was originally a company that made sofas. But, like Kleenex, it's become a generic name even though the company hasn't been around for about a century or so
  • 777Gemma888
    Options

Davenport?

Yep, pretty much. It was originally a company that made sofas. But, like Kleenex, it's become a generic name even though the company hasn't been around for about a century or so

My recall placed the term as American from some Anthony Hopkins movie ... The woman was walking out to the rotunda and the male lead called her to sit with him on the Davenport. Giggling.

Figured as much. My family only knows of the Boston Clipper as it was gifted by our female ancestor's American father as part of her dowry.