US deaths : 22,469

Panic level : chilled

Then:

Corona (2020)
    US cases ~ a few thousand
    US deaths : a few hundred

Panic level : mass hysteria & economic collapse

Why the change of attitude ??

It doesn’t make sense to you that 60 million / got sick ended up dying because everyone was so “chilled” ...

Now people want to be more prepared and take precaution? So that millions don’t have to die???

Sheesh,

Okay, for the sake of clarity, why was the media so chill during the time that 60 million people died ?

Were those lives, in 2009, of less value than the ones today ?
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    I saw an article that said as of yesterday 73000 people have been known to recover, while 5800 have died...

By these numbers, that's a survival rate of 92%, so if 60.8m were infected... We could be looking at as many as 4.86m deaths...

Granted the unknown is how many people have already had it and recovered without even knowing they had it...

But let's take just 10% of that number... It's still 486,000 deaths... 21.5x the death rate of h1n1
  • GettinLean19
    GettinLean19 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    I was thinking.....

H1N1 (2009/2010)
    US cases ~ 60.8 million

Then:

Corona (2020)

It doesn’t make sense to you that 60 million / got sick ended up dying because everyone was so “chilled” ...

Now people want to be more prepared and take precaution? So that millions don’t have to die???

Sheesh,

Okay, for the sake of clarity, why was the media so chill during the time that 60 million people died ?

I was talking to my mom about this this past weekend. Specifically i was saying “remember how worked up they were about the h1n1 virus? That was all the news talked about for months” and she said she didn’t remember the media talking about it really at all. Interesting that we have a different memory of it. Curious how others remember it..
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    I was thinking.....

H1N1 (2009/2010)
    US cases ~ 60.8 million

Then:

Corona (2020)

Sheesh,

I was talking to my mom about this this past weekend. Specifically i was saying “remember how worked up they were about the h1n1 virus? That was all the news talked about for months” and she said she didn’t remember the media talking about it really at all. Interesting that we have a different memory of it. Curious how others remember it..

Maybe I was busy doing other things.... but I can't remember much conversation at all about H1N1.

I'm not saying that there wasn't, I just would have remembered if the markets had tanked and if curfews had been enacted, that's all.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    The way some folks completely miss the point. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Talking about anyone in particular?
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    I saw an article that said as of yesterday 73000 people have been known to recover, while 5800 have died...

By these numbers, that's a survival rate of 92%, so if 60.8m were infected... We could be looking at as many as 4.86m deaths...

Granted the unknown is how many people have already had it and recovered without even knowing they had it...

But let's take just 10% of that number... It's still 486,000 deaths... 21.5x the death rate of h1n1

Here is a very, very good site to track the number of infections, deaths and recoveries:

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Let's hope that we 'nip this in the bud' here stateside, but it might be too late for that as well.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    I was thinking.....

H1N1 (2009/2010)
    US cases ~ 60.8 million

Then:

Corona (2020)

Picture a graph where your x axis is lethality and y axis is rate of transmission, then break it into quadrants. Upper left is chickenpox, low lethality but super rapid spread. Lower right is ebola. Low transmission but high lethality. The upper right quadrant is the worst one to be in and that’s where you’d find measles, polio and smallpox. Lower left is the best case scenario then.

That’s where H1N1 can be found.

This coronavirus is still unknown but best research puts it somewhere on that diagonal line that goes through lower left to upper right. Problem is, they don’t know exactly where yet. They currently have it somewhere between smallpox/measles/polio and h1n1. Like right in the middle. Moderate spread, moderate lethality. Considerably worse than h1n1 in both regards.

So consider h1n1 to be kinda like a practice exam they failed because they were too chill about it. And maybe this virus will be yet another practice test for an even nastier one.

Personally I’m glad they’re taking some guidance from prior epidemics. I mean h1n1 killed that many people?! Sheeesh

@GettinLean19

To be serious for just a quick moment:

This is actually stated quite well and makes a lot of sense; thanks for posting it.

.... I almost believe you.

(I said: 'serious for just a quick moment', okay.)
  • GettinLean19
    Options
    I was thinking.....

H1N1 (2009/2010)
    US cases ~ 60.8 million

Then:

Corona (2020)

Picture a graph where your x axis is lethality and y axis is rate of transmission, then break it into quadrants. Upper left is chickenpox, low lethality but super rapid spread. Lower right is ebola. Low transmission but high lethality. The upper right quadrant is the worst one to be in and that’s where you’d find measles, polio and smallpox. Lower left is the best case scenario then.

This coronavirus is still unknown but best research puts it somewhere on that diagonal line that goes through lower left to upper right. Problem is, they don’t know exactly where yet. They currently have it somewhere between smallpox/measles/polio and h1n1. Like right in the middle. Moderate spread, moderate lethality. Considerably worse than h1n1 in both regards.

So consider h1n1 to be kinda like a practice exam they failed because they were too chill about it. And maybe this virus will be yet another practice test for an even nastier one.

Personally I’m glad they’re taking some guidance from prior epidemics. I mean h1n1 killed that many people?! Sheeesh

@GettinLean19

To be serious for just a quick moment:

This is actually stated quite well and makes a lot of sense; thanks for posting it.

.... I almost believe you.

(I said: 'serious for just a quick moment', okay.)

You’re the worst ❤️
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    iMago wrote: »
    all i know is that-
    in the final days, as my internet slows to a crawl, and the ronaragezombies are closing in, it will have been my pleasure to post memes about the dying of the earth with you fine people

and personally, i plan on my final post being a picture of the earth with a crying michael jordan gif superimposed over it, probably even have a little crying laughing emoji watermark in the corner too.

crying michael jordan..... the gift that keeps on giving

• Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    iMago wrote: »
    all i know is that-
    in the final days, as my internet slows to a crawl, and the ronaragezombies are closing in, it will have been my pleasure to post memes about the dying of the earth with you fine people

and personally, i plan on my final post being a picture of the earth with a crying michael jordan gif superimposed over it, probably even have a little crying laughing emoji watermark in the corner too.

It would be an honor to find the mystery box and throw monkey bombs with you until we run out of ammo my friend... 😂
  • GettinLean19
    Options
    I was thinking.....

H1N1 (2009/2010)
    US cases ~ 60.8 million

Then:

Corona (2020)

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that somebody was in the woods over the weekend doing something they shouldn't have been doing.....

Where would poison oak fit into that little graph of yours ??

DON’T POKE FUN AT MY AFTERNOON ART PROJECT

62uses-for-toilet-paper-rolls-pin-FC_MASTER_ID-1702749_Large400_ID-2142660.png?v=2142660

This actually made me laugh pretty hard, which is saying a lot since the tp jokes have all been exhausted
  • GettinLean19
    Options

Missed this post earlier. Holy moly thats a lot. And taking only 10% of the number would be extremely conservative. I’m guessing the percentage of asymptomatic carriers is a heckuva lot less than 90%
  • NotSoFat70
    NotSoFat70 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I should probably replace a missing fence board.A coyote uses my yard as a shortcut every morning because of it.
  • cdubks88
    cdubks88 Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Probs shouldn't have ate all the foods and drank all the wine. 🤕

Hope you had a wonderful birthday. 😊
  • cdubks88
    cdubks88 Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    1sphere wrote: »
    One of my coworkers is self-isolating at home because he has the symptoms......

I'm working from home because it was the companies directive. I didn't even get the chance to spread the virus and take a few people down with me

I gotta be here......apparently I am very healthy and I’ll be fine.....lol

Be safe. 😊
  • nels5850
    nels5850 Posts: 76 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    My gym finally closed

sqhayq5cad2s.jpg