What's on your mind?

Options

Replies

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    s131951 wrote: »

. . and also, to think that there is no other intelligent life possible out there is a bit close-minded.

It’s not that I’m close-minded so much as I’m acknowledging the statistical improbability. I mean even on a planet like earth that has proven ideal for cultivating intelligent life (for hundreds of reasons that are as of yet unique to this place), we’ve only had humans on this planet for 0.0044% of the duration of its existence.[/quote]

it was a widespread belief that harm would come to a human travelling over 25mph.
    [/quote]

This is exactly why I set my cruise control to 23 MPH, nothing more, ever.

Why tempt fate ??
  • s131951
    s131951 Posts: 3,776 Member
    Options
    hrichts wrote: »

That is assuming we know next to everything about all types of life and that 'our' type of life is the only viable solution.
    I frequently wonder on what our present understanding has wrong. Bodily humors were a thing, flat Earth was/is a thing, it was a widespread belief that harm would come to a human travelling over 25mph.

Probability deals with what we currently know, so of course it could change. It’s not that I have no imagination, and I can see where it would be an appealing idea. But based on what we know now, I have no statistical backing to believe that other intelligent life (as we know it) exists

Having said that, it’s an interesting shift in perspective to imagine this: what if true intelligent life was in the form of tiny beings found in the microcosmos and WE were just giant pesky invaders that they were perpetually launching systematic attacks on?

Agreed. I frequently thought that they might be sulfur-based and in gaseous forms.

I wasn't looking to attack you or anything, but enjoy some actual conversation.

I'm now pondering what drives the force of gravity. What would life be like without friction?

Oh well THAT is just the earth moving upward at 9.8 m/s2 😏

What's upward?
  • s131951
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

. . and also, to think that there is no other intelligent life possible out there is a bit close-minded.

It’s not that I’m close-minded so much as I’m acknowledging the statistical improbability. I mean even on a planet like earth that has proven ideal for cultivating intelligent life (for hundreds of reasons that are as of yet unique to this place), we’ve only had humans on this planet for 0.0044% of the duration of its existence.

it was a widespread belief that harm would come to a human travelling over 25mph.
    [/quote]

This is exactly why I set my cruise control to 23 MPH, nothing more, ever.

Why tempt fate ??[/quote]

Is your cruise control calibrated??
  • Motorsheen
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Is your cruise control calibrated??

.... Ut Oh.
  • CacoEther
    CacoEther Posts: 2,465 Member
    Options

That is assuming we know next to everything about all types of life and that 'our' type of life is the only viable solution.
    I frequently wonder on what our present understanding has wrong. Bodily humors were a thing, flat Earth was/is a thing, it was a widespread belief that harm would come to a human travelling over 25mph.

Probability deals with what we currently know, so of course it could change. It’s not that I have no imagination, and I can see where it would be an appealing idea. But based on what we know now, I have no statistical backing to believe that other intelligent life (as we know it) exists

Having said that, it’s an interesting shift in perspective to imagine this: what if true intelligent life was in the form of tiny beings found in the microcosmos and WE were just giant pesky invaders that they were perpetually launching systematic attacks on?

Agreed. I frequently thought that they might be sulfur-based and in gaseous forms.

I'm now pondering what drives the force of gravity. What would life be like without friction?

What's upward?

Right? 😅
  • s131951
    Options

What's upward?

Right? 😅

Or left?
  • Motorsheen
    Options

What's upward?

Right? 😅

this

captura-de-pantalla-2013-10-27-a-las-1-53-55-pm.png
  • s131951
    Options

What's upward?

Right? 😅

this

I had a place like this. I was pretty fit that year. Getting a snack from the kitchen was a journey.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options

What's upward?

Right? 😅

this

you guys are waaaay over my head - can't follow

but I really like this picture!
  • Motorsheen
    Options

What's upward?

Right? 😅

this

I had a place like this. I was pretty fit that year. Getting a snack from the kitchen was a journey.

it's a cool experience living in this type of space....

but to be honest, painting the walls and ceiling was a real *kitten*
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »

What's upward?

Right? 😅

this

all you have to say is: "String Theory! ....Don't get me started."

and then walk away.

everyone will assume that you're brilliant.

• s131951
    Options

What's upward?

Right? 😅

this

and then walk away.

Quantum entanglement works too.
  • ermengarde22
    ermengarde22 Posts: 2,116 Member
    Options

What's upward?

Right? 😅

this

and then walk away.

“dont even talk to me unless u can explain the collective drift of B meson particles, smdh”
  • ermengarde22
    ermengarde22 Posts: 2,116 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options

i got a long term bet that there’s whole colonies THRIVING deep in the ocean on one of jupiter’s moons
  • Motorsheen
    Options

What's upward?

Right? 😅

this

and then walk away.

“dont even talk to me unless u can explain the collective drift of B meson particles, smdh”

I simply loved the magna cartoon series on this.
  • CacoEther
    CacoEther Posts: 2,465 Member
    Options
    Today I learned that theee most painful surgery a human can have is one to their heel.

And having just stepped my heel down on a tiny rock in my garage, I can confirm that it’s probably definitely true
  • brustmannzwei
    brustmannzwei Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    KickTheSky wrote: »
    Today I learned that theee most painful surgery a human can have is one to their heel.

And having just stepped my heel down on a tiny rock in my garage, I can confirm that it’s probably definitely true

Once it's cracked, you never go back

That reminds me of when I was a kid and I fell of a swing and broke my tailbone. My grandpa said “don’t worry, it was cracked already anyway”

In the yesteryears, our grandparents give us the true to life responses. Nowadays, not so much.