Options

Replies

• KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,559 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    @Kashmir_314_
    I just googled why were chainsaws invented. And now I’m afraid of them too

"The procedure, which was known as a "symphysiotomy," was originally performed by hand using a small knife and saw to remove the bone.

And to make things worse, this was all done without anesthesia to a woman in the middle of giving birth.

It took a long time and it was messy and obviously painful."

Whoa..... and this wasn't all that long ago either.

Modern Medicine can't evolve fast enough.

I mean, ouchy! Nono 😱

I'm queasy after reading this. 🤢
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    After y'all over there talking about the marvel of the modern chainsaw and its application and invention primarily for use in the medical realm, I really feel like you could benefit from listening the podcast "Sawbones". It's an entire podcast about how modern medicine came to be, complete with all the stupid, terrible and hilarious things humanity has done to get where we are medically speaking.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    I have a goldfish named Spike. He's about a year and a half old, and recently got sick. I think he's dying. 😔

He's been laying at the bottom of the tank now, moving only to eat, for a while, and now he's not even moving much. Just breathing. Gasping for water with his dying fishy breaths.

Last night I hand fed him. (he laid there while I put my hand in the water and dropped pellets by his face, then he'd suck them up like a vacuum).

Sigh. I hate this part about having fish. Watching them die. Wanting to put them out of their misery, but not wanting to kill them, either.

Stupid Spike. Why do you have to die so soon?

Awww, I'm sorry. :(

This triggered a memory of my goldfish bubbles. (Shut up @iMago ) I left him on the porch when I was moving into my new home. The water in his tank froze solid. I put him in a pot and heated it up, he survived! I had him for one more year.

RIP Spike and Bubbles

Whoa... I had a friend in college who accidentally left her fish on a windowsill (open window) in a dorm that had really shoddy heat. He froze solid, but I don't think she tried to revive him in warm water! Who knew that would actually work?

RIP pretty fish.

I had three fish when I was younger, but they all died of erm... not old age. I found the remnants of one in a tank one day after school... and soon after the other one passed from disease, so uhm.. yeah. That solidified in my mind to never have fish ever again. I just do not have good experiences with them. :(

@KickassAmazon76 - sorry for your loss (well, potential as of this writing). That really sucks. :(
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    I have a goldfish named Spike. He's about a year and a half old, and recently got sick. I think he's dying. 😔

He's been laying at the bottom of the tank now, moving only to eat, for a while, and now he's not even moving much. Just breathing. Gasping for water with his dying fishy breaths.

Last night I hand fed him. (he laid there while I put my hand in the water and dropped pellets by his face, then he'd suck them up like a vacuum).

Sigh. I hate this part about having fish. Watching them die. Wanting to put them out of their misery, but not wanting to kill them, either.

This triggered a memory of my goldfish bubbles. (Shut up @iMago ) I left him on the porch when I was moving into my new home. The water in his tank froze solid. I put him in a pot and heated it up, he survived! I had him for one more year.

RIP Spike and Bubbles

OMG! I can't believe that worked!

*feels intense feeling of dread, then wave of nausea*

OK... So once upon a time I had two fighting fish (on separate bowl - Noway and Jose lol). Noway got sick and was doing the backstroke, but trying to survive, for days. I felt so horrible I read about the best way to humanely kill a fish. They suggested adding ice cubes to the water, gradually making it colder and then they'd just go to sleep and die. So, I did that. And then put him in the freezer for good measure. Then once frozen, I threw him out.

Now I am having a panic attack thinking that he unthawed and died in the bottom of a garbage can! Good God, my imagination is too intense! I can see him in my head waking up and suffocating in coffee grounds! 😩😳🙄🤢🤪
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    Options
    @Kashmir_314_

unrelated to chainsaws at all, but one of my favourite random factoids of life is about the inventor William Moulton Marston.

he created the systolic blood pressure test, which went on to become part of the polygraph/lie detector system.

he decided he wanted to make money off the idea of the lie detector system after that basically, and as he was a writer and a psychologist and an all around clever dude, he eventually made his way into writing comic books of all things

then sometime in 1941 he created Wonder Woman
    also Wonder Woman's inspiration was Olive Byrne- who also happened to be the "domestic partner" of both Moulton and his wife Elizabeth. and all i have to say about that really is

7wrewccjphx4.gif
  • KickassAmazon76
    edited December 2020
    Options

RIP Spike and Bubbles

OMG! I can't believe that worked!

*feels intense feeling of dread, then wave of nausea*

OK... So once upon a time I had two fighting fish (on separate bowl - Noway and Jose lol). Noway got sick and was doing the backstroke, but trying to survive, for days. I felt so horrible I read about the best way to humanely kill a fish. They suggested adding ice cubes to the water, gradually making it colder and then they'd just go to sleep and die. So, I did that. And then put him in the freezer for good measure. Then once frozen, I threw him out.

Now I am having a panic attack thinking that he unthawed and died in the bottom of a garbage can! Good God, my imagination is too intense! I can see him in my head waking up and suffocating in coffee grounds! 😩😳🙄🤢🤪

Breathe. 🤗

Ok, those were some great names! 😂

Haha thanks! We also had Hooolio, Jerkface, Bubbles, Mr Mochi, and a whole host of others. We stopoed naming the guppies because they wouldn't stop breeding (thanks Jerkface!)

Oh and we had Romeo, too. He only liked the boy guppies. Haha

Ps... If you ever want awkward conversations with your kids... Get a 10g tank with guppies.
  • KickassAmazon76
    edited December 2020
    Options

Is he a standard gold fish or a fan tail? year and half is a pretty short life span. Gold fish can seem almost immortal in the wild. Check with the fish store (not a pet store but an actual aquarium store) sometimes they can nurse those little buggers back to life. Sometimes its just a vitamin de-fish_ency (see what I did there) and you can just drop some tabs or drops in the water.

Sorry lady, losing a pet of any sort is always heart breaking. *hugs*

He was a 99c feeder fish I got - so I have no idea. He was only an inch long when I got him and he's almost 8" now.

g1nr383te434.jpg
  • scratchmyTwitch
    scratchmyTwitch Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    iMago wrote: »
    @Kashmir_314_

unrelated to chainsaws at all, but one of my favourite random factoids of life is about the inventor William Moulton Marston.

he created the systolic blood pressure test, which went on to become part of the polygraph/lie detector system.

he decided he wanted to make money off the idea of the lie detector system after that basically, and as he was a writer and a psychologist and an all around clever dude, he eventually made his way into writing comic books of all things

also Wonder Woman's inspiration was Olive Byrne- who also happened to be the "domestic partner" of both Moulton and his wife Elizabeth. and all i have to say about that really is

7wrewccjphx4.gif

I only knew the last part of that 😬
  • happimess01
    happimess01 Posts: 9,071 Member
    Options
    "You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They'll race behind you. They will stumble; they will fall. But, in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
  • scratchmyTwitch
    Options
    @Kashmir_314_

7wrewccjphx4.gif

I only knew the last part of that 😬

yeah and aside from the whole "lie detector/lasso of truth" thing with wonder woman, he was also kinda into bondage:

"The only hope for peace is to teach people who are full of pep and unbound force to enjoy being bound... Only when the control of self by others is more pleasant than the unbound assertion of self in human relationships can we hope for a stable, peaceful human society... Giving to others, being controlled by them, submitting to other people cannot possibly be enjoyable without a strong erotic element"

also: "William Moulton Marston died of cancer on May 2, 1947, in Rye, seven days before his 54th birthday. After his death, Elizabeth and Olive continued to live together until Olive's death in 1990, aged 86." :'(

I feel like I’ve heard this before.
  • GymGoddessGoals
    GymGoddessGoals Posts: 2,146 Member
    Options

Is he a standard gold fish or a fan tail? year and half is a pretty short life span. Gold fish can seem almost immortal in the wild. Check with the fish store (not a pet store but an actual aquarium store) sometimes they can nurse those little buggers back to life. Sometimes its just a vitamin de-fish_ency (see what I did there) and you can just drop some tabs or drops in the water.

He was a 99c feeder fish I got - so I have no idea. He was only an inch long when I got him and he's almost 8" now.

g1nr383te434.jpg

Forgive my gigglesnort but... 8" is worth saving.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options

My sister had a goldfish in a gallon jar. She cleaned the jar and changed the water like twice a year (seriously!). That goldfish lived for around 7 years. There were times you could barely see the fish for all the green stuff growing. But apparently the fish liked it.
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »

My sister had a goldfish in a gallon jar. She cleaned the jar and changed the water like twice a year (seriously!). That goldfish lived for around 7 years. There were times you could barely see the fish for all the green stuff growing. But apparently the fish liked it.

I went a bit too long in between water changes and I'm worried that is what made him sick.

Ps... Your profile pic is adorable.
  • kinetixtrainer2
    kinetixtrainer2 Posts: 9,126 Member
    Options
    My 13-year-old just asked me if farts are explosive. So I had to say, “Please don’t light your *kitten* on fire.” This is life with boys.

If he does please record it for our entertainment.
  • scratchmyTwitch
    Options
    My 13-year-old just asked me if farts are explosive. So I had to say, “Please don’t light your *kitten* on fire.” This is life with boys.

If he does please record it for our entertainment.

He will probably post it himself. He’s THAT kid. I’m assuming most families have at least one like him.