What's on your mind?

Options

Replies

• litha_
    litha_ Posts: 2,199 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    eBay and zero feedback buyers on the opposite coast.

• redux1985
    redux1985 Posts: 231 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    litha_ wrote: »
    eBay and zero feedback buyers on the opposite coast.

For buying, that's almost always a massive red flag and instant nope. Unless you check their account and find they have sold a few items already but nobody has left them any feedback. You can always message them to at least try to get a feel for how genuine they are.

If it's somebody buying from you then all you can do is send the item and seek divine intervention, pray that in five days you will not receive a return request because, oh I don't know, somebody bought a PC and thought it was defective because they couldn't connect to their neighbour's wifi because they didn't know the password and sent it back broken, smelling faintly of onions and with all the accessories missing, before leaving negative feedback.

:)

Edit: You literally said it’s a buyer. I done not learned to read good.
  • ButterMeMuffinz
    ButterMeMuffinz Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    jbs116 wrote: »
    Do Americans really use paper plates as often as the media has lead me to believe

Almost never. I have lived in the south all my life where I would assume this is depicted as common. Paper plates are only used for workplace events, birthday parties, BBQs, etc. Never for normal, daily use.

Thank you for the insight. I was wondering if it might be regional. I live fairly rural but other than the college students & for certain informal festive occasions, I don’t really see anyone using them.

When I was in a very busy season and my dishwasher broke and there were six people in my household I tried them for daily use. That lasted less than a week. It was more efficient to revamp my washing up routine.

I think it's funny because when our dishwasher died a few years ago and we had to wait a couple weeks for the new one to arrive, it never once crossed my mind that I could have used paper plates and plastic cutlery, but in retrospect I probably would give it a go if it happened again
  • itchmyTwitch
    itchmyTwitch Posts: 4,019 Member
    Options
    Do Americans really use paper plates as often as the media has lead me to believe

Almost never. I have lived in the south all my life where I would assume this is depicted as common. Paper plates are only used for workplace events, birthday parties, BBQs, etc. Never for normal, daily use.

Thank you for the insight. I was wondering if it might be regional. I live fairly rural but other than the college students & for certain informal festive occasions, I don’t really see anyone using them.

When I was in a very busy season and my dishwasher broke and there were six people in my household I tried them for daily use. That lasted less than a week. It was more efficient to revamp my washing up routine.

I think it's funny because when our dishwasher died a few years ago and we had to wait a couple weeks for the new one to arrive, it never once crossed my mind that I could have used paper plates and plastic cutlery, but in retrospect I probably would give it a go if it happened again
    It didn’t really work out well for me, but I could see somebody in a different situation having better luck with it.
  • ButterMeMuffinz
    Options

It didn’t really work out well for me, but I could see somebody in a different situation having better luck with it.

My situation being "I hate doing the dishes even with a dishwasher so let me be as lazy as possible during difficult dishwasher-less times"
  • itchmyTwitch
    Options

My situation being "I hate doing the dishes even with a dishwasher so let me be as lazy as possible during difficult dishwasher-less times"

🤣

I believe whatever children you have are still quite small, so let me point you down a different road from the one I took: train them young not to be annoying little *kitten* that make messes right after you’ve cleaned up
  • ButterMeMuffinz
    Options

🤣

I believe whatever children you have are still quite small, so let me point you down a different road from the one I took: train them young not to be annoying little *kitten* that make messes right after you’ve cleaned up

In terms of leaving their dishes everywhere? Absolutely! So far I've been lucky because they friggen offer to help with the dishes so I am taking my free child labour whenever I can
  • Alinouveau2
    Alinouveau2 Posts: 6,342 Member
    Options

We visited relatives who live in Texas and use paper plates and plastic cutlery (I so hate paper plates so wasteful).
    Any time we used some I offered to do the dishes. The cousin found it amusing, then again he was probably drunk, his wife not so much

Yes, for casual company and large groups of family visiting I might use paper plates.

This wasn't large groups this is what they use for their family. Drives our uncle nuts he doesn't understand why they do this
    I personally hate plastic cutlery I always get the fork that breaks
  • itchmyTwitch
    Options

We visited relatives who live in Texas and use paper plates and plastic cutlery (I so hate paper plates so wasteful).
    Any time we used some I offered to do the dishes. The cousin found it amusing, then again he was probably drunk, his wife not so much

Yes, for casual company and large groups of family visiting I might use paper plates.

This wasn't large groups this is what they use for their family. Drives our uncle nuts he doesn't understand why they do this
    I personally hate plastic cutlery I always get the fork that breaks

Plastic tines in the macaroni salad 😬
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,650 Member
    Options
    Ever have one of those days where so much is on your mind but you just don't have the spoons to begin to understand it, let alone share it with others, leaving you with this heavy burden to carry and no words to explain to those (who can't see) why you're just too tired to be human?

Yeah.. same.
  • itchmyTwitch
    Options
    Ever have one of those days where so much is on your mind but you just don't have the spoons to begin to understand it, let alone share it with others, leaving you with this heavy burden to carry and no words to explain to those (who can't see) why you're just too tired to be human?

Yeah.. same.

I wish I could give you a couple of my spoons today
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options

Yeah.. same.

I wish I could give you a couple of my spoons today

*super big hugs* you're sweet!
  • Alinouveau2
    Alinouveau2 Posts: 6,342 Member
    Options

Yeah.. same.

Doesn't help but this too shall pass. I call what you're going through the fog and eventually it'll clear. Sucks to be going through it but be kind to yourself and look after yourself.
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options

Yeah.. same.

Doesn't help but this too shall pass. I call what you're going through the fog and eventually it'll clear. Sucks to be going through it but be kind to yourself and look after yourself.

one of my favorite sayings is "it came to pass"... it didn't come to stay.

Thank you for that reminder. <3
  • itchmyTwitch
    Options
    I set myself a goal for this month and because I can be a little bit of a perfectionist, if I hit a snag early in the month I might say *kitten* it and give up the whole thing. So I wrote down that 80% is still a success. It’s right there in pen and ink on the goal itself. I’m not saying that I’m aiming for 80% but life happens.
  • cowsfan12
    cowsfan12 Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options

Eh - I use daily - 🤷‍♂️
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    I set myself a goal for this month and because I can be a little bit of a perfectionist, if I hit a snag early in the month I might say *kitten* it and give up the whole thing. So I wrote down that 80% is still a success. It’s right there in pen and ink on the goal itself. I’m not saying that I’m aiming for 80% but life happens.

I am this way too. A bit of an All or Nothing mentality. 80% is still SIGNICANTLY better than 0%
  • cowsfan12
    cowsfan12 Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options

Good idea - 80% will always be better than 0% - the all or nothing approach usually leads to failure - although you only fail if you don’t continue to try
  • itchmyTwitch
    Options
    cowsfan12 wrote: »

Eh - I use daily - 🤷‍♂️

so you’re the one! 😉🤗
  • honey_honey_12
    honey_honey_12 Posts: 14,176 Member
    Options
    cowsfan12 wrote: »

Eh - I use daily - 🤷‍♂️

Me too 🤷🏼‍♀️😀