What's on your mind?

Options

Replies

• MelG7777
    MelG7777 Posts: 14,185 Member
    Options
    redux1985 wrote: »
    Fake MFP bot accounts with stolen stock images are real.

My fellow men, this is heartfelt: Stop adding them to your friend list. It's a thirst trap and you're not going to get any.

Many of the men here aren’t interested in real anyway. So whether it’s a professional fantasy or an amateur fantasy, what’s the difference?

"Professional fantasy" - :D

Best case is it's a bot, might want to harvest your details, won't get much from MFP. You might later find your profile picture gets recycled elswhere on the internet.

Middle ground is it's a fantasist, and you're actually smut talking with a 42 year old neckbeard in his mother's basement.

Worst case is that after 'she' gets in your DMs a few messages later asks if you can look after $7,000,000 on behalf of the crown prince of Uganda who has entrusted her to find a safe western bank account to deposit his fortune during the civil war there.

Well that escalated quickly.

😳

Gotta check my bank account. Brb
  • itchmyTwitch
    itchmyTwitch Posts: 4,019 Member
    Options
    Like getting hit in the head it finally dawned on me why I can’t get a good night’s sleep.

Anything that might help the rest of us?
  • ItsMeAnna3
    ItsMeAnna3 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I wish we had farmer's markets where I live
  • Alinouveau2
    Alinouveau2 Posts: 6,336 Member
    Options
    My very strange dreams last night
  • itchmyTwitch
    Options
    Spooky, sexy, or just plain weird?
  • Alinouveau2
    Options

Weird. Like trying to find my dad's grave and then ending up finding his image on movie videotape boxes and asking my brother if we're getting royalties for these cause it could be movies hubs is suing people for 😂🤣😂🤣
  • itchmyTwitch
    Options

Weird. Like trying to find my dad's grave and then ending up finding his image on movie videotape boxes and asking my brother if we're getting royalties for these cause it could be movies hubs is suing people for 😂🤣😂🤣

That’s weird but also really kind of interesting. You should try to analyze it for yourself.
  • Alinouveau2
    Options

That’s weird but also really kind of interesting. You should try to analyze it for yourself.

Haha. It was very strange because the cemetery was also a bookstore/video store 🤣 cause you know that's a totally normal thing
  • itchmyTwitch
    edited September 2023
    Options

Haha. It was very strange because the cemetery was also a bookstore/video store 🤣 cause you know that's a totally normal thing

For me those are comfort places, places where history is recorded, repositories of knowledge, where I can access the past. ❤️
  • itchmyTwitch
    Options
    Henry Cavill in a kilt

god is good
  • itchmyTwitch
    Options
    My boss does not utilize his resources properly. I type well, I write well, but when he needs to compose something from scratch I always need to remind him that I’m here. No wonder he’s stressed.
  • WorkerDrone83
    WorkerDrone83 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Of all the things to lose in my office, an air freshener has to be the silliest. I can smell it but, for the life of me, I can't find it...
  • redux1985
    redux1985 Posts: 231 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    @litha_ Today's eBay delight; I noticed somebody had stolen a bunch of photographs from my listings and were using them to sell their own products. This irks me because I spend a lot of time taking good pictures and touching them up with photoshop. I dropped them a DM.

Me: Hi, these images are copyrighted, please do not use them, if this continues I'll have no choice but to get your listings removed, thanks and kind regards.

Them: OMG IM FREE TO DO AS I PLEASE AND IM REPORTING YOU TO EBAY FOR HARASSING ME.
  • cmsienk
    cmsienk Posts: 18,359 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    @litha_ Today's eBay delight; I noticed somebody had stolen a bunch of photographs from my listings and were using them to sell their own products. This irks me because I spend a lot of time taking good pictures and touching them up with photoshop. I dropped them a DM.

Me: Hi, these images are copyrighted, please do not use them, if this continues I'll have no choice but to get your listings removed, thanks and kind regards.

Them: OMG IM FREE TO DO AS I PLEASE AND IM REPORTING YOU TO EBAY FOR HARASSING ME.
    Unbelievable. (But I do.) Some people are the worst
  • redux1985
    Options
    cmsienk wrote: »

Unbelievable. (But I do.) Some people are the worst

Aye, people using my eBay images is a recurring problem, but I've never had somebody react like that before when confronted! :D
  • litha_
    litha_ Posts: 2,195 Member
    Options

I want to say I’m surprised, but I’m really not. The audacity of some of these folks. It also goes against the T&C’s regarding photos and using another persons listing as a template for your own.

Have you thought about putting a watermark of your userid in your photographs? Like yourself, I take a lot of time to take what I think are nice photographs. I use a light box or try to get natural light. It takes so much time, so I can imagine the frustration when someone just steals your photo after the time and effort. 😡

How do you plan to respond with this particular individual?

I feel like eBay was better 20 years ago though. Less creeps. Maybe that’s only my perception though. 🤷🏼‍♀️
  • redux1985
    edited September 2023
    Options
    litha_ wrote: »

I want to say I’m surprised, but I’m really not. The audacity of some of these folks. It also goes against the T&C’s regarding photos and using another persons listing as a template for your own.

Have you thought about putting a watermark of your userid in your photographs? Like yourself, I take a lot of time to take what I think are nice photographs. I use a light box or try to get natural light. It takes so much time, so I can imagine the frustration when someone just steals your photo after the time and effort. 😡

I feel like eBay was better 20 years ago though. Less creeps. Maybe that’s only my perception though. 🤷🏼‍♀️

I'm glad you appreciate the time and effort, I too considered a light box, but some of my items are a bit too big (mostly full sized PCs, occasional circuit boards), I run a hardware repair workshop and I've cordoned off one corner to look more...showroom, just for taking pictures :D - away from all the screwdrivers and soldering equipment.

I'm looking into watermarking, yes, I have one prepared, just not sure I like the way it looks. Thanks for the tips though :)

Did you get feedback from the questionable buyer on the opposite coast?
  • litha_
    litha_ Posts: 2,195 Member
    Options

I'm glad you appreciate the time and effort, I too considered a light box, but some of my items are a bit too big (mostly full sized PCs, occasional circuit boards), I run a hardware repair workshop and I've cordoned off one corner to look more...showroom, just for taking pictures :D - away from all the screwdrivers and soldering equipment.

I'm looking into watermarking, yes, I have one prepared, just not sure I like the way it looks. Thanks for the tips though :)

@redux1985 - No. They won't leave feedback. I chatted with an ebay rep (not a bot) before sending the item. I tried to figure a way out of the deal without getting dinged on my rating because I was seeing red flags. Long story short, I had to send the item and wait just like you said. It was delivered last Thursday. I did find out though that the zero feedback buyer had used guest checkout, so that's why they had none and this is why I probably won't get feedback. I sent several messages to the buyer trying to communicate and they didn't respond. Ebay told me that if I did that prior to sending the item, I would be protected if the buyer was not genuine. I also paid for the signature by adult option just in case. Then they couldn't say a porch pirate stole it. Fingers crossed I'll never hear from them again.
  • BriansTrident
    BriansTrident Posts: 483 Member
    Options

@redux1985 - No. They won't leave feedback. I chatted with an ebay rep (not a bot) before sending the item. I tried to figure a way out of the deal without getting dinged on my rating because I was seeing red flags. Long story short, I had to send the item and wait just like you said. It was delivered last Thursday. I did find out though that the zero feedback buyer had used guest checkout, so that's why they had none and this is why I probably won't get feedback. I sent several messages to the buyer trying to communicate and they didn't respond. Ebay told me that if I did that prior to sending the item, I would be protected if the buyer was not genuine. I also paid for the signature by adult option just in case. Then they couldn't say a porch pirate stole it. Fingers crossed I'll never hear from them again.

I sell a lot on eBay and have had this happen to me as well. I just use a watermark in the center of the picture from corner to corner. I just make it enough that you can see it but won’t take away from the item. eBay won’t help with issues like this unless it puts their royalties at risk.

• redux1985
    Options

I sell a lot on eBay and have had this happen to me as well. I just use a watermark in the center of the picture from corner to corner. I just make it enough that you can see it but won’t take away from the item. eBay won’t help with issues like this unless it puts their royalties at risk.

Yeah, eBay very seldom stick up for a seller. I did manage to get them to remove a listing with stolen pictures just one time, but it was a complex process involving filling out forms. I think a watermark may be the way forward.

@litha_ I suspected it would be a guest, in which case you will 99% of the time not hear from them again, so I guess all's well.