What's on your mind?

Options

Replies

• itchmyTwitch
    itchmyTwitch Posts: 4,019 Member
    edited January 3
    Options
    Someone told me they were trying to discern why they were going through a particular difficulty. I didn’t have the heart to tell them in their suffering that it’s because *kitten* things happen to everyone. Good things too apparently. Or if you prefer the more ecclesiastical statement, the rain falls on the just and the unjust. What meaning you take from it or make from it is all your own.
  • ryannxtlvl
    ryannxtlvl Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    So, I had an epiphany New Year's Eve - I'm officially too old for staying up past midnight! I barely made it to the ball drop before hitting the sack, completely sober . The next day, I felt like a truck ran over me, today wasn't any better either. Is this what getting older feels like? Should I start stockpiling vitamins or researching retirement homes? It seems like I'm overdue for a nap.
  • honey_honey_12
    honey_honey_12 Posts: 14,095 Member
    Options
    ryannxtlvl wrote: »
    So, I had an epiphany New Year's Eve - I'm officially too old for staying up past midnight! I barely made it to the ball drop before hitting the sack, completely sober . The next day, I felt like a truck ran over me, today wasn't any better either. Is this what getting older feels like? Should I start stockpiling vitamins or researching retirement homes? It seems like I'm overdue for a nap.

Welcome to the club,
    I believe that I am the president, being the oldest.
    Do everything you can to avoid the Old Folks Home.
    That’s my best advice.
    😀☺️
  • sr2587
    sr2587 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    ___Tams___ wrote: »
    Having so much fun researching my family tree. Turns out my great grandmother was Latvian. We always assumed Russian.
    I’ve always wanted to do that! What’s the best way to research your family tree??

• ryannxtlvl
    Options

Welcome to the club,
    I believe that I am the president, being the oldest.
    Do everything you can to avoid the Old Folks Home.
    That’s my best advice.
    😀☺️

noted :D Thanks for welcoming me to the club. Hopefully this club has mandatory snack meetings. Im starving.

• stegeem
    stegeem Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    It's kinda weird putting your arms in a jacket that is three or four sizes too small and wondering how you will ever fit in there? it's like, do my arms shrink? my back? can usually only put one arm through, and it's tight.
  • stegeem
    stegeem Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I think a random friend just confessed their love for me, but I'm not totally sure. Kinda weird, I've never had a boyfriend, guys just haven't been interested.
  • honey_honey_12
    edited January 4
    Options
    ytnisd8mvviq.jpeg

$90.
    ETA, at my son’s house
    and there are 5 of them.
    So expensive.
    I don’t know how people are paying for everything.
  • ryannxtlvl
    Options
    ytnisd8mvviq.jpeg

$90.
    ETA, at my son’s house
    and there are 5 of them.
    So expensive.

For real though! I easily spend $100-$150 per week on my food prep alone which doesnt include the rest of my families groceries. Im ready to just buy land, raise my own livestock and have a massive garden.
  • itchmyTwitch
    edited January 4
    Options
    ytnisd8mvviq.jpeg

$90.
    ETA, at my son’s house
    and there are 5 of them.
    So expensive.

For real though! I easily spend $100-$150 per week on my food prep alone which doesnt include the rest of my families groceries. Im ready to just buy land, raise my own livestock and have a massive garden.
    I tried this. Please let me be nostalgic by giving advice. Feel free to disregard. 😊

It’s probably more expensive than you think. Not just the land but the fences and the feed and taxes, water lines and heaters and holding tanks and septic and roofing etc. You will need money in reserve.

There is a STEEP learning curve.

The labor involved is substantial and difficult to do with a full time job

You will still need a full time job.

Don’t let me discourage you though. I have learned & grown so much over these past nearly 11 years. I have loved this property. Still do though I wish I could have done better by it

In my opinion the younger you start the better. I was already in my 40s.

If it’s what you really want, do some serious research both reading and talking to/ observing real people and if you still want it don’t delay

ETA: a lot of people can have a garden that produces what they need in a very small space. I recommend anyone who’s interested in having a large garden give that a try first
  • ryannxtlvl
    Options
    ytnisd8mvviq.jpeg

$90.
    ETA, at my son’s house
    and there are 5 of them.
    So expensive.

I tried this. Please let me be nostalgic by giving advice. Feel free to disregard. 😊

It’s probably more expensive than you think. Not just the land but the fences and the feed and taxes, water lines and heaters and holding tanks and septic and roofing etc. You will need money in reserve.

Don’t let me discourage you though. I have learned & grown so much over these past nearly 11 years. I have loved this property. Still do though I wish I could have done better by it

If it’s what you really want, do some serious research both reading and talking to/ observing real people and if you still want it don’t delay

ETA: a lot of people can have a garden that produces what they need in a very small space. I recommend anyone who’s interested in having a large garden give that a try first

You are probably right lol! Lots of time and resources will need to go into it. I really like the idea of knowing where my food comes from though. These are things I have thought about and toss around on if its something I legitimately want to do or not. Maybe I will just stick with a few goats and a donkey :smiley:
  • itchmyTwitch
    edited January 4
    Options
    ytnisd8mvviq.jpeg

$90.
    ETA, at my son’s house
    and there are 5 of them.
    So expensive.

You are probably right lol! Lots of time and resources will need to go into it. I really like the idea of knowing where my food comes from though. These are things I have thought about and toss around on if its something I legitimately want to do or not. Maybe I will just stick with a few goats and a donkey :smiley:

Donkeys are sweet. Get at least two😁

When I first got here, I was thinking about dairy and a farmer friend told me something very important: you will never go on vacation
  • ryannxtlvl
    Options
    ytnisd8mvviq.jpeg

$90.
    ETA, at my son’s house
    and there are 5 of them.
    So expensive.

Donkeys are sweet. Get at least two😁

When I first got here, I was thinking about dairy and a farmer friend told me something very important: you will never go on vacation

That a good point. How could you go on vacation? unless you hire farm help, but thats just more money
  • LovePammiek
    LovePammiek Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    ready to get off of work and go home lol.
  • honey_honey_12
    Options
    ytnisd8mvviq.jpeg

$90.
    ETA, at my son’s house
    and there are 5 of them.
    So expensive.

Already in the works. 😀
    Have the land, already planted pecan orchard, have the plans for a small, fireproof, tornado sound, tiny house, pasture planted, water wells drilled.

Only problem, I will be living out there with my ex husband. 🤪
    Thankfully he’ll be in his own house.
    We plan on the whole family living out there eventually.
    That’s what we hope anyway. 🤷🏼‍♀️

• honey_honey_12
    Options
    ytnisd8mvviq.jpeg

$90.
    ETA, at my son’s house
    and there are 5 of them.
    So expensive.

I loved my donkey SO much. 🥰
    Saw him chase down and kill a coyote once, he ran around the pasture picking up the body and tossing it in the air then running, doing it again.
    He was always the first in the herd of horses to check out trouble.
  • ryannxtlvl
    Options
    ytnisd8mvviq.jpeg

$90.
    ETA, at my son’s house
    and there are 5 of them.
    So expensive.

Already in the works. 😀
    Have the land, already planted pecan orchard, have the plans for a small, fireproof, tornado sound, tiny house, pasture planted, water wells drilled.

Only problem, I will be living out there with my ex husband. 🤪
    Thankfully he’ll be in his own house.
    We plan on the whole family living out there eventually.
    That’s what we hope anyway. 🤷🏼‍♀️

wow, you have a legit family compound in the making! sounds pretty cool.
    ytnisd8mvviq.jpeg

$90.
    ETA, at my son’s house
    and there are 5 of them.
    So expensive.

Saw him chase down and kill a coyote once, he ran around the pasture picking up the body and tossing it in the air then running, doing it again.

I have read that donkeys are really good security animals for this reason.
  • itchmyTwitch
    Options
    ytnisd8mvviq.jpeg

$90.
    ETA, at my son’s house
    and there are 5 of them.
    So expensive.

🥰 i want a pair of donkeys but i know i don’t have it in me anymore. I guess I’ll just keep visiting them

I enjoy your stories so much. This one was no exception. I knew donkeys could raise an alarm but I didn’t know they would fight!

I wish we could grow pecans here. We just have the nasty tasting walnuts. My peaches make me happy though
  • honey_honey_12
    Options
    ytnisd8mvviq.jpeg

$90.
    ETA, at my son’s house
    and there are 5 of them.
    So expensive.

🥰 i want a pair of donkeys but i know i don’t have it in me anymore. I guess I’ll just keep visiting them

I enjoy your stories so much. This one was no exception. I knew donkeys could raise an alarm but I didn’t know they would fight!

I wish we could grow pecans here. We just have the nasty tasting walnuts. My peaches make me happy though

In November here, there are always people selling pecans they’ve grown on corners.
    The last couple of years the pecans have been outrageously expensive.
    This year, I did not see a single person selling pecans.
    Must have been a bad year.
    Have a family friend that has a pecan orchard and sells all of his pecans to Bama for pies.
    Great deal if you can get it. 😀

I love walnuts! 😋
  • itchmyTwitch
    Options
    v0vbtw5i51ix.jpeg