edited December 2023
    Options
    jbs116 wrote: »
    In my mind, it’s not a comparison between Paul and Apollos because who even knows who Apollos is anymore but it’s a comparison between Paul and Jesus. Hands-down, Jesus wins. Paul would agree with that, not that I take his word for anything

Exegetical Friday!

It’s sort of funny how much space this information still takes up in my brain and how I can still argue it fairly well. I was never really allowed to do that because you know Paul wouldn’t like it.

I get that. I used to weaponize this stuff to win arguments. I much prefer discussion, openness, and wonder these days. I don't get the "Paul wouldn't like it" bit, but it will probably occur to me later after more coffee.
    Oh, it’s not that serious. I was just referring to Paul’s admonition for women not to teach men and not to have authority over them. I don’t follow that philosophy whatsoever and though I think there are some lovely teachings and lovely poetry and lovely metaphors there is also genocide and sexual assault and terrible injustice & I don’t actually believe Christianity. It is my heritage & culture & my birthright, however, so I feel free in talking about it and making use of it and pointing out the hypocrisies of some of the people who claim to follow it.

That seems pretty serious. 😂 I truly appreciate you sharing. I am a Christian and a walking hypocrisy... but everyone is, aside from Jesus, when you get right down to it.

I don’t mind you sharing either 😂

to a point 😐

😂🤣😂🤣

😂 The less I share the better *MFP nods in agreement*
    In my opinion philosophical/religious conversations are best had over a pint (poor left out baptists), but I think you and I handle it well given the medium we have to use

Oh! We can be like Tolkien and Lewis! Give me a pint and I'll talk about anything you like.

I *kitten* love this idea

My brain to me: Senator, you’re no CS Lewis.

Yes!

This will be my only thought and share time on the matter of faith... There are a million ways to look at the Bible and decide if any or all of it is true. Back to Paul... He raises the only question that matters. Did Jesus rise from the dead? If not, all of this stuff, including Jesus, is worthless. If he did rise then...

Now that is out of the way, we can talk about important topics like "how many calories does this pint have?"
    Yes, I agree with your point. if a person believes that the literal creator of the universe put aside his glory, and was born in human form, took on the sins of the world, was crucified, dead, and buried and rose from the dead for their redemption, then living their faith should be a simple matter. I would still have questions though.

ETA: Also, I am aware that you are paraphrasing Paul. I hope you didn’t think you were slipping that one by me.

Oh my goodness I didn’t even see that you were actually crediting Paul. Shame on me for not reading carefully enough.

Anyway, how about wonder woman?

Nobody believes creator, glory, sins, etc. if there is no resurrection, so that is why I (and apparently Paul) think that is the apex question. Nothing simple about it to me. Questions are good. That was a really new translation, but, yea... Paul. 😂
    My question (rhetorical) is if you don't believe in this, what do you believe in? What is the evidence that's the foundation of that belief? Once again, rhetorical.

Now we are getting to the business of the day, new year... Wonder Woman oh my! 😁
  • Alinouveau2
    Alinouveau2 Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    My favourite player was traded off of the Raptors!!! What'll I do without OG!!! Ok I'll still watch....there's still GTG and he's really fun to watch 😉
  • This_far
    This_far Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    That dog and I slept right through today's mini earthquake in NYC. No premonitions, Daisy is no Nostradamus. Did set off car alarms in my neighborhood.
  • itchmyTwitch
    itchmyTwitch Posts: 3,894 Member
    edited January 3
    Options
    Someone told me they were trying to discern why they were going through a particular difficulty. I didn’t have the heart to tell them in their suffering that it’s because *kitten* things happen to everyone. Good things too apparently. Or if you prefer the more ecclesiastical statement, the rain falls on the just and the unjust. What meaning you take from it or make from it is all your own.
  • ryannxtlvl
    ryannxtlvl Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    So, I had an epiphany New Year's Eve - I'm officially too old for staying up past midnight! I barely made it to the ball drop before hitting the sack, completely sober . The next day, I felt like a truck ran over me, today wasn't any better either. Is this what getting older feels like? Should I start stockpiling vitamins or researching retirement homes? It seems like I'm overdue for a nap.
  • ___Tams___
    ___Tams___ Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Having so much fun researching my family tree. Turns out my great grandmother was Latvian. We always assumed Russian.
  • honey_honey_12
    honey_honey_12 Posts: 13,731 Member
    Options
    ryannxtlvl wrote: »
    So, I had an epiphany New Year's Eve - I'm officially too old for staying up past midnight! I barely made it to the ball drop before hitting the sack, completely sober . The next day, I felt like a truck ran over me, today wasn't any better either. Is this what getting older feels like? Should I start stockpiling vitamins or researching retirement homes? It seems like I'm overdue for a nap.

Welcome to the club,
    I believe that I am the president, being the oldest.
    Do everything you can to avoid the Old Folks Home.
    That’s my best advice.
    😀☺️
  • sr2587
    sr2587 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    ___Tams___ wrote: »
    Having so much fun researching my family tree. Turns out my great grandmother was Latvian. We always assumed Russian.
    I’ve always wanted to do that! What’s the best way to research your family tree??

• ryannxtlvl
    Options

Welcome to the club,
    I believe that I am the president, being the oldest.
    Do everything you can to avoid the Old Folks Home.
    That’s my best advice.
    😀☺️

noted :D Thanks for welcoming me to the club. Hopefully this club has mandatory snack meetings. Im starving.

• ___Tams___
    ___Tams___ Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    sr2587 wrote: »
    ___Tams___ wrote: »
    I’ve always wanted to do that! What’s the best way to research your family tree??

I am using a mixture of websites, findmypast and ancestry.
  • stegeem
    stegeem Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    It's kinda weird putting your arms in a jacket that is three or four sizes too small and wondering how you will ever fit in there? it's like, do my arms shrink? my back? can usually only put one arm through, and it's tight.
  • stegeem
    stegeem Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I think a random friend just confessed their love for me, but I'm not totally sure. Kinda weird, I've never had a boyfriend, guys just haven't been interested.
  • honey_honey_12
    honey_honey_12 Posts: 13,731 Member
    edited January 4
    Options
    ytnisd8mvviq.jpeg

$90.
    ETA, at my son’s house
    and there are 5 of them.
    So expensive.
    I don’t know how people are paying for everything.
  • ryannxtlvl
    Options
    ytnisd8mvviq.jpeg

$90.
    ETA, at my son’s house
    and there are 5 of them.
    So expensive.

For real though! I easily spend $100-$150 per week on my food prep alone which doesnt include the rest of my families groceries. Im ready to just buy land, raise my own livestock and have a massive garden.
  • itchmyTwitch
    edited January 4
    Options
    ytnisd8mvviq.jpeg

$90.
    ETA, at my son’s house
    and there are 5 of them.
    So expensive.

For real though! I easily spend $100-$150 per week on my food prep alone which doesnt include the rest of my families groceries. Im ready to just buy land, raise my own livestock and have a massive garden.
    I tried this. Please let me be nostalgic by giving advice. Feel free to disregard. 😊

It’s probably more expensive than you think. Not just the land but the fences and the feed and taxes, water lines and heaters and holding tanks and septic and roofing etc. You will need money in reserve.

There is a STEEP learning curve.

The labor involved is substantial and difficult to do with a full time job

You will still need a full time job.

Don’t let me discourage you though. I have learned & grown so much over these past nearly 11 years. I have loved this property. Still do though I wish I could have done better by it

In my opinion the younger you start the better. I was already in my 40s.

If it’s what you really want, do some serious research both reading and talking to/ observing real people and if you still want it don’t delay

ETA: a lot of people can have a garden that produces what they need in a very small space. I recommend anyone who’s interested in having a large garden give that a try first
  • ryannxtlvl
    Options
    ytnisd8mvviq.jpeg

$90.
    ETA, at my son’s house
    and there are 5 of them.
    So expensive.

I tried this. Please let me be nostalgic by giving advice. Feel free to disregard. 😊

It’s probably more expensive than you think. Not just the land but the fences and the feed and taxes, water lines and heaters and holding tanks and septic and roofing etc. You will need money in reserve.

Don’t let me discourage you though. I have learned & grown so much over these past nearly 11 years. I have loved this property. Still do though I wish I could have done better by it

If it’s what you really want, do some serious research both reading and talking to/ observing real people and if you still want it don’t delay

ETA: a lot of people can have a garden that produces what they need in a very small space. I recommend anyone who’s interested in having a large garden give that a try first

You are probably right lol! Lots of time and resources will need to go into it. I really like the idea of knowing where my food comes from though. These are things I have thought about and toss around on if its something I legitimately want to do or not. Maybe I will just stick with a few goats and a donkey :smiley:
  • itchmyTwitch
    edited January 4
    Options
    ytnisd8mvviq.jpeg

$90.
    ETA, at my son’s house
    and there are 5 of them.
    So expensive.

You are probably right lol! Lots of time and resources will need to go into it. I really like the idea of knowing where my food comes from though. These are things I have thought about and toss around on if its something I legitimately want to do or not. Maybe I will just stick with a few goats and a donkey :smiley:

Donkeys are sweet. Get at least two😁

When I first got here, I was thinking about dairy and a farmer friend told me something very important: you will never go on vacation
  • ryannxtlvl
    Options
    ytnisd8mvviq.jpeg

$90.
    ETA, at my son’s house
    and there are 5 of them.
    So expensive.

Donkeys are sweet. Get at least two😁

When I first got here, I was thinking about dairy and a farmer friend told me something very important: you will never go on vacation

That a good point. How could you go on vacation? unless you hire farm help, but thats just more money
  • LovePammiek
    LovePammiek Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    ready to get off of work and go home lol.