What's on your mind?

Options

Replies

• jbs116
    jbs116 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    In my mind, it’s not a comparison between Paul and Apollos because who even knows who Apollos is anymore but it’s a comparison between Paul and Jesus. Hands-down, Jesus wins. Paul would agree with that, not that I take his word for anything

Exegetical Friday!
  • itchmyTwitch
    itchmyTwitch Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    jbs116 wrote: »
    In my mind, it’s not a comparison between Paul and Apollos because who even knows who Apollos is anymore but it’s a comparison between Paul and Jesus. Hands-down, Jesus wins. Paul would agree with that, not that I take his word for anything

Exegetical Friday!

It’s sort of funny how much space this information still takes up in my brain and how I can still argue it fairly well. I was never really allowed to do that because you know Paul wouldn’t like it.
  • jbs116
    Options

Exegetical Friday!

It’s sort of funny how much space this information still takes up in my brain and how I can still argue it fairly well. I was never really allowed to do that because you know Paul wouldn’t like it.

I get that. I used to weaponize this stuff to win arguments. I much prefer discussion, openness, and wonder these days. I don't get the "Paul wouldn't like it" bit, but it will probably occur to me later after more coffee.
  • itchmyTwitch
    Options

Exegetical Friday!

I get that. I used to weaponize this stuff to win arguments. I much prefer discussion, openness, and wonder these days. I don't get the "Paul wouldn't like it" bit, but it will probably occur to me later after more coffee.
    Oh, it’s not that serious. I was just referring to Paul’s admonition for women not to teach men and not to have authority over them. I don’t follow that philosophy whatsoever and though I think there are some lovely teachings and lovely poetry and lovely metaphors there is also genocide and sexual assault and terrible injustice & I don’t actually believe Christianity. It is my heritage & culture & my birthright, however, so I feel free in talking about it and making use of it and pointing out the hypocrisies of some of the people who claim to follow it.
  • jbs116
    Options

Exegetical Friday!

Oh, it’s not that serious. I was just referring to Paul’s admonition for women not to teach men and not to have authority over them. I don’t follow that philosophy whatsoever and though I think there are some lovely teachings and lovely poetry and lovely metaphors there is also genocide and sexual assault and terrible injustice & I don’t actually believe Christianity. It is my heritage & culture & my birthright, however, so I feel free in talking about it and making use of it and pointing out the hypocrisies of some of the people who claim to follow it.

That seems pretty serious. 😂 I truly appreciate you sharing. I am a Christian and a walking hypocrisy... but everyone is, aside from Jesus, when you get right down to it.
  • itchmyTwitch
    Options

Exegetical Friday!

That seems pretty serious. 😂 I truly appreciate you sharing. I am a Christian and a walking hypocrisy... but everyone is, aside from Jesus, when you get right down to it.

I don’t mind you sharing either 😂

to a point 😐

😂🤣😂🤣
  • jbs116
    Options

Exegetical Friday!

to a point 😐

😂🤣😂🤣

😂 The less I share the better *MFP nods in agreement*
  • itchmyTwitch
    Options

Exegetical Friday!

to a point 😐

😂🤣😂🤣

In my opinion philosophical/religious conversations are best had over a pint (poor left out baptists), but I think you and I handle it well given the medium we have to use
  • jbs116
    Options

Exegetical Friday!

to a point 😐

😂🤣😂🤣

In my opinion philosophical/religious conversations are best had over a pint (poor left out baptists), but I think you and I handle it well given the medium we have to use

Oh! We can be like Tolkien and Lewis! Give me a pint and I'll talk about anything you like.
  • itchmyTwitch
    edited December 2023
    Options

Exegetical Friday!

to a point 😐

😂🤣😂🤣

Oh! We can be like Tolkien and Lewis! Give me a pint and I'll talk about anything you like.

I *kitten* love this idea

My brain to me: Senator, you’re no CS Lewis.
  • jbs116
    Options

Exegetical Friday!

to a point 😐

😂🤣😂🤣

Yes!

This will be my only thought and share time on the matter of faith... There are a million ways to look at the Bible and decide if any or all of it is true. Back to Paul... He raises the only question that matters. Did Jesus rise from the dead? If not, all of this stuff, including Jesus, is worthless. If he did rise then...

Now that is out of the way, we can talk about important topics like "how many calories does this pint have?"
  • itchmyTwitch
    edited December 2023
    Options

Exegetical Friday!

to a point 😐

😂🤣😂🤣

Yes!

This will be my only thought and share time on the matter of faith... There are a million ways to look at the Bible and decide if any or all of it is true. Back to Paul... He raises the only question that matters. Did Jesus rise from the dead? If not, all of this stuff, including Jesus, is worthless. If he did rise then...

Now that is out of the way, we can talk about important topics like "how many calories does this pint have?"
    Yes, I agree with your point. if a person believes that the literal creator of the universe put aside his glory, and was born in human form, took on the sins of the world, was crucified, dead, and buried and rose from the dead for their redemption, then living their faith should be a simple matter. I would still have questions though.

ETA: Also, I am aware that you are paraphrasing Paul. I hope you didn’t think you were slipping that one by me.
  • itchmyTwitch
    Options
    My fitness goals for 2024 minus the gear. Please tell me how to put this in words.
    34lit5wu64m7.jpeg
  • This_far
    This_far Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    My fitness goals for 2024 minus the gear. Please tell me how to put this in words.
    34lit5wu64m7.jpeg
    Even the Bracelets of Submission/Victory?
  • itchmyTwitch
    Options
    This_far wrote: »
    34lit5wu64m7.jpeg

I’m not up on the lore; I just like her quads
  • cowsfan12
    cowsfan12 Posts: 6,043 Member
    Options
    34lit5wu64m7.jpeg

I bet you could save a ton of lives
  • itchmyTwitch
    Options
    cowsfan12 wrote: »
    34lit5wu64m7.jpeg

That’s the goal! I’m selfless like that
  • cowsfan12
    cowsfan12 Posts: 6,043 Member
    Options
    cowsfan12 wrote: »
    34lit5wu64m7.jpeg

That’s the goal! I’m selfless like that

Doing The lords work
  • Alinouveau2
    Alinouveau2 Posts: 6,262 Member
    Options
    I'm way ahead of schedule so do I make some cookies???
  • itchmyTwitch
    Options

Exegetical Friday!

to a point 😐

😂🤣😂🤣

Yes!

Yes, I agree with your point. if a person believes that the literal creator of the universe put aside his glory, and was born in human form, took on the sins of the world, was crucified, dead, and buried and rose from the dead for their redemption, then living their faith should be a simple matter. I would still have questions though.

ETA: Also, I am aware that you are paraphrasing Paul. I hope you didn’t think you were slipping that one by me.

Oh my goodness I didn’t even see that you were actually crediting Paul. Shame on me for not reading carefully enough.

Anyway, how about wonder woman?