Please go on...

l6e2xjaqjhnj.jpg
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    MrSith wrote: »
    Sorry for that luck guys.........my home although I have plenty of work left to do on it......it's my vacation away from the world. I breathe a breath of fresh air coming home to it.

I don’t hate my house. But I wouldn’t mind living in one of those small homes (not tiny but close). My house feels like home to me but it’s fairly effortless to feel that way anywhere. I don’t care what I sit on or if I have a huge kitchen. Give me some comfy bedding, my pets and people, and a stash of ice cream and I feel home.

Even as a kid I used to daydream about getting in the car and taking off with nothing but my clothes and some cash, only getting what i need as I need it. It wasn’t that I wanted to run away; rather I just loved the idea of limitless possibilities. I still do. Sometimes my practical self has to wrestle my nomadic self into submission.

@newmeadow can you relate? Or are we two different minimalists in this regard?

I can totally relate. 3 years ago I moved from a studio to a one bedroom. I thought I should have an adult apartment for the first time in my life (I've always lived in a studio - even as a teenager).

What mistake. I had to buy more stuff to furnish it and I resisted that all the way and after 3 years it is incompletely furnished and will remain that way. Same way with decorations. I couldn't bear the thought of buying more so I didn't. I've got to go back to living in a studio again but the rents have increased 40% in my building so the studio I used to have would end up costing the same as the one bedroom I'm in now. Sigh.

So, yeah, like you I feel that thud of regret every time I open the door, even though I love to be home and I love home.

That childhood daydream of yours is the best. All my adult daydreams are nomadic too. In childhood all my dreams were of running away :laugh:

I wonder if our bend this way is an inherited trait? My mother was a hoarder (big time, like the people on the TV shows) and my father was an absolute austere minimalist. On my mother's time off from work, all she did was move her stuff from one location in her apartment to another, for hours. The clutter and hoard never changed in volume. On my father's time off from work, all he wanted to do was take walks, dine out and go for drives or take public transportation on a day trip. (They didn't live together).

When I moved into my current house my living room furniture consisted of one of those 6' fold out dining tables and a couple of roll around desk chairs for the first few months. Eventually I caved and got proper furniture but that fold out table and desk chairs were way more functional than the couch and coffee table ever have been.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    Sorry for that luck guys.........my home although I have plenty of work left to do on it......it's my vacation away from the world. I breathe a breath of fresh air coming home to it.

I don’t hate my house. But I wouldn’t mind living in one of those small homes (not tiny but close). My house feels like home to me but it’s fairly effortless to feel that way anywhere. I don’t care what I sit on or if I have a huge kitchen. Give me some comfy bedding, my pets and people, and a stash of ice cream and I feel home.

Even as a kid I used to daydream about getting in the car and taking off with nothing but my clothes and some cash, only getting what i need as I need it. It wasn’t that I wanted to run away; rather I just loved the idea of limitless possibilities. I still do. Sometimes my practical self has to wrestle my nomadic self into submission.

I can totally relate. 3 years ago I moved from a studio to a one bedroom. I thought I should have an adult apartment for the first time in my life (I've always lived in a studio - even as a teenager).

What mistake. I had to buy more stuff to furnish it and I resisted that all the way and after 3 years it is incompletely furnished and will remain that way. Same way with decorations. I couldn't bear the thought of buying more so I didn't. I've got to go back to living in a studio again but the rents have increased 40% in my building so the studio I used to have would end up costing the same as the one bedroom I'm in now. Sigh.

So, yeah, like you I feel that thud of regret every time I open the door, even though I love to be home and I love home.

That childhood daydream of yours is the best. All my adult daydreams are nomadic too. In childhood all my dreams were of running away :laugh:

I wonder if our bend this way is an inherited trait? My mother was a hoarder (big time, like the people on the TV shows) and my father was an absolute austere minimalist. On my mother's time off from work, all she did was move her stuff from one location in her apartment to another, for hours. The clutter and hoard never changed in volume. On my father's time off from work, all he wanted to do was take walks, dine out and go for drives or take public transportation on a day trip. (They didn't live together).

My mom is also a big hoarder and my dad the opposite. He has suffered in his house for many decades because he can’t live the way he wants to. It kills me.

• caco_ethes
    Options
    Caporegiem wrote: »

When I moved into my current house my living room furniture consisted of one of those 6' fold out dining tables and a couple of roll around desk chairs for the first few months. Eventually I caved and got proper furniture but that fold out table and desk chairs were way more functional than the couch and coffee table ever have been.

I refuse to own a couch and coffee table. They gone
  • caco_ethes
    Options

Newmeadow can you relate? Or are we two different minimalists in this regard?

I daydream about that too. I've really wanted to buy a van and convert it so I can take off whenever I feel like it. Life and responsibilities get in the way but one day. I'll pick you up @caco_ethes

Okay! First you can work on inventing a van that can travel overseas but that shouldn’t take you long
  • caco_ethes
    Options

I daydream about that too. I've really wanted to buy a van and convert it so I can take off whenever I feel like it. Life and responsibilities get in the way but one day. I'll pick you up @caco_ethes

This is probably as good a time as any to let you know that where I go, my body pillow goes.
  • caco_ethes
    Options

Okay! First you can work on inventing a van that can travel overseas but that shouldn’t take you long

Have you not seen chitty chitty bang bang? Or just get shipped. Won't cost much I'm sure...

Nope, haven’t seen it :grimace:

I’ll chip in. Can’t be more than, what, $130?
  • caco_ethes
    Options

Have you not seen chitty chitty bang bang? Or just get shipped. Won't cost much I'm sure...

I haven't either I just know a flying car is involved and hoped you wouldn't start quoting lines from it.

I checked because I have to know things, it's around $850..we need more people.

No need, I’m selling a kidney as we speak
  • Caporegiem
    Options

I haven't either I just know a flying car is involved and hoped you wouldn't start quoting lines from it.

I'll perform the surgery for free so you can get the most money out of that kidney.
  • caco_ethes
    Options

I'll perform the surgery for free so you can get the most money out of that kidney.

No thanks, I already got it.

But they’re telling me it’s worth a lot less than I thought because it’s a pancreas.
  • Caporegiem
    Options

But they’re telling me it’s worth a lot less than I thought because it’s a pancreas.

I just want to tell you, you're really bad at this.
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    xFunctionalStrengthx Posts: 4,928 Member
    Options

This is along my lines of thinking as well. I like smaller homes, as I think anything too big is a waste of space, money and resources. I grew up in a 900sqft home, whereas most of my friends grew up in places nearly two or three times larger. For many years, I wanted to just pedal around being a bit of a nomad. Didn't work out that way due to family obligations. But, it never stopped being in my mind.
    Over the years, I've acquired more than I should, and pared down to more my liking. Even now, I've been thinking I have way too much, and want to live in smaller space. But, the city I live in doesn't have anything smaller than i have now and due to some obligations, proximity/location is more important than desires. So, currently considering different options at this point. May wind up building a small home (650-700sqft) to my liking once I figure out a more permanent locale.
    For a while, considered livin in a converted van. But, just couldn't do it with the type of work I do. Also, I now prefer a stable home, vs nomadic life.
  • caco_ethes
    Options

I just want to tell you, you're really bad at this.

You can’t use my own line on me! :joy: