What's on your mind?

Options

Replies

• laurenbastug
    laurenbastug Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    it's my birthday and i'm lowkey annoyed with my fiance because i didn't wake up to a single balloon or card when i told him that i was super excited for this birthday (i'm turning my lucky #, last bday before i'm married, etc.) and he knows i'm really into all that kinda stuff. but then he also shoveled out my car last night (something he usually does so not like he went an extra mile) - not sure if i should be upset with him. it's also TOM so that usually puts me on the verge of tears and usually leaves me unable to react rationally to situations like this.

It's your bday and you can cry if you want to lol

But my 2 cents say, give a guy a break... I suck at that kind of thing, don't think I've ever bought a balloon in my life lol

Happy Bday!

Haha well being in my emotional state, I actually did cry on the bus like a total loser lol

You're right, I should give him the chance to unveil his surprise (assuming there is one)

If not, that hell hath no fury like a woman scorned on her bday (who is also hormonally raging) haha
  • laurenbastug
    Options
    it's my birthday and i'm lowkey annoyed with my fiance because i didn't wake up to a single balloon or card when i told him that i was super excited for this birthday (i'm turning my lucky #, last bday before i'm married, etc.) and he knows i'm really into all that kinda stuff. but then he also shoveled out my car last night (something he usually does so not like he went an extra mile) - not sure if i should be upset with him. it's also TOM so that usually puts me on the verge of tears and usually leaves me unable to react rationally to situations like this.

My wife LOVES celebrating birthdays. My birthday this year sucked though for both of us. I feel really bad for her about it, but we can kind of smile at it in a dark, effed up way now. My daughter had an accident on Jan 17th, my birthday was the 21st. On the 20th, there were some small signs that she might be turning the corner in a good way. She went in for a MRI the evening of the 20th. The next day, the neurologist came to discuss the results. While him and I are sitting at a computer and he's showing me the MRI and telling me that he's 100% certain that she will not recover at all, my poor wife comes walking in, full of smiles, with balloons and cupcakes for my birthday. She saw my face and knew right away what was going on. She took the cupcakes to the waiting room and gave them to another family out there. The next day, on the 22nd, my daughter passed, and some of my ex's family brought a bunch of food up to the hospital and we all had a big meal in the cafeteria. However, we forgot to get plates, and all we had has a package of "Happy Birthday" plates. So, we had a nice meal on happy birthday plates the day my daughter died. I cracked a joke that Hayleigh would say word for word "that's messed up" and everyone laughed and relaxed a bit.

wow, well that certainly puts things into perspective. i'm really sorry about your loss.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options

Well if it makes you feel any better I can count the number of times my husband has shoveled me out on no fingers. So, really, he goes the extra mile all the time and you aren't giving him enough credit. Who knows, maybe he has a super fancy surprise dinner planned and is doing the whole "play it cool" card this morning.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options

But my 2 cents say, give a guy a break... I suck at that kind of thing, don't think I've ever bought a balloon in my life lol

Happy Bday!

Haha well being in my emotional state, I actually did cry on the bus like a total loser lol

You're right, I should give him the chance to unveil his surprise (assuming there is one)

If not, that hell hath no fury like a woman scorned on her bday (who is also hormonally raging) haha

Nooo lol, I take it back... No crying :kiss:

See it as an opportunity, bring home balloons and a card and claim its from another guy at work...

I bet he takes you out and buys you a car afterwards :lol:
  • princess7955
    princess7955 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options

Well if it makes you feel any better I can count the number of times my husband has shoveled me out on no fingers. So, really, he goes the extra mile all the time and you aren't giving him enough credit. Who knows, maybe he has a super fancy surprise dinner planned and is doing the whole "play it cool" card this morning.

You know what would be a cool birthday gift for me? If he did all the laundry, folded it and put it away. He'd get bonus points if he got them in the right drawers. lol

@laurenbastug be sure to make the best of what happens today. No more crying!
  • WhisperingNighthawk
    WhisperingNighthawk Posts: 138 Member
    Options

Happy Bday!

You're not helping yourself by getting upset like this. The key in life is to not expect anything, then you're not disappointed, like the saying from Shakespeare, "Expectation is the root of all heartache." I have found this to be very true! Keep in mind that people show their love and appreciation differently. If you expect too much and get upset and lash out, then not only are you hurt, but so is he. It's so not worth it. You really have to accept how he chooses to celebrate your birthday, even if that means only saying "Happy birthday, <insert term of endearment here>!"
  • laurenbastug
    Options

Lol, I guess you're right.

Kinda helped to talk it out with strangers before attacking him.

Thanks!
  • laurenbastug
    Options

Happy Bday!

Nooo lol, I take it back... No crying :kiss:

See it as an opportunity, bring home balloons and a card and claim its from another guy at work...

I bet he takes you out and buys you a car afterwards :lol:

Haha it's all good - and yes, I don't doubt he'll come through (probably not with a car lol) but just was initially bummed this morning.
  • laurenbastug
    Options

My wife LOVES celebrating birthdays. My birthday this year sucked though for both of us. I feel really bad for her about it, but we can kind of smile at it in a dark, effed up way now. My daughter had an accident on Jan 17th, my birthday was the 21st. On the 20th, there were some small signs that she might be turning the corner in a good way. She went in for a MRI the evening of the 20th. The next day, the neurologist came to discuss the results. While him and I are sitting at a computer and he's showing me the MRI and telling me that he's 100% certain that she will not recover at all, my poor wife comes walking in, full of smiles, with balloons and cupcakes for my birthday. She saw my face and knew right away what was going on. She took the cupcakes to the waiting room and gave them to another family out there. The next day, on the 22nd, my daughter passed, and some of my ex's family brought a bunch of food up to the hospital and we all had a big meal in the cafeteria. However, we forgot to get plates, and all we had has a package of "Happy Birthday" plates. So, we had a nice meal on happy birthday plates the day my daughter died. I cracked a joke that Hayleigh would say word for word "that's messed up" and everyone laughed and relaxed a bit.

wow, well that certainly puts things into perspective. i'm really sorry about your loss.

I wasn't trying to rain on you or anything. Happy birthday. Sorry about that. I've just been talking about it a lot on here. I'm happy when I see people having problems with relatively small issues. I like to think that it means that they are doing pretty good.

Not at all, no need to apologize. I appreciate that sentiment though and you're completely right. Need to count my blessings.
  • laurenbastug
    Options

You know what would be a cool birthday gift for me? If he did all the laundry, folded it and put it away. He'd get bonus points if he got them in the right drawers. lol

@laurenbastug be sure to make the best of what happens today. No more crying!

Hahah yes, we actually just started living together and things like that would be a GREAT surprise haha. Thanks so much <3
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Just let us know at midnight if he ever acknowledged your birthday. If he did, good. If he didn't, do a tit for tat and "forget" his.

oh boy
  • laurenbastug
    Options

Happy Bday!

You're not helping yourself by getting upset like this. The key in life is to not expect anything, then you're not disappointed, like the saying from Shakespeare, "Expectation is the root of all heartache." I have found this to be very true! Keep in mind that people show their love and appreciation differently. If you expect too much and get upset and lash out, then not only are you hurt, but so is he. It's so not worth it. You really have to accept how he chooses to celebrate your birthday, even if that means only saying "Happy birthday, <insert term of endearment here>!"

You're so right. I've had to make it more of a point to manage my expectations but I think I thought my bday could be an exception, but you're right - it's not worth it and I need to accept and be grateful with how he chooses to celebrate :)
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    Options
    Just let us know at midnight if he ever acknowledged your birthday. If he did, good. If he didn't, do a tit for tat and "forget" his.

oh boy

It's fabulous and more women should do it. A clearer message couldn't be sent.

This must be whats wrong with my marriage! I will make the necessary adjustments
  • WorkerDrone83
    WorkerDrone83 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    "Wooing" someones selfie is cruel. It's okay to dislike someone, (we all have someone we dislike) but it's not okay to try to degrade or humiliate them.

The "woo" needs to go! It serves no good purpose here.

I don't know who you are, but I'm digging your common sense this morning.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    Options
    "Wooing" someones selfie is cruel. It's okay to dislike someone, (we all have someone we dislike) but it's not okay to try to degrade or humiliate them.

here ya go
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10638502/the-woo-button#latest
  • CaptainFantastic01
    CaptainFantastic01 Posts: 9,557 Member
    Options
    Mr_L33 wrote: »
    I hope I don't slip on ice today

The last time I slipped on ice I just laid there for like 10 minutes

Life alert man
  • Smilin40
    Smilin40 Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options

I take the power out of the word and use it as a positive woo. Like the Nature Boy, Ric Flair.

az8fst2c4dqq.gif

I thought the woo was meant for good like when natch woos the lady’s.x4tqgvd8z1k8.gif
  • CaptainFantastic01
    CaptainFantastic01 Posts: 9,557 Member
    Options

I take the power out of the word and use it as a positive woo. Like the Nature Boy, Ric Flair.

az8fst2c4dqq.gif

Yeah! Remember when woo was good! Bring back good woo!