what are your thoughts on green tea extract?

Options

Replies

• missafwilliams
    missafwilliams Posts: 49 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Authors:
    Chen IJ ; Branch of Linsen and Chinese Medicine, Taipei City Hospital, Taiwan; Taiwan International Traditional Chinese Medicine Training Center, Taipei, Taiwan; Institute of Traditional Medicine, School of Medicine, National Yang-Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan.
    Liu CY ; Branch of Linsen and Chinese Medicine, Taipei City Hospital, Taiwan; Taiwan International Traditional Chinese Medicine Training Center, Taipei, Taiwan; Institute of Traditional Medicine, School of Medicine, National Yang-Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan.
    Chiu JP ; Branch of Linsen and Chinese Medicine, Taipei City Hospital, Taiwan; Taiwan International Traditional Chinese Medicine Training Center, Taipei, Taiwan; Institute of Traditional Medicine, School of Medicine, National Yang-Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan.
    Hsu CH ; Branch of Linsen and Chinese Medicine, Taipei City Hospital, Taiwan; Taiwan International Traditional Chinese Medicine Training Center, Taipei, Taiwan; Institute of Traditional Medicine, School of Medicine, National Yang-Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan. Electronic address: owlherbs@yahoo.com.tw.

Source:
    Clinical Nutrition (Edinburgh, Scotland) [Clin Nutr] 2016 Jun; Vol. 35 (3), pp. 592-9. Date of Electronic Publication: 2015 May 29.
    Publication Type:
    Journal Article
    Language:
    English

Journal Info:
    Publisher: Elsevier Country of Publication: England NLM ID: 8309603 Publication Model: Print-Electronic Cited Medium: Internet ISSN: 1532-1983 (Electronic) Linking ISSN: 02615614 NLM ISO Abbreviation: Clin Nutr Subsets: In Process; MEDLINE
    Imprint Name(s):
    Publication : <2004->: Kidlington, Oxford, U.K. : Elsevier
    Original Publication : Edinburgh ; New York : Churchill Livingstone, c1982-

Abstract:
    Background and Aims: To examine the effect and safety of high-dose green tea extract (Epigallocatechin gallate, EGCG) at a daily dosage of 856.8 mg on weight reduction and changes of lipid profile and obesity-related hormone peptides in women with central obesity.
    Methods: We conducted a randomized, double-blind trial registered under ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier no. NCT02147041. A total of 115 women with central obesity were screened at our clinic. 102 of them with a body mass index (BMI) ≥ 27 kg/m(2) and a waist circumference (WC) ≥ 80 cm were eligible for the study. These women were randomly assigned to either a high-dose green tea group or placebo group. The total treatment time was 12 weeks. The main outcome measures were anthropometric measurements, lipid profiles, and obesity related hormone peptides including leptin, adiponectin, ghrelin, and insulin.
    Results: Significant weight loss , from 76.8 ± 11.3 kg to 75.7 ± 11.5 kg (p = 0.025), as well as decreases in BMI (p = 0.018) and waist circumference (p = 0.023) were observed in the treatment group after 12 weeks of high-dose EGCG treatment. This study also demonstrated a consistent trend of decreased total cholesterol, reaching 5.33%, and decreased LDL plasma levels. There was good tolerance of the treatment among subjects without any side effects or adverse events. Significantly lower ghrelin levels and elevated adiponectin levels were detected in the study group than in the placebo group.

Conclusion: 12 weeks of treatment with high-dose green tea extract resulted in significant weight loss , reduced waist circumference, and a consistent decrease in total cholesterol and LDL plasma levels without any side effects or adverse effects in women with central obesity. The antiobestic mechanism of high-dose green tea extract might be associated in part with ghrelin secretion inhibition, leading to increased adiponectin levels.
    (Copyright © 2015 Elsevier Ltd and European Society for Clinical Nutrition and Metabolism. All rights reserved.)
    Comments:
    Comment in: Clin Nutr. 2016 Feb;35(1):238. (PMID: 26527097)
    Comment in: Clin Nutr. 2016 Feb;35(1):239. (PMID: 26608524)
    Contributed Indexing:
    Keywords: EGCG 4; Epigallocatechin gallate; Green tea extract; Obese women
    Entry Date(s):
    Date Created: 20160
  • missafwilliams
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Authors:
    Haidari F ; Nutrition Research Center, Ahvaz Jundishapur University of Medical Sciences, Ahvaz, Iran.
    Shahi MM
    Zarei M
    Rafiei H
    Omidian K
    Source:
    Saudi Medical Journal [Saudi Med J] 2012 Feb; Vol. 33 (2), pp. 128-33.
    Publication Type:
    Journal Article; Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't
    Language:
    English
    Journal Info:
    Publisher: Medical Services Department, Saudi Arabian Armed Forces, Ministry Of Defence And Aviation Country of Publication: Saudi Arabia NLM ID: 7909441 Publication Model: Print Cited Medium: Internet ISSN: 0379-5284 (Print) Linking ISSN: 03795284 NLM ISO Abbreviation: Saudi Med J Subsets: MEDLINE
    Imprint Name(s):
    Publication : Riyadh : Medical Services Department, Saudi Arabian Armed Forces, Ministry Of Defence And Aviation
    Original Publication : Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, Riyadh Al-Kharj Hospital Programme.
    MeSH Terms:
    Camellia sinensis*
    Phytotherapy*
    Tea *
    Blood Glucose / *drug effects
    Body Weight / *drug effects
    Diabetes Mellitus, Experimental / *drug therapy
    Lipoproteins / *drug effects
    Plant Extracts / *therapeutic use
    Animals ; Lipoproteins / blood ; Lipoproteins, HDL / drug effects ; Lipoproteins, LDL / drug effects ; Male ; Plant Extracts / pharmacology ; Rats ; Rats, Wistar ; Triglycerides / blood

Abstract:
    Objective: To examine the effect of green tea extract on body weight , serum levels of glucose, and lipids in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats.

Methods: This experimental study was carried out in the Diabetes Research Center, Ahvaz University of Medical Sciences, Ahvaz, Iran from January 2011 to March 2011. Forty-eight male wistar rats (200-250 g) were divided randomly into 6 groups. Diabetes was induced by a single intraperitoneal injection of stereptozotocin (55 mg/kg). The experimental groups received alcohol extract of green tea leaves (100 mg/kg and 200 mg/kg) for 4 weeks and the body weight of animals were measured every day. Finally, blood samples were collected and analyzed for glucose and lipid profile levels.
    Results: Administration of green tea extract caused a significant decrease in serum glucose and total cholesterol levels and significantly improved the body weight loss in diabetic rats treated with 200 mg/kg green tea in comparison to diabetic control group. No significant changes were observed in triglyceride (p=0.04), low-density-lipoprotein cholesterol (p=0.000), and high-density-lipoprotein cholesterol levels (p=0.01) following intervention.
    Conclusion: It appears that green tea extract had both antihyperglycemic and hypocholesterolmic effects in diabetic rats.
    Substance Nomenclature:
    0 (Blood Glucose)
    0 (Lipoproteins)
    0 (Lipoproteins, HDL)
    0 (Lipoproteins, LDL)
    0 (Plant Extracts)
    0 ( Tea )
    0 (Triglycerides)
    Entry Date(s):
    Date Created: 20120213 Date Completed: 20120605
    Update Code:
    PMID:
    Notes:
    View: Mobile Site Full Site
  • missafwilliams
    Options
    @J72FIT
    These are actual articles taken from scientic research. Not blogs. Do research there are thousands more.
  • missafwilliams
    Options
    Authors:
    Basu A ; Nutritional Sciences, Human Environmental Sciences, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, Oklahoma, USA. arpita.basu@okstate.edu
    Sanchez K
    Leyva MJ
    Wu M
    Betts NM
    Aston CE
    Lyons TJ
    Source:
    Journal Of The American College Of Nutrition [J Am Coll Nutr] 2010 Feb; Vol. 29 (1), pp. 31-40.
    Publication Type:
    Journal Article; Randomized Controlled Trial; Research Support, N.I.H., Extramural; Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't
    Language:
    English
    Journal Info:
    Publisher: American College of Nutrition Country of Publication: United States NLM ID: 8215879 Publication Model: Print Cited Medium: Internet ISSN: 1541-1087 (Electronic) Linking ISSN: 07315724 NLM ISO Abbreviation: J Am Coll Nutr Subsets: MEDLINE
    Imprint Name(s):
    Publication : New York, NY : American College of Nutrition
    Original Publication : New York : Alan R. Liss, c1982-
    MeSH Terms:
    Body Weight / *drug effects
    Camellia sinensis / *chemistry
    Cholesterol / *blood
    Lipid Peroxidation / *drug effects
    Metabolic Syndrome X / *drug therapy
    Obesity / *drug therapy
    Plant Extracts / *therapeutic use
    Adult ; Aldehydes / blood ; Biological Availability ; Body Mass Index ; Case-Control Studies ; Catechin / analogs & derivatives ; Catechin / blood ; Catechin / pharmacology ; Catechin / therapeutic use ; Female ; Humans ; Hypolipidemic Agents / pharmacology ; Hypolipidemic Agents / therapeutic use ; Male ; Malondialdehyde / blood ; Metabolic Syndrome X / metabolism ; Obesity / metabolism ; Patient Compliance ; Phytotherapy ; Plant Extracts / chemistry ; Plant Extracts / pharmacology ; Single-Blind Method

Abstract:
    Objective: To compare the effects of supplementation of green tea beverage or green tea extracts with controls on body weight , glucose and lipid profile, biomarkers of oxidative stress, and safety parameters in obese subjects with metabolic syndrome.
    Design: Randomized, controlled prospective trial.
    Setting: General Clinical Research Center (GCRC) at University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center (OUHSC).
    Subjects: Thirty-five subjects with obesity and metabolic syndrome were recruited in age- and gender-matched trios and were randomly assigned to the control (4 cups water/d), green tea (4 cups/d), or green tea extract (2 capsules and 4 cups water/d) group for 8 weeks. The tea and extract groups had similar dosing of epiogallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG), the active compound in green tea .
    Methods: Anthropometrics, blood pressure, fasting glucose and lipids , nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR)-based lipid particle size, safety parameters, biomarkers of oxidative stress (oxidized low-density lipoprotein [LDL], myeloperoxidase [MPO], malondialdehyde and hydroxynonenals [MDA and HNE]), and free catechins were analyzed at screen and at 4 and 8 weeks of the study.
    Results: Pairwise comparisons showed green tea beverage and green tea extracts caused a significant decrease in body weight and body mass index (BMI) versus controls at 8 weeks (-2.5 +/- 0.7 kg, p < 0.01, and -1.9 +/- 0.6, p < 0.05, respectively). Green tea beverage showed a decreasing trend in LDL-cholesterol and LDL/high-density lipoprotein (HDL) versus controls (p < 0.1). Green tea beverage also significantly decreased MDA and HNE (-0.39 +/- 0.06 microM, p < 0.0001) versus controls. Plasma free catechins were detectable in both beverage and extract groups versus controls at screen and at 8 weeks, indicating compliance and bioavailability of green tea catechins.

Conclusions: Green tea beverage consumption (4 cups/d) or extract supplementation (2 capsules/d) for 8 weeks significantly decreased body weight and BMI. Green tea beverage further lowered lipid peroxidation versus age- and gender-matched controls, suggesting the role of green tea flavonoids in improving features of metabolic syndrome in obese patients.

Grant Information:
    M01-RR14467 United States RR NCRR NIH HHS
    Substance Nomenclature:
    0 (Aldehydes)
    0 (Hypolipidemic Agents)
    0 (Plant Extracts)
    4Y8F71G49Q (Malondialdehyde)
    8R1V1STN48 (Catec
  • missafwilliams
    Options
    To make it easier to read, another name for fats are >lipids
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    How did they control for diet and exercise? Self-reporting or...
  • missafwilliams
    Options
    Is green tea extracts still not beneficial for weight loss? :)
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Is green tea extracts still not beneficial for weight loss? :)

You're not answering the follow up questions.

1. It does not say what happened to the placebo group. Do you have that info?

2. How did they control for diet and exercise?
  • missafwilliams
    Options
    NO.

If you recall correctly, my initial topic was Not that.
    The point I was bringing across from the start ( please read above)
    was that green tea extracts DOES increase weight loss. My diet remained the same as well as my Activity.

I have given you the ISBN number as well as an overview of 3 articles that support my hypotheses. The PDF should be on Google scholar. Please go read.

Your claim stands apon an intellectual Bias component. Therefore is invalid.
    You should do your own research, I'm not a database.

Okay enough of this. I am switching off.

This was fun.
    Keep well. <3
  • J72FIT
    edited November 2016
    Options
    NO.

If you recall correctly, my initial topic was Not that.
    The point I was bringing across from the start ( please read above)
    was that green tea extracts DOES increase weight loss. My diet remained the same as well as my Activity.

I have given you the ISBN number as well as an overview of 3 articles that support my hypotheses. The PDF should be on Google scholar. Please go read.

Your claim stands apon an intellectual Bias component. Therefore is invalid.
    You should do your own research, I'm not a database.

Okay enough of this. I am switching off.

This was fun.
    Keep well. <3

So I'll take it you can't answer the questions, ok...
  • missafwilliams
    Options
    It's bad to go head straight into keto.
    Only a fool I believe does not prepare for something in advance ( my opinion, not subjected to anyone)
    So I have been preparing myself a week in advance. sticking to my calorie goal and macro of 70:25:5

My activity stayed the same because I've reached daily goal consistently of (12000 -13000 steps) according to my fitbit.

However I only started taking green tea extracts on Monday ( 3 days ago).

From that stats, I compared.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    More if you are really interested in science.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD008650.pub2/abstract

Authors' conclusions

Green tea preparations appear to induce a small, statistically non-significant weight loss in overweight or obese adults. Because the amount of weight loss is small, it is not likely to be clinically important. Green tea had no significant effect on the maintenance of weight loss. Of those studies recording information on adverse events, only two identified an adverse event requiring hospitalisation. The remaining adverse events were judged to be mild to moderate.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    More if you are really interested in science.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD008650.pub2/abstract

Authors' conclusions

Green tea preparations appear to induce a small, statistically non-significant weight loss in overweight or obese adults. Because the amount of weight loss is small, it is not likely to be clinically important. Green tea had no significant effect on the maintenance of weight loss. Of those studies recording information on adverse events, only two identified an adverse event requiring hospitalisation. The remaining adverse events were judged to be mild to moderate.

What say you @missafwilliams ?
  • missafwilliams
    Options
    you keep doing what works for you. And I will keep doing me.
    I gave well cited sources supporting my hypothesis.

People are subjective and perceive things differently based on there own experiences.

Please stop wasting your time .

Tomorrow morning I will still wake up take my green tea extracts and drink my yummy green tea regardless of what you claim.

Bye.