what are your thoughts on green tea extract?

Options

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    wanzik wrote: »
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Many teas are nice
    Some may have health benefits
    But not extract pills

Not true. I talked about that in my first post in this thread if you care.

And if you cared you would've read all the replies showing you that you were wrong.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,869 Member
    Options
    Jakep2323 wrote: »
    Lets all have a cup of tea

I am!!

This one ... because it smells so good, and tastes pretty good, and the camomile seems to relax me just before bed. The relaxation side might be my imagination, but that's OK because it smells and tastes good. :)

791148.jpg
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Lets calm down...I'll put the kettle on...

Drinking my mint black tea right now :)
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    We're also glossing over the fact that OP lost 10 lbs in 3 days. I think we all can agree that was water, possibly a little muscle and probably zero fat. Also still waiting to hear the time frame in which she lost 30 lbs.

How would one lose muscle but not fat? It sounds like the OP is susceptible to water retention.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    IMO, 10 lbs in 3 days answers your question...
  • J72FIT
    Options
    We're also glossing over the fact that OP lost 10 lbs in 3 days. I think we all can agree that was water, possibly a little muscle and probably zero fat. Also still waiting to hear the time frame in which she lost 30 lbs.

How would one lose muscle but not fat? It sounds like the OP is susceptible to water retention.

Very good point. He seemed so certain when using words like 'possibly' and 'probably' - complete guesswork lol

Unclear what you are getting at...
  • J72FIT
    edited December 2016
    Options

I agree. That said, she claims green tea extract is helpful in burning fat.

IMO, she did not burn any significant amount of fat in 3 days for a 10 lbs loss...
  • PhilP0wer
    PhilP0wer Posts: 76 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    So many people out here keep saying that there is no evidence that green tea helps with weight loss. smh. Does google not work for people?! Here's a link to an abstract of a 2009 study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19597519
    For people who don't like to read really bland research papers, multiple studies have found that drinking green tea has a very small positive effect on weight loss. I've also read studies that say that green tea extract is hard on your liver. My takeaway is that green tea is good, but not a weight loss miracle and green tea extract is bad (if I'm going to work my liver it's going to involve beer!).
  • PhilP0wer
    PhilP0wer Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    2 lbs over 3 months. Stretch that out over a year and that matters. A lot of people on here are way too extremist for my taste. A weight loss method is not a failure just because it doesn't make you lose 2 or more lbs a month.
  • stevencloser
    edited December 2016
    Options
    2 lbs over 3 months is a drop in the ocean for anyone who really needs to lose weight and adding supplements for that little is useless for anyone who doesn't need to lose much to begin with.

We're talking here about a possible 8-10 pounds in a year when the slow weight loss that is promoted here for people who don't need to lose that much is 25-50 per year.
  • J72FIT
    edited December 2016
    Options
    PhilP0wer wrote: »
    2 lbs over 3 months. Stretch that out over a year and that matters. A lot of people on here are way too extremist for my taste. A weight loss method is not a failure just because it doesn't make you lose 2 or more lbs a month.

Is the 8 lbs loss in one year an additional 8lbs or would the loss have been the same or better with straight calorie control...?
  • stevencloser
    Options
    Also in the study you posted, it did not show a statistically significant effect on caucasians, neither by itself nor compared to the other ethnicities.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    How much green tea was being consumed by participants in the study?