what are your thoughts on green tea extract?

Options

Replies

• the_fit_geek
    the_fit_geek Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    never did the extract. However I do Green Tea most mornings and afternoons, so yeah...
  • wanzik
    wanzik Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    PhilP0wer wrote: »
    Oh and it just says caffeine works for some people in the conclusion. Which is not unique to green tea and would be true for anyone particularly sensitive to the effects of caffeine. It can be a useful stimulant and appetite suppressant which will equal higher NEAT and fewer consumed calories. Et voila, a change in the CICO equation that results in a little weight loss.

Once again, green tea isn't significantly magical.

Didn't say it was magical. More like one of many pieces available for a healthy lifestyle. I would put green tea right underneath water: each one you drink is a soda you are not drinking. You guys are missing the point here. If someone is doing something that has a minor effect on their metabolism and a major effect when it comes to lowering their calorie intake you should let them have it.

Nobody has told the OP that she has to quit taking green tea extract. People are just pointing out that that despite individual studies that show a small benefit, meta-analysis of overall studies doesn't show that there is any real weight loss benefit to taking green tea extract.

A-freaking-men!

It's more important for them to be right. LOL!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    wanzik wrote: »
    Oh and it just says caffeine works for some people in the conclusion. Which is not unique to green tea and would be true for anyone particularly sensitive to the effects of caffeine. It can be a useful stimulant and appetite suppressant which will equal higher NEAT and fewer consumed calories. Et voila, a change in the CICO equation that results in a little weight loss.

Didn't say it was magical. More like one of many pieces available for a healthy lifestyle. I would put green tea right underneath water: each one you drink is a soda you are not drinking. You guys are missing the point here. If someone is doing something that has a minor effect on their metabolism and a major effect when it comes to lowering their calorie intake you should let them have it.

Nobody has told the OP that she has to quit taking green tea extract. People are just pointing out that that despite individual studies that show a small benefit, meta-analysis of overall studies doesn't show that there is any real weight loss benefit to taking green tea extract.

A-freaking-men!

It's not about being right, it's about the truth...
  • J72FIT
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Green tea is good for you in the right amount, it's an antioxidant and energy booster, and increases your "feel good" hormones and suppresses your appetite, coffee can do the same thing, so can other combinations of supplements. We all have different body chemistry so what works for one person may not work for another...

No, we actually don't. The body chemistry of humans is remarkably similar, with differences/variations being extremely miniscule. This is a ridiculous saying usually trotted out when somebody has no rational/scientific evidence to prove a point.

+1
  • J72FIT
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

A-freaking-men!

It's not about being right, it's about the truth...

Accuracy is important, especially on subjects like nutrition where there is so much misinformation floating around (and so many unethical people trying to make money selling plans and supplements based on that misinformation).

I agree....
  • wanzik
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Many teas are nice
    Some may have health benefits
    But not extract pills

Not true. I talked about that in my first post in this thread if you care.

I think you also kinda admitted that there was a strong possibility that the benefit was all in your head and that you were fine paying for nothing since you made a nice living. Or something like that...

Not quite that, but like I did say: Whatever works.

"You say it's all in my mind? If it is, it's still worth the pennies I spend on it every day. I make good money, I can afford it."

Sounds like it to me...

And you're always right...
  • wanzik
    Options
    jmt08c wrote: »

Good link. Has this quote:
    The good news:

While these developments are bleak for supplements with high doses of green tea extract, those with low or moderate levels appear to be safe, according to the research. And certainly drinking several cups of regular green tea daily is fine, Bonkovsky said.

He also acknowledged recent studies that support the efficacy of moderate doses to improve fat oxidation, body composition and performance. A study in January’s Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition found healthy active men who took green tea extract equal to about six or seven cups of tea per day experienced a 25% increase in fat oxidation, compared to no change in the men who took the placebo.

This study followed a previous mouse study published in 2014 that found green tea extract and exercise can reduce body mass almost 30%, abdominal fat almost 40% and improve fasting blood sugar and insulin levels.

The juxtaposition of these findings and the dangers detected in research focused on high doses suggest that, as is the case with most things, moderation is the key, Bonkovsky concluded.

So green tea has a variety of benefits, including fat loss, insulin levels and fasting blood sugar. Too much of a good thing can be a negative. Much like a lot of things out there. Not claiming anything is magical, of course. But those spreading the falsehood that green tea has absolutely no effect on fat loss are essentially lying.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Many teas are nice
    But not extract pills

Not true. I talked about that in my first post in this thread if you care.

And if you cared you would've read all the replies showing you that you were wrong.

I did read all the replies, bro. I've also done my own research, bro. What other people claim on here is more bro science that I'm not really interested in. :smile:

Well, this is ironic to say the least.

Quite.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Green tea makes me feel sick 10 minutes after I ingest it (not on an empty stomach), so...it's a nope for me. Then again, Centrum does the exact same thing to me. I cannot even imagine what the extract would do to me.
    Many teas are nice
    But not extract pills

Nice haiku you have there! :D
  • wanzik
    Options
    all I can say is if people want to believe it burns fat, to eat in a surplus of calories and drink a lot of green tea and see if it burns fat like you claim it does.

Nobody believes it will do that. Nobody has said that. Nobody has claimed that. It would certainly be nice but....

I think we all know we need deficit to lose fat. So we look for ways to cut intake AND ways to increase the burn rate.
  • wanzik
    Options
    That's just lame. Not going to bother.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    all I can say is if people want to believe it burns fat, to eat in a surplus of calories and drink a lot of green tea and see if it burns fat like you claim it does.

Nobody believes it will do that. Nobody has said that. Nobody has claimed that. It would certainly be nice but....

I think we all know we need deficit to lose fat. So we look for ways to cut intake AND ways to increase the burn rate.

But.

If green tea really burned fat, it would be able to do it regardless of being in a deficit............it makes no scientific sense, well in any way at all really but specifically, for it to not "burn fat" at maintenance or an excess but for it to suddenly and magically happen when one is in a deficit.

Critical thinking!

Good point! If green tea really does burn fat, would that explain why some people have trouble gaining or maintaining weight? Because some people drink tons of green tea throughout the day?
  • wanzik
    Options
    That's just lame. Not going to bother.

Aka: I have no real argument, I just enjoy being contrary.

Yeah, that's it. Aren't you so proud.