what are your thoughts on green tea extract?

Options

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    has anyone tried green tea salted caramel flavour, wondering if that one taste nice

Haven't tried it, but I think it would either be amazing or completely awful - seems like one of those combos for which there wouldn't be much middle ground. ;)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Man I have to start creating and selling supplements. There is a fortune to be had...

A celebrity endorsement seems to be the route to untold fortune.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Man I have to start creating and selling supplements. There is a fortune to be had...

A celebrity endorsement seems to be the route to untold fortune.

indeed...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    wanzik wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    you keep doing what works for you. And I will keep doing me.
    I gave well cited sources supporting my hypothesis.

People are subjective and perceive things differently based on there own experiences.

Please stop wasting your time .

Tomorrow morning I will still wake up take my green tea extracts and drink my yummy green tea regardless of what you claim.

Bye.

Some people just love arguing about everything. Their only goal in repeatedly asking you questions instead of just using Bing themselves is to make you look stupid, not to correct any misinformation or have any kind of conversation - if that were the case they'd just discuss what they know instead of trying to force you into answering their questions while they sit coiled up waiting to strike. They get off trying to make you look and feel stupid. They aren't wasting their time if they get a rise out of you. Don't let them.

We are not all the same. What works for one person might not work for another. As I said earlier: whatever works, do it! I'll be taking my green tea extract as well. :wink:

No, it's called the "burden of proof". When the overwhelming majority of the scientific community know the facts say it does nothing for fat loss, the burden of proof lies on the person making the wild claim. That's just the way it works.

If someone comes in and says the earth is flat, do you really think the majority need to point out why it is not? Yes, this debate is on the same level of silliness.

And some people get off on the debate instead of just posting their opinion and moving on.

You are free to believe anything you like. However, if you try to convince others then you have to provide proof. On a site like this one where the majority of folks are here to learn about health and weight loss, any bro science that is not challenged will look to the first timer like it is a fact. Then they end up wasting their time and money on nonsense.

It's not that I don't believe science, it's just in this area I take it with a grain of salt. Because salt is good for you right? Or is it bad this week. Coffee is good... or is it bad. We all know eggs are bad.... but not the whites. The yolks are good for you this week but they won't be next week. Margarine is better than butter, right? You want to talk about "facts" - in science those facts seem to change pretty often because nobody has a grasp of all it yet in nutrition and weight loss. Some think they do but they don't. There are studies all over the place that contradict each other. The ones I read were pro-green tea. And it was one of the few, if not only things that was better in pill form than drinking (as I posted earlier). So I really don't care what "facts" any of the "bros" here post. I intend to keep using it. I actually feel positive effects from it. You say it's all in my mind? If it is, it's still worth the pennies I spend on it every day. I make good money, I can afford it. :smiley:

We should stop looking at individual studies. This is what gets folks in trouble. Major news sites are notorious for this. Anyone can find a study or 2 to back up their beliefs. The great thing about the scientific method is that it is self correcting. One study is meaningless unless it can be reproduced. If you want to know the facts as best as they are currently available, look at ALL the studies and see the trend. That is the point of meta analysis and that is how science works.

Another thing that is important is dosage and controls. More often than not (and this is seen a lot in aspartame studies) is the dosages is crazy high to have an effect. That is why i love examine.com is because they look at all available studies (and link them) to develop a conclusion.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    you keep doing what works for you. And I will keep doing me.
    I gave well cited sources supporting my hypothesis.

People are subjective and perceive things differently based on there own experiences.

Please stop wasting your time .

Tomorrow morning I will still wake up take my green tea extracts and drink my yummy green tea regardless of what you claim.

Bye.

Some people just love arguing about everything. Their only goal in repeatedly asking you questions instead of just using Bing themselves is to make you look stupid, not to correct any misinformation or have any kind of conversation - if that were the case they'd just discuss what they know instead of trying to force you into answering their questions while they sit coiled up waiting to strike. They get off trying to make you look and feel stupid. They aren't wasting their time if they get a rise out of you. Don't let them.

We are not all the same. What works for one person might not work for another. As I said earlier: whatever works, do it! I'll be taking my green tea extract as well. :wink:

No, it's called the "burden of proof". When the overwhelming majority of the scientific community know the facts say it does nothing for fat loss, the burden of proof lies on the person making the wild claim. That's just the way it works.

If someone comes in and says the earth is flat, do you really think the majority need to point out why it is not? Yes, this debate is on the same level of silliness.

And some people get off on the debate instead of just posting their opinion and moving on.

You are free to believe anything you like. However, if you try to convince others then you have to provide proof. On a site like this one where the majority of folks are here to learn about health and weight loss, any bro science that is not challenged will look to the first timer like it is a fact. Then they end up wasting their time and money on nonsense.

It's not that I don't believe science, it's just in this area I take it with a grain of salt. Because salt is good for you right? Or is it bad this week. Coffee is good... or is it bad. We all know eggs are bad.... but not the whites. The yolks are good for you this week but they won't be next week. Margarine is better than butter, right? You want to talk about "facts" - in science those facts seem to change pretty often because nobody has a grasp of all it yet in nutrition and weight loss. Some think they do but they don't. There are studies all over the place that contradict each other. The ones I read were pro-green tea. And it was one of the few, if not only things that was better in pill form than drinking (as I posted earlier). So I really don't care what "facts" any of the "bros" here post. I intend to keep using it. I actually feel positive effects from it. You say it's all in my mind? If it is, it's still worth the pennies I spend on it every day. I make good money, I can afford it. :smiley:

We should stop looking at individual studies. This is what gets folks in trouble. Major news sites are notorious for this. Anyone can find a study or 2 to back up their beliefs. The great thing about the scientific method is that it is self correcting. One study is meaningless unless it can be reproduced. If you want to know the facts as best as they are currently available, look at ALL the studies and see the trend. That is the point of meta analysis and that is how science works.

Another thing that is important is dosage and controls. More often than not (and this is seen a lot in aspartame studies) is the dosages is crazy high to have an effect. That is why i love examine.com is because they look at all available studies (and link them) to develop a conclusion.

Examine.com is one of my top sources when researching a supplement also. And regarding Green Tea Extract, the entry in the Human Effect Matrix says:
    There appears to be a fat reducing effect associated with green tea, but it is minor and unreliable.
    (and there are links to six scientific studies verifying that information).

Green Tea Extract is one of those woo scam products that was pimped by Dr. Oz as a "miracle fat burner". Green tea itself has several beneficial effects, but weight/fat loss is not one of them.
  • wanzik
    wanzik Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Many teas are nice
    Some may have health benefits
    But not extract pills

Not true. I talked about that in my first post in this thread if you care.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I'm not really a green tea fan, but have found that green tea extract supplements help reduce my appetite. So I generally pop a few a day.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,868 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Is green tea a stable in your diet too?

Nope.

I tried to like it way back when it first started appearing on supermarket shelves years ago ... but it just doesn't appeal. I've tried it a few times since, and probably have some in the cupboard ... but it still doesn't appeal. Green tea with mandarin is tolerable and I'll have that once in a while, but I think the last time I had it was ... hmmm ... over a year ago.

I do, however, drink lemon-ginger tea and rooibos chai tea. Those I like and can drink them without any sort of dairy products or sweeteners. :)

Green Tea Kit Kats are good, however.