You cannot target fat loss!!!

Options
Hey guys,

So one of the things that i really hate is seeing these "trainers" and tv shows that give people the wrong information, the biggest of them all is targeting fat.

There is no way at all to target a specific area and burn fat, thats not how our bodies work.

There is no reason for you to do a million crunches a day to lose belly fat, i see this time and time and time again and its just a waste of time.

If you have the flabby arms, big belly, or whatever the only way you'll lose that is through proper nutrition and by dropping your over all bf% our bodies burn fat for energy, so the harder you're working out the more you're burning, it generally takes from the easiest source it can and doesn't just target one area of your body.

Get yourselves a balanced diet and workout plan, do compound movements in the gym and stop walking on the treadmill for hours and hours, rev it up with some hiit training, get that heart rate up and the calories will burn extremely fast, you have to shock your bodies and keep it guessing!!!

Doing the same exercises over and over again, day i and day out while at first you'll lose some weight, will only lead to a plateau and slow progression with your goals.

Our bodies are highly adaptive and you have to keep it guessing, you have to challenge it and push it for optimal results, that with a balanced nutrition plan will lead to the results you desire over time.

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    While you can't target fat loss, you CAN tone certain areas through targeted exercise.
  • antdelsa
    antdelsa Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    While you can't target fat loss, you CAN tone certain areas through targeted exercise.

This isn't true...

"Toning" is simply building muscle and reducing body fat, while you can target muscle gains you can't target fat loss, "toning" is a myth and an overly used expression that tricks people into programs and this false idea of targeted weight loss.

• antdelsa
    Options
    Whats wrong with HIIT ? Lol its not tough at all go on a treadmill walk for a minute sprint for 30 secs and do this 10 times, increase the intensity each week, its simple... yes you'll be out of breath and probably wanting to quit, but I'd much rather be on a treadmill for 15 mins than for an hour plus, all I'm trying to say is push yourselves harder in the gym, challenge your bodies to go past the limits YOU have set for it mentally and you'll see quicker results
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    antdelsa wrote: »
    Whats wrong with HIIT ? Lol its not tough at all go on a treadmill walk for a minute sprint for 30 secs and do this 10 times, increase the intensity each week, its simple... yes you'll be out of breath and probably wanting to quit, but I'd much rather be on a treadmill for 15 mins than for an hour plus, all I'm trying to say is push yourselves harder in the gym, challenge your bodies to go past the limits YOU have set for it mentally and you'll see quicker results

Most people don't do HIIT right. And steady state cardio is good too!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options

This isn't true...

"Toning" is simply building muscle and reducing body fat, while you can target muscle gains you can't target fat loss, "toning" is a myth and an overly used expression that tricks people into programs and this false idea of targeted weight loss.

I never said it was fat loss, but whether it's muscle gain or toning, I'll take it!

When I changed up my swimming routine to incorporate strokes that require different muscle groups than I had been using, I didn't lose a single pound, but my (formerly) flabby thighs and batwings sure noticed, and I actually got abs!

Pants that used to grip my waist and thighs began hanging off me, and blouses that used to bind around the armhole and upper arm loosened up noticeably. I even own a few tank tops now!

• LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    This. I think this is what most people are really meaning, anyway.
  • antdelsa
    Options
    If all your doing is steady state cardio day in and day out then thats fine, but you're cheating yourselves out of progress ..

As i said before our bodies are highly adaptive, walking for an hour on a treadmill is not pushing your body to its limits, you'll eventually burn less and less calories, its ok to do some steady state cardio, i walk/jog 3.5 to 5 miles on the morning to kickstart my metabolism so i burn more cals throughout the day, but i also make sure to spend 15-20 mins a day on the treadmill and or the elliptical pushing my body.

I didn't say HIIT was the only effective way to exercise, what i said was try something new, shock your body and see the results faster. If you can't do it then don't bash my post, start off slow and work your way up to it, because the fact of the matter is its a much much much more effective way than steady state cardio will ever be

• antdelsa
    Options
    MityMax96 wrote: »
    There is no such thing as "tone"
    Your muscles have a predefined shape, and look.....genetics.
    You will see what you have when you reduce your body fat enough to show the muscle.
    Assuming that you do something to maintain/develop said muscle during weight loss.

I said there's no such thing as "toning" which i stand behind ... toning is simply dropping bf and building muscle ... the toning phrase is misleading to people who are overweight and want to target a specific area, its the reason people are in the gym doing a million crunches and bicep curls, and not making the most out of there time in the gym, then wondering why they aren't achieving their goals
  • coleg04
    coleg04 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    If all your doing is steady state cardio day in and day out then thats fine, but you're cheating yourselves out of progress ..

As i said before our bodies are highly adaptive, walking for an hour on a treadmill is not pushing your body to its limits, you'll eventually burn less and less calories, its ok to do some steady state cardio, i walk/jog 3.5 to 5 miles on the morning to kickstart my metabolism so i burn more cals throughout the day, but i also make sure to spend 15-20 mins a day on the treadmill and or the elliptical pushing my body.

I didn't say HIIT was the only effective way to exercise, what i said was try something new, shock your body and see the results faster. If you can't do it then don't bash my post, start off slow and work your way up to it, because the fact of the matter is its a much much much more effective way than steady state cardio will ever be

Says who? What credentials do you have?

This is common knowledge.
This discussion has been closed.