WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2016

Replies

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    karen your fond memory of a music teacher impacting your town gave me a lift. I hope every day that that is what I do. Staying positive, (with kids it's easy) but with the admin and toxicicity swirling about, it can be a bit overwhelming, your post reminded me to keep it simple, stay focussed in the positive.

Cheri good luck with closing, may it go smoothly and you put that chapter of your lives behind you.

Looking forward to a super cold and possibly snowy day, but nothing like what the west and Midwest is getting socked with! DH and I have plans to pick out a tree after work and get some takeout tonight. Fun!! ;)

NYKAREN
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    <3

Kate
  • Ann262
    Ann262 Posts: 266 Member
    Good morning ladies! I am off to a canine agility trial (what you see in my profile picture) that always means LOTS of steps on my fitbit. However, 2 Christmas parties today! Fooooood.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,600 Member
    OK ladies, I am going to have to put this kipper thing straight! They do not come in cans! (I had pilchards in cans as a child)They are dry cured, split and smoked. The best ones are delicious and considered quite a delicacy. The only problem is they stink your house out after you've heated them up!

siokixon89mm.png

The ones I used in the paté had the bones taken out. If you ever come to Scotland you could have porridge, followed by kippers for breakfast! Yum!

In Britain we all pay a licence of £135 per year or thereabouts for the BBC. I get everything else free on Free view and have a stick for Internet connection. I choose to get two foregn language DVDs a month from Amazon for £4 as I hardly have time to watch those! I record films free from the TV on a recorder. Your packages all sound horribly expensive! We have a very cheap phone and modem deal because we complained dirdct to the CEO earlier this year about a recurring fault on the line. :D

Lots of love, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,847 Member
    <3 Still here. Just holiday busy. Family parties this weekend. Saturday my family, Sunday DH's family. Hope to connect one of those days with you ladies! xoxoxox KJ (Kelly) <3
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,994 Member
    morning ladies~
    it is chilly down here in Florida today.. but from what I hear frigid in Connecticut so I will grin and bare it. I got almost 14,000 steps yesterday. will try and work myself up to even more today..as you can see there is alot more to do down here and better weather to do it in..
    Tom working with a neighbor down here to put in an outlet on front of carport so that he can plug in another security camera.. why all of a sudden he is getting so geaked out on camera's down here is beyond me..
    I am on my second cup of tea.. and will go out for a walk in a few minutes..
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,525 Member
    Oh Goodness! I haven't curled for 2 weeks and my body hurts this morning.

Retirement seems to be just a bit too busy. Today we are possibly heading off on a two day road trip to pick up a couple trucks for our son. Then Sunday off to my second cousins 100th birthday party. All I can think about is ...... all the sitting and what are my food choices going to Be?

Here is wave to everyone

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Thanks for setting the record straight, Heather.

In my opinion, kippers are an acquired taste, like Marmite and peanut butter and cod liver oil. I grew up on peanut butter and acquired a taste for Marmite when I lived in London at age 11. Kippers never grew on me, though. My issue with them isn't so much that they stink up the house, as that they keep coming back all day in the form of burps.

Cod liver oil does the same thing, but the brand I buy has a delicate lemony flavor so I don't mind the burps. After moving to Norway, I've even grown to like it. For the first few years after we moved, my husband prevented me from even trying by saying - at random moments on weekend mornings - "When I burp, it tastes like cod liver oil." :noway:

He's supposed to be coming home to Longyearbyen today. His flight was delayed out of Tromsø for a couple hours because of fog in Longyearbyen. The plane has taken off now, but just before departure he texted "They're going to give it a go." Highly encouraging...

/Penny at the North Pole, where the lights of the airport are currently visible
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,132 Member
    :)Heather, thanks for the lesson about kippers--I got my info from the internet.

:) It's -6 C here this morning but the streets are dry so Sasha and I will have a good walk....and if she doesn't want to walk, I'll walk alone.

<3 Barbie
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 4,194 Member
    Good morning ladies.

Not writing much. Haven't felt well for a while. But not giving up. Still depressed, in pain, general malaise from UTI, worries, and on it goes.......

Rita from frigid CT
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,061 Member
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    ALLIE ~ Good for you. But, he ain't gonna like that at all.
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,225 Member
    Hi friends. I had a very long day yesterday (11 hours) with the final exam, and today is another long and busy one. So this is just a quick check in. We have graduation later today so lots to get done before then. Take care and stay warm. Meg
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,225 Member
    PS Allie very reasonable but I agree with Peach. I hope you have a plan for self-care after the dust settles because I think you will be very stressed but hang in there. Stick to your guns. We all love and support you. meg
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Penny: I hope your DH has made it safely home to Longyearbyen by now. :flowerforyou:

Allie: I wonder whether drawing a line in the sand is going to be helpful. Do you have access to any sort of counseling? Perhaps you should go on your own for a while and see whether guidance from a professional can help you come up with a good plan to deal with this. (((HUGS)))

We still have snow on the ground but it seems to be gone from sidewalks. We didn't have trouble running errands here in town yesterday. I hope to go to yoga today and that is achievable. I don't know whether going anywhere near Portland is a good idea, and we go through there to get to Salem where the cemetery is located. We will see.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Allie: I wonder whether drawing a line in the sand is going to be helpful. Do you have access to any sort of counseling? Perhaps you should go on your own for a while and see whether guidance from a professional can help you come up with a good plan to deal with this. (((HUGS)))

KATLA ~ Very wise advice.

• Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited December 2016
    Allie - No, not at all unreasonable! The unreasonable thing is that you only get $20 per week, even though you bring in your own paycheck and do so much housework!

And I agree with Meg and Peach: he won't like it. If you can get him to discuss these issues, it might be a good idea to be clear about which bills you pay or what percentage of the total costs you pay.

Katla's advice is also well worth considering. I can envision a really tricky ride home from Florida.

Cheri - I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you too!

/Penny at the unfoggy North Pole

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,600 Member
    Allie - ((((HUGS)))) <3

I've just finished the Eggplant rollatinis from skinnytaste.com. They are in the freezer and looking faaaaabulous! I think DH and DSIL could have a little tiny lamb chop with them. DH cooked the pears in spiced rum and apple juice for the Boxing Day dessert. They are cooling off and looking amaaaaaazing! That is everything ready except easy sauces and the Raspberry and chocolate chip ice cream for New Year. That is supposed to be diabetic friendly. ;) Mainly raspberries and yoghurt.
    I had a lot of eggplant left over so that is baked and in the freezer.
    Just got my son and stepdaughter to think about now. :sad: The pistachios are sitting on the counter top looking at me. :p

I've got zucchini noodles all prepped for tonight's sauce of leek and ham. :D Leeks done. B)

I did 550 words of my memoir this morning. o:)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx