WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2016

Options

Replies

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Joyce – Sure do hate it that you are still feeling under the weather, hope you start feeling much better real soon!

Pip – Santa's Babies ♥♥♥

Kim from NC – In some states if you are 75; you can get a ‘free’ hunting and fishing license. They probably ‘think’ they can no longer hunt. DH just sits in a box stand of leaning against a tree.

DH & DOS got home about 6:00pm. DH came in and we were talking about their trip and he said that DYS had followed them up to the gate (saying he needed to do something on it to repair it). Told him that they should plan on coming back the 2nd week of January (rut season) and they said their goodbyes. DH said he teared up but did not let loose because of DOS. Said that he had to fight back tears, for him and for DOS; and then they flowed and he sobbed from the bottom of his heart, wishing we lived closer to them. Basically, we’ve missed the better portion of his life 1/2th of it, to be exact. He says it is harder to leave him, he misses him so; I started crying and knelt down before him. He wondered how he felt when we would leave him to go back inside a crappy trailer and be alone. At least now he has a beautiful wife and step-daughter [‘his’ daughter] and wonderful bosses who are good to them. He’ll never move back as Louisiana has now become home to him because of living the over 10 years. I don’t know ‘why’ it seemed to affect him so much; but, I also miss my ‘baby’ because I only get to see him, if I am lucky, just twice a year. I want DH to go back out there to spend another 10 days, but this time, I want to be the one who goes with him, even if they have to pack all their hunting gear around me and pee in a cup. I want to see my baby. DOS has always be his Daddy’s ‘baby’; and DYS has always been ‘mine’. To hear DH cry like a baby, and sobbing was heartbreaking. If they get the job they are working on finished this week, he will feel better. Hope it is not raining tomorrow; but it is right now. I think he ‘needs’ to see DYS again. I think that my BnL’s ‘stroke’ has finally ‘hit him hard because we got daily briefings on his progress. God had his hand on that man, and my sister and prayers for all things they needed always came through.
    I hurt so much because I know that DH is hurting.

Lenora
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening My Dear Friends,
    Katla, I think your idea of keeping your foot chains in the car is brilliant. I come up with some wonderful ideas but not sure I’d have thought of that one. Way to go. (later) I love your plan with the wreath! That sounds like a “Win-Win”.

Joyce, I’m almost in tears reading about the problems you are still having. Trust me, I know about back pain and my heart goes out to you. I’m sending healing thoughts and prayers your way. Please feel better soon!!

Janetr, I think it’s a good idea to look at those pictures every once in a while to remember why you now do what you do. I’ve put on a few pounds from my lowest and I’m working hard to get them off. I know I don’t want to gain back what I’ve lost and would be so upset. I didn’t lose nearly as much as you but know how much better I feel. You are such an inspiration so keep up the good work.

I woke up early this morning and didn’t have a nap since I was packing at my friend’s house. I went to bed early, probably around 10:00 to 10:30. I woke up at midnight, wide awake and finally got up and did a little work for a committee meeting I have tomorrow night. *Actually I guess it’s tonight, now.* I love being caught up here rather than 150 posts to read. Lol I hope you are all sleeping well and that I can go back to sleep. clip-art-sleeping-440993.jpg

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto any Newbies. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

Sending love, good thoughts and sunshine to all of you and I hope you all have a Happy and Healthy Day!
    I Love yout07209.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • sherryminch
    sherryminch Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hey now.....

"Alvin and The Chipmunks" was hilarious as usual, cheered me right up!...I especially love the part where they are in the recording studio and that guy gives them chocolate caramel frappacinos or whatever they are (some sort of coffee drink with chocolate and caramel) and they start bouncing off the walls!!....kinda reminds me of me when I have too much Diet Mt. Dew....lmoa!.....

Am watching "Bad Santa" now.....love Billy Bob Thornton!....

Barbie and Kim - forgive me but when I cry and whine on here it just makes me feel like a drama queen....and that's not me....sometimes I have a really hard time sharing my heartaches and bad feelings....I guess it comes from living with a narcissist for 10 years, you learn very quickly not to share stuff like that because they always think it's got to do with them and they fly off in a rage because of it and it just makes things worse....10 years of that forces you to stuff your feelings down inside and keep them there at all costs....so I am still learning to let things out.....and sometimes it all comes out inappropriately....

Katla - what a wonderful idea for the wreaths!!....and an awesome way to honor them!....I'm sure whoever gets them will love them and think what a wonderful person you were to donate them!!...good job!...I am proud of you!...

Gloria - I love Rock'em Sock'em Robots!!!....I used to have one as a kid and I used to take all my anger at my drunk drug-addled mom out on the poor thing!!...I hope your boss has a lot of fun playing with it!...

Janetr - you have become what I aspire to be!...I look up to you and what you have accomplished....maybe someday I can say the same!!!....

Well, I only managed about 3,000 steps today but with all the PT exercises three times today and other activities I managed to burn about 900 calories!...woohoo!!....and I only took in about 1,300 calories.....so I think I might just be ahead of the game today!...although I did go a little over on my cholesterol and sodium intakes, the only thing I ate that even came close to being "bad" was a couple of small blueberry muffins out of the batch I made today....the rest was good solid whole foods so I am proud of myself.....

I also noticed when I put my jeans on this morning that they have become quite loose and I think I can now drop a size from 28 to 26!....I haven't been a 26 for almost 3 years now.......I am going to consider this a NSV and probably go shopping for some new jeans after the first of the year.....yipeeee!!.... :D ....my tops have already gone from 5X to 3X (I think I am losing more weight up top than on the bottom, but that's OK, that's doable!) a couple of months ago....so I'm doing great there....and I think living in this little town is gonna help a lot as there is NO fast food/junk food places here....to get to anything like that kind of stuff I have to drive 20 minutes into The Dalles.....and I find it's just not worth the time.....so that's a big bonus....keeps me away from crap like that!....plus no more Taco Bell and food poisoning!...lol...

Joyce - honey, I am becoming very worried about you!!....i hope your doctor can help get everything straightened out for you.....please take good care of yourself, take it easy and get lots of rest....and do what your doc tells you!....I don't like it when my friends are so sick!....

Barbie - I am soooo jealous that you only have to do your PT exercises once a day!! You rock!!!...

Well, I should go for now.....yesterday when I spent most of the day crying I downloaded a whole bunch of self - help apps onto my tablet.....some of them are really hokey and not worth the data I used to download them, lol....so tonight I will have to uninstall them....some are really good though and I think I will keep them, especially the ones that have daily motivational quotes and such....if I can figure out how to copy them out of the apps I will share them with you all....one of them is a pain diary that I thought might be good for sharing what my pain is like everyday with my doctor when I see him.....another is a medical ID app that allows you to put in your conditions, your meds, your emergency contact info, your doc's info and a bunch of other stuff then puts it all into one of those square barcode things and it displays that on the lock screen of your phone or tablet so emergency responders can scan it and have all that info on hand right there....I thought that was an awesome idea so I downloaded it....Google Play has a lot of really neat Android apps....I also downloaded a Yoga app that is good for beginners and has several routines that you can shuffle through and use a different one for each day of the week....anyway, off to bed I go....time to check emails then to sleep....goodnight all.....

Sherry in "it's gonna be a lot warmer here tomorrow" Dufur
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Lenora - my heart goes out to you and your DH. I hope you can arrange to see your son.

Joyce - I live on Aleve as well. I skipped a day to have blood drawn, and was nearly immobile the next, so I understand at one level. Worried about you, and glad Charlie's stepping up.

JanetR - I have seen your before and after pictures before--and still marvel at them. The validation you're needing is absolutely necessary. The ex and moved about a year and a half after my surgery, and the compliments from others stopped, as of course the new people I was meeting in Illinois had never seen me at my highest weight. It was a struggle, honestly. It's been 11 years now since my bariatric surgery, and I kept one pair of jeans. When I'm feeling worst, I will drag that pair of 36w jeans out and compare them to the size 14s I wear now and have worn for years. It helps. A lot.

Am reading "Mini-Habits: Smaller Habits, Bigger Results," right now, and it's really helping with the writing, among other things. Thank you to everyone who noted it. It's pretty awesome to get back up on that train again.

Speaking of which, need to go do some of that.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in West Texas
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    lisa thanks for dropping the new book hint, mini habits: small habits, bigger results". I will have to check it out

Janet smart lady to remind yourself about where you've been. We all need to remember that!

This is the time of year where we do a lot of reflection and resolution setting (kind of the Super Bowl of trying to change our ways). But honestly ladies, we've been doing that every time we check in with each other, to suggest, support, vent, cry, swap recipes, reach out and the list goes on.

In short keep going, ask questions, find answers!

And walk past the store bought cookies! NYKAREN
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    NSVs for me today too! (I love hearing about all your successes and NSVS <3 ) Great going Sherry!
    I did 3 sets of 10 kettlebell swings for the first time in ages! (They aggravated my knee and my hip also complained. ) Today, no complaining hip :D and my knee did grind a bit, but I'm hoping it hasn't done anything horrible. We will see.
    My other NSV was checking my heart recovery rate on the monitor. I was amazed to see it was around the 40 mark. 20 is considered good, so I am AWESOME! :bigsmile:

OK, Lisa, now I'm going to do my memoir. :D The best book I read on habits, that got me back into regular writing mode, was LEVEL UP YOUR DAY. I do love a good improving book as NY KAREN has noted. :laugh:

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • lhannon062709
    Options
    Rock it, Heather! I'll post my progress here if you will. :) The Mini-Habits book has me determined to sit down each morning and write. In the spirit of the "Mini" part of that, am only making myself write 200 words. Anything over that is wonderful. In one year, that's 73,000 words, and a novel. Since I left the earlier message, I've written 1,073 words. :)

And now, because the gym opens up at 5:30, I'm going to get my husband's coffee started, and then I'm off to the gym. Mini-habits again, so I'm only promising ten laps--it's a small track, so that's maybe 3/4 mile. Anything over that will be awesome.

Also going to my writer's group tonight. There are three seriously annoying people there, but I've been letting them keep me away from people I dearly love. So, as my mentor there suggests, I don't have to critique their writing, I can simply "pass." And I will.

Baby steps... mini-changes are enough.
    Love y'all!
    Lisa in West Texas
  • MeredithDeVoe1
    MeredithDeVoe1 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hi! So glad to find this thread. I am 54 and after menopausing a few years ago I packed on 30 lbs (I was 183, the most I had ever been outside of pregnancy!!). I managed to lose 13, but have been stuck for about 2 years. I am trying to be positive and say I am "maintaining" (lol) although I would love to get back to 145 or so, which is pretty good for me. I recently decided to forget about weight and focus on building muscle instead. I am really encouraged that the first visible result was getting a waist, and next was that my belly is sagging a lot less. I have lost 1/2 inch from my waist as well; nothing to write home about, but it looks better and clothes fit better.

I am doing 20 minute HIIT workouts twice a week. I would like to work up to 3 times a week in 2017. On days I don't do HIIT, I do Yoga.

I struggle with chronic pain, IBS, and migraines. I was on hormone replacement until this year when the migraines increased tenfold in frequency. I have a lazy stomach and basically no metabolism. So for me, any progress is worth celebrating. I know of no women my age who have successfully changed their bodies the way I am hoping to, so I am glad to find this thread!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    Sherry~ may I suggest an app that I LOVE it is called the Calm app.. it is a meditation app and if you have headphones it is even more awesome.. there are 4-5 different scenes , my favorite is the beach .. and it has a 21 day guide to teach you to meditate... it is just a wonderful wonderful thing and its FREE.. oh sure you can buy the premium if you want .. but ill just stick with the free one..
    last night out to dinner with aunt and uncle then home..today is 100% humidity today .. but will find something to do.
  • lhannon062709
    Options
    Hi, Meredith, and welcome... there are a number of women your age here who have done exactly what you're hoping to do, so lots of good advice available.

Did my ten laps, only two of them walking, the rest were running like a turtle runs through peanut butter. :smiley: , plus 20 minutes on the elliptical, so definitely pleased with myself this morning. :blush:

Off to the showers, then get some work done on the t-shirt quilt. Will take pictures when I've made good progress...

Love y'all,
    Lisa in West Texas
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Lisa – Thank you! I hope we’ll be able to see DYS soon, too! It’s hard when you only get to see them twice (for DH, three) times a year. I was not prepared to watch DH cry like he did. He said that it was difficult to hold back his tears; but, did not want to upset either son if he did cry (in front of them). Tears are hard to watch when they are coming from your spouse or partner. I told him that I had had my cry on Saturday and that was why I was upset when he called. Nothing went right for me Saturday. I think everything just came to a ‘head’ for me; when I could not make that damn ‘security’ light to go off. DH asked me ‘if the door had been open when I tried to crank it’. I don’t remember; but, it could have been. I hope he decides to go back out there the middle of January and I hope I get to go with him. Even ‘if’ they spend the entire time hunting; at least I’d probably get to see DYS at night (late, but still). I’ll take anything at this point. If they leave the car with me, then I can come and go as I please. I want to go, please pray that things work out that I get to. Another thing that makes it difficult to ‘see him’ is that his wife’s ‘ex’ is a ‘jack-@$$’ when it comes to visitation with his daughter. They share custody so that over a year’s time they each get equal number of days with her.

Not raining; but, the weather is going to be ‘cold, cold, cold’ which is usual for this area of the State of Georgia. That will put off being able to paint ‘outside’; making it difficult to paint outside. I’m hoping this job he is trying to finish up is an inside job.

Sherry - Great NSV! I know when I went down to the next size; I had my clothes 'altered'; but, after that, when out I skinned my clothes the 'next' time; he could not alter them any more. So I drug out my Belk's card and did some shopping. First time in my life I had ever bought 'skinny' jeans or yoga pants. They really don't look or feel like 'skinny' jeans down; but, I will still wear them with the tops I bought. Never thought I would EVER buy those ankle boots (or even a pair of cowboy books); but, this year, I thought they were so ugly last year or two when they first came out.

NYKAREN - I've always set 'small' goals ... because it is easier for me to lose if I don't think about the total I need to lose. I had 60lbs, at least, to get back to where my BMI would fall within a 'normal' weight (for my age). I am so close to my goal, I can taste it; but, it seems harder and harder now that I am. I've put more 'real' food back into my diet and sometimes I find that I have 'tracked' what I think I will eat for the day.

Finding 'cold weather' exercises, means that I walk on my treadmill a lot and I've done a few kettlebell exercises with it. Ten reps, ten sets, ten pounds. That is more difficult to do; but, I stick with it. Getting outside when it is cold, just means my broken tailbone hurts like 'sum-o-witch'. I still wonder if I will lose this 'belly'. That is what I need to do in order for me to 'think' I am getting skinner - other than seeing my numbers go down. I'm finding it harder to drink enough water. I'm not very hungry during the day and then realize that I have not eaten anything. Today I will make some noodles and sautee the mushrooms I bought last week before I have to throw them out. A little 'hot sauce' and I will be good. Maybe not the best 'lunch' I will ever make. Need to get dear husband

Damn MFP is still locking up on me. GGRrrr! Now the 'dictionary' is not working, for me. So it doesn't matter if I proof-read what I have typed for the correct spelling of the words that it highlights.

Lenora
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Toni in Tennessee I had to chuckle at your boss's evaluation of your best attribute ("being genuine") differing from your self-perception. I learned a long time ago from a mentor how to put on my public/work "mask". It is necessary for me to wear my disguise to prevent burnout/compassion fatigue. I am an introvert, through and through. People think I am genuine and outgoing, but I am faking it. It's a big act. It has worked for 25 years. I avoid company parties like the plague. At family gatherings I often go find the kids and hang out with them. I can spot my grandson's telltale signs of needing to be alone. We are so alike in that regard.

Heather YumYum - Walnut and Pomegranate Sauce! Sounds delish! Would you serve it with poultry? Duck or goose, perhaps, because of the strong flavors?

Cheri Ditto what everyone else says - he is lucky to have found you - I know from meeting him he is a nice guy and from talking to you that you love the guy. You know, even those of us without Asperger's need a reminder sometimes of how our loved ones would like to have us show our love to them. (Not project our wishes onto them.)

In my case, my partner would like pretty costume jewelry, flowers, a nice meal, traveling, and celebrating holidays/birthdays on the actual day those events fall on. She also wants & needs for me to pay most of the bills, but doesn't view that as an act of love necessarily. I could care less about most of that except the nice meal and occasional travel. I am fine with our financial arrangement. I do want her to deal with repairmen, make the arrangements for our social engagements, and keep track of the dog supplies, changing batteries in their Invisible Fence collars, monthly medicines, and making vet appointments. I think she does a better job than I do recognizing & doing the things that make the other person feel loved.

Sue in WA Hoping your husband is feeling better and is eating again. Worrisome story. No wonder you are frustrated with him.

Janetr You are so lovely - at both weights - but your transformation is nothing short of amazing and inspiring. Thanks for posting.

Becca Love the 2011 pics of you and your fierce men. <3

DJ I had a dear friend who helped me getting my Mom's things ready for an estate sale. I will be eternally grateful to her. It was such a gift. Bless you, especially for helping at such a busy time of year.

Joyce So sorry about your worsened back pain. Can you use topical anti-inflammatories like Voltaren gel? Hope you get some answers and relief soon!

Lisa You touched on something that intrigues me, and that is why I spend time & effort on people or tasks or anything that is irritating or annoying to me. So much of it could be ignored, but I am a moth to the flame! Waste of time & effort. I would prefer to be a Tigger, but I tend to be an Eeyore. I was such a Tigger when I was a child...not sure what happened...I shall work on it. Carpe diem!

Meredith Welcome! We are really chatty...

Hugs to everyone who needs one.

Last night we had a fondue party with stepson and daughter-in-law. It was such fun, and we had lovely shrimp, scallops, steak, and veggies. Yummy! Today we will make a trip to Goodwill to donate the stuff that has been sucking the oxygen out of my car. It will be so great to have my "space" back again, have been carting it around for days! We are putting together some storage cabinets for the garage. It is coming along, and we work well together on tasks of that nature. The garage is a mess. Can't wait to reclaim the space. I am working only 5 days between now and the end of the year, planning some little projects and also going to see if the grandkids would like to spend some time over here playing with the dogs. Still have to wrap presents. We are going to have a family gathering Christmas Eve with Chinese take-out. Should be fun! I send cards to only a handful of people, those nearest and dearest, so it isn't such an onerous task. Less than 20 cards.

Karen in Virginia, enjoying a few days off t07152.gif
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Lenora ~ Did your DH and DS have luck with their hunting? Know you are glad to have DH home again.

Sherry ~ Congrats on your loss and on your good sense in handling a bad mood day. Glad you feel better.

Joyce ~ So sorry you are having so much illness and pray that you will get better.

My brother called at 6:30 this AM and said they were putting my mom in the hospital with a 104 fever. We are praying that they Lord will bring her home so she is out of pain and sorrow. We will all be sorry when He does, but it will be better for her.

Carol
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Carol I hope your mom will be freed painlessly to go on to the next great adventure. Sorry for you.

Karen
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    945076uyzon4w470.gif
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    c0121.gif
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    Carol - Thinking of you and your family. <3

I echo the concerns about Joyce. Hope you feel better soon. <3

Still haven't got our tree down from the loft, nor any dec's up. :* I wouldn't bother if it weren't for the grandchildren. Mind you, last time DGS said of our tree, "It's a bit little." :laugh:

Just completed the Duolingo Spanish course for the third time. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Happy Monday! Kids are already here, but busy with playdoh, so I just wanted to jump on and say "hello". All of the recipes look and sound amazing. I have copied and saved the ones posted and I will have to wait to try them until I get some of this weight off.
    Janet- I joined this thread last January so missed last year's posting of your transformation! Truly inspiring!
    Gayle and Joyce- hugs to both of you! You are in my thoughts as you encounter your challenges. <3
    Lisa- Yes! Tingling feet during work out! When that has happened to me, it is usually a shoe issue. I have a narrow foot and usually have my shoes tied too tight. Remember your feet may swell a bit while you work out! And I love your "turtle in peanut butter" analogy of running. That's how I run, too. Won't break a speed record, but it gets the job done!
    Carol- Keeping your mom, you and your family in my thoughts and prayers!
    Katla- I love your wreath donation idea! We must have been inspired by the same "greenery goddess". I made Christmas greenery boxes for my neighbor who moved out yesterday and my new neighbors who moved in today! I figured being this close to Christmas; they would be hard pressed to get decorations up, so I thought it would be a small gesture to make a house feel more like home.
    Lenora- Had a moment in Barnes and Noble this weekend, that made me think of you! I always pick out a small book as a stocking stuffer for my kids. Usually a humorous or weird fact type of thing that will make them laugh. There was one book titled "Butter My Butt And Call Me A Biscuit" and other southern sayings. I actually laughed out loud when I saw it. I considered getting it for my daughter, who just moved to Burleson TX last year; but I found another book called "How To Hug A Porcupine". I got that for her and her newly wed hubby; even considered that one for me and my hubby, because let's face it, we all have prickly porcupine moments.

Well, girls! I better go, before the play-doh starts flying! <3
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,116 Member
    Options
    <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options