Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Pip, I loved your pup picture. Puppies and kittens are so precious. Sometimes they stay the same when they grow up, sometimes not so. Our last cat, Adora was the kind who did not stay so nice. Melody is just right for us.

Sherry, I agree with Allie, take a deep breath and go out for a walk. Does anyone in the complex have a good idea of where they go for their computer needs? We have a senior council on aging that does things like that. They even have a wish tree for seniors and nice people buy them what they want for Christmas. We also have a small tech college that offers free computer for seniors.

Charlie is having less diarrhea and no vomiting today but still feels lousy. He is only drinking water. I tried to get him to eat some crackers and a light soup but no go. If he still isn't eating or drinking anything by late night, I will have Michelle drop off some Gatorade for him. He hates it, he says it has no taste but with his ileostomy he can't afford to go to long with this. And I sure can't take him to get any IV fluids.

I am really disappointed with my back today. I'm not as bad as yesterday but not as good as last night. I am up to date on all my medicines and trying to eat something even though it's not a good meal but I'm doing as good as I can. I wish we could train the cat. Oops, I need to take my afternoon B/P pill. I'm not used to taking a pill 3 times a day.

Joyce, Indiana
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Last paper of the year (for me) is out--Next day of work is next year! January 3, to be exact. Napped like a big dog this afternoon... such luxury. Left the boss in good shape to put out next week's paper. She hasn't built an entire paper since oh, May. She has my sympathy, but not enough to get back to work early. :)

Looking at a long-dead chicken thawing out with an extreme lack of any desire to actually touch the thing and make something out of it for dinner.

Other than that--life is pretty darned good.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in West Texas
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    <3 and Peace
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Sherry - I agree that you need to take some deep breaths and walk. If you are attempting to live off you SSD check; it's never been the plan for that to be 'all you can get help for'. Maybe your pride is getting in the way of asking for help. If I were single and had only my SSD check (my retirement check doesn't amount to much because I had to COBRA my health insurance) to pay for my drugs ... I'd be applying for Medicare and all the benefits of that ... basically low income housing, Medicaid for health issues, seeking out a Community Center or Senior Citizens Center and eating one of my meals there, staying for the entertainment such as Bingo or whatever.

There is a new Senior Citizens Center 'in town' where I went for 'art' class; but, it got to be too much trouble for a 2-hour class. If you were in an abusive relationship, was their a Women's Shelter you could have gone to? Are you without the things you had loved doing because of the getting out of that relationship? It would be a good place to start finding out what 'women who have left their homes, with children, and only the clothes they had on their backs have had to do.

It's harder on a woman trying to 'better herself' than it is on a man. Because men will do what they have to in order to get back on their feet. Women have more issues doing the same thing. A local church, maybe? You need to be somewhere so that someone can talk with and to you, someone who could physically hug you when you cry. A mental health clinic that charges based on your income. It's pretty obvious from your postings that you feel like you have been 'beaten down'. But, there are a multitude of things out there for you to get if you seek the help. Do NOT let your medication be something you stop (because you can't think of a way to pay for it). That is NOT a good idea. We all love you because you have become a part of this site; but, all we can do is read your posts and make suggestions. You are going to have to get up and start looking for help. The TV situation is just something you cannot do anything about; but, if I were in your position and had paid for a service that was 'impossible' ... I would be asking for a refund.

I don't know where Dufur, OR (I am assuming) is; but if it is in BF nowhere, then you are going to end up having to give up some of the things you have been accustomed to. It's like living out in the country for me. Close enough to town; but, I can't afford to drive there on a daily basis. Like you said, costs too much. And, then, if I am on a 'driving restriction' I have to plan my MD appointments around several other people's schedules - because my DH works 'in town'.

I just hope that you will seek out things that will be helpful to you. Prayers for you and Missy.

Lenora
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Sherry, Honey -

Can you get Netflix thru the internet? They have all kinds of stuff on Netflix... shows, movies... a bunch, bunch, bunch of stuff... that might keep you sane thru the winter, at least. Google it, Sugar. It won't be broadcast TV, but at least you can binge-watch your favorite shows and movies.

At my house, we have no broadcast TV... my DH downloads all of our entertainment off the internet - or he picks it up at the library... Since the only thing we were really watching was the morning news - and that was just for the traffic - it didn't make any sense to be paying the 95 bucks a month to the dish, people.

check out the local library - they may have a few things to keep you from losing your mind...

Good Luck!
  • IremiaRe
    Options
    Lenora -

I kinda like Leonora... lol... and I saw that awful suit Al was wearing... it looked red on the TV at the gym. I just figured he was doing Extreme Christmaswear.
  • IremiaRe
    Options
    Kate

Sorry your gym is not the most fab... I, personally, prefer the elliptical - but, I can see why you might want some variety.

((Hugs!!))

Re in TX
  • IremiaRe
    Options
    Melanie

AWSOME that you are finally going to get your house back... so sorry for all the drama, but I am very glad to hear you have it mostly resolved.

Merry Ho Ho!!

Re in TX
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Well my feet were cold in my house slippers so I put my socks and supportive New Balance with orthotics in them on and I walk better!!!! Who would have thunk!

Charlie on the other hand is one stubborn man. He is still having his diarrhea and it's like pulling teeth to make him take his anti -diarrhea pills. This is the second day he hasn't eaten, drinking only some water. I have told him that with my back that I can't take him to the ER if he gets dehydrated and needs IV fluids. Or even worse his electrolytes would go out of whack because of this diarrhea and him having an ileostomy, he could go into his a-fib again. So if I can't get him there, it's ambulance for him. But he is stubborn. His bag was about to pop off his belly and he wouldn't go empty it. After Thanksgiving and he stuffed himself so much, his ileostomy bag did pop off and made a big mess on the floor. So he said it popped off before and I got it cleaned up. Well this is pure diarrhea and would splatter all over the furniture.

Rant over, Joyce, Indiana
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies for all your input on my neighbor's situation. I think I shall call the DMV tomorrow and hopefully they can get her in for the fact that she doesn't have Oregon plates, and test her then. There has been already one almost fatality. Last summer, when she was driving, having her little cute dog Annabelle looking out the window, she fell out of the car. It was thank goodness, on a country road, but she turned around and got Annabelle back into the car, poor thing.

Yesterday I had helped her with putting the attachment BACK onto the vacuum, for shampooing her rug. The sad thing is it's an old vacuum, with the metal parts, and for me to hook it back on I had to use every ounce of strength I had, because I had to turn this dial which turned the hook on the inside, which grabbed onto the rubber band sort of thing. If I had to grunt and groan, I know she had to have been struggling for quite some time. The next project was connecting her "wireless headphones" to the TV so she can have it up loud but not disturb the neighbors. Her TV is Gynormious!!! So turning that around to look at plugs was a feat. Then I couldn't understand all the stuff she has plugged in, so I went and got the teenager. They are born knowing that sh^t... He did it, and now she has headphones. Her family is all in either California, or Bend. She never had children, just having a career being an Architect. I suppose that is why she is so fiercely independent. Funny, as we were organizing the TV, she was swearing like a sailor, then apologizing.... We were laughing, saying, we have heard it all before, no worries. She thanked me with a half of an apple pie and hugs....

Today was a long day, getting up at 6am to ride to Longview for sons DEP meeting. It was only 32' out, and fog was everywhere, so we took our time. We arrived there really early, so we checked out a GAMESTOP store. It has tee-shirts of computer games, games you can buy, plus the units to run them. Out of all the items my son lit up the most when he saw a Pokemon' puzzle that both him and his middle brother will put together. It was only $9 so not too bad. After they put it together, we will put glue on the back, mount it, and it will be his first picture that he can hang at a place besides his home. Step one of mentally leaving your home.... awww...

Came home, then did laundry..... I am beat. On the good side, I put little pigtails on each side, holding my hair that is getting so long. I dry it under, and when I lean over to brush my teeth, I can't see my toothbrush!

Heather~ I AM PROUD girl!!! You sing like there is nothing stopping ya! I sing opera in the car all the time.... What is funny is that people can see that I am singing, so I break into like I am talking on a wireless phone, putting my finger to my ear....

Becca
    Oregon

• IremiaRe
    Options
    Hello Super Sisters!

Under the heading of "Better late than never" the scale showed me that magical 220 this morning... if it sticks, tomorrow, I will change my ticker and claim victory on my goal to be 220 by Christmas! Not in time for the Challenge, mind you, but hey - its still making the weight by Christmas. I will be taking part in the next 24 week challenge, too - since - for whatever reason - being in the challenge makes me more dedicated to getting it right.

I think my current issue with snacking is due to Christmas depression... I am the definition of "Working Poor." If you look it up in the encyclopedia, you will see my picture and description. I have a full time job with an excellent wage - however - between doctor's bills, a new car loan, a new HVAC system and a general increase in the cost of living, I have NO spare dollars at the end of each month. I used to put something like $300 per month in savings - but, with the recent changes in my finances, not only has the amount in savings account gone WAY down, the amount being contributed has dwindled and has now pretty much disappeared... and I still have a fence to build, along with a bunch of other "not optional" projects for my albatross of a house.

Most of the time, I just get on with it - but at Christmas, it's pretty depressing. I am trying to focus on Becca's list - and that is helping.

But, I am allowing myself chocolate, as needed - so long as I log it. And I am not going to stress if I eat into my exercise calories - or even if I go over. I am just going to keep on chugging away on the elliptical to mitigate any potential damages and try to keep it together until the new year.

There is hope on the horizon - it's just a ways off, yet. DH turns 62 in May... so, he can begin collecting his Social Security. If I can keep from losing my mind, (or my house!) until then, I should be able to start putting some money into savings again, as well as being able to afford Taco Fridays that I don't have to cook, myself. So... only five or six more months of mind-numbing poverty to deal with... and then I can start chipping away at the visa bills and such. Getting rid of those would seriously help.

There are a myriad of reasons why we will start collecting his Social Security at the earliest opportunity... not the least of which is, we really need the money. But, there is also the fact that DH's family has longevity issues... the men in his family have none. ALL of his male relatives have died before they turned 65 - and his only goal has been to live longer than his Dad. He considers anything beyond 62 as "Bonus Years." Thankfully, he is taking better care of himself, exercising with me, daily, and trying to lose some weight - all of which will contribute to his Bonus Year bank.

I have another ten years before Social Security even begins to be a thought to concern myself with... and that is IF they haven't changed the rules and IF there is still Social Security to be had. So, yep.. we are in the "get it while you can" mindset on the Social Security.

Well, enough whining... I have a few more things to get done, here, before I can leave. On the bright side, I have taken a few moments to walk around the office for the last few days and, while I am not getting in my 8,000 steps every day, I will certainly increase my average from last week. I know that every step helps with losing weight.

If I can just hold my weight steady until the first of the year, I will be happy as a pig in mud. Anything I lose between now and then is just "Bonus." Heck, it might be the only one I get, this year... lol.

Re in "Can I Eat Chocolate for the Next Five Months?" TX
  • Charleen2
    Charleen2 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Janetr - Being a newbie myself, your earlier posting of before and after pics were new news to me. Yes!! You look like a million dollars today! The pictures are inspiring. I've a way to go yet, but darn if I can look that good at the end of my journey the sacrifice will be well worth it. Thank You!!

I'd like to toss out a tip of how I keep the bread and other munchies at bay this time of year. I try to pre-log what I think I will be eating for the day so I can see where I need to cut back or downsize in a meal. This keeps me aware of the calories before I eat them. So I make trade offs or change my planned meal menu once I see the bottom calorie count. It's much easier to do this before I eat it.

b0242.gif

The other thing I have been doing is putting an allocated portion of something on my plate in the kitchen and not bringing the whole bag, box or dish to the table. This seems to lessen my temptation to over eat my portion of something that is particularly tasty as the rest of it is still sitting in the kitchen and not inches away from my plate.

So far I have been treading water and haven't gained. I did lose a bit of the small weight gain I had while unable to exercise for the past 6 weeks. If I can come out of the holidays no worse than I am now I will consider it a great victory to will power.

Charleen in Colordao (We will make it!)
  • LeanneCutrara
    LeanneCutrara Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, my name is Leanne from Ontario Canada.

As soon as the Christmas holiday is done my focus is going to be write everything I bite and hit 10,000 steps 5 times a week.

Need to get back on track and lose the 20 pounds I have gained this year.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,732 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 12.07min, 14.5amph, 152mhr, 2.9mi= 142c
    fitbit- 146mhr, 101c
    SPIN- 41MIN, 76ar, 100aw, 120ahr, 152mhr 11-15g, 15.4mi = 372c
    fitbit- 151mhr, 281c
    ride gym 2 dome- 7.56min, 10.9amph, 147mhr, 1.4mi = 95c
    fitbit- 142mhr, 75c
    walk station 2 wk- 12.03min, 106mhr, 3.2amph, .6mi = 58c
    fitbit- 141mhr, 91c
    walk wk 2 sta- 8.32min, 3.4ap, 109mhr, .4mi = 51c
    fitbit- 141mhr, 91c
    ride dome 2 hm up Mst- 18.11min, 8amph, q149mhr, 2.4mi = 184c
    fitbit- 151mhr, 144c
    total cal 902
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Charleen wrote
    "Janetr - Being a newbie myself, your earlier posting of before and after pics were new news to me. Yes!! You look like a million dollars today! The pictures are inspiring. I've a way to go yet, but darn if I can look that good at the end of my journey the sacrifice will be well worth it. Thank You!!"

Thank you so much for your encouraging words. I may print that out and hang above my desk so when I want to start snacking at night, I can read it and remind myself that this is a life journey not a destination. Made me teary, I needed this tonight.

Janetr okc

• tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Such a busy season. I'm proud of myself for keeping up on your posts. Not able to comment much.
    Sherry - others have given some good advice. You're in my prayers.

Welcome new folks. This is a sweet place to be.

Love seeing pictures and hearing about y'all.

Toni in TN
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,993 Member
    Options
    1056287i3zmwzup2m.gifStats for today:
    13,000 steps
    135 minutes of dog walking
    40 minutes riding the exercise bike
    30 minutes doing physical therapy exercises (16 exercises---20 reps of each)
    line dance class

:) Lunch with the line dance class at our favorite Chinese restaurant....the waitress knows what most of us will order and who uses chopsticks...I brought home half of my broccoli with garlic sauce and brown rice and had it for dinner....I brought the soup home for Jake.

<3 Barbie from NW Washington
  • sherryminch
    sherryminch Posts: 168 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    This will be my last post to this thread and to MFP entirely....Pride???....I have no pride!!!!....to imply that I have not asked for help is an insult....let me set something straight....I currently live on long term disability insurance I PAID FOR OUT OF MY OWN POCKET, not SSD....I have applied for and receive both food stamps and medicaid....I have been on both since I became disabled and unable to work....I go to food banks regularly, at least I did in Portland, I haven't been able to find one in the area here yet but I am still trying to locate one....I am on the federal Lifeline Assistance program that helps pay for my cell phone....I do not qualify for Medicare yet as I DO NOT receive SSD yet....I even did my research and found a pro-bono lawyer out of Washington, DC to help me with my SSD case to make sure I apply for and get everything from the government that I am entitled to....I applied for and received assistance through various utility assistance programs for both natural gas bills and electric bills at the old house....I applied for and received rental assistance programs....I am on the waiting list that is 2 years long for Section 8 housing assistance....I currently see both a counselor and a psychiatrist at a good mental health clinic....I moved into this motor home not because I was abused but because my disability insurance is not enough to pay the rent on anything other than this because rent has gotten so unbelievably high in Oregon....and THAT is why I gave up all the stuff I loved, because I just don't have room in here for it....I don't just feel beat down, I HAVE BEEN BEAT DOWN, all of my life....both physically and mentally....I ran away from an abusive alcoholic drug addicted mother at the age of 13 and put myself into the foster care system and somehow got lucky and found a family that was willing to take me in and the woman who raised me the 5 years I was there was my only source of "maternal" love besides my grandmother and I no longer have either one in my life as they are both dead now....

To tell me to get up and go ask for help is unbelievable to me....I have always worked very hard for what I have and have always reached out for help....sometimes I get help, other times I don't.....if I have any emotion in my life it is shame and despair.....not pride!!

Allie and Joyce - I've taken my walk, I've taken my deep breaths, thought long and hard today about the decisions I need to make and have come up with a plan.....I am going to post my email address at the end of this post once I have read over what I have typed and signed off at the end....I really hope the two of you will copy it down and keep in touch....if not, that is OK, I understand....

The others who are on my friends list I hope you will copy it down as well and stay in touch....if not, I understand....

I am going to maintain my diet goals and continue my walks and keep losing weight....I owe it to myself to keep fighting to get to my goal, for my health and hopefully the reduction of pain in my back....if for nothing else...so I will still be posting my food and exercises, just not on MFP's website or app....everything is going to fitbit now....I will not be joining any forum there so unless you can find a way to search for me there and send me a private message I will not be available on it....I will only be reachable by email....or for those that have my actual P.O. Box address here I will be reachable that way as well.....

I have thrown away my Christmas tree and will never be doing the holidays again....it's just too much pain and stress on me....many of you just may not understand this but that is OK....I don't expect you to....all I can possibly say is try walking a mile in my shoes.....

For those of you who are saying prayers for me....just keep saying them....maybe God will answer you....I appreciate it very much....I need as much help as anyone is able to offer me...

I just want to say one last thing before I go....I have severe social anxiety problems and very severe trust issues, in fact I trust NO ONE....honestly it took a lot of personal work on myself to even start posting on this thread but I did so looking for help, once again, with motivation and support.....I've stepped out of my own personal bubble to try and make friends, to try and share my sense of humor, to share what knowledge I do have and to share with someone my thoughts and feelings....I chose this forum because I thought it would be easier for me here not being face to face where I am more nervous and anxious for several reasons....mainly because I tend to communicate better in written word.....and also because of my speech problem which tends to become a very emotional thing as I am ashamed of it....it took a lot for me to reach out and say hello....I'm not saying this because I want anybody to feel bad....I am telling you this because I really want you all to understand why I was even here....I have always been up front and honest with you all....

I appreciate all of you who have offered me love and support...you are very wonderful people....don't ever change.....and I hate to be this way, and I'm sure there are some of you who think I am overreacting....but when you have had the life I've had you developed a third instinctual response in addition to the typical flight or fight response....it's called self preservation response....it becomes instinctual and automatic....and that is where I am now....I think this is really what's best for me right now....it is a response that has served me well and helped me survive unspeakable things during the 50 years of my life....now I feel that I must rely on it again....so for now and the near future my personal life is now shut down to all but a few who are willing to stick with me and see this through....if you just can't bring yourself to do it, don't worry about it, I understand....now is not the time of year to do something like that....

Now I'm done....I've tried to say what I want to say the best way I know how....that's all I can do at this point....I have had to start over with nothing but the clothes on my back several times, I'm just a little glad that I have a little more than that this time....if that is pride, then so be it....I don't see it that way, I see it as a lot of luck and a little careful planning....but whatever....I hope you all have a wonderful holiday and get to spend the time you want in a way you want with your families and friends....

Sherry Minch, Dufur Oregon

sherryminch@gmail.com
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: Thanks for your good wishes for DH. The appointment with the eye doctor went well, and he's headed for surgery, but we don't know when it will be. :noway: The person who schedules surgeries will call us at some unspecified time and day to make the actual surgical appointment. Not thrilled with that part of the picture. The surgery itself is likely to be in January. Maybe. :grumble:

Sherry in Dufur: (((HUGS)))

This was the shortest day of the year. Tomorrow will be longer and there will be more light in it. YAY!!!!!!!!!!!

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

"Normally I'm quite normal . . ." The Gods Must be Crazy