WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2016

Options

Replies

• Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Merry Christmas everyone. Enjoy the day wherever you may be.

I would add some emoticons but they don't show up on my tablet. :(

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,294 Member
    Options
    We are watching "It's A Wonderful Life " <3 Just watched "We're going on a Bear Hunt" and cried. <3 We were checking it out for content for the kids. :D

Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Season's Greetings to all who celebrate this time of year!

Waiting on DH to get ready for church. This is the one day a year we ride together since I usually have to be there early. It drives me crazy to walk in right at 11:00, but it is my concession to Chistmas.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Lenora: DH would love your Oyster Stew tradition. Do you share your recipe? If so, put me on the list of people in line. :bigsmile:

KJLamore: "Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, Happy Kwanzaa, Happy Festivus!" Thank you for the good wishes and back-atcha! :heart:

Peach: Thanks for the hugs. :smiley:

Rita: I just copied your fudge recipe and saved it to my desktop. Thank you for a terrific Christmas gift.

Merry Christmas to all who celebrate and good wishes to all.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

graphics-christmas-trees-980702.gif
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    :) We just had a surprise visit from one of the women that Sasha and I walk with in the morning. She had taken a few days off walking because her son was visiting and she wanted to spend time baking cookies. She was at the door with a beautiful poinsettia and and a bag with homemade cookies and a greeting card. Now Jake has some cookies to eat since I don't bake anymore. The card was addressed to Jake and me and Sasha and Bernie so Jake gave the pets some of their own treats rather than cookies.

<3 Best wishes to all for happiness in whatever you do today.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,146 Member
    Options
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,294 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    We had a lovely, peaceful Christmas with wonderful food and great things to watch on the TV.
    Taking a quiet moment before the throng arrives tomorrow. DH washing up. <3

Hope that everyone's day went well. Love to you all.

Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Rosie – Thank you! I’m trying … but, I don’t expect for everybody to agree or believe it. Like they say, “You can’t make 100% of the people happy 100% of the time. But, I never have intended on my remarks to be taken as ‘insulting’. That usually happens because you really do not have the entire story (until it is too late). Hope you and yours are having a very Merry Christmas or Happy Hanukah!

This week, hopefully will be sunny and warm, I’m planning on going out and emptying my studio of everything Going through all the boxes and take back in just want I want to keep and trashing everything else. Way too much junk out there and it has becoming a ‘dumping zone’ and I don’t even have enough space around my easel to do anything. I like to know where all my supplies are; and, at the moment I cannot even get to the cabinet where most of them are. Louis uses it to also have a place to dry things that he has painted for clients and I need to make sure that it is at one end; rather down one side of the place.

Off now to make ‘my suggestions’ of what we will get for one another for the year (Christmas, Valentine’s Day, birthdays, anniversary, and any other day during the year when we would share or exchange gift(s) for. Hopefully, some of them will be done this next week, when hubby isn’t needed to be in someone’s house during the holidays painting their homes.

Katla – Sorry that your DD was so upset. I know my parents did not argue in front of us (at least not that much around both older sisters). They did more in front of me as the last child at home. My DBnL’s family would get around the dinner table and discuss ‘everything’ … gossip, weather, or even politics … so BnL was and still is pretty opinionated. The first time sister and BnL had a ‘tiff’ … sister cried and thought they were headed for ‘divorce court’. Louis and I ‘try’ not to go to sleep with an unresolved argument. Usually at some point in the night one of us will wake the other one and say, “I’m sorry for the way I handled myself during that argument; but, it will just have to be resolved later when we can both be calmer." If it is something that is a real issue. We did not hide our disagreements from our children; but, we also were very demonstrative in front of them as well. Still are; but, they don’t want to ‘hear some things’ … WTI; but, it is a ‘way to clear the house’ when we need to.

Sundays are our 'date day' so that ‘nobody’ comes over unannounced … we generally will take a nap in the afternoon or watch movies, and do not want to be disturbed, unless it is an emergency.

Louis brought home a small container of pecan Sandies … I don’t usually like a lot of sweets; but, I took the last 3 of them … Whoa!!!! I’m glad that he does not bring them home more often, now that I know how good they are.

Katla – Oyster Stew really doesn’t have any ‘measured’ contents; it has just been something we always had on Christmas Even 'late' supper. But, this is the way I made it last night.

INGREDIENTS:

Oysters and (Juice drained through mesh colander). This year I had 5 cups/containers because I had 5 adults that will actually eat them and I thought that surely be enough. They shrink pretty significantly once they are added to the milk. So I would suggest maybe using 1 ½ cups [container of oysters] per person. Children might eat the ‘soup’ with crumbled crackers, but not the oysters, until they ‘try’ them and 'acquire' the taste. They are basically getting the ‘taste’ because of the juice being added. Our middle granddaughter is very picky and she won't even 'try' it (because she thinks that 'raw' oysters are 'gross'). That just means more for the rest of us.

Milk (I used a gallon + about ½ quart) I use a regular boiler.
    [Something you might normally cook any type of soup in]

Salt – To taste; but, not too salty
    [When you use the Saltines, they will have additional salt on them]

Pepper – I just shake until I think I have added enough
    [Usually a nice layer of it on top of stew]; Stir

Butter – 1 stick of ‘real’ butter, not margarine
    [I used 2 sticks this year; but, that was way too much for the amount of oysters I cooked – and had to throw it out, since it was flavored when cooking them].

Sherry, cooking white wine, or any white wine
    [I prefer to just use any white wine I have on hand]

Milk - Gallon (or more, depending on ### of people being served).
    [A Gallon and a 1/2 quart was plenty enough for 5 adults and 2 children]. In fact we had a pretty good amount of the 'milk' left that we had to throw out. But, no oysters left over.

Cayenne Pepper (optional). While I love spicy food; some don’t, so I will just have Tabasco or Frank’s Hot Sauce on the table for those who want to ‘spice’ it up. Some people put in onions; but I don’t like onions because unless they are sautéed Vidalia onions, they tear my stomach up.

Saltine crackers – I buy two boxes – Original. When salting the milk, consider that the crackers will also add more salt, don’t over-salt milk, but, put in enough that you can taste the salt].

DIRECTIONS:

Melt butter in frying pan, then sauté the oysters in it until the edges curl. Pour in the drained juice and cook about 45 seconds to 1 minute. Stir occasionally so they don’t stick or burn. Set aside

Start heating the milk; on medium; but, do NOT allow it to boil, not even a little; stir continuously. Add oysters and drained juice, and a little of the melted butter (approximately 3/4th of it); continue stirring; but, don’t let it boil, not even just a little. Taste it for several times until it is ‘hot’ enough to eat. This will be just about the time you might start seeing it trying to form bubbles around the edge. AGAIN: Important, do NOT allow it to boil at all … as it will curdle and ruin it. Stir it continuously.

Pour in Sherry, Cooking wine, or any white wine you have on hand. I turn it up and pour about the same amount you would pour into a wine glass (approximately 3 – 4 ounces). Still stirring, still keeping it low enough that it does NOT boil.

Take off the heating element; and serve [oysters will be at the bottom, so you will have to dig down with your ladle]. Serve with Saltines. Some people just eat Saltines; personally I like to crumble mine up in the stew to make it thick. Eat and enjoy.

Old wives’ tale about ‘warm milk’ making kiddos sleepy … probably more the wine that is put in it. But, they will get sleepy. Calms them down – like a glass of wine does for most adults. It actually cooks out and is just the ‘flavor’ you get. But, this is also ‘optional’.

Estimate about 210 per cup. I love it, so I don't mind that I get double the caloric amount to add to my tracking.

I don’t worry about the darn calories – It’s CHRISTMAS! The crackers are probably what give it the ‘most’ calories.

Enjoy!

Lenora
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Katla - I added the 'milk' ingredient 2x; but, ignore one statement about the milk, I had just added a few notes to he 2nd one. A gallon of milk probably was enough for the 5 of us since Madison did not eat any (in any shape, form, or fashion). I had just forgotten how the oysters shrunk once added to milk. Sorry! Since I could not get it to cut that 2nd one out, I just left it; guess since I am posting this might be the issue. I'd figure 1 1/2 cups/containers for each person eating it.

Lenora
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Happy Holidays, my Sweet Sisters!

I have been working in the yard with my Hubby this morning - since there are only so many days that I am not at work during the daylight hours - and now he is napping until we head out for our Chinese Buffet.

I hope everyone is enjoying their holiday activities, whatever they may be.

Carol - If it's any comfort... your Mom gets to be with Jesus on his Birthday. I bet they are having a great party! ((Hugs!))

Peach, Love and Hugs for Everybody!

Re in TX
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone is enjoying their day as they wish!

I've taken the day off from my usual routine. We will be heading out in a few for Chinese (in traditional Jewish fashion on Christmas Day) with some new acquaintances. Had to convince the hubs to go but is onboard now. Otherwise it's jammies till we go and jammies when we return.

Cheri
    in very warm and windy College Station, TX
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,146 Member
    Options
    Carol- so sorry for your loss. (((Hugs)))

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    csofled wrote: »
    Hope everyone is enjoying their day as they wish!

I've taken the day off from my usual routine. We will be heading out in a few for Chinese (in traditional Jewish fashion on Christmas Day) with some new acquaintances. Had to convince the hubs to go but is onboard now. Otherwise it's jammies till we go and jammies when we return.

Cheri
    in very warm and windy College Station, TX

We went out for our Chinese meal at 11:30....the restaurant was packed by the time we left....a group from the local Jewish community goes at 6:PM...now it's time for a nap

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Merry Christmas cyber sisters. Hope everyone has had a blessed day. Charlie and I went over to my sister's house. That has always been our tradition since I always hosted the big family Christmas the week later. My BIL is active in a men's outreach group at church and is always making scrambled eggs and hashbrown casserole with bacon and sausage. Then my nephews wife made this cinnamon french toast casserole. It was all full of calories but good. What was best was getting out of the house and being with my family. My great nephew that goes to college down where DJ lives is home on college break. He used to be a teenager that didn't like that muuuushy stuff from Grandmas and Aunts. Now he readily gives big hugs and kisses. I wish my Mom was still alive, she would love it!

I talked to both my brothers today and around Thanksgiving time it was iffy if any of the young kids and their parents would be coming for Christmas. Now I find out everyone is coming except one. The brother that was teaching his young son a lesson and saying that if he came for Christmas, he had to find his own way and lodging. Now he is driving with them and staying in their room.

Joyce, optimistic in Indiana