WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2016

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,754 Member
    Options
    well ladies~ I think I have a perdicament....and dont know how to approach it..
    Think Tom might have a lady friend,caught wind of a text and it says will talk when you get home.. and I got the number and had my brother call it. a woman answered.. now what?
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,618 Member
    Options
    well ladies~ I think I have a perdicament....and dont know how to approach it..
    Think Tom might have a lady friend,caught wind of a text and it says will talk when you get home.. and I got the number and had my brother call it. a woman answered.. now what?

Ask him about it, straight up
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Lois ~ You look great.

Barbie ~ Get well quickly.

NY Karen ~ Sounds like you had a great time with family.

We had 10 for dinner. I didn't have to do anything but buy the meat and get out the dinner ware. DnL and Son did all the sides and grilled. Much easier than Thanksgiving.

Carol
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Boys were able to make it. We actually had a wet Christmas. It didn't totally melt all our snow.
    Mary hope the ice didn't get in the way of your Christmas plans. The weatherman said ice was a problem up by you.
    Enjoyed my time with my boy. I got DH a mini Keurig. He is learning to use it as I write. My car is my big present. Still haven't had a good day to take a picture.
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I did very well yesterday. I learned that my kids can cook a turkey just fine. No leftovers in my house, but I am okay with that.

Happy Boxing Day everyone

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Allie, so sorry. I agree with Pip, don't wait, ask him now while in FL so you can make hard decisions while you have some peace and less stress. Write down your plan in a locked journal of sorts so you can refer to it when dealing with all the stress when back in CT.

Rita from chilly CT
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Barbie – I’m sorry you got dizzy when you got up, sorrier that you got dizzy and fell. Glad that your DH took you to ER. I was having dizzy spells (still have them on occasion); MD finally Rx’d a medication to take to make it go away. To be taken as soon as I feel it coming on. A lot has to do with changing positions. My body just doesn’t respond quite as quickly for it to not be a problem. I’m learning to take my time getting up and spending more time on the side of the bed rather than just ‘jumping’ right up. Hope that it improves. The MD did not say that it was vertigo and that I needed to take the medication daily. But, they will usually perform an EKG on me, when I get dizzy there at his office.
    Neurologist wants me to keep a journal of my BP for 3 months. Taking it daily several times with notations of how I am feeling right before taking it. BP still goes up and down; but, not significantly. We’ve also talked about the tremors; but, that is something that could be helped somewhat; but, to try to alleviate them would take surgery. Nobody is going to operate on my brain unless I have a stroke or bleed. I will just do what I need to compensate for it. I don’t have Parkinson’s disease; just he tremors that are like them. Called Central Tremors.

Pip and Gloria – I could not play video either; but, going to FB did not make it run either. Oh well. I love playing Mexican Train; but, the instructions with mine seems not to make some things clear … so this summer on our “sister’s vacation” we Googled what was not clear; and, some were just “Lenora’s Rules” … we laughed all the time we played. “Put your train on; take it off. There was one time that I drew over 20 tiles total and still did not have the number to start my train, so we decided if that happened; that whenever one got a total of 20 tiles, then one of the others would give her a tile to start the original train and then she’d have to pull another tile to replace it. But, that was just to start it; not at any other time in the game. At the Women’s Retreat one of the ladies said that a player could only have 2 trains going at one time. We played it that the 4 trains could be played by anyone. Don’t know which is correct; but, it worked for us.

I’ll ask Michele from NChow they play it. This woman did not want to play with us, just sit there and tell us ‘how it is supposed to be played’. I played one night with only 1 other player; it is far more fun to have 3 – 8 playing. I’ve heard of the “rock ‘em; sock ‘em” game and that looks like a lot of fun, to get your frustrations out of the way. Never heard of Uno Attack.

Allie – How much do you want to hear the possible ‘ugly’ truth? I don’t know what to say, so I won’t say anything. That is something that only you ‘know in your heart’ … how much it could hurt. Lady friend back at home, or in FL? Either way … that is a call that only you can make. None of my business, sorry.

Pip – Funny! Marking his territory; and even funnier with the opening the door – was this the first time?

Whoo Hoo, it worked!!!!!

Lenora
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,384 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

Some quick info about me: I have been in Weightwatchers forever (on and off the wagon lots) and have been so frustrated with their new website rolled out a year ago, very expensive and lots of bugs for those of us using a PC. The “community” I was part of also went away then.

I am excited to have found MFP. I will be able to journal again which I love and connect with a community. Have been scanning some of the old posts.

I retired this summer…even tho I had a “sit down” job I could easily get over 6000 steps on the fitbit. When the weather was nice I was active walking every morning but now I find myself sitting a lot as does my DH who retired a few years ago. Trying to get walks in and hit the gym a couple days a week for the ladies circuit (like Curves) and time on the treadmill.

I was able to recently land a part-time casual help job at the county auditor’s office which I enjoy – gets me out of DH’s hair and back among people. Nice to go to a job that I don’t HAVE to go to for the insurance anymore.

I live in WA State- when I go for my neighborhood walks and the weather is clear, I see both Mt. Rainier and Mt. St. Helens. Very blessed!

Anyhow, I now have 10 extra pounds (at LEAST!) around my middle and what seems to be a perpetually upset tummy from eating way too much of the wrong thing for the past 6 months. I am lucky it’s not worse, doc has me on Nexium.

That’s the quick version. Gotta get our Schnoodle to the groomer today for a bath and little trim.

Have a good boxing day!

Lanette
    SW Washington State
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies. We had a wonderful Christmas with daughters, the BF and the baby. We spent the eve at our friends and had a delightful time. I'm at work now, the only one in the building other than a guy painting. Hope you all have a restful day. meg from Omaha
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Peach: Your son and his family look happy and healthy. Wonderful! :bigsmile:

Rori: I love the Christmas house in the snow. :smiley:

Pip: Keep the dog photos coming! I love your dogs. I love mine, too. I'm not sure whether I've posted his picture recently. I may look for one to share. :flowrforyou:

Lenora: Your oyster stew recipe looks great--and HUGE! You can feed a large crowd with that. The recipe looks similar to DH's recipe except I don't think he adds sherry or wine. I'll tell him about it. Thanks for sharing your recipe. I've saved it in my recipe folder. Thanks also for your explanation about proportions of milk. :flowerforyou:

Pip: I love the photos you share of your dogs, but this one with Santa is special. At our house, Santa Paws always brings the good dogs a Christmas treat. :wink:

Lois: Wow! You're transforming yourself & have made fabulous progress. WTG!!! :bigsmile:

Barbie: I'm so sorry for the acute labyrinthitus. I hope it goes away quickly, never to return. (((HUGS)))

Allie: (((HUGS))) You aren't alone. :flowerforyou:

Meg: Merry Christmas. It sounds like you had a great family time. :smiley:

I'll be headed off to Walmart early as I can. One of DGD's gifts from us came here by mistake. I'll send it off, but I don't like it and I want to send something else along with it.
    Have a great day!

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,146 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Margaret - the ice held off until the evening. It drizzled most of the day.Around 6 o'clock we got sleet then about 3" of snow at 9 o'clock we went out and DH plowed the driveway and I walked the yard with Shep. Have you had a chance to take a picture of your new car? Unless I missed it! I love mine! Thank you so very much!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    (((Allison)))
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies! Just now catching up with your posts.

Carol ... so very sorry to hear of your loss. May you be surrounded by God's comfort and peace.

Lois... your weight loss is significant and you look wonderful! Thank you for sharing your photos!

Allie ... hugs ...

Barbie ... sorry your day was spent in the ER and feeling ill ... hope the medication helps ... inner ear disturbances are awful!

Although our weekend was just the four of us ... my husband and my two sons .. I am exhausted. I made ridiculously bad food choices and am feeling it this morning ... a sugar hangover! Also very disappointed in my dinner last night. Bought a 65.00 prime rib roast and it was not very good ... not nearly enough marbling ... in fact none at all ... and it ended up being tough. Will slice what's left into thin sandwich meat and won't use that meat vendor again.

Karen ... liked what you said .. "didn't count calories, but blessings." Lovely and the most important part of the holidays to be certain.

We awakened this morning to see one of our 60 foot spruce trees uprooted and getting ready to fall on our electric power lines. So a call this morning to the electric company and a tree removal man ... waiting for both to arrive and see what this will cost us ...

NSV ... one of my goals for December was to wear a sweater I purchased a little too small early in the month for Christmas ... which I did! It fit very nicely. Now to get back to regular eating so it will continue to fit!

Is anyone besides me craving a salad??

Beth near Buffalo

• pipcd34
    Options
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    Lanette - I, too, went to WW (when their 'point' system was being used) and gaining more and more. When they changed the point system again; only more frustrating sitting in the group. The only time I won something was when they remembered to have a raffle. Generally, it is almost like my name's been removed before happening. I've tried losing with the MD (my OB) handing me a folder with names of things in each of the food groups. After going to my son's wedding and having to buy a dress in a larger size (one I thought I would never get so big to wear) ... I cried and cried. Then I had another appointment and he suggested, and I balked about the weight loss program they had at their office. It has been 'expensive' because my weight is and has been coming off nor more than 2 1/2 lbs at a time (every 2 weeks). He actually 'ordered' me into it; and, Louis (husband) said that we'd find a way to pay for it. The first 2 weeks I was starving! But, after that my body got used to the much lower calorie intake. The first time I got weighed-in ... I had lost 7lbs. Right now I weigh about 157+/-lbs, and I am so close to my goal of 145lbs. I'm having a hard time to not overeat. I usually pre-track my food and water; then go back in and correct things sometimes.

Welcome to the site, hope you will enjoy it. Just make sure you bookmark the page (clicking on the outline of star at the upper right-hand corner of the posting area. Then all you have to do is click on the gray star between the bell and gear ... then a drop down screen will show up and it will take you back to your last post. Sometimes a lot of us are posting at the same time; so I usually go back about 5 posts from my last one to make sure I have not missed something.

On the last day of the month (most of the time) or the 1st day of the next; Barbiecat will post a link to go to which will be the current month, then you will have to click on the outline of the star to bookmark it again. We all talk about various subjects, and since this is really a site for women 50+ we'll welcome anyone. I think we discourage men, with all our women's chatter, they don't seem to stay. We try to encourage and support, we'll listen to you about DH (something that means "dear" husbands, sometimes it means "damn" husband. We talk about our health, our goals, our exercise, just about anything. Come often, post often so we can get to know you. The more you share with us, the more you'll get to know us. We try NOT to talk 'politics' or 'religious ideologies since this is a world-wild app; and it is just better that we 'try not' to do so. Sometimes we just find that we do have to discuss something ... but if you want to address someone personally, do it through a PM. You'd click on the envelop at the top to do so; but, you first have to send a 'friend request' by clicking on the 'person icon' to do so.

Some of us put up a word processing program and make our remarks there, then cut and paste it to the site, just make sure you are at the very end before you post it. You cannot go back a page, without 'posting' it first or you will lose your post. Sometimes it just won't allow you to post (that is usually because too many others are posting at the same time). Just wait a few minutes and try again. I use the 2 page side-by-side method; and, if I cannot post at the time; I go back and paste what I have cut to paste here and paste it back to the WPP. Sometimes the site will just freeze up and you just have to either post your remarks to the WPP (or I have sometimes found that I just have to "X" out of the program and immediate come back to it. If I do that (without logging out first), I generally come right back to where I could cut and paste my comments to it and it will usually go ahead and let you post.

If you have any questions, post them, you will get ideas about how to do sometime and then you can take it all and figure out what works best for you. Welcome!

Lenora
    (GRITSandSLUTS)
    Dawson, GA (SWGA) ... looking like it might be a nice day (or it might get a little cloudy)
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    My luck did change with the raffles ... at the Women's Retreat I went to back in early November - I won a prize all 3 days. A pair of earrings, a journal, and a necklace with a cross on it.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,146 Member
    Options
    Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    GobletSquats- 3x5x30
    Russian Kettlebell swing- 10x10x30

Walking outside in deep snow
    1 1/2 hours
    I'm going by time because my iPhone doesn't log steps correctly when I'm walking our property.

My DH has become my workout partner! He just asked if he could start doing it with me. I will just have to get up really early with him. I can always go back to sleep!

<3

Mary from Minnesota