The middle agers group. (Upper 30s,40s & 50ish folks)

Options

Replies

• slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,452 Member
    Options
    Hey, can I join in?! I see a couple of familiar "faces"/names on here. I'm at the upper end of this group (55) . . . so saying hi from the Midwest (nowhere near the beach/ocean :( ) and hoping you are all having a great weekend!

Nope, not even close! Here is my first post (in this thread). I've been on MFP since 2012.

And it's lovely to see you *smooch*

If you send people pm and they aren't friends or you've never spoken before theres a weird glitch that means they may not see it. If by chance they send you one later on, it somehow closes the loop.
  • beachgal0626
    beachgal0626 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Ah, I see! Thanks for the tip, Jo! How have you been these days?!
  • slimgirljo15
    Options
    Ah, I see! Thanks for the tip, Jo! How have you been these days?!

I've been pretty good, doing a lot of traveling and settling into the winter place. How've ya been?
  • beachgal0626
    Options
    Good! Been slowly getting back to a good exercise routine after "slacking" for a bit. Would like to get back to the gym 4-5 x a week. I'm getting there! Do you go to this winter place every year?
  • slimgirljo15
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Good! Been slowly getting back to a good exercise routine after "slacking" for a bit. Would like to get back to the gym 4-5 x a week. I'm getting there! Do you go to this winter place every year?

Thats great you're getting back into it.. I was slacking too for a bit..
    Yep 2400km every year then head back south about November. Whilst the tropical north winters are awesome the summers are wayyyy too steamy for me. I prefer dry heat for summer. Still gets hot in New South Wales for summer , 45c plus but I find it way more bearable.
  • beachgal0626
    Options

Yep 2400km every year then head back south about November. Whilst the tropical north winters are awesome the summers are wayyyy too steamy for me. I prefer dry heat for summer. Still gets hot in New South Wales for summer , 45c plus but I find it way more bearable.

I can understand that! It's been hotter than usual where I live for this early in June. This gal is now heading to bed as morning/work comes way too quickly! Good night/morning, Jo and good night to all!
  • slimgirljo15
    Options

I can understand that! It's been hotter than usual where I live for this early in June. This gal is now heading to bed as morning/work comes way too quickly! Good night/morning, Jo and good night to all!

Goodnight :)
  • TomFit18
    TomFit18 Posts: 2,585 Member
    Options
    Good morning peeps!! The weekend is around the corner!
  • Ralphone
    Ralphone Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    good morning welcome to Friday Junior. Let's get today done. the real Friday is waiting on Deck.
  • allisonlane161
    allisonlane161 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Good morning from semi-sunny NJ. Today, I have a new personal record! 3 hours to get to work, which is 2.5 hours longer than usual, sitting on a shut-down highway. Luckily, I have my breakfast/snack/lunch/snack packed everyday (which I dug into) and my Body Sculpting Bible with me, which I read. NJ Traffic and You. Perfect Together. The new state motto. Carpe Diem!
  • dblbbl88
    dblbbl88 Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Good morning all you beautiful people!! I hope you rock today!!
  • CindyLouWhoinWhoville
    CindyLouWhoinWhoville Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday Eve everyone. Make it a great day. Remember, we all have choices, choose wisely. :)
  • kristingjertsen
    kristingjertsen Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Feeling a bit frustrated this morning. I switched our family over to a heathier diet a few weeks ago after several family members were diagnosed with extreme obesity and related health issues (no real surprise to me; I have been encouraging them to adopt healthier behaviors for a long time). Doctor bluntly told one of them to get bariatric surgery immediately due to age, health problems, and 15 plus year history of morbid obesity. If family member refused, then a 3 month test of a strict low carb diet, no sweets, no soda, and daily exercise were the recommendation. The low carb diet lasted less than 2 weeks before returning to the same eating style. Brought soda back into the house, ate a half gallon of ice cream last night, and is eating out and binging on high fat, high calorie foods. I am focused on keeping the other juvenile family member on track with correct portion sizes and healthier options and exercise 4-5 days per week. Intellectually, I understand that I am not responsible for the eating and exercise habits of an adult so I am trying to stay out of it. Underneath, I am mad and sad that the adult does not have the wisdom or self-restraint to take even the most basic steps to improve his quality of life. Thank you for letting me vent. I don't think I will have much success in changing deeply entrenched behaviors, but I am not looking forward to the worsening health problems that lie ahead.
  • allisonlane161
    allisonlane161 Posts: 269 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    ...Underneath, I am mad and sad that the adult does not have the wisdom or self-restraint to take even the most basic steps to improve his quality of life.

First, I am sorry for how this affects you and the whole household. It is good to vent and try to take good care of yourself. One thing I would like to add is try to look at morbid obesity as being far more than the person not having the wisdom or self restraint to improve the quality of life. I believe it is way more than that, and for the morbidly obese, there is a hunger there...a literal empty stomach hunger...that is probably deafening. And you are right, much of it is behavioral--or at least started out that way, but there is a physical component to all of that. At this point, bariatric surgery may be the best bet, but of course that's not guaranteed that those behavioral issues that started this aren't still going to pop up. I feel for you. Watching someone in your house suffer must be so hard for everyone.

• AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Happy almost Thursday. I'm tired. Hope you all are having a great day
  • VirgoGirl1970
    VirgoGirl1970 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Feeling a bit frustrated this morning. I switched our family over to a heathier diet a few weeks ago after several family members were diagnosed with extreme obesity and related health issues (no real surprise to me; I have been encouraging them to adopt healthier behaviors for a long time). Doctor bluntly told one of them to get bariatric surgery immediately due to age, health problems, and 15 plus year history of morbid obesity. If family member refused, then a 3 month test of a strict low carb diet, no sweets, no soda, and daily exercise were the recommendation. The low carb diet lasted less than 2 weeks before returning to the same eating style. Brought soda back into the house, ate a half gallon of ice cream last night, and is eating out and binging on high fat, high calorie foods. I am focused on keeping the other juvenile family member on track with correct portion sizes and healthier options and exercise 4-5 days per week. Intellectually, I understand that I am not responsible for the eating and exercise habits of an adult so I am trying to stay out of it. Underneath, I am mad and sad that the adult does not have the wisdom or self-restraint to take even the most basic steps to improve his quality of life. Thank you for letting me vent. I don't think I will have much success in changing deeply entrenched behaviors, but I am not looking forward to the worsening health problems that lie ahead.

I feel for you!! I work in health care and I have dealt with morbid obesity and it is tough!! You can’t force someone to do what they aren’t mentally prepared to do. Good for you for not being the enabler! Keep working on the young one and keep showing healthy choices and options in your life. I think some counselling is required here for the whole family there may be an emotional element here. Please keep us posted!!! Take a big breath and take it one day at a time!
  • Drunkeninja
    Drunkeninja Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!! Feel free to add me. Been using MFP for a while. First time posting.
  • TomFit18
    Options
    It's almost Friday soon peeps!
  • TomFit18
    Options
    Quiet in here...lol1 Good morning peeps!
  • Ralphone
    Ralphone Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the real deal the heavy hitter it's Friday. Let''s all have a good Friday and get themy work outs in. Have a good weekend.