The middle agers group. (Upper 30s,40s & 50ish folks)

Options

Replies

• Ralphone
    Ralphone Posts: 1,836 Member
    Options
    Welcome to Friday Jr. Hope everyone ha's a great day. Get that workout in and eat well. B)
  • dkjk1105
    dkjk1105 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Morning M'agers (even the 31 year olds :)), have a great day. Friday's almost here!
  • TomFit18
    TomFit18 Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Good morning peeps...have a great Thursday!
  • TomFit18
    TomFit18 Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Ironlady70 wrote: »
    48 almost 49 and signed up for my first olympic lifting class at a crossfit box .... am I nuts ??

No!
  • Anna022119
    Anna022119 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    TomFit18 wrote: »
    Good morning peeps...have a great Thursday!

Morning all 👋
  • Anna022119
    Anna022119 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    dkjk1105 wrote: »
    Morning M'agers (even the 31 year olds :)), have a great day. Friday's almost here!

Morning 👋
  • dragonghost
    dragonghost Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday have a great day an keep up the great progress your making at changing your life one day at a time for the better.
  • runnergirl089
    runnergirl089 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'll be 47 soon. I run and do strength training. My body is betraying me though. My running pace is slowing and I'm getting injuries I've never had before (e g. tennis elbow). Hoping to learn how other people are adjusting.
  • GrazerMcK
    GrazerMcK Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Feel free to send a friend request my way :)
  • Cardioguy81
    Cardioguy81 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'll be 47 soon. I run and do strength training. My body is betraying me though. My running pace is slowing and I'm getting injuries I've never had before (e g. tennis elbow). Hoping to learn how other people are adjusting.

Im 36 and after every run/workout I make an orange/banana/yogurt smoothie and add a half tsp of turmeric powder, I tell you I've been doing it for the last 2 months and I barely use Motrin anymore. I ran a total of 95.5 miles in July just to give you an idea of how much running im doing. You may want to invest in some good shoes, I can tell when I need new shoes because my pace slows, knees and hips hurt etc...i tend to toss the shoes 250-300 miles.
  • spetty0929
    spetty0929 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just turned 46. The struggle is real! Every year I have to work out harder and eat less! Y’all can add me!
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options

I go to see my physio guy a lot. haha
    Seems injuries take longer to heal these days but that won't stop me just alter my plans a bit
  • runnergirl089
    Options

AliNouveau wrote: »
    Seems injuries take longer to heal these days but that won't stop me just alter my plans a bit

Yeah I see a chiropractor for adjustments when my lower back starts feeling tight. That seems to prevent any lower back issues that would lay me out for days. I don't want to stop either!
  • allisonlane161
    allisonlane161 Posts: 269 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

56 here and same is happening to me with the injuries. Just traded in iron for a yoga mat for the next few months. Cardio (running and some other stuff on occasion) and some overall body work strengthening in classes, but going to focus on flexibility for the next few months.
  • AliNouveau
    Options

Yeah I see a chiropractor for adjustments when my lower back starts feeling tight. That seems to prevent any lower back issues that would lay me out for days. I don't want to stop either!

do you stretch it? I do the laying on the floor knees to chest ones. I had a back flare up in March it was the worst in years I could barely walk trying to prevent that again
  • michelleRKdavidson
    michelleRKdavidson Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I’m 45 and completely understand. I walk/run and do Bodypump and the occasional stretch class.
    Unfortunately I feel like it does take a little longer for our bodies to recover than when we were in our 20s. I can only speak for myself but I try to listen to my body. I very slowly add weight to my workouts. And if I hurt after I go up (not just being sore) then I might drop back down on some things and try it again after a couple of weeks. And when I walk/run I probably walk more than run. I have found I can walk at a pretty good speed and get a really good workout and it is not as hard on my knees. For me it is about making sure I don’t injure myself so I can keep working out.
    I also take vitamins. Some don’t like to take them some do. But as I have gotten older I find that they help me. It might take some research and time but you might find the right combination that helps your body. I asked friends and then also just tried to research online. Here is what I take; a Bcomplex to help with my metabolism, vitamin D3 and C for keeping my immune system up, L-Lysine for tissue repair and an amino acid for muscle and body recovery.
    The last two things are the two I struggle the most with but everything I read really stresses it. Plenty of water and getting enough sleep/rest. When I get my water in everyday I feel so much better. And I feel like I get a better workout too.
    And talk to your general practitioner too. If something just doesn’t seem to get better after a few weeks make sure you have it looked at. You would rather be out for a couple of weeks resting than out for a long time because you seriously injured yourself.
    Sorry this response was so long but just know the struggle is real. LOL! I hope some of this helps you. Have a great day and keep up the GRIND.

• runnergirl089
    Options
    do you stretch it? I do the laying on the floor knees to chest ones. I had a back flare up in March it was the worst in years I could barely walk trying to prevent that again

Sounds like what I was going through. I do that stretch - each knee individually, then both, then supine twists (I think this helps me the most). It seems like stretching is getting just as long as the workouts!
  • AliNouveau
    Options

Sounds like what I was going through. I do that stretch - each knee individually, then both, then supine twists (I think this helps me the most). It seems like stretching is getting just as long as the workouts!

Hey it's better than the alternative right?
  • neskapolita1978
    neskapolita1978 Posts: 33 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Hi I'm 39 and will be 40 in two weeks. I've got well over 100 pounds to lose. As possibly the very last member of Generation X (my two minute younger twin considers herself the first Millennial) I'm also really cynical so motivational phrases like "journey" and "lifestyle change" don't sit well with me, and I don't fit in many places where people are trying to improve themselves. But I am making an earnest effort to eat better and move more so add me if you want. I'll be encouraging but not fake about it