Long exercise purely to eat more?

Replies

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,745 Member
    It's getting up to +15C here just now (Scotland). It's absurd. We want snow!
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    -10C (-20 with the wind chill) here in Minnesota. And 4 - 7 inches of the white stuff overnight.

My Labrador retriever is having a blast with his new snow boots.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    tomteboda wrote: »
    -10C (-20 with the wind chill) here in Minnesota. And 4 - 7 inches of the white stuff overnight.

I'm convinced my labrador has a cat in his pedigree. He hates the cold and spends the winter glued to the heater. He actually pulls his duvet over himself for the night if we forget to tuck him in. It doesn't even get that cold here... Cold as in -5 to 10C. at night
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    She's lucky she's cute.

I've got one of those :)

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »

But keep in mind that Canada isn't always cold.

Winnipeg (where I lived for 13 years) might hit -40C in the winter, but could hit +40C in the summer. :)

Living here in Tasmania now, the climate is a lot more consistent (+5C in winter and +20C in summer) ... and I really miss the +40C days. But not so much the -40C days.

Born in Winnipeg and ice fished as a kid at -40. Can't do those temps anymore. Now in central BC where it does not get that cold. ~-10 now and about the worst I see is -20. But it can get very hot in the summer.

Great wine area though.

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I dont know how you guys manage in winter! The coldest it gets here during the day in winter would be around 12C (53F), and we all walk around shivering looking like Rudolph lol It's going to a balmy 30 (86F) today :tongue:

-25C here right now (ask me how I know), warmest it's been all week. :angry:

Ugh.

My family is all in the midwest, but I was born and lived in Miami until age 5. When I was just turned 3 my parents brought me to my grandparents and were all excited to show me my first white Christmas. When they took me out in the snow I started crying.

I think that's a perfectly reasonable reaction still. ;-) Yet for some reason as an adult I have lived in northern Massachusetts, Michigan, and Chicago, sigh.

Not -25C here, though, so there's that! ;-)

I felt that way every single winter in Canada until 2009 ... when I moved to Australia. :)

While I would like to move back to Canada at some point, I think I'd have to be really selective where I'd go.

Whenever i think of freezing weather i automatically think of Antarctica..... and Canada :lol:

Winnipeg (where I lived for 13 years) might hit -40C in the winter, but could hit +40C in the summer. :)

Living here in Tasmania now, the climate is a lot more consistent (+5C in winter and +20C in summer) ... and I really miss the +40C days. But not so much the -40C days.

That climate is Tasmania sounds perfect to me. You can go outdoors all year. Lovely!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,447 Member
    I dont know how you guys manage in winter! The coldest it gets here during the day in winter would be around 12C (53F), and we all walk around shivering looking like Rudolph lol It's going to a balmy 30 (86F) today :tongue:

Ugh.

My family is all in the midwest, but I was born and lived in Miami until age 5. When I was just turned 3 my parents brought me to my grandparents and were all excited to show me my first white Christmas. When they took me out in the snow I started crying.

I think that's a perfectly reasonable reaction still. ;-) Yet for some reason as an adult I have lived in northern Massachusetts, Michigan, and Chicago, sigh.

I felt that way every single winter in Canada until 2009 ... when I moved to Australia. :)

While I would like to move back to Canada at some point, I think I'd have to be really selective where I'd go.

Whenever i think of freezing weather i automatically think of Antarctica..... and Canada :lol:

That climate is Tasmania sounds perfect to me. You can go outdoors all year. Lovely!

You can go outdoors all year ... if you've got good wind and rain protection. :)

Over the last year, we've had record breaking rainfalls ... it just seems to rain all the time ... and so much wind. I'm a cyclist and thought I had escaped the wind when I left Winnipeg ... nope. I think it's actually worse here.

We're thinking Queensland sounds appealing.

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member

Ugh.

You can go outdoors all year ... if you've got good wind and rain protection. :)

Over the last year, we've had record breaking rainfalls ... it just seems to rain all the time ... and so much wind. I'm a cyclist and thought I had escaped the wind when I left Winnipeg ... nope. I think it's actually worse here.

We're thinking Queensland sounds appealing.

Oh, that's a deal breaker.

Isn't Queensland really hot? From what you were saying about missing the 40C temperatures, it doesn't sound like that will bother you much, though.

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    tomteboda wrote: »

I'm hearing another 8-10 Friday. My neightbor's silver lab was having a blast yesterday and my kids were outside in the snow all day after hockey practice. It's perfect weather for getting the rink going in the backyard. I heard overnight air temps in the -26C range all week.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    its the only reason I started walking. now I walk everywhere i can and rarely eat back or log the walks. yesterday i walked 15 miles and didn't even think about it.
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    I don't think my approach to this was as extreme as yours but when I was really losing steadily in the first half of 2016 I was VERY aware of the extra calories afforded by exercise. I usually tried to ensure 2-300 extra calories through exercise and I found it was hugely helpful then to maintain a net 1200 calorie intake.
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    ModernRock wrote: »
    I totally get your point, but much in life is a matter of perspective and motivation. You really can't go wrong with your argument as any movement beyond sedentary could be argued as moving more to eat more. The distinction is the motivation behind the activity vis-à-vis sustainability and overall wellness.

Sustainability is over-rated in this case. People should adapt to their current circumstance, and continue to do so in the future. Nobody goes around giving the advice to quit your job because you'll have to retire some day.

Your retirement analogy misses my point. Try this one instead:. Somebody working extra shifts to support the lifestyle to which they've grown accustomed might do well to learn how to live within their future means in retirement. If somebody already knows how, or never plans to retire, or has some other resources to rely on (savings, family), then the advice is admittedly less useful.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    I think one problem that I see (at least IMO) is that I believe that there are some of us that once we lose the weight...we stop exercising because we no longer need the extra calorie burn to eat more. Then what happens...we gain the weight back and have to repeat the cycle.

I think for me...instead of adjusting the exercise to fit my food desires...I need to learn to adjust the eating to fit my activity level.

Why would anyone stop having fun once they reach their goal weight? I'm trying to imagine a day when somebody tells me I'm not allowed to go for bike rides anymore because I'm too skinny. It's a very sad thought. :cry:

A little more than a year ago I got hit by a car while I was doing hill repeats. I couldn't leave the hospital until the next day, couldn't walk for a week, and couldn't get back on a bike for almost three months. Yet I continued to lose weight through that period, just like I did before and after, when I exercised more.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    I totally get your point, but much in life is a matter of perspective and motivation. You really can't go wrong with your argument as any movement beyond sedentary could be argued as moving more to eat more. The distinction is the motivation behind the activity vis-à-vis sustainability and overall wellness.

Sustainability is over-rated in this case. People should adapt to their current circumstance, and continue to do so in the future. Nobody goes around giving the advice to quit your job because you'll have to retire some day.

Your retirement analogy misses my point. Try this one instead:. Somebody working extra shifts to support the lifestyle to which they've grown accustomed might do well to learn how to live within their future means in retirement. If somebody already knows how, or never plans to retire, or has some other resources to rely on (savings, family), then the advice is admittedly less useful.

The problem with analogies is that things aren't analogous. Retirement funds change value over time and benefit from compound interest; calories don't.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    I think one problem that I see (at least IMO) is that I believe that there are some of us that once we lose the weight...we stop exercising because we no longer need the extra calorie burn to eat more. Then what happens...we gain the weight back and have to repeat the cycle.

I think for me...instead of adjusting the exercise to fit my food desires...I need to learn to adjust the eating to fit my activity level.

Why would anyone stop having fun once they reach their goal weight? I'm trying to imagine a day when somebody tells me I'm not allowed to go for bike rides anymore because I'm too skinny. It's a very sad thought. :cry:

A little more than a year ago I got hit by a car while I was doing hill repeats. I couldn't leave the hospital until the next day, couldn't walk for a week, and couldn't get back on a bike for almost three months. Yet I continued to lose weight through that period, just like I did before and after, when I exercised more.

I guess for many people exercise isnt fun, they do it because they think they have to, to lose weight or they exercise to be able to eat more.

Ever been to the gym and seen the miserable expression on some gym goers faces, then watch them stampede to the exit the second their session/class is over?
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,745 Member

I don't understand what it is you are recommending by the "live within their future means" analogy. Are you saying we should eat less, and do less exercise? Or are you saying we should still do the exercise, but undereat?

Neither of these seems healthy.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    My mum is nearly 77 and she walks her butt off nearly everyday. She walks up and down steep hills that I hate and even struggle with! I'm glad she didnt roll over and get ready to die just because she's not young and sprightly anymore...
  • ModernRock

I don't understand what it is you are recommending by the "live within their future means" analogy. Are you saying we should eat less, and do less exercise? Or are you saying we should still do the exercise, but undereat?

Neither. It's nothing to do with undereating, starving, developing new eating disorders, or any other thing you read into it. My only point is that many people struggle to maintain weight loss because they never address the underlying issues with their eating habits. Instead, they use exercise PURELY (see title of thread) to create a deficit and maintain.

The recommendation I made was for those who exercise PURELY to make up for over-eating to see if they have the habits and knowledge to maintain their loss when exercise (or as much exercise) isn't an option. Its not a lifelong plan and doesn't involve starving or even giving up activities motivated by fun or fitness.

If exercising regularly PURELY for the sake of eating more doesn't apply to you, and you already know you can adjust your intake up and down as necessary, then the suggestion really doesn't apply to you.
  • ModernRock

It should be be pointed out that maintenance does involve being accustomed to undereating (with or without exercise) on occasion. By definition, it is impossible to maintain if a person is always either on their maintenance goal or slightly above.