Juice cleanse

Options

Replies

• Goal179
    Goal179 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Hi There. Don't give up on us. Our pals are very well meaning, very smart, very knowledgeable, but sometimes a bit aggressive. =0) I have tried a similar fast. Most of the posters are correct in saying that the weight is only water weight, BUT, for me, it was a big deal because it gave me a mental/emotional boost that spurred me into a healthy eating routine. I felt that I had given my digestive track a well deserved break and I had the chance to start putting healthy high fiber foods into my diet. I was very unhappy during the fast. I was hungry. I felt faint. I almost did not make it the full three days. You will need to have very very strong will power to make it through. Make the best of your investment. It won't necessarily hurt you as long as it is nutritious and full of vitamins and no junk (sugar, artificial colors, etc.) I hope it takes a few pounds off and really really inspires you to keep the scale moving in the right direction. If you are super vigilant about drinking your water and you don't go bad carb crazy after the fast is over, you may be able to keep the weight off. I was able to keep the weight off and it made me so happy and motivated to keep going. I would not suggest doing the fast repeatedly however. Get what you can out of this and use it as a kick start to boost you emotionally. Best of Luck. Friend me if you want to keep in touch. I would love to know how it works out for you.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Goal179 wrote: »
    Hi There. Don't give up on us. Our pals are very well meaning, very smart, very knowledgeable, but sometimes a bit aggressive. =0) I have tried a similar fast. Most of the posters are correct in saying that the weight is only water weight, BUT, for me, it was a big deal because it gave me a mental/emotional boost that spurred me into a healthy eating routine. I felt that I had given my digestive track a well deserved break and I had the chance to start putting healthy high fiber foods into my diet. I was very unhappy during the fast. I was hungry. I felt faint. I almost did not make it the full three days. You will need to have very very strong will power to make it through. Make the best of your investment. It won't necessarily hurt you as long as it is nutritious and full of vitamins and no junk (sugar, artificial colors, etc.) I hope it takes a few pounds off and really really inspires you to keep the scale moving in the right direction. If you are super vigilant about drinking your water and you don't go bad carb crazy after the fast is over, you may be able to keep the weight off. I was able to keep the weight off and it made me so happy and motivated to keep going. I would not suggest doing the fast repeatedly however. Get what you can out of this and use it as a kick start to boost you emotionally. Best of Luck. Friend me if you want to keep in touch. I would love to know how it works out for you.

Unless it made you think "Oh hell, I'm never doing something stupid like that again. Now where's the food scale and mfp app?" I don't see how something that is making you starve yourself and not remotely providing you with the nutrients you need could spur you into healthy eating.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    angpowers wrote: »
    Yea, ppl on here can tend to NOT read the question your asking and offer "advice" that you did not ask for. To the point where your like wow -- some really think their "experts" on nutrition. haha Just laugh it off.

For two days, you'll be find. Not sure that will be long enough to make you crazy with craving that chewing experience or anything like that. If anything, it might just help you wean from the rich foods and decrease your desire for them and sweets. Most juices, in my opinion, have a sweet taste -- even the veggie rich ones.

And for two days, maybe you'll learn something about your body, juices etc and grow from there.
    Best of luck! :)

What do you think you learn about your body by avoiding solid foods for two days to overcompensate from an indulgent vacation? Besides what it feels like to crouch painfully on the toilet for 48-72 hours?

"Hmmm, so this is what it feels like to have my entrails scoured by cayenne pepper and acetic acid, aka "Spicy Lemonade." Interesting....very interesting...."
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I did a juice cleanse last night but it wasn't juice, it was eggnog. Not touching eggnog ever again.

But but but...rum?

And brandy and whiskey and sugar and cream and egg. Lol

Ah...it's becoming clearer now. ;)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    angpowers wrote: »
    Yea, ppl on here can tend to NOT read the question your asking and offer "advice" that you did not ask for. To the point where your like wow -- some really think their "experts" on nutrition. haha Just laugh it off.

For two days, you'll be find. Not sure that will be long enough to make you crazy with craving that chewing experience or anything like that. If anything, it might just help you wean from the rich foods and decrease your desire for them and sweets. Most juices, in my opinion, have a sweet taste -- even the veggie rich ones.

And for two days, maybe you'll learn something about your body, juices etc and grow from there.
    Best of luck! :)

What do you think you learn about your body by avoiding solid foods for two days to overcompensate from an indulgent vacation? Besides what it feels like to crouch painfully on the toilet for 48-72 hours?

"Hmmm, so this is what it feels like to have my entrails scoured by cayenne pepper and acetic acid, aka "Spicy Lemonade." Interesting....very interesting...."

I'm hearing faint strains of Johnny Cash's "Burning Ring of Fire."
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    For those who were asking what is special about the Groupon cleanse. it is apparently the magic of "pressing" that gives this elixir its power:

"We don’t juice our juices, we PRESS our juices. Pressing produce helps keep the nutrient-rich enzymes intact and is the healthiest way for you to get your raw, unadulterated juices. Cold-pressing provides 3-5 times the nutrients and enzymes found in a pasteurized, juiced cleanse. Live more of your life in the RAW!

Packed with healthy nutrients and enzymes, our juice cleanses are designed to help make your body feel detoxified and unhindered. Each of our cleanses will detoxify your body of accumulated impurities and leave you looking and feeling as if you were glowing. Our Juice Cleanse contains high quantities of protein as well as a healthy dose of essential minerals and vitamins. Juice from the RAW finds a comfortable medium between nutrition and deliciousness with our cold-pressed juice cleanse program."

Also, for those expressing wonderments over the wondrous ingredients, they are apparently "pressing" romaine, spinach, carrots, apples and the other usual things that I get the old-timey way from the salad bar at work, but possibly they are getting the ingredients from unicorns, and not my salad bar (which also includes pickled pepper rings, which I don't see here):

http://www.juicefromtheraw.com/pages/nutritional-info

Finally, if you happen to be married to, theoretically, say, a professional chemist who also holds a double major in biology, whom you suspect might relentlessly mock you and debunk your magical juicing powers, not that this is intended to represent any real-life situation or entity, fear not: there is a helpful section on how to get your spouse to join you on your juicing journey, nay, pilgrimage: have him watch some youtube videos ("at youtube.com") with you ("After you watch those movies, you will be speaking all night about what you just learned and how you can use that information to improve your lives"), and then after you finish your cleanse, be sure that he then presents you with a nice dinner or better yet, a nice vacation:

"Before you start your juice cleanse, become clear about your juicing goals and set a success gift. A success gift is something you decide to give yourself after you successfully complete your cleanse. You and your partner can treat yourself to anything from a dinner at a nice restaurant to something as exciting as a vacation. What you do is up to you, but having some extra motivation will make it easier for someone to agree to join you on your journey."

So, as G.I. Joe says, "Now you know, and knowing is half the battle."

mvvgidf65ne1.jpg

Have you considered an exciting career in sales?

Just because I lure you in with unicorns* and magical elixirs, what makes you think I would sully my integrity with anything to do with sales, or, theoretically, marketing?

*Product contains less that .01% verified unicorn.

I KNEW you were a shill for Big Unicorn!
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options

Wouldn't it be much cheaper to do an actual fast for three days (nothing but water, maybe a multivitamin if you're worried)? Heck, it might be easier - no blood sugar spikes from the pure sugar juices...

Oh, but I guess you'd be missing the magix.... My bad.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

What? Why on earth would anyone choose to do what you are describing? It sounds miserable. I hope the lurkers take heed--there's alot of flap (and crap) on juices, cleansing, detoxing, blah, blah..... ALL unecessary to lose weight. You just need PATIENCE and CONSISTENCY and follow MFP.

Guys--great threading. I've been laughing myself silly. You've outdone yourselves.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    i started doing the master cleanse annually with my step dad when i was 14. Each bout was 10 days of the lemon juice, cayenne pepper, maple syrup and water mix. and also the dreaded salt water "flushes" which i could only do twice per cleanse not daily because even at 14 i had better things to do than hover over a toilet for 2.5 hours every morning.

after i moved out at 18 i kept doing them every year until i was about 28. the longest one i did for 23 days. i guess i partially did it for weight loss, but mostly i did it for discipline. i wanted to see if i could stick with something that was really tough. i've always struggled with moderation and this was not much of a help for my all or nothing mentality, it just stuck me at the nothing end of the spectrum for however long i was 'cleansing' and then i would ease out of it and go right back to ALL!

i do remember the 23 day cleanse though. it started out with the usual 3 days of misery before i got to the euphoria stage. i don't know what is responsible for the euphoria, possibly starvation? at any rate i was cruising through. i felt like i could have seriously done it forever, but a friend finally convinced me to stop the cleanse because i was acting weird, and i smelled bad and had a fuzzy tongue. as i came down from the high i started to survey the wreckage that my cleanse had wrought. aside from the intestinal problems of transitioning to solid food, it turns out i'm not a person who should really be high for 20 days straight. i make horrible decisions when i'm high, including acquiring a brand new roommate that i let move in after day 13.

eventually i just kind of got sick of doing them. the weight loss would just bounce right back after and i didn't want to drink that awful *kitten* anymore. it did save me money in my broke 20's though since i made it at home and the ingredients are all cheap.

tl/dr:
    pros: euphoria
    cons: euphoria based decisions
    no long term weight loss
    fuzzy tongue
    ketosis smell

2 days is not going to give you any of these, 2 days is probably not going to give you much at all. but that's my story and i'm sticking to it.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    So I got talked into doing a 2 day juice cleanse. Actually it's supposed to be 3 days but I know myself well enough to know I would hate that. I can handle 2 days. Anyone else ever do this?

You mean, not eat solid food for three days? No. No man. That's like...Why would i do that?

Right?! I'm in for chewing. It burns calories! ;)

Don't forget to log it as exercise. :)

All day long! ;)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

FYI, I don't believe your claims of maximum unicorn levels. I suspect you run a breading ground for them.

Breaded unicorn!

That's dinner sorted out. No need for juice cleanses, I'll be pooing rainbows anyway.

That typo turned into all kinds of awesome. Yup, I suspect breaded unicorn would fetch a pretty penny for all those fancy eaters out there.
  • NoNameJustMe
    NoNameJustMe Posts: 86 Member
    Options

FYI, I don't believe your claims of maximum unicorn levels. I suspect you run a breading ground for them.

Breaded unicorn!

That's dinner sorted out. No need for juice cleanses, I'll be pooing rainbows anyway.

That typo turned into all kinds of awesome. Yup, I suspect breaded unicorn would fetch a pretty penny for all those fancy eaters out there.

canned_unicorn_meat_zoom.jpg
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

I understand that pure-bred unicorns can extrude Unikornschnitzel without harm to themselves, so it's ethical, as well as delicious and healthy.

Pure-bread ones tend to be high in carbs.

Breaded unicorn!

canned_unicorn_meat_zoom.jpg

I love ThinkGeek.