Do diet pills and fat burners really work?

Options
1235»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    Green tea fat burner gel caps from Walmart have great reviews. I just started them so I'll let you know. It's actually a healthy pill too.
    Reviews from whom? Users give anecdotes. Have you read any reviews from peer reviewed clinical studies on it?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    There are prescription ones that absolutely do work but like any "fix" that isn't a sustainable lifestyle change they only work short term.
  • Samarisa
    Samarisa Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    htimpaired wrote: »
    Samarisa wrote: »
    Some worked very well. They got banned. Anything natural/herbal that works in the future? They'll ban it. Then what will you do? Regain the weight, that's what.

You can speculate as to why these bans happen or not if you wish. It's just been my experience after decades of use; from ephedra to methylsynephrine.

If it works? It gets banned.

The issue of tolerance and health concerns also exists. But then again, being very overweight isn't healthy, either.

Clearly it's all part of a government conspiracy to keep people fat.

More like pharma lobbyists not wanting competition from anything they can't patent. You can believe that or not.

I do.

Either way: It works? It gets banned.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Some worked very well. They got banned. Anything natural/herbal that works in the future? They'll ban it. Then what will you do? Regain the weight, that's what.

You can speculate as to why these bans happen or not if you wish. It's just been my experience after decades of use; from ephedra to methylsynephrine.

The issue of tolerance and health concerns also exists. But then again, being very overweight isn't healthy, either.

More like pharma lobbyists not wanting competition from anything they can't patent. You can believe that or not.

I do.

OR

It gets banned, because it's really not good for you.

I think you might be banging your head here.
  • Samarisa
    Samarisa Posts: 22 Member
    Options

I do.

OR

Then why are NSAIDs legal? Why is pseudo-ephedrine legal when that is what they make meth out of?
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

I do.

OR

Then why are NSAIDs legal? Why is pseudo-ephedrine legal when that is what they make meth out of?

I would say the reason for that would be that someone decided the positives outweigh the negatives.

Because we want something to work, and be ok, doesn't make it so.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

I do.

OR

This is known as risk analysis. All regulatory agencies approve products based upon this philosophy.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Speaking of Superfoods, here is a good link listing out all the Superfoods we should be eating.

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/superfoods/

Have a read through it and let me know if you don't like the list.

Just subscribed to that newsletter - that was the best.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Green tea fat burner gel caps from Walmart have great reviews. I just started them so I'll let you know. It's actually a healthy pill too.

What exctly is healthy about it?
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    CM_73 wrote: »
    ugofatcat wrote: »
    witcherkar wrote: »
    So i work for a health and wellness company. We have 3 products that used together help hou lose weight. One: suppresses appetite and gives you over 30 superfoods. Two: a carb and fat blocker. Three: a thermogenic metabolism booster making you burn double the calories. All natural ingredients. And yes it works. We have real people who have lost weight with it and as long as your not eating mcdonalds 3 times a day, it works. Ive used it. Wait, im still using it!!

That sounds very tempting! Can you quickly run through the mechanism by which these magic pills bind fat and carbohydrate to make them indigestible? And no need to go easy on the sciency bit, I'm an analytical chemist :)

Also, the ones that double calorie consumption - I'm no biologist, but I'm assuming the result would be massive amounts of heat? How does the body cope with that? Does RHR rise significantly? What are the effects on the heart?

If these things really did as claimed, has anyone ever survived taking all 3?

Yours in anticipation,

I am not a scientist or a doctor. Im a 21 year old girl who has seen the results on friends, family, and even strangers. Heres is the best i can get for you. And yes everyone has survived all three since i take all 3 too.

I shall start with the first one. The ItWorks Fat Fighters. Two tablets contain the following ingredients:

Chromium dinicotinate glycinate 150 mcg: This reduces blood sugar levels.
    NeOpuntia (cactus leaf) 500 mg: This is actually the prickly pear cactus which somehow binds fat so we dont absorb it.
    Proprietary blend of the following 510 mg
    1. Garcinia cambogia fruit extract: This prevents carbs from turning into fat.
    2. Green tea leaf extract: This has caffeine which is a stimulant.
    3. Phaseolamin: This is the white Kidney Bean Extract. This inhibits a carb digesting enzyme. So it blocks the carbs from being digested. It also reduces appetite by lower ghrelin hormones (the ones that tell you to eat).Also lowers blood sugar and insulin levels.
    5. Bitter melon fruit: This inhibits primary human adipocyte differentiation by modulating adipogenic genes, which increases fat burning.
    6. Banaba leaf extract: This lowers blood sugar and blocks carbs
    7. Gymnema sylvestre leaf extract: This also lowers blood sugar
    8. Wheat amalyase inhibitor: amalyase is an enzyme that helps us absorb carbs. So an inhibitor would make us not.
    9. Vanadium: Also reduces blood sugar

The 2nd one is the thermofit.
    Ingredients:
    1. B12- Boost Energy
    2. Chromium- Already talked about
    3. Capsaicin- This comes from hot peppers. It reduces appetite and speeds up fat burning.
    4. Capsimax- This is a type of Capsaicin which causes sensations of heat and burning because it promotes the release of substance P.
    5. Raspberry Keytones- doubled with Capsimax makes it stronger.
    6. Acai Fruit Extract- superfood that lowers blood sugar
    7. Green tea extract- already talked about
    8. Bitter melon- already talked about
    9. Dandelion root- direuretic
    10. Gymnema Leaf Extract- already talked about
    11. Niacin- increases body temp

Cool, thanks for that. As I say, I'm no biologist, or even a biological chemist, so I have no idea what the effect of a lot of these extracts are.
    There are certainly some compounds that may help to do as claimed, but the effects (to my limited knowledge) are going to be minimal and unlikely to be statistically significant.
    Caffeine, obviously, is the one that leaps out as being helpful but the amount of caffeine in a percentage of 500mg of extract will obviously depend a lot on the extraction technique and the ratio to other compounds present.
    CDG is another I'm familiar with, but I'm not aware of any research that conclusively demonstrates its effectiveness?
    They appear to be extracts containing some ingredients that may help, some that are controversial, and others based on popular belief.

On a different note, I'm really glad they work for you. Personally, I wouldn't spend my money on them, but if you believe in them, and they help you stay in a calorific deficit as a result of this, then they're clearly worth it to you.

Does the company produce any peer reviewed scientific studies into the effectiveness of these tablets?

CM_73 you are officially my favorite person on these forums now.

I have heard that the fat pills/detox pills/cleanse pills are very good at shrinking the size of your wallet, by the way.

Aw, shucks, that's the nicest thing anyone's ever said to me!

I do feel a bit bad for bashing the poster over the claims, it's not her fault, but I do get really irritated by the companies touting these products. To my mind they're no better than the phone & Microsoft scammers, just preying on peoples vulnerabilities and blatantly making false, or deceptive, claims.

I guess there is a place for these things, if someone believes that it gives them the drive to get to the gym, or to keep on logging calories when they're otherwise flagging then I'm in no place to knock that.
    But, what happens long term? what happens if the company goes bust or you can no longer get the pills? At some point they're going to have to see the light to maintain a healthy weight in my opinion.

The problem, for me, is the claims associated with these ones. The oil in water demo is just insulting and as for doubling calorie burns...

If they'd stated that they may help weight loss as part of a calorie controlled diet, or similar, then fine, each to their own but that's just ridiculous.

I agree, whatever helps get people motivated. At the same time I don't know how to get people see they don't need these pills they already have everything they need to be successful!

Unfortunately our quick fix culture combined with lack of scientific literacy (have you heard about the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide?! http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html) qw have the prefect breeding ground for all these snake oil peddlers.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Well, Akasha columns that are supposed to protect you from the harmful effect of chemtrails have great reviews too.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

I do.

Do you know why that stuff gets banned? Because in order to work it has to *kitten* severely with how your body processes energy.
    One of the best-working things that was once used? Can kill you if you so much as overdose by a few hundred milligram accumulation in your body. There is no antidote. How much is an overdose? That differs from person to person and you'll only know what a safe dosage is by trying it out.
    That's the reason this kind of stuff is banned.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    @witcherkar if these pills do what you claim why are you on this website? From your avatar it would seem that you have a fair bit of progress to make before you can start selling miracle weight loss products.

Because it takes time just like everything else. Plus i lose motivation and stop. Plus i have binge eating disorder. Im not saying they are miracle weightloss pills. Im saying that they really do help. I wish yall would stop attacking me.

I have a neighbor that took these products and she ended up with liver issues 3 months into taking them. she had no previous liver issues before that. it almost killed her,she was really sick,once she stopped she started getting better and her health continues to improve. so much for something that promotes its safe to take. she has no other health issues either and took no other meds.she was overweight looking for a quick fix. not to mention a lot of those ingredients should not be taken by people who take certain meds or have some health issues..you can look up each ingredient and it will tell you what not to take it with and what health issue the ingredient will cause issues for.