Do diet pills and fat burners really work?

Options

Replies

• LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I've seen people use them, but it didn't seem to help them much. They'd run around like coked-up rabbits for a week or two and then it was on to the next thing.

Even if I was inclined to take them though, I couldn't/wouldn't. Those things aren't very friendly to people with certain issues. I'd highly recommend checking with a doctor if you have any health concerns, especially if you have a history of kidney or neurological problems.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    CM_73 wrote: »
    witcherkar wrote: »
    So i work for a health and wellness company. We have 3 products that used together help hou lose weight. One: suppresses appetite and gives you over 30 superfoods. Two: a carb and fat blocker. Three: a thermogenic metabolism booster making you burn double the calories. All natural ingredients. And yes it works. We have real people who have lost weight with it and as long as your not eating mcdonalds 3 times a day, it works. Ive used it. Wait, im still using it!!

That sounds very tempting! Can you quickly run through the mechanism by which these magic pills bind fat and carbohydrate to make them indigestible? And no need to go easy on the sciency bit, I'm an analytical chemist :)

Also, the ones that double calorie consumption - I'm no biologist, but I'm assuming the result would be massive amounts of heat? How does the body cope with that? Does RHR rise significantly? What are the effects on the heart?

If these things really did as claimed, has anyone ever survived taking all 3?

Yours in anticipation,

I've gotten this demo as "proof" before.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EncrNDiGuco

Trust me, i've been down this rabbit hole... you're wasting your time with these people. ;)

They also believe a topical serum can penetrate skin and connective tissue to "detoxify" fat cells.

My favorite part is when the oil finally pulls itself back up...
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    So i work for a health and wellness company. We have 3 products that used together help hou lose weight. One: suppresses appetite and gives you over 30 superfoods. Two: a carb and fat blocker. Three: a thermogenic metabolism booster making you burn double the calories. All natural ingredients. And yes it works. We have real people who have lost weight with it and as long as your not eating mcdonalds 3 times a day, it works. Ive used it. Wait, im still using it!!

That sounds very tempting! Can you quickly run through the mechanism by which these magic pills bind fat and carbohydrate to make them indigestible? And no need to go easy on the sciency bit, I'm an analytical chemist :)

Also, the ones that double calorie consumption - I'm no biologist, but I'm assuming the result would be massive amounts of heat? How does the body cope with that? Does RHR rise significantly? What are the effects on the heart?

Yours in anticipation,

I've gotten this demo as "proof" before.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EncrNDiGuco

Trust me, i've been down this rabbit hole... you're wasting your time with these people. ;)

They also believe a topical serum can penetrate skin and connective tissue to "detoxify" fat cells.

My favorite part is when the oil finally pulls itself back up...

It was like a little story of struggle and then finally triumph.

My favorite part is that it only works on veggie oils but not on olive oil. Because somehow it can tell the good oils from the bad ones. ItWorks is like the Santa Clause of dietary fats.

Just another useless MLM scam (like all the rest of them) preying on desperate, uninformed people. The only people who benefit from them are the ones selling them.

And "superfoods" are a bunch of BS. The only place they exist is in advertising hype. There's no such thing as a "superfood".

I was think of the naughty or nice list when I wrote that, but it would work in the sense of Santa being imaginary.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Here is a good link listing out all the Superfoods we should be eating.

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/superfoods/

Have a read through it and let me know if you don't like the list.

^ Exactly.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    So i work for a health and wellness company. We have 3 products that used together help hou lose weight. One: suppresses appetite and gives you over 30 superfoods.
    Drinking water suppresses appetite. And there are no such things as "superfoods".
    Two: a carb and fat blocker.
    No such thing as a carb blocker and taking a fat blocker doesn't only block unwanted fat, but ESSENTIAL FAT as well. Ouch.
    Three: a thermogenic metabolism booster making you burn double the calories. All natural ingredients. And yes it works. We have real people who have lost weight with it and as long as your not eating mcdonalds 3 times a day, it works. Ive used it. Wait, im still using it!!
    Total BS propoganda. If someone's BMR is 1500 a day, you're telling me that this "natural product" boosts that BMR to 3000? Lol, you're drinking that company koolaid.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I'll take some of that Koolaid, please!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,573 Member
    Options
    Speaking of Superfoods, here is a good link listing out all the Superfoods we should be eating.

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/superfoods/

Have a read through it and let me know if you don't like the list.
    +1 from me!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options

Yours in anticipation,

I am not a scientist or a doctor. Im a 21 year old girl who has seen the results on friends, family, and even strangers. Heres is the best i can get for you. And yes everyone has survived all three since i take all 3 too.

I shall start with the first one. The ItWorks Fat Fighters. Two tablets contain the following ingredients:

Chromium dinicotinate glycinate 150 mcg: This reduces blood sugar levels.
    NeOpuntia (cactus leaf) 500 mg: This is actually the prickly pear cactus which somehow binds fat so we dont absorb it.
    Proprietary blend of the following 510 mg
    1. Garcinia cambogia fruit extract: This prevents carbs from turning into fat.
    2. Green tea leaf extract: This has caffeine which is a stimulant.
    3. Phaseolamin: This is the white Kidney Bean Extract. This inhibits a carb digesting enzyme. So it blocks the carbs from being digested. It also reduces appetite by lower ghrelin hormones (the ones that tell you to eat).Also lowers blood sugar and insulin levels.
    5. Bitter melon fruit: This inhibits primary human adipocyte differentiation by modulating adipogenic genes, which increases fat burning.
    6. Banaba leaf extract: This lowers blood sugar and blocks carbs
    7. Gymnema sylvestre leaf extract: This also lowers blood sugar
    8. Wheat amalyase inhibitor: amalyase is an enzyme that helps us absorb carbs. So an inhibitor would make us not.
    9. Vanadium: Also reduces blood sugar

The 2nd one is the thermofit.
    Ingredients:
    1. B12- Boost Energy
    2. Chromium- Already talked about
    3. Capsaicin- This comes from hot peppers. It reduces appetite and speeds up fat burning.
    4. Capsimax- This is a type of Capsaicin which causes sensations of heat and burning because it promotes the release of substance P.
    5. Raspberry Keytones- doubled with Capsimax makes it stronger.
    6. Acai Fruit Extract- superfood that lowers blood sugar
    7. Green tea extract- already talked about
    8. Bitter melon- already talked about
    9. Dandelion root- direuretic
    10. Gymnema Leaf Extract- already talked about
    11. Niacin- increases body temp

Cool, thanks for that. As I say, I'm no biologist, or even a biological chemist, so I have no idea what the effect of a lot of these extracts are.
    There are certainly some compounds that may help to do as claimed, but the effects (to my limited knowledge) are going to be minimal and unlikely to be statistically significant.
    Caffeine, obviously, is the one that leaps out as being helpful but the amount of caffeine in a percentage of 500mg of extract will obviously depend a lot on the extraction technique and the ratio to other compounds present.
    CDG is another I'm familiar with, but I'm not aware of any research that conclusively demonstrates its effectiveness?
    They appear to be extracts containing some ingredients that may help, some that are controversial, and others based on popular belief.

On a different note, I'm really glad they work for you. Personally, I wouldn't spend my money on them, but if you believe in them, and they help you stay in a calorific deficit as a result of this, then they're clearly worth it to you.

Does the company produce any peer reviewed scientific studies into the effectiveness of these tablets?

CM_73 you are officially my favorite person on these forums now.

I have heard that the fat pills/detox pills/cleanse pills are very good at shrinking the size of your wallet, by the way.
  • TaraTaraTara76
    TaraTaraTara76 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Green tea fat burner gel caps from Walmart have great reviews. I just started them so I'll let you know. It's actually a healthy pill too.