Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Protein, Protein, Protein -enough Protein

Replies

• antdelsa
    antdelsa Posts: 174 Member
    As a bodybuilder i cant stress enough the importance of protein, and thats not just as an athlete or bodybuilder but for anyone looking to lose weight.

Number 1 protein is the number one most satiating macro there is, proper protein equals proper appetite, also if you are deficient in your protein intake chances are you will lose muscle, less muscle equals less calories burned, less calories burned equals less fat loss ...

Number 2, the amount of amino acids, branch chain amino acids, micro nutrients, and vitamins from healthy proteins is absolutely vital to a healthy diet.

With that said yes its ok to eat less protein from time to time, its ok to be vegetarian or vegan i could never knock anyone for their choices but to say its humorous at how much people praise protein is kinda funny to me ... protein is very essential in any healthy diet, as well as carbs and healthy fats

Also any macro in excess can be unhealthy just like anything in this world, if we're talking about meat specifically than i can only say processed meats are terrible, good quality lean meats are amazing for your health when eaten within a proper diet and nutrition plan.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited December 2016
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Do you really want to just do the bare minimum?

People who are eating very low calorie only have so many calories to juggle. It's a balancing act. There are many things that need to be worked into daily intake and protein is just one of the considerations.

MFP defaults 20% protein which puts a 1200 calorie plan at 60 grams. They used to default to 15% but bumped it up to give a bit of a buffer since studies are showing that it's useful to eat above the RDA when losing weight.

Some seem to feel that 60 grams is still crazy low. It's not.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    seska422 wrote: »

People who are eating very low calorie only have so many calories to juggle. It's a balancing act. There are many things that need to be worked into daily intake and protein is just one of the considerations.

MFP defaults 20% protein which puts a 1200 calorie plan at 60 grams. They used to default to 15% but bumped it up to give a bit of a buffer since studies are showing that it's useful to eat above the RDA when losing weight.

Those on low calorie diets should have a larger portion of their calories dedicated to protein, not only for muscle retention but also satiety.
  • antdelsa
    antdelsa Posts: 174 Member
    antdelsa wrote: »
    As a bodybuilder i cant stress enough the importance of protein, and thats not just as an athlete or bodybuilder but for anyone looking to lose weight.

Number 1 protein is the number one most satiating macro there is, proper protein equals proper appetite, also if you are deficient in your protein intake chances are you will lose muscle, less muscle equals less calories burned, less calories burned equals less fat loss ...

Number 2, the amount of amino acids, branch chain amino acids, micro nutrients, and vitamins from healthy proteins is absolutely vital to a healthy diet.

With that said yes its ok to eat less protein from time to time, its ok to be vegetarian or vegan i could never knock anyone for their choices but to say its humorous at how much people praise protein is kinda funny to me ... protein is very essential in any healthy diet, as well as carbs and healthy fats

Also any macro in excess can be unhealthy just like anything in this world, if we're talking about meat specifically than i can only say processed meats are terrible, good quality lean meats are amazing for your health when eaten within a proper diet and nutrition plan.

Just want to point out that being vegetarian or vegan doesn't mean that one is necessarily eating less protein. Plenty of vegetarians and vegans meet or exceed protein requirements. While it's true there are people in the community who will say that the protein guidelines are overstated (which I don't agree with), it isn't like you have to choose between vegetarianism/veganism and meeting protein guidelines -- you can do both.

I agree with that, i have no issues with vegans/vegetarians, and there are plenty of ways for them to get protein. I was kind of unsure if the original post was pointed towards that lifestyle or what the whole direction of the post was
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »

Those on low calorie diets should have a larger portion of their calories dedicated to protein, not only for muscle retention but also satiety.

That's why it's set to 20%.
  • CactusCat58
    CactusCat58 Posts: 19 Member
    Ok, so now I'm playing around with protein amounts and wonder why MFP's is so much higher than the recommended amount? Am I doing the math wrong?

130lbs converted to kg is 59 (rounded up) x .8 (which I'm seeing recommended on numerous places online)= 47g of protein.

But, MFP has me set at 94g? This auto adjusted after I manually entered in the calorie intake the USDA recommends that I follow for maintaining my current stats-1,864. At that calorie intake the USDA calculator gave me a recommendation of 47g of protein (factoring in my age/height etc). Why is there such a large discrepancy in protein amounts between the two?

Sorry OP, didn't mean to hijack your post but I think I see what you're getting at?

Don't the recommendations on MFP adjust depending upon exercise?
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member

I am having to go moderate carb because of health reasons. Yesterday was my first day. When I logged my calories last night I was sitting at only slightly above 1000. I still managed to get in 100g of protein and more than the recommended servings of vegetables. I know 1000 is not VLC but for the average person it is. I will admit my fat grams were low but they always are even when I am eating at 1600.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Ok, so now I'm playing around with protein amounts and wonder why MFP's is so much higher than the recommended amount? Am I doing the math wrong?

130lbs converted to kg is 59 (rounded up) x .8 (which I'm seeing recommended on numerous places online)= 47g of protein.

But, MFP has me set at 94g? This auto adjusted after I manually entered in the calorie intake the USDA recommends that I follow for maintaining my current stats-1,864. At that calorie intake the USDA calculator gave me a recommendation of 47g of protein (factoring in my age/height etc). Why is there such a large discrepancy in protein amounts between the two?

Sorry OP, didn't mean to hijack your post but I think I see what you're getting at?

Yep, and i don't bother chasing the number once it gets stupid high! I'm usually between 120-180g of protein a day.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member

I have no idea, I don't input exercise into MFP so I don't know what it does to the food tracking area?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    antdelsa wrote: »

Just want to point out that being vegetarian or vegan doesn't mean that one is necessarily eating less protein. Plenty of vegetarians and vegans meet or exceed protein requirements. While it's true there are people in the community who will say that the protein guidelines are overstated (which I don't agree with), it isn't like you have to choose between vegetarianism/veganism and meeting protein guidelines -- you can do both.

^This. I'm veggie.
  • psuLemon

That's why it's set to 20%.

Its set to 20% based on USDA recommendations IIRC.

And when you add exercise, it would add macros at the standard percentage breakout for those wondering.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member

Yep, and i don't bother chasing the number once it gets stupid high! I'm usually between 120-180g of protein a day.

Damn, I'd be stuffing down the yogurt and protein bars 3x a day to hit that.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    zyxst wrote: »

Damn, I'd be stuffing down the yogurt and protein bars 3x a day to hit that.

lol it's not a conscience effort, I just tend to gravitate toward higher protein foods.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

I don't think it's crazy low, but it's lower than I think is ideal for someone (other than a quite small person, based on LBM) trying to maintain muscle when losing weight, and that's especially true at low calories like 1200 or if someone is in a group prone to losing muscle anyway, like a middle-aged woman (like me and many others at MFP).

There are lots of studies that suggest that even obese people are more apt to lose more muscle and less fat at a standard RDA protein diet vs. one that is somewhat higher. (Percentages aren't a great way to do it, IMO.)

For example, a study I posted recently in the Debate forum for other reasons compared obese women (30+ BMI) losing 10% of their weight on a .8 g/kg protein diet (RDA) vs. a 1.2 g/kg protein diet.

To look at the numbers, let's say a woman is 200 lbs. At .8 g/kg, that's 72 g, whereas at 1.2 g/kg that's 108 g. Yet the lower protein group lost twice as much muscle: http://caloriesproper.com/discordant-insulin-sensitivity-on-a-high-protein-diet/. There were other effects that caused discussion about the benefit of the protein to someone with insulin issues (which is what I posted about), but this effect on muscle loss vs. fat loss is what I've seen in a number of studies and it's why I don't think the RDA is really the crucial number for people at a deficit and that's especially so (again) as the deficit gets higher and as one is closer to goal.

I don't think the number I suggest is crazy high (for me it is about 78g -102 g or .65-.85 g/lb of healthy goal weight), but yeah I'd personally recommend for someone at 1200 of my size (not large, more for someone larger, less for someone smaller, again wrt LBM or height/build) to try and hit at least that range if doing a low calorie diet and cut more on other things. I don't think its tough to hit those numbers without sacrificing nutrient dense foods such as vegetables, for example, either, although I do know it can be harder when someone is doing a plant-based diet to get there.)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

Yeah, even when I ate back exercise I'd ignore the effect on the macros and just try to hit my normal protein.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Yeah there's a lot of misinformation in general about protein. I gained muscle not eating a crap ton of protein so that myth that you have to eat 100-200g a day to gain muscle is complete crap. Also it doesn't keep me fuller longer.

What was your muscle gain and what was your protein intake during that time in terms of g/lb? You could gain on .6g/lb, I can see this happening for you if your activity is moderate but that's you specifically and not others. The requirements for protein are actually very well established.
    The RDA is established but there's a lot of wack jobs on here eating like 250g of protein a day for what? Absolutely no rasin.

I wast eating between 60-100g usually on the lower end so around .4 and .5 per lb body weight.

Why are they whack jobs? In some individuals there are benefits of high protein, especially if you are cutting weight. This doesn't mean i am suggesting 250g but if i am working to cut fat and maintain or gain muscle in a deficit, i would aim for 1g per lb since i am fairly lean as it is.

ETA: One thing to consider, there are a lot less negatives and more positives eating more protein that you need. The same argument cant be said about too little protein. Too little problem can cause more problems and there arent really positives that i can think of.

I've done my fair share of looking at people's diaries on here and most of what I have seen is people eating pretty much nothing but dense protein foods and then I might see 1 vegetable eaten that day and no fruit. What kind of balance is that? Focusing too much on one macro can cause people to not look at other nutrients they need like those from fruits and vegetables. Not everyone, just saying what I've seen. I don't make the news I just report it.

So quit looking at low carbers and keto

That seems to be what's poppin on mfp now thought lol like most threads
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    Yeah there's a lot of misinformation in general about protein. I gained muscle not eating a crap ton of protein so that myth that you have to eat 100-200g a day to gain muscle is complete crap. Also it doesn't keep me fuller longer.

What was your muscle gain and what was your protein intake during that time in terms of g/lb? You could gain on .6g/lb, I can see this happening for you if your activity is moderate but that's you specifically and not others. The requirements for protein are actually very well established.
    The RDA is established but there's a lot of wack jobs on here eating like 250g of protein a day for what? Absolutely no rasin.

I wast eating between 60-100g usually on the lower end so around .4 and .5 per lb body weight.

Why are they whack jobs? In some individuals there are benefits of high protein, especially if you are cutting weight. This doesn't mean i am suggesting 250g but if i am working to cut fat and maintain or gain muscle in a deficit, i would aim for 1g per lb since i am fairly lean as it is.

ETA: One thing to consider, there are a lot less negatives and more positives eating more protein that you need. The same argument cant be said about too little protein. Too little problem can cause more problems and there arent really positives that i can think of.

I've done my fair share of looking at people's diaries on here and most of what I have seen is people eating pretty much nothing but dense protein foods and then I might see 1 vegetable eaten that day and no fruit. What kind of balance is that? Focusing too much on one macro can cause people to not look at other nutrients they need like those from fruits and vegetables. Not everyone, just saying what I've seen. I don't make the news I just report it.

She shouldn't be seeing a lot of protein in diaries if she's looking at keto people. Keto is a low carb, moderate protein, high fat diet. They're usually at around 15-20'ish % protein. Regardless, I guess it's not surprising to see a vegan refer to people eating higher protein as "wack jobs", since her perspective is slightly (?) biased in that regard.
  • psuLemon

I can bet you will find the moderation crew eat much more protein than most lchf and keto followers. Where the deviation tends to occur is those body builders following the current broscience or people who dont know how to implement the protocol correctly.