WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2017

Options

Replies

• dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Lisa - You have a lot going on. I hope it all works out the way you want. I wouldn't be sleeping either.

Lois - What is Joslin diabetes? Sending prayers for your DH

Sarah - Are you okay? What happened? How long has your DH had his transplant.

Pip -Love the photo of you and your Mom. Two lovely ladies.

ginahill1961 - Hawaii! WhooHoo!! You can do this.

Karen in Virginia - The doggies are precious. The flank steak looks perfect.
    I dread going to to work because of discussions about me stepping down. I dread work because my boss lied to me and I don't want to see his face. There are more reasons but those are enough for now.

Michele - Denise looks beautiful in her gown.
    Those gardenburgers will get you every time.

Sherry - It sounds as if you are well on your way to being healthier. Yeah! for less meds.

Becca- Sometimes it's hard dealing with family. I'm glad you have your older sister.

Katla. - I carry a donor card. The guidelines for living donors are very strict. I don't qualify because of the cancer I had and also because of my sugars. It seems it would be easier to give him a kidney if I was dead.
    I love your quote.

Allie - That was one heck of a way to end the night! Bravo for stopping, for caring and for actually helping. Tom is a putz .

Heather - Feel better soon . Enjoy your toast.

drkatiebug - I see where you get your smile. Congratulations on being overweight. Now there's something that you don't here every day.

Re - Thanks for your kind thoughts. Got to love crockpots.

DJ - "Tequila Monster" Lol

Lenora - My Mom had a complete hysterectomy at age 80 after they found a soft ball size tumour. They said she was clear. She died of ovarian cancer at age 82.
    Can we see a photo of that Christmas tree? Did you share it with us before? I bet it is pretty.

Grace - Planning for success. Got to love that.

jolenec1 - Welcome back. Please don't beat yourself up. We have all started over (some more than once)

Marni - Finished Day 5 of No Sugar. I will let you know if it moved that needle when I go to my weight loss nurse on Feb 1st.

Found the church marriage certificate. I wonder if they would accept that? Also found some old photos of my ex-SIL, ex-BIL, my ex and a guy we called BooBoo. I need to send BIL the photo with 6'3" frame folded into his new canary yellow Triumph convertible. Am I getting closer to finding our official marriage certificate? The search continues tomorrow.

I've been napping a lot the last few days. You know the kind where you're not really asleep but you can't seem to open your eyes. It's annoying. I have things to accomplish.

This morning there were 3 accidents on the bridge I take to work. I was late. This "gentlemen" then proceeded to pass me on a merge. He went into the left lane and then we got to a red light. He cut me off, sped through a gas station, through a parking lot, out the other side and turned right on to the street we were on. People like him cause accidents.

Still icy here. People are still crazy.

-Sharon In Lethbridge
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Good morning all

HEATHER- so glad you're feeling a bit better

ROSE- I too wear my fitbit on non dominant wrist, I wear it all the time. When I go the gym I put it on my ankle

Took my coat to the tailor and they are going to take it in and shorten the sleeves, very expensive but cheaper than a new coat. I probably could have attempted it myself but I thought it would be more complicated as it has panels.

No time for the gym today so will do youtube video as have to go to the dentist for a check up. Will check in later

Kate UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies~
    well got about 7hr and 18 mins sleep, today is my unpaid day off and will do 2 loads of laundry and and make some dinner...
    have the weekend off, so will get the house cleaned up then too..
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Morning all. I am unable to sleep, up at 3:30 a.m. So am just starting with coffee and checking In with you all. Thinking too much about work stress and the inevitable changes that come with being in one place for too long-this is my 24th year of teaching and I feel worn out! Not good, need a mental health break!

So that's the end of my pity party, busy busy day today and tomorrow.

Glad to hear folks making progress (chris you are on fire and healing (Heather thank goodness you've turned a corner.

Love checking in with you all. Take care. NYKAREN
  • gotu52
    gotu52 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Sorry everyone, I inserted the pic at the end and it went smack in the middle and then left that big space, I tried to re-edit it but it kept posting this way. Sarah.
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK
    <3
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Happy Thursday! It's been a busy early morning! Got my Crunches and Crockpots work out in, and got myself ready for the day. Then DH comes into the kitchen as I am making my breakfast and asked if I would make him the stuffed garlic bread that I made for dinner last night. See...last night, he stood in the kitchen talking to me as I cooked the cubed steak, mushrooms, onions, and shredded the cheese and rolled out the pizza dough. I got everything put together and wrapped in the dough and baked. When I pulled it out of the oven; he was asleep. REALLY out. SO...DOS ended up stopping over, and I fed him DH's dinner! The reason I chose this dinner was specifically because DH is having a tooth out this afternoon and will be on soft foods for a while. Also this is my last "meat" meal before my colonoscopy. Now it is veggies with a bit of rice for the next two days, then two days of clear broths etc. I am hoping this makes the "prep" go a little easier.
    Heather- So glad you were able to get some help for your "Dehli belly"! Enjoy Merida! It is a beautiful area! I think the entire Yucatan peninsula is just gorgeous and the history is equally breathtaking!
    Lisa- So proud of the progress you are making with NOT smoking during this stressful/exciting time of possible sale. Whatever the outcome of the property; thinking of you as you continue to stay cigarette free!
    Waves to everyone else! Hugs and much love. Kids arriving...ttfn KJ (Kelly)
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    B)
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Heather Sending strength and healing thoughts. Glad you are a little better! <3

Tracie I would say you are passing the 5 year mark with flying colors! Yay! Here's to the next five!

Anne from WI I tried to make the cauliflower pizza once like a big pizza crust and it was just too wet, so I recommend the individual bites and making the "crust" thin so it will all brown up. I have actually thought about putting my grated cauliflower in the dehydrator to dry it out, LOL! Concerning your legging problem, Katie and I seem to share your obsession. It does keep my Jazzercise friends amused.

Chris in MA Would you be willing to post your cauliflower pizza crust recipe? I would like to have one that would be suitable for a whole pizza.

Margaret Healing thoughts for your husband. The Nature Center presentation sounds fascinating!

DJ Good luck with getting back into your gym routine!

Michele Here is the link for the cauliflower pizza bites. I would make little flat patties and put them on parchment paper next time, they were hard to get out of the muffin tins.

http://fitmencook.com/low-carb-cauliflower-pizza-bites/

The macros are not low enough in carbs to fit very easily into a keto diet but would fit into a low carb diet.
    Per pizza bite: 104 calories, 6g carbohydrates, 7g fat, 7g protein, 2g fiber, 3g sugar

Sharon I used to dread going to work because of a certain co-worker. I would almost vomit when I drove into the parking lot and saw her car. Fortunately we work at different facilities now so I never see her. I used to stand in the parking lot and imagine "the white cone of silence" around me before I entered the building. It wasn't really a cone of silence (LOL!) it was just my imaginary personal space with an imaginary protective shield. I also carried an imaginary tool belt with all kinds of weapons in it to use when I needed to defend or protect myself. It did help, and it amused me. I am sorry you are dealing with a bad work situation.

NYKAREN I had been feeling irritable and compassion-fatigued about work for some time...and then on a whim I decided to pick a retirement date and loaded it into an app on my phone which counts down...for some reason that settled me down. I am happier at work and feel more hopeful about doing the work I need to do before we downsize (a monumental task). I am still in the "fake it 'til you make it" mode a fair bit. I hope you get the mental health break you need. (((Hugs)))

Cheri Glad you got your luggage, was everything intact?

Karen in Virginia
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,344 Member
    Options
    Don't know what it was, but I woke up really late this morning (at least, late for me) so instead of the Joyce Vidral DVD that I had planned to do, I did a total Body Sculpt with Resistance Bands DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do a 20-40-60 workout on the treadmill. This is where you walk for 1 minute, walk faster for 40 seconds, then run for 20 seconds.

Afterwards, I'll go see the lady who does the sewing for me and see if she can fix Jess' quilt (I suspect the material is just so worn that she won't be able to). She was sick so I made her some chicken soup. I usually take something to her.

Anyway, later this morning I'm supposed to volunteer at the Green Room then tonight we have Newcomer bowling. Today is Lynette's birthday so I'll stop by her office and give her a piece of a chocolate cake with lime icing that I made for Vince. I'm thinking that after the Green Room maybe I'll stop at Bi-Lo to get items on sale. They just recently got a Keurig at the Green Room and I love my tea (not a big coffee drinker at all). I did get 2 boxes of the tea pods because I just didn't feel it was fair for them to constantly be buying it. Anyway, I usually wind up having three 10oz cups while I'm there. I love my tea (without sugar).

Marni - feel better fast. I'd honestly forgotten about taking the snow off the roof. You know why I used the key lime icing? I'd bought it on sale and wanted to use it up....lol Normally, I like to make my own icing, but I did want to use this up. Hey, I was just thinking, it just might come in handy for St. Patrick's Day...lol. Is that a moose visiting you??? Way cool (don't know if you all think so but I enjoy the pics. Don't know if I'd enjoy it in real life, tho)

Sharon - if I had known that those Gardenburgers were so high in calories, I could have compensated and not have had the pork chop at dinner but just veggies (which is what I probably should have done anyway). Oh well live and learn....and die a fool

Sarah - thanks for the info about the filo. I always wondered what would happen if you didn't use butter in between the layers, now I know. You look great with your two lovelies. I was just looking at this video yesterday! You know, I used to have a problem with pics I posted being in the middle of my post. What I found (and I THINK this solved the problem) is when you go to add the pic, be sure your curser is below your name.

KJ - we were talking about the colonoscopy yesterday, I think it was because Vince got Gatorade at the store and I mentioned that the only time I ever drink Gatorade is when I'm getting prepped for my colonoscopy. I have another 3 years before I have to go thru it again. Not that I'm looking forward to that!

Karen in VA - the cauliflower rice for cauliflower crust, I've found, needs to be DRY. Really rung out. Sometimes that's just so hard to do. Wish there was a way to take it when I get a mammo. Then they REALLY squeeze it. Only that probably wouldn't work. But that's about the only thing that I can think of that squeezes tightly.

Karen in VA - thanks for that recipe. Can you use white flour in place of the almond flour? I'm thinking that maybe putting the cauliflower in a LOW oven maybe will help dry it out? I have a "proof" setting on my oven so maybe I can use that.

Michele in NC
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    2522407rzt4n87yj4.gif

Good morning! Hugs for all!

Cheri
    whose hip pain has moved to her lower back....ugh.....hobbling along in TX
  • karla040
    karla040 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello new at this.could use more friends to help me stay on track
  • lacruiser2016
    lacruiser2016 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Had a really nice thing happen this morning in bodypump class...especially after the Tuesday weigh in with no loss. One of the girls looked at me and said "you're losing weight!" Hurray -- the eye is better than the scale!! :dizzy:
    Marni, your weenies have the sweetest eyes!
    Loved the moose pics.
    Sorry, can't remember who tried on a size 4...made me laugh. At 5'9", I never wore a 4 in my life. Wore a 6 for one deprived summer, but that didn't last!
    The riced cauliflower sounds interesting. I make the "south beach mashed potatoes" (cauliflower), and like it, so will have to do some research. We have a Trader Joe's here (love love), so might look for it.
    Discovered something delicious today. My older daughter was down for a visit and told me about La Croix sparkling water with various flavors. I'd seen it in the stores, but assumed it was a soda full of sugar. I got some Mango and it is really good! Super refreshing, no calories, no sugar, no artificial sweeteners. Daughter likes the blackberry cucumber, which sounds good too. Great way to get your water in.
    Lots of work to do around the house today, so getting to it. Have a great day, everyone!

Nancy D in idyllic (yep, it really is) Delray Beach
  • pitegny
    pitegny Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Yvonne - Glad you liked the soup recipe. My soup this week is watercress, which MFP's recipe calculator says is 178 calories per serving. I only made half the recipe, which is still enough for a couple of meals for my husband and me, and I added fresh tarragon. http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/watercress-soup

Tracie - what happy news about your 5-year check!

Chris - dropping from a size 16 to a size 6 is really inspirational. I hope something similar is in my future.

Margaret - your mercuric oxide trading info was really interesting; good luck to your husband.

Re - the book looks at how and why we eat, not at what we eat. I found his thoughts on binging interesting. He suggested that if we try to cut out what are our personal high sacrifice foods from and emotional or comfort point of view, we are doomed to binging. Instead he suggests that we should each decide what are the most important foods to us individually and try to incorporate a small amount of those on a regular basis. For instance, he encourages some of his clients (he is a psychologist) to plan to have a little chocolate each morning. That and some of his other suggestions make a lot of sense to me. It doesn't mean there won't still be binging days, but might help. The book is filled with anecdotes, so is easy to read. He himself has lost and kept off a lot of weight.

Marnie - food is indeed a temptation here. Ironically most French do not have problems with weight. Portion control is a big part of that. We travelled with two French couples through the Pacific Northwest last summer and they were aghast at the size of portions served in U.S. and Canadian restaurants. The French don't usually snack and tend to eat lighter at night unless entertaining. Those choices make it possible for them to indulge regularly on the lovely pastries and sauces. This may be changing with the younger generations. Unfortunately, I kept my food habits when I moved here 33 years ago from the States and my weight has been creeping up ever since. I am trying to change that now. Luckily we have access to several outdoor markets year round, so can fill up on lovely fruits and vegetables from Spain, which is the French equivalent of California.

NYKaren - hope you will sleep better tonight!

- Leigh in France
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    IremiaRe wrote: »
    calmrose wrote: »
    Hello Ladies, I have a question, perhaps someone else has had this problem. I bought a fitbit and started wearing in on Monday. I immediately noticed that my number of steps was low. I counted my steps several times during the day and checked the fitbit and it only recorded about 1/2 of my steps. Anyone know how to fix this? I'd appreciate your help. Thanks much, Rose in LA

I find that my Fitbit is pretty accurate - I wear it on my wrist - and I have told Fitbit which wrist I am wearing it on... the only exception is grocery shopping... If you hands are on the cart - your feet kind of glide... and you get NO steps at all during. Your arms have to move when you walk - or it doesn't register as a step. :|

I wear my Fitbit Alta on my non-dominant hand (left) and have it registered that way on the app. It's true that if you push a grocery cart it will not count your steps. I have found this also with the treadmill if you hold on. Otherwise I typically get a good step count. Also, while in Disney both mine and my daughter's Fitbit Altas were very much in sync with each other step wise at the end of the day. Checking our step counts became a part of the Disney experience this time around!

Cheri
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Good morning all!

Tracie - Wonderful news about your follow-up!

Chris - I'm trying not to have size envy, but a size 6 seems like sparkly unicorn! At my optimum weight I was never under a size 8. But that's just a body-type thing. Right now I'd be pretty darn tickled to fit into a 12.

Anne - About the leggings, have you discovered LuLaRoe? Their leggings are the very best - SO comfortable and fun. My LuLaRoe consultant does pop-up stores around town, encouraging my growing collection of leggings.

Toni - Ugh, isn't it mind-boggling how much glasses cost? I'm overdue for an exam and my glasses are really beat up. I've been putting it off because of other things that are also overdue.

I slept poorly and woke up out of sorts. Now I've got to hustle to get myself and the greyhound out the door for his photo shoot. Hopefully getting out in the sunshine will improve my mood.

All the talk about turmeric reminds me, I need to make up some new turmeric paste for golden milk (there are a zillion recipes online). I enjoy the taste and for awhile was trying to have a cup every day but with all the relocating a couple of years ago I got out of the habit.

-Yvonne in TX
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options