WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2017

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Welcome everyone new and those returning (you know a good thing when you see it!)

Nancy - how wonderful your friend noticed!

choklityum - I'm so sorry about your son and brother. How awful!

Volunteered at the Green Room today, then went to Bi-Lo, then WalMart. Newcomer bowling tonight

Rita - awesome at the docs!!!

Sue in WA - happy early birthday. I love to get a good massage. I know you'll enjoy yours

Carol - I'm sure you do really well styling your hair. I never feel that I do as good of a job as the hairdresser, either. We want pics!!!

pip - you are such an inspiration, I can certainly understand why that woman would like you to be her mentor.

Re - happy birthday to you dear

Marcelyn - good luck to you this weekend.

Michele in NC
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Barbie I've have missed you the last couple of days. I hope all is well with you <3

Janetr okc
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I just talked to my sister. She was scheduled for a knee replacement Tuesday. It was a revision of a previous replacement. I didn't try to call her Tuesday night since she usually has a lot of pain with her ortho surgeries. So I call Wednesday and the phone just rings, rings and rings some more. So I hang up and call later and the same thing happens. Her husband had told me that she was supposed to come home today so I called her house. Well she needs another day of therapy so is to be discharged tomorrow. So I call again and the same thing happened. Her husband says he hadn't been able to reach her by phone either. So I called the operator and she called the unit and had an aide go to her room. So we had a good talk. She can't flex the knee at all so she is a bit worried about that. As far as the phone, she said she saw it blinking quite a bit but it never rang. So she is going to report it. I was the person helping her with her therapy with her first replacement, she and her husband did it by themselves for the second. They think they can do this by themselves.

My new diabetic/orthopedic shoes came in today. When she measured my foot she said wide which totally shocked me because without my orthotic I was a narrow. So when I sat down to see if the shoe fit, he said he could immediately see that it wasn't going to work. My foot, not the shoe I was wearing was not wide. It could have worked but I could put my entire hand down where the toes were and my heel went up and down when I walked. So they ordered a medium. I was hoping I would be able to wear my new shoes to church on Sunday. But they came in in 2 days so there is a remote possibility they would come in on Saturday. Remote.

Lenora, my oldest daughter had a belly ache one day when I was at work. She had enough of a fever I was worried and I had a compassionate charge nurse on that let me take my lunch and break together and run home and check her out. When I got home, the pain was less but still had a fever so I went back to work. But as soon as I got off work I took her to one of the minor emergency centers here. He said it was just a UTI after doing a urinalysis. I wasn't satisfied at all and instead of going home we headed to the ER. Because of what the other doc had said, they went ahead and inserted a catheter. I don't know who was more humiliated, her or me. Here was this 15 year old virgin who was so shy about personal matters. We both cried as they put that catheter in. But they decided it was her appendix and after many hours of pain and fever finally got to surgery around 2 AM. The appendix had burst by then. She had an uneventful recovery everything was fine.

Joyce, Indiana
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,351 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday RE!

So many things I wanted to comment on, but by the time I read all your posts, my eyes are telling me it's time to get ready for bed!

Love the tips about the cauliflower crust and "mashed", the tips about the LaCroix drinks and am really thinking I need to check out the LuLaRue leggings! :wink:

Work comes early in the morning, so I'm headed to bed. Have a great evening ladies! Look forward to reading more about your days tomorrow.

Tracie in Wisconsin
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening My Dear Friends,

Kay, great picture of you and your mom. Sorry for the expensive skirt but wear it with pizzazz.

Traci, I hate to do it but when I get that far behind I just skip pages and start where I can read the last few. Yes, I always feel like I have missed things but it is much less frustrating. Just do what works for you.

Heather, so glad you got to a doctor but so sorry that it had not gotten any better on its own. I do hope you are feeling better by the time I get this posted. (((Hugs))))

Sarah, I know it gets hard to stay on track when the scale doesn’t move but hang in there.

Tracie, a huge congrats on the “all clear” from your oncologist. That is wonderful!!!!

Chris, good for you on turning down all the goodies when you got together with friends. Keep up the good work.

Margaret, sending good thoughts for your DH on his upcoming surgery.

Toni, that is fantastic that your eye sight has improved so much. Heck you could have just had them remove the lens in that eye and put in a plain one. Lol

Sarah, great picture of you and the girls. It doesn’t show a big space on my end. I never know where a picture will end up either. Lol

Paula, welcome. Thank you for the introduction as it helps us get to know you a bit. This is a wonderful place for support and information so come often.

Pip, you are such an inspiration that I’m not surprised the lady at the gym wants to be like you. You are the bomb!

Rita, congrats on the doc visit. Doesn’t that feel great? Keep it up.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto any Newbies. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

With the miracles of that work out yesterday the scale was down this morning. Lol I do have to say it was encouraging as it hasn’t moved much in months. Maybe I’ll work out again sometime. I woke up early this morning so it’s been a long day. Time to head to bed.
    Sending love, good thoughts and sunshine to all of you.
    I Love youwriting-a-love-letter-smiley-emoticon.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,351 Member
    Options
    Joyce: I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter! So glad they got her in and got the surgery done and hope she is on the road to recovery. The same with your sister.

Barbie: What kind of dog did you end up finding? Is it a puppy or adult? Rescue? I love dogs, can you tell? How exciting!

Tracie in Wisconsin
  • sherryminchagain
    sherryminchagain Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Re - Happy Birthday sweetie!
  • MrsGLT
    MrsGLT Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Re - Happy Birthday!!
    Day 3 of being on plan is complete. I still didn't make my step goal today.
    It's been a very stressful evening and I received a text from my daughter that she had been fired from her job. More stress that I don't need. Praying she doesn't stop and get a drink or more on the way home. She's an alcoholic and after 4 years of sobriety, fell off the wagon several months ago and hasn't climbed back up. She hasn't resorted to being a total lush either but hard situations make her prone to give in to temptation. She's trying to find a celebrate recovery group that she fits into. In case you haven't heard of it, it's a 12 step program like AA, but faith based.
    I'm still having trouble remembering everyone's names and locations on here.
    Hope you all have a good night.

Grace in Texas
  • AKcanookie
    AKcanookie Posts: 230 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    i7kr251sqy3d.jpg

Had a good eating day despite the temptations. The drug reps catered lunch and I stuck with the veggies - no fried foods, no rice. And fresh fruit. Then surprise! The 4 ladies in my department surprised me with an early birthday present, gift card and a frosted coconut cake! I had a sliver then delivered it around to the rest of the office - not surprisingly all of the women in our clinic (45 of them) were all in the mood for cake - coconut cake!! go figure LOL One of our group put in her notice today as well as another nurse - thats 8 quits in less than 2 weeks :-( Tummy bug is a bit better and I'm really liking those "tucks" things whew! they work much better than popsicles!!!

Sleep well slimmers!!!

Marni - thank you for the snow picks and the picture of the moose. Years ago I used a reader with my third graders that had the cutest story "Town Moose". A moose is roaming the town and everyone wants it gone. Two young boys catch it and keep it hidden to keep it safe. Sooo funny. It really captured the imagination of kids.

Toni in Tennessee

Thanks Toni - the moose was a bonus for having had to stay home sick from work. That story sounds like fun, I'll have to look it up.

pitegny wrote: »
    Marni - food is indeed a temptation here. Ironically most French do not have problems with weight. Portion control is a big part of that. We travelled with two French couples through the Pacific Northwest last summer and they were aghast at the size of portions served in U.S. and Canadian restaurants. The French don't usually snack and tend to eat lighter at night unless entertaining. Those choices make it possible for them to indulge regularly on the lovely pastries and sauces. This may be changing with the younger generations. Unfortunately, I kept my food habits when I moved here 33 years ago from the States and my weight has been creeping up ever since. I am trying to change that now. Luckily we have access to several outdoor markets year round, so can fill up on lovely fruits and vegetables from Spain, which is the French equivalent of California.

- Leigh in France

Thanks Leigh - the food sounds wonderful! And I can well understand your issue with portion control and oversized portions (or seconds) can become a habit that you carry with you - I’m Canadian living in the US and have related issues with “too much”. My husband does all of the cooking (his mum and grandma were chef’s in Denmark and later owned 2 restaurants in San Francisco after immigrating to the US) and he is a great cook! But I eat too much of it - lots of cheeze and sauces - meat and potatoes - desserts!!! .. and he does the dishes (yeah, I’m kinda spoiled eh?!)

exermom wrote: »

Marni - feel better fast. I'd honestly forgotten about taking the snow off the roof. You know why I used the key lime icing? I'd bought it on sale and wanted to use it up....lol Normally, I like to make my own icing, but I did want to use this up. Hey, I was just thinking, it just might come in handy for St. Patrick's Day...lol. Is that a moose visiting you??? Way cool (don't know if you all think so but I enjoy the pics. Don't know if I'd enjoy it in real life, tho)

Michele in NC

Thanks Michelle - despite being a gastric issue I don’t want to see any of the 7 Gastroeterolgists I work.. Too close for comfort! ..and yes we have many moose coming through our neighborhood. One lady moose delivers in the spring under that same tree for years now and its her kids that come back time after time - we recognise them by their markings. The city is a safe place for them to hang out in the winter time - yummy gardens and no predators except for unfortunate drivers. They are less aggressive in the winter time (and we don’t recommend trying to pet them!) Reindeer yes - Moose no.

Marni - Finished Day 5 of No Sugar. I will let you know if it moved that needle when I go to my weight loss nurse on Feb 1st.

-Sharon In Lethbridge

Sharon - thanks, I’m very interested in the sugar elimation - I think it would be a benefit overall with type2 diabetes

Rita - congrats on the 2 lb loss!

Pip - sounds like you have a fan there! .. good job Kirby & great pics - the portrait behind Kirby with you and the dogs looks really lovely!

Paula in Boone - welcome and thanks for telling us a little about yourself

Nancy D - yes indeed, the weenies have great expression in their eyes - thats how they get away with everything. The riced cauliflower is great in bean salad, as well as a sweet onion pilaf without all the carbs.

Deedle - welcome and it sounds like you’ve had quite an adventure the last couple of years.

Sarah Ont - thanks, glad you enjoyed the pics. Great pic of you and the girls! Neat video. I’m originally from Niagara Falls Can. :-)

Tracie Wis - congratulations! Wonderful news!!

Re - Happy Birthday!
    eudxolatxhpe.gif

NEW PEOPLE - welcome!

My word for 2017 is “Mindfulness” .. age 51, -28 lbs, 50 to go! 1200 cal/day

OSWxN2h.jpgOSWxm9.png

Marni/Alaska
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Paula: Welcome to a great group of supportive women. Stop by often and get to know people. :smile:

Grace: Your hip sounds like it is frequently painful. I have no advice but I hope you find a way to help it feel better. :flowerforyou:

Pip: Nice guidance for the younger woman. You rock! :bigsmile:

Rita: WTG!!! Your positive compliments and encouragement from the doc are a huge NSVs. :star:

Sue in WA: My mom had to take prednisone for a long while because she had temporal arteritis. She hated the prednisone and had problems with swelling that she attributed to it. The wife of a cousin has also had to take it for extended periods of time. She doesn't like it any better than mom did, but it is helping her with serious health problems. I hope you feel better very quickly. :flowerforyou:

Re: I'm joining it the chorus of people wishing you a happy birthday. I hope this is a great year. :smiley:

Grits: I hope they get your BP situation balanced and it doesn't give you any more problems. :flowerforyou:

Rori: I retired at the earliest time I could because of DH's health issues. It was a good decision. My employer provided health insurance for me until I was eligible for coverage under my retirement system & Medicare. I hope you're able to work something similar out with your situation. :flowerforyou:

Dr. Katie: I have tried La Croix and like it, but I get sparkling water at Safeway or Krogers because it is less expensive. The sparkling water I choose is unsweetened, and less expensive than La Croix. I really won't drink anything with artificial sweeteners since I read that aspartame has been linked to Alzheimers. :noway: My grandmother had it and I'm always wary of chemicals. She took sleeping pills. Mom blamed the sleeping pills for grandma's Alzheimers & I've read things on the web that make me think mom might have been right. :cry:

Pip: I love Kirby's shirt. Nice! :bigsmile:

Barbie: I'm so happy that you have everything ready for the new dog. I hope she has an easy trip and settles in quickly. I can hardly wait to see photos. :smiley:

Marni: I love your ticker!!!! (and the baby moose photos) :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart:

Heather: I'm glad you are starting to be able to enjoy your trip again. :bigsmile:

It isn't even 9:30 this evening and DH has gone to bed. I am full of energy, so I'll be up a while longer. I have a book to read, the fire in front of me and my dog at my feet. Life is good.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" -Audrey Hepburn

January 2017 Resolutions:

1: Log every bite and swallow;
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on strength and stamina.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least 3 glasses of water a day.
    5. Monitor sleep. Average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • pitegny
    pitegny Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Re - Happy birthday
    Sharon - your princess is lovely!
    Marni - sounds like you have the perfect husband! Mine is not bad, we split the task - he does all of the loading and unloading of the dishwasher and I do the hand washables.
    Joyce - re your daughter's appendix experience, you both must have been so scared and frustrated. I am glad that it turned out well in the end. Having had kidney problems as a child, I can relate to the catheter feelings.
    Have a nice day everyone!
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Anyone know how to copy a picture from facebook to here?
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    RE- Hope you had a great birthday

BARBIE- can't wait to see pics of new furbaby

Welcome all newbies

Kate UK <3
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Sorry trying to figure how to get photo from Facebook copy and paste didn't work