Replies

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    945076uyzon4w470.gif
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: You are a good friend. I'm sure your friend with cancer will appreciate your support in this difficult time. :heart:

Chris in MA: I love the photo of your son and rescue dog. Thank you for sharing. :flowerforyou:

Yoga today! I am so pleased to be able to go. I will have to skip a city meeting this week because of DH's upcoming eye surgery & I suspect I will also have to skip my Wednesday yoga class. :ohwell: I am hoping and praying for an excellent outcome from this surgery.:heart:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Morning!, Busy week, DH and DD are off on a quick trip to Jamaica (me: working :/ ) Looking forward to a week full of exercise and evening concerts. Neighbor will come over one night this week to share pizza and gossip! The 5 days will fly by and then off DD goes back to school.

All out of tips, but still working my strategies: dressing for gym from work so I don't skip, keeping an apple on the front seat of car to munch, and a big bottle of water while I make dinner so I don't nibble too much.

Chia Seeds: Yuck, they get stuck in my teeth like poppy seeds :s I think the only thing to do with them is grind them into smoothies.

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,926 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »

DH is talking about RV living so watched the Robin Williams movie called RV yesterday. Funny, not realistic, but some stuff like emptying the tanks and neighbors making him think. I am all for it, but I am not sure DH will like the tight quarters, or the small kitchen, or lack of storage..... lots of research first.

Rita from frigid CT

Before we bought an RV we read a book called "The Complete Idiot's Guide to RVing" It helped us first to decide that we wanted to RV and then to know what to buy to meet our own special needs. We owned an RV for five years and loved every minute of it, but one day decided to sell it and travel a different way. One summer we traveled in the RV for 99 consecutive days and learned a lot about our marriage. Have you ever seen the Lucille Ball Desi Arnaz movie "The Long Long Trailer"?

<3 Barbie
  • csofled
    Options
    Current worry :# : Heading to Walt Disney World in Orlando for a 5-day Mother/Daughter trip on Sunday! So very excited for this as our kids grew up going to Disney for every vacation as we lived in So Flo for 11 years and this is my daughter's first trip back as an adult! Hubs and I went back for our 25th anniversary and it was heaven...no kids! Anyhoo....what to eat!!??!! Both my daughter and I have been on MFP for quite a while. Very aware of what to eat and what not to eat. We have the Quick Service Dining Plan each. Provides 2 quick service (counter) meals and 2 snacks each day. I will be bringing protein bars and packets of oatmeal. The hubs says live it up and enjoy! Quite honestly that thought gives me a stomach ache!!!

Cheri
    in getting warmer College Station, TX
  • barbiecat
    Options
    Jlzb0101 wrote: »
    Just started MFP - I'm 52 and need to lose 60 lbs. I had no idea MFP was so easy and so informative, I'm pretty blown away. I've lost 3 lbs this week. Hopefully I can stay with it, that's the hardest part right? Any advice is welcome :) thanks for the thread!

We all know that broccoli is a better food choice than pizza and walking is better than sitting on the couch....what this thread did for me was to give me daily encouragement to make the right choices. I hope you'll keep coming back.

:smiley: Barbie from NW Washington where the streets are icy
  • csofled
    Options
    While I've seldom, if ever, feared my own death, losing those I love is an ongoing fear. And, since I've been in a philosophical mode already this week, I'll lay this one on y'all. I've been using it as a guided process ever since I found out about the whole thyroid thing, and it's helping. Please do not pound on my pointy little head about the religious overtones; the book it comes from is science fiction, and it is not from a religion, or at least not from an existing one.
    “I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
    Only I will remain.” Frank Herbert - Dune.
    I'm neither suggesting it for anyone, nor proposing it as a remedy. But what I've allowed it to do is help me sit down for ten minutes, repeat it either aloud or silently, and get up with my mind at peace. Getting my mind out of the "what if" hamster wheel has been enormously helpful.
    Love y'all,
    Lisa in West Texas - back up to 78 degrees today and 70s all week long. :)

Lisa this is just what I needed right now! I. Do. Not. Like. Flying. Which I have to do to get to and from my upcoming vacation with my daughter. I needed a mantra. I have copied and pasted this to my trip packing list right smack in the middle so I will see it all week as I add to the list and see it as I pack my suitcase.

Cheri
  • csofled
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Hello Ladies![/

Chia seeds ... so WTH am I supposed to do with these things? I made vanilla chia pudding with almond milk that promptly went to the trash ... kind of like eating fish sperm ...

Beth near Buffalo

I don't cook or bake with chia seeds but put them in my yogurt. I eat it before they get mushy so they add a bit of crunch. They are supposed to have a lot of health benefits though I don't remember all of them right now. I figure"what could it hurt".

Chris in MA

I sprinkle a teaspoon on top of my yogurt and eat them before they "swell" up too. I also put it in my water bottle and watch them swell up. Shake the bottle before swigging else they will settle on the bottom in a gelled mess.

Cheri
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,056 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    (((Heather))) I lost a good friend last summer. I found these rocks with love painted on them. I gave one to her daughter and one to her husband. I keep one for myself. Seeing that rock reminds me that love was the rock for my friend and she passes that strength on to me.

Beth fish sperm???? LOL I too when I use chia seeds sprinkle them on things like salads when I want to have a crunch. I have used them to make refrigerator oatmeal and then you are correct the texture does get a bit slimy.

Yes Beth the coconut oil is the cooking oil one. I just scoop out a small amount and put into a small jar to have in the bathroom. A little goes a long way.

Becca he looks so happy and healthy. Happy for all of you.

I found a series of exercises for my knee on you-tube by Dr. Jo. I started them today so we will see how they help. I do agree that movement is the key to getting the inflammation out of body. I just want to do it in a way where it does aggravate it more.

Reading a book on improving my sleep because the pain of my knee interferes with my sleep and also makes it hard to heal.
    These are the recommendations I am trying so far: electronics off by 8:30-9:00., Epson salt bath to increase my magnesium, no caffeine after 2:00 in the afternoon, tart cherry juice about an hour before bed, a snack of pistachios about 3 hours before bed again to up my magnesium levels. Since it is hard to get outside in the morning like he recommends I am upping my Vit D too.

Last night I still had some pain but I still thing I slept better with these changes.

I like how he talks about sleep is like an important date you are going to have and plan to try and make it the best sleep you can.

Part of why I am doing this is I think my sleep habits how contributed to my knee pain and my weight gain.

:heart: Margaret
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    kevrit wrote: »

DH is talking about RV living so watched the Robin Williams movie called RV yesterday. Funny, not realistic, but some stuff like emptying the tanks and neighbors making him think. I am all for it, but I am not sure DH will like the tight quarters, or the small kitchen, or lack of storage..... lots of research first.

Rita from frigid CT

Before we bought an RV we read a book called "The Complete Idiot's Guide to RVing" It helped us first to decide that we wanted to RV and then to know what to buy to meet our own special needs. We owned an RV for five years and loved every minute of it, but one day decided to sell it and travel a different way. One summer we traveled in the RV for 99 consecutive days and learned a lot about our marriage. Have you ever seen the Lucille Ball Desi Arnaz movie "The Long Long Trailer"?

<3 Barbie

I have seen The Long Long Trailer. What a hoot! DH and I have also spent more than one summer traveling and living aboard our sailboat, which can be considered a floating RV. It was a wonderful way to vacation, but neither of us has ever wanted to live aboard. One thing I have learned is that there are RV parks out there that won't let you in if your RV is an older model. I'd check that out for myself if I was considering moving into an RV.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    DH polished 6 sets of brass door handles and back pieces for a customer of his, to surprise them next time they come by the house he is painting. This meant he did not have to paint around the door handles. Did it over the weekend, inside because it was way too cold for him to stand at his truck's tailgate. So I had 6 sets of polished door handles, each on all the blank spaces he could make on sheets of paper towels and told me not to mix them up. So I cooked chili and rice for supper; and, will heat it up for lunch. Then off to the grocery store. When back, will get on the treadmill to exercise. Other than that, I am having a nice quiet day.

Lenora
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    <3
  • csofled
    Options
    Pip I am so lovin' <3 on your pet pics!

Cheri
    sitting with my pet watching The Young & Restless (my 1 and only soap since 1976)
  • barbiecat
    Options
    csofled wrote: »
    Pip I am so lovin' <3 on your pet pics!

Cheri
    sitting with my pet watching The Young & Restless (my 1 and only soap since 1976)

Lucky you, all my soaps went off the air years ago and I still miss them.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,219 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Karen - LOVE you on your snow plough! :D And your poor doggies out in the cold!
    My friend lives alone, although her boys are not far away. I am concerned that she is hoping to die at home, which i think is unrealistic without a constant companion, even if the nursing (charity) is first rate. I have brought up the subject of a hospice before, so we will see if she wants to talk some more. I'm not going to force a discussion on her. She might need to express her fears. She has very good friends, partly because she has rarely had a live in partner, or a natural family, and they are all taking turns to sit with her during her chemotherapy. I wish I lived nearer, as I used to, so I could be of more help. A lot of people tend to avoid the subject of dying, so I will just wait and see what she wants to talk about.

Today we went food shopping and I used the time in the mall to get my watch strap changed. It is so much better now and not in danger of falling off my wrist. :D

Had delicious mushroom risotto tonight. Double yum!

Tomorrow the estate agents are coming to take new exterior photos of the house, to keep the file up to date. The only thing we have to do is move the car. DH might give the gravel a raking. Then our painter friend is coming to cover up the water leakage staining on the kitchen ceiling from a couple of weeks ago. I have yoga in the morning. <3

Going to look at the clothes situation re Mexico. I might have to add a t shirt or so from the mall. I know I need socks. Maybe another pair of light, baggy pants. I like to have my flesh covered, especially in the jungle. We are going to several biosphere reserves and the Mayan ruins can be surrounded by thick tree cover.
    We were going to get our US dollars today, but the pound plunged this morning after some stupid remark by our Prime Minister. We hope it might recover later this week. :'(

Carol - Your grandchildren are adorable! I can't believe how much like you they look. Strong genes.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx