WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2017

Replies

• lizh9
    lizh9 Posts: 12 Member
    Hi Everyone,
    I want to join you and check in. My goals are to track everyday and keep my calories below 1200. I would also like to have a place to log my workouts. Nice to meet you all.

I took "progress photos" this morning. They weren't pretty. Also the scale is reporting the largest number I have ever seen. I don't want to freak myself out, just want to start doing the right thing.
    take care,
    Liz
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,106 Member
    edited January 2017
    I agree with what Heather said about starving yourself on 1200 cal. I believe that MFP sets your calorie amount at 1200 but you are expected to eat back at least half of your exercise calories. For example, if I exercise and burn 300 cal that plus the 1200 is 1500 cal and you should still be able to lose the 1 to 2 pounds. I know that when I go for a moderate walk which most of you do and get in 10,000 steps that is registered on my phone for an extra 300 cal. That doesn't even count when I do my kettle bell.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Heather UK~I have been at the 250 lbs mark for awhile, so yep, I am morbidly obese. 2 lbs a week is a bit strict, so if I lose 1 lb a week I would be happy. Pretty much its 300 calories per meal, and the rest a couple of snacks to keep me sated. The "fight" as I put it, isn't just being hard on myself, but just the re-commitment of being accountable. Living a life with smart choices. To eat meals that keep my "inner furnace" stoked. For me, no logging was quite easy, I just stopped trying, reality happens, and I slacked off. Didn't put myself first. I know all excuses.... but I was just trying to let you know that the no logging thing doesn't come naturally as it does to you. I commend you! (hugs)

When I get serious with my eating, making sound choices, I also have to pay attention. Food is fuel, food should be pleasurable, but my emotions can take over, then pretty soon I have put sour cream on each blasted vegetable on my plate. I have many trigger foods. I can also eat one item off plan, and think my whole day is ruined, and go into a not logging it day.... That becomes a no logging week... So I can spiral into things really easily.

I so would like to get my head at a good place. What worked well for me in the past was the idea that every meal was a snack, and every snack a meal. So no really eating until full, just a pleasantness feeling. Never eating until overly full. Upping my water intake and thinking of my containers as a "vitamin".

Lenora~Just typed to my middle son...and he just landed and on his way home. I can mentally rest now. It's always nerve racking when they are in transit somewhere, and I don't know quite where they are... When they are out to sea, its really nerve racking!

Becca
    Oregon

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,684 Member
    D.J.~ reason I am still doing what I have been doing is until you know what hits the fan.. want everything going along like nothing has changed... have to do what I gotta do to ,have a half way decent life post divorce...
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    beth so sorry about the flu hitting home, sleep in separate bedrooms if possible. I really stayed quarantined from DH's cold but it creeped in anyway- took NyQuil and heading to bed early. Don't forget to hydrate as much as you can, that can really help as well. Here's hoping it is a 24 hour type, fingers crossed

Dj this estate sale has been such a long term project! you are gonna feel much lighter when it is behind you.

Proud of eating from the fridge and pantry today--just have to keep to the plan and be creative with leftovers

NYKAREN
  • fanncy0626
    edited January 2017
    Those of you that are interested these are a couple of the best threads for information on calories eating back your calories and exercise.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach#latest

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants#latest

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Allie (((hugs)))) friend.... As a child of a divorce process gone horribly wrong, I can relate.... There has to be some normalcy somewhere! As a teenager watching my parents marriage of 26 yrs go down the drain, I saw the ugly. It sure doesn't help the process of divorce along that's for sure. I personally think just like you can have a great marriage, you can have a great divorce. I mean life doesn't give you guarantee's that a marriage should last forever. When it doesn't parting can be agonizing or civil. Especially when you have given it your all, and you both know its over. There comes a time when my parents could be in the same room and the air didn't become thick with hate, or mental daggers didn't come from their eyeballs.... Everything moves on. I am proud of you Allie!
    Becca
    Oregon
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Happy New Year to all. I'm going to work on healthier choices in 2017, with eating, exercising and avoiding negativity.
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Happy 2017!

I am pondering my resolutions/goals. I am going to track my calories, lower my carbs, and get back to the gym. I do think it will be good for me to set a weekly goal for myself - something to give extra focus to for a short time. As a former teacher I am all about stickers. So I will use little stickers on my wall calendar if I meet that one goal for the day.

This week's baby step goal is to overcome my couch potato habit. GET UP AND MOVE for 5 minutes every 30 minutes. I am going to do this at home and at work. I know it takes more than a week for a new habit. After doing this for a week, I hope the benefits of doing this will keep me going!

Barbie - thanks for keeping this thread going and thank you for your "happiness" list. It is spot on! I am going to paste it on my refrigerator.

Glad to have so many new ladies here. Come often to chat with us.

Good to have the travelers back home and safe.

Prayers for those of you with heavy hearts and personal struggles.

Toni in drizzly Tennessee
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    I'm glad I found this group. I'm 66 years old and keep losing and gaining the same 20lbs. I think I'm ready to let go of it for good. It is great to read the posts. I look forward to checking in with this group often.
    Thanks and good luck to everyone,
    Betsy
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,522 Member
  • fanncy0626
    Toni- that is a great way to do things! The sticker idea is fantastic! I have a journal that I use colored and glitter gel pens to write with and I put stars by my successes! I am a retired teacher too! When I first started I had the goal of getting up and moving every time there was a commercial on TV. Then I would set my phone alarm every hour to do three sets of 20 push-ups, 20 squats, and 20 leg lift. Especially in the winter time when it is extremely cold out. Thanks for writing that because that is a great way to get off the couch.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,060 Member
    Wow! The resolutions and goals you have all posted sound fantastic. B) How inspiring. Thank you all for sharing.

Barbie
    : Thank you for another great year of serving as the glue for this forum. Feel the warmth and appreciation I send you. Your snow is heading my way. Yay.

Busy day of cleaning, storing holiday decorations and cooking and freezing meals for the week. DH passed out today and toppled to the floor. He came to right away, doesn't seem to be injured and is resting now. Yes, I'm worried. He said he just felt 'tired' and that's why he went down. Shaking my head and watching him like a hawk.

Stay well, friends. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills
    December Goals and Final Results:
    Tabata training a minimum of 3 times per week- DONE
    Go ice skating at least once this month-DONE My profile photo is from the rink at Denver Airport
    Drink a glass of water with lemon juice every day-DONE
    Meditate at least 15 minutes every day-GOOD EFFORT, BUT NOT ACCOMPLISHED
    Be lighter (thanks Lisa for coining this goal)-DONE, although it’s only by .5, but I’ll take it. Net loss for 2016 = 6.8 pounds. I would like to lose about 10 more.
    Word for 2016: Optimism

January Resolutions:
    Re-read “Salt, Sugar, Fat”
    Drink water with lemon juice everyday
    Do something social every week
    Take measurements
    Practice Reiki daily
    Word for 2017: Attune.

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member