WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2017

Options

Replies

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Lisa in West Texas, pm me about RV living and details. We are considering this.

Rita in CT
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,051 Member
    Options
    Lisa wow to the quilt!

Did get to sleep. Slept 5 hours and then another 3. Feel a bit groggy. I think my biggest problem is I am over doing it. The treatment is rest with some short walking so it doesn't freeze up and exercises to strengthen the knee. It is hard for me to do the rest part.
  • gotu52
    gotu52 Posts: 315 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Sarah- Spanakopita?! Where do you live? I am coming over! Love that stuff! Enjoy your time with your daughter!
    I live in Ontario, Canada and you are most welcome, dinner is at 6:00 :)
    Sarah
  • MrsGLT
    MrsGLT Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hey y'all. I know it's been a while since I posted. I just wanted to say hi before I headed off to church this morning.
    I have to admit I've done absolutely nothing about eating right or exercising recently. I have been in a funk. The stress levels around here have me wanting to get in the car and drive till I run out of gas and stay where I land. I wouldn't actually do that but it crosses my mind, a lot.
    But I got up this morning with taking care of me on my mind. I'm tired of being tired and feeling older than I am.
    I'll be back later. I need to read some of the recent posts and try to catch up with what's happening.
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Hey, Rita... Actually wrote down a lot of it in my old blog https://goingmobileusa.wordpress.com. if you start from the oldest and work through to the last, you'll get a good picture of the whole process. Don't hesitate to message me any questions.

Lisa
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Lisa ~ Thanks for the link to your blog. I put the address on my desk top and will read it in bits as my concentration is short. LOL
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Margaret – Like I said; 5th graders take a lot of the stance their parents do when it comes to ‘history’. Yeah, the 2 famous generals were Robert E. Lee (for the South) and Ulysses Grant (for the North). If they had been encouraged by their parents to look up 10 facts about both; and, then decide (on their own) which man was greater and why (a lot would have come away with ‘thinking’ their general won), depending on whether they are from the South or North. Kids no longer understand about ‘debates’ and why it is important to ‘have the facts to defend’ your position’ and also ‘how to be able to argue about it by learning all they can about the other side of the argument’. Each one won their share of battles; but, the North had a better trained military. The South had young boys whose only experience in shooting a gun was to go ‘hunting’ to provide meat for their family. The North had much larger cities and therefore their army was powerful; while the South was mostly a rural area, depending on crops as their main source of income/trade. The South's army was a 'rag tag' group of famers defending their way of life. A great historical marker/location is in Andersonville (outside of Americus, GA) which was a ‘Confederate civil war stockade and cemetery’. The cemetery is still open for people of certain ‘rank’ in life to be buried there. My boss, a Federal Magistrate is buried there. My Pop and Mimi are both interred in Marietta, GA at their National Cemetery (because he had served in the military). Like Arlington … it was a cemetery for people of high military and government service and honor. There are conservative Democrats; and, there are liberal Republics; and, their ideologies have changed; some not letting go of the parties' former stances.

I'm sure the whole truth is more complex than two parties switching their main ideologies, but what is the truth?

Our boys were hunting for sheds when they were a lot younger on some land DH was hunting through a hunting club. They found a cast iron ball about the size of a golf ball with striations on it; it had to be some sort of Civil War ammunition. If it had been shot out of a gun/musket, it definitely would have caused some major damage or death for sure. One of the guys would go and look and he found a pair of glasses that appeared to have been of that era.

My parents’ home had been a Confederate Clinic/Hospital during the Civil War; and, they took down the gas lanterns in the house and hid them underneath the porch rather than to have the Northern Union soldiers steal them. They did not burn the house down because of that. When we moved into the house about the time I was 4-years-old the lanterns were found (after I came out from underneath the house with a 25lb cast iron grill) that I found up by the inside house foundation and the porch foundation. When I told my Daddy where I found it, he sent the son of our maid up there to try to find out what I was talking about – ‘the hole in the wall’. He came out with the first of two lanterns and the 5 globes that went to them, all wrapped up in sheets. To surprise my Mother, he sent them off to have them polished and wire for electricity. We had 11’ ceilings in the house and they hung down exactly where they needed to in order to provide light in the foyer and dining room.
    I still have the grill which I use as a hot plate by my stove. Strange thing is that as a child I played underneath our house and that of the widow next door who I always called, ‘that girl next door’ … she was in her late 80’s/early 90’s. Today, you could not find me ‘underneath’ any house before of my Arachnophobia.

Lenora
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    :) I had a good day
    Me too!
    Betty
  • margaretturk
    edited January 2017
    Options
    General Meade was in charge at Gettysburg for the Union. General Robert E. Lee the Southern Fores. The Civil War and the reasons it began and its outcome I agree with you are complex. The union did stop the advance of the southern troops at Gettysburg had they not the outcome might have been quite different. Regardless it is a very sad chapter of our history. I have tremendous respect for General Lee and his sacrifice for his cause was tremendous. I wanted to say that because often what is considered the losing side in history does not get its proper acknowledgement. The north also had many factories to produce the goods they needed to fight the war that the south did not. The reason we have Memorial Day is because of The Civil War. The southern women made sure flowers were placed on graves of their fallen soldiers on what was called Decoration Day. Those in the north also followed suit. It eventually became Memorial Day.

As you can tell I love history. I agree with you Lenora that students need more exposure to all of the facts so they can see a larger picture as to what happened. Hard to do when we live in the world of sound bites and tweets. Again my concern is students are making up Fake History. There interpretations did not fit with basic facts of what happened.

Also as a teacher I want students to be given the most accurate information available so they can build their knowledge on that information. I am also aware that as our knowledge progresses and new facts come to light we sometimes need to go back and rethink what we believed to be true. It is that process we truly help students learn to think for themselves.

I once took a class where we looked at a piece of art from the perspective of an art dealer, a buyer, the artist, and a collector. It was fascinating how the work of art was viewed by each.

Lenora I love your family story of their place in the history of the Civil War. What a wonderful way to incorporate pieces of history into your home. DH loves Civil War history. He asks where was your childhood home? Is it a private residence or is it a museum today?

:heart: Margaret
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,544 Member
    Options
    morning peeps

kjlamore - Floyd is not a service dog, but as he's gotten older (will b 8 this year) he's gotten more like rocky, who was a therapy dog and that I had trained the most. rocky was by far the most talented and trained and I taught him all kinds of tricks to show off.

10:18am, gotta hit the gym, Kirby is at work. type to ya later peeps
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies!

Went off to the gym this morning and tackled the elliptical trainer. Came away with "tingle toes". Burns more cals. than the treadmill and I can get my heart rate up nicely. Did intervals. Calorie burn is a fickle thing: machine says one thing, MFP says another and to complicate it more Fitbit gives another number?! Ugh...I just am comfortable in the fact that I am moving and burning calories however.

My suitcase arrived the day after I got home. Not sure where it spent the night-Dallas or Houston-and it had been peaked into by TSA as they left a note! Everything arrived back home thankfully.

Getting ready to watch some football with the hubs.

Have my mammogram tomorrow. Hopefully all will go well with that as the last one in Ohio they had me do an MRI and ultra sounds. I had a scare back in 2006 with surgery involved. Each gyno, breast surgeon and radiologist reads/interprets things a bit differently so I never know how far an annual mammo will lead. Also have a dentist appt. for a cleaning and check on my receding gums. My TAMU ladies group will be touring the back rooms of the George Bush Museum here on campus on Tuesday afternoon. Looking forward to that as the hubs and I have Groupon tickets to view the museum itself. Reading the next books for my 2 book clubs: Heroes on the Frontier by Dave Eggers. Read his book The Circle. Also reading The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins. Have read that one before but several in the group hadn't read it yet.

Sending prayers and healing thoughts to those in need and kudos and congrats to those deserving! Thank you for being with me on this journey!

Cheri
    in very WINDY College Station, TX
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Alison: Congratulations on your famous ancestor! I am an admirer of Robert E. Lee. He was a man of conscience and loyalty. Abraham Lincoln offered him the job of heading the Army of the North. Lee felt it his duty to support his native Virginia. Those men had hard choices to make. Arlington was Lee's home prior to the war. Property owners were required to pay their taxes in person in those days, and Lee could not go to the tax office because he was, by then, a general for the South and the tax office was in territory controlled by the North. The North seized his plantation for unpaid taxes and it is now Arlington Cemetery. You may have already known this. I think Lee was an admirable man who supported the wrong cause. I think slavery was an abomination. :flowerforyou:
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon sisters.

Lisa, interesting story of the quilt. What will the place ask as they have more banks to play. I'm sure that quilt may be getting some autographs if members of those bands come in.

My Mother always was sure she was an ancestor of General Robert E Lee. She had the stories of it from family just never could prove it. She wanted so bad to be able to provide the scholarships that would be made available for us if she was. She would be able to get so far in her search in actual records then it would stop. So she just loved telling the stories. And I am sorry to say I can't remember the stories.

Dad was the one who started the geaneology and had a huge very organized book on it. It was divided by family and also each individual person in the family. It was very interesting to find the actual ship the initial Peterson family member came over from Denmark. When they arrived it was Petersen and it was misspelled upon arrival. Dad's family arrived at Ellis Island, Mom's family arrived at the Port of Philadelphia. Dad's book included both him and Mom. Michelle wass the only person interested in looking through his book so when he Mom died, she got that book. So of course I got it since she had no place for it. It was quite a burden to make sure I added each birth, death, marriage or divorce on the pages they belonged on. If there was a birth, it belonged on the family page, then the parents page. Of course it belonged on a grandparent or great parent page also. It was Mom's dream to write a nonfiction book of the journey of the Port of Philadelphia to where they ended in southern Illinois. She had many anectdotes she had started to put together but that is as far as she got. We were talking about it one day when the family was together at Christmas and my sister's daughter voiced interest in doing that for Mom so the Bib black book is now in Arkansas in her hands. I am sure Dad would be shocked at how empty all the spots are. I doubt all the 'rug rats' have been added.

My daughter who had her whole department eliminated has a job interview tomorrow morning. As soon as she posted her situation on face book, she had a friend give her a lead. According to what this job is, one thing that would hold her back in getting a job is her clothes, her hair and the fact that whenever she gets any kind of blemish, She picks at it 'to make it go away'. This may be on her face, her arms, legs, wherever. She calls her wardrobe Goodwill chic. It's pretty bad. You can find a real nice wardrobe at Goodwill but that's not hers.

Joyce, Indiana
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,544 Member
    Options
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Today is nice and quiet! We went to church then had long naps after reading the paper. I had intended to go to our local protest yesterday (there were about 1500 people there) but was too tired after that sleepless night with Benny. Yesterday he paced non-stop until nearly 11 p.m. when he finally collapsed I guess from exhaustion! Me too! We even gave him several doses of valium. Today he is more perky and with it, but coughing a lot.

My job to day is finishing getting the Christmas decorations down. DH is off grocery shopping, a chore I usually do on Thursday afternoons! I hope there is no more of that craziness. I plan to look at my entire week’s schedule tomorrow and make sure I have the time to do what I normally do and start exercising again. I am still coughing quite a lot but think I can get back on the cross trainer and maybe do a short afternoon dog walk if it’s not too cold for him or me (right now the cold air makes both of us cough).

Mary: Oh my gosh! That sounds terrible. OK I will quit complaining! We had ice dams a couple of years ago but the only residual damage is stained ceilings in the upper level. We decided not to paint them then but rather wait until we do the whole house. They are not too big and only bedrooms upstairs, so no one else sees them.

NTKaren: Yes actually I have been to the doc. I went soon after the ED visit and again last week because I have bad foot calluses and one split entirely open and she checked my lungs again then (and sent me to a podiatrist!). They are clear now and I’m using the inhaler less, but my co-workers who have been ill say this one is taking 6-8 weeks to shake. BLEH! Thank you for your concern! How nice of you to take care of your friends!

Chickpeas: welcome!

JanetR and pip: I shall refrain too! 

Fancy (and others) sorry if my comment about the protest is offensive. I didn’t read your comments until I wrote mine. I agree we are all friends here and our job is to support each other!

Allie: how is life going? I have wondered about you and Tom while I was gone and hoped things were working out for you. I have never seen Beaches, but it’s on my list!

Jana: good job! Thanks for the advice and I’m glad you got to the gym!

Lois: congrats on your granddaughter! I too should latch on to the word “thankfulness” because I really do have tons to be thankful for!

Margaret: It is amazing how much fake news has been out there. As soon as my daughter went to college (!) last year, she only got her news from twitter, facebook, and other social media sites. She even came home once and asked me to explain why Hillary Clinton had been put in prison and barred from running for office. She absolutely did not believe me when I said that wasn’t true. And this is a smart girl! I had her look through papers and do an internet search with reputable news sources and of course she couldn’t find that story anywhere! She still uses social media for news to this day!

Joyce: how is your health?

Sherry: I did not know about your story but I am glad you are feeling some control over your life.

Nancy D: you are so right! My ex-mother in law (whom I adored) worked 3 jobs and took in renters when her abusive husband left her and she never complained. Thanks for giving me that message!

Beth: wow 58 in Buffalo! I had to smile when you told us to put our spoons away! What a sweet and kind way to put it! 

Heather: what did I miss? What is wrong? Sending you healing (although vague!) thought!!!!!

Penny at the Pole: hugs back at ya!

Sherry: those pics were cute!

Katla: I’m glad you are still riding!

Peach: now that is one big dog!

Lisa: that is a nice project! I didn’t see earlier posts, so is it a t-shirt quilt or wall hanging?

Toni: glad you are having nice weather! We thought of going to the (foot) bowl game since my brother and sister in law live in Nashville, but decided against it.

DJ: well I don’t’ feel so bad about the decorations now! 

Lenora; once I made hot-pepper jam NOT wearing gloves and later took out my contacts! OMG the next day I was in what I thought could only be hell as I put them in and bashed about the room in pain trying to get them out!

Marni: wow those pictures are beautiful and the dogs are blessed. We have a medically-fragile beagle. He takes 185+ pills a week (I haven’t added past 185 since we added a couple).

Margaret: hope your knee gets better!

Chris: you look lovely!

Sarah and KJLaMore: I am coming too!

MrsGLT: I am right with you on the driving! Let’s car pool!

Cheri: keeping fingers crossed for good mammo news!

OK ladies I need to get busy on those decorations or they will be up until next year. Take care all, Meg in Omaha

• ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday, everyone!

Yesterday was quite a day! I went to the Texas Capitol for the women's march. It was only a mile and a half and I wasn't sure I could finish it before my knee gave out, but I felt like I needed to do it. I was completely pooped at the end of the day, but I did it! In reality it was a lot more than a mile and a half, what with walking to and from parking, standing around for an hour before the march started, and not being able to keep a regular pace due to the sheer number of people marching. We had around 50,000 in Austin - men and women of all ages, and a lot of families with their children. Whatever your political opinions, I think you'd all have enjoyed this placard: "Don't make me burn my bra again - it won't be pretty this time!"

Anyway, I logged in over the weekend but didn't track. I did keep an eye on my eating, though. And I must have been more tired than I thought, because I slept ridiculously late today! Nonetheless, I'm up and walking today, and nothing hurts too much; I call that a victory!

I'm several pages behind so I'll have to catch up with your posts later.

Have a peaceful day.

-Yvonne in TX
  • margaretturk
    Options
    Mary I hope it is not the car I sold you. I did have AC fixed two years ago, so that should not give you a problem come summer.

Ice dams are awful too. I found out at the state fair the cause of them is the warm air from your home is somehow getting into your attic. Adding insulation can help as can if you have any canned lights (spotlight bulbs) changing the canisters to make sure they so not leak into the attic also helps.

I hope you, Meg, and I start having things calm down for us.

:heart: Margaret
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Mary ~ So sorry about the floors being ruined. I remember that you helped lay them and I know that was a lot of work. Prayers for you and your DH that you will be blessed and be able to make the car and house repairs.
    Carol in GA