Just for Today ..... Daily Commitment Thread- Start of a new year!

Options

Replies

• HGSmith0920
    HGSmith0920 Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    @Bex953172 I think your doctor is right about coming off the meds. I've been lucky. I've never had any reactions with meds that turned me into a zombie, but I have had some others before. My decision to come off of them is baby and spiritually related. It can definitely be scary. The few weeks up to the final meeting with my doctor I was a bundle of nerves, wondering if I should really do it. But now that I have started the process I feel like it was the right decision. The thing that has really REALLY helped me is the Calm app that everyone seems to be using now. I paid for a one-month subscription(which I never ever do) because I found that after the first few days of using it I noticed a marked difference in my mental state. In fact, I have been sleeping better than I have in years and I have had very little to no anxiety at all in the past week. It's just been amazing. I feel like a whole new person...and that's not the mania talking! Lol. I do a lot of walking and the other day, on my walk, the whole world seemed different. Colors were bright, sounds were sharper, my awareness to the world around me was so much more heightened than it has been in years. So as scary as coming off meds can be, I would HIGHLY suggest looking into guided meditation apps.
  • HGSmith0920
    HGSmith0920 Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Had a great day today! As I mentioned in the post to Bex, I really feel like the meditation has turned my whole life around. I spend at least 15 minutes a day meditating, usually more. And sometimes it's not even the typical quiet room, eyes closed kind. If I feel a bit of anxiety creeping up while I'm at work, I soften my eyes and focus on my breathing. Doesn't have to be long either. Just long enough to get out of my head and into something else.

I had a long day at work today, which included an hour break, so I went and got food and then sat on the couch in the break room and did a 15-min session. Had this afternoon happened a month ago I would have been a basket case. I ended up having a ten dollar difference(the first in like 4 months) because of a screwy deposit. But I didn't freak out, I just double counted my money, went through my work, realized it was there, told my supervisor and went about my day. We didn't find it but it was okay, I wasn't upset about it. I just kind of shrugged it off and closed down my drawer since it was the end of my money day. The second part of the afternoon was a half an hour of cold calling about old investment products. I called 25 people, got 7 on the phone, only sounded like an idiot on one of them, got no hits but I think the most important part about that half an hour is that I kept my cool throughout the whole time. Last month this day was giving me cold sweats. I HATE making phone calls. But I kept my head, didn't have any anxiety, just did my best, took it slow and prevailed! I was totally amazed at how well I did today.

The DH is working overnights tonight and tomorrow so I'm by myself. Well...Panda is here with me too! But I'm waiting for the "Got here safe" text from him before I can go to bed. Lol. Got an early day tomorrow too. So I'm gonna set some goals for tomorrow and sign off for the night!

JFT, 9/12/17

1. Log all food
    2. Stay in green
    3. Keep drawer balanced
    4. Talk to customers!
    5. Quiet time
    6. Yoga
    7. Walk/meditate during lunch
    8. Put food in crock before work
    9. Spend time with DH
    10. Bed by 11
  • cschmitz110515
    cschmitz110515 Posts: 3,492 Member
    Options
    The worst part is not knowing what to say/do to help my husband through it. I just try to be there when/where he/they need me.

That's all I tried to do for hubby and MIL. Just be there and take care of daily minutiae so they don't have to. Talk when he or she wants to. Good luck! You are in my prayers.
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Bex953172 wrote: »
    Is it normal to feel weird about life? Like, is this my life?!
    Sometimes I don’t feel like I’m quite real?! But I think that’s the meds.
    Or maybe I’m crazier than I thought?

I would say it is perfectly normal. Both the meds and just life. Nothing with being crazy. More like hormones.
    Is this my life? is a question I have been asking myself often through my life and very often lately.
    Or 'Is there something left of me?' Crazy questions, but as far as I know perfectly normal. At least for people who self-reflect.
  • skymningen
    Options
    I was planning on just surviving a stressful week with no additional tasks or plans... well.
    Got an email tonight from one of the people I applied with (and wasn't invited for interviews). There is another fellowship with an application deadline on Friday to be with his group and he asked me if I'd be interested to apply.
    I was dead nervous (read it when checking phone for time half asleep and way too early and of course haven't slept any more since). I am trying to calm myself down and not put too much into this short message and not let it rule my world right now.
    For now I am waiting for an answer from bf if he's as excited as I am.
    It would be a three year job. Where he lives. But he would need to commit to staying there, which is the problem at the moment.

Plans for today:

1) Stay calm, whatever reactions I get from anybody.
    2) Go to gym after work
    3) Call mum for her birthday
  • bookmeister86
    bookmeister86 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    @slittlemeister Yummy!!!! Yes French boyfriends/husbands DO make the best bread don't they??? I was sooooo happy mine could cook. None of my friends ended up with a man who could cook except for my other friend who also married a French man!!! Lol. They sure teach them right over there don't they? Since we're all talking geography, What region is he from?

They do raise them well! He really appreciates good food, which means that he cooks lots of nice food for me. What's particularly nice is that because I'm trying to lose weight he finds ways to cook healthy versions of French recipes (which are not light).

My only complaint is that sometimes he spends a little TOO much time cooking which we could use for doing other things! For example, at the weekend we can be at the mercy of his bread making schedule...

He's from the Loire Valley (a beautiful place full of wine). Where is yours from?
  • bookmeister86
    bookmeister86 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Day didn't go quite as planned - for some reason I got stressed and flappy and hence ended up snacking on chocolate bites my boss had brought in today.

Need to get a handle on this stress/emotional eating. Maybe I will try a quick meditation/tea instead.

Yesterday's commitments -

- Log everything I eat :smile:
    - No snacks except ryvita :'(
    - Be in the green :'(
    - 30 + minute lunch break :smile:
    - Meditate :smile:
    - Stay positive (even though today's work is not interesting) :/ Got a bit stressed, as above
    - Stay calm (even if colleagues are provoking) :| For once colleagues were actually not provoking so I didn't need to work on this one....
    - Complete errands at lunch :'( Didn't have time to do this as well as the meditation - need a longer break

Today's commitments -
    - Log everything I eat
    - No snacks except ryvita
    - Be in the green
    - Leave work by 5.15pm
    - Go to gym after wotl

- 30 + minute lunch break
    - Meditate
    - Collect photos before work
    - Send thank you email at lunch
    - Read paper on horizon scanning
    - Listen to music to boost mood
    - If feeling stressed, meditate/step away from desk for a tea (no emotional eating!)
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Fun geography fact: Bex lives in (or very near) the geographical origin of my (English) last name.

Do I? Lol!!

'Tis a county that starts with Ch. :)

Ahh yes lol!

Although Ch is a very big place

I'm not sure that your geographic knowledge is to be trusted! :) It is hard to think of anything in England as big...the entire country is half the size of my state--Oregon. I would love to go back and explore more--I've only been to London.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options

Monday:
    1. Do veggie/meal prep :) made green salad, Spanish tuna salad, Vietnamese bun bowls
    2. 12,000 steps :smiley: 19,885
    3. outdoor walking :) overdid it a bit...fire smoke is drifting back, not sure if I will be able to walk outdoors later...checked out a cool new bridge that connects three parks in town
    4. 60 minutes Zumba :smile:
    5. under 100G carbs:) 73
    6. under 1200 calories :)
    7. 8+ freggies :( 6
    8. 10+C water :)

Tuesday:
    1. Do MORE veggie/meal prep (salsa cruda, chicken salad, caprese)
    2. 10,000 steps
    3. 60 minutes Zumba -or- swim a mile
    4. under 75G carbs
    5. under 1200 calories
    6. 8+ freggies
    7. 10+C water
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,083 Member
    Options
    Fun geography fact: Bex lives in (or very near) the geographical origin of my (English) last name.

Do I? Lol!!

'Tis a county that starts with Ch. :)

Ahh yes lol!

Although Ch is a very big place

I'm not sure that your geographic knowledge is to be trusted! :) It is hard to think of anything in England as big...the entire country is half the size of my state--Oregon. I would love to go back and explore more--I've only been to London.

Lol I went to London after I passed my driving test!
    It was awful
    I got lost (with a satnav) and I didn’t understand the congestion charge so a few days after getting home my dad got a £180 fine lol!!
    He wasn’t happy.
    I did get to see a few things though! Which was good but meh, probably wouldn’t go back tbh! (At least not by car!)
  • Saragirl2
    Saragirl2 Posts: 630 Member
    Options

Loved reading the posts this am. You are all such an inspiration! Can't believe it's going into the 80s here in Boston, MA area. Cool am though so dog & I are heading to the coastal park she likes and then off to the vet's for check up.

Need to stay focused today, use timer as needed.
    Track everything, plan healthy afternoon snack.
    Scale was up but I will not get discouraged.
    Review daily "To Do" list.
    Aiming for 17k steps on Fitbit.
    Reduce stress by continuing w/planning & organizing volunteer commitments.
    Listen to a Half Size Me webinar.
    Drink 9 cups if water.
    Meditate w/calm app for 25 mins.
    Look up recipe for New England clam chowder. Prob not healthy but I'll share :smile:
    Early bedtime 10 pm. Actually got to sleep around 10:30 last night.

Have a great day everyone.
  • josephinebowman
    josephinebowman Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Good morning this Tuesday.
    I sort of aimed at yesterday's goals. No progress on cleaning the car. I am trying to persuade the kid to get out of bed. I can go drag stuff in house and then drag him out if he does not appear shortly.
    Today, I will observe and stay under calorie allotment. I will exercise for at least 30 minutes. I will monitor dishes/laundry, and put trash and recycling onto street. I will get kid to 13% or more in all lessons and he will attend his online sessions and do martial arts. In 8 weeks, I go to doctor for routine check-up-I will tell her the anti-depressant's dreams are worse than being depressed. I do like the sleeping mostly thru the night but this morning I had 2 dreams to recover and while I have already forgotten the first, the last one was so bad I cried. And, having just visited the scale, I have no redeeming news. It can only get better for the rest of day!
  • skymningen
    Options
    @josephinebowman Bad dreams are the worst. I know how this feeling after a bad dream can just stick with you for most of the day, no matter if you remember the actual dream or not. Definitely get your medication adapted. Actually, I would try to get an earlier appointment to do this than wait for 8 weeks. Please take care of yourself!

My day is crazy. It seems I am actually applying for another fellowship spontaneously and the deadline is on Thursday. I am jumping between excited and stressed out. Gym is rescheduled for tomorrow (if I can make time for it at all) already, as I did so far not have a chance to call mum during the day, so it will be in the evening. I am nervous. Bf was very supportive, even though the fellowship would not allow me to spend more than 50% of my time at his place, but also 50% near my family, so that's nice. And I wanted to tell Mum on the phone about all of this, but she seems already annoyed that I have not called yet. Yay. Hope that settles as soon as I can explain.
  • cschmitz110515
    Options
    Recap M 9/11 - Enjoy the beautiful weather this week, it won't be around for long!
    1) Walked dog 3.09 miles before work and watched a deer and her fawn feeding / running through city park, so graceful. = Happy me & happy dog :smiley:
    2) Meals & snacks have been prelogged for today / keep on plan / net calories green = Forgot we would have cake at work for co-worker's birthday. For once, it was a chocolate chip cookie cake from a bakery. I had an "inner" piece (not as much frosting) but ate the whole piece. Net calories red 74. :neutral:
    3) Complete at least 4 samples in test = Another sample with missing support / needs follow-up, and had "cake break" so only got 3 1/2 done. :neutral:
    4) Evening list: refill hummingbird feeder / birdbaths = done; wash 1 window (thanks @joan6630) = but I did locate the cleaning supplies & get out the rags bucket; brew tea for iced tea jug = done; prep veggies for snacks = done; sort laundry for T a.m. = done :smile: Not bad, and I logged some activity just to get my net calories down / see #2. :D
    5) Unwind 9:30 / bedtime & TV off 10:15 = done :smiley:

JFT T 9/12
    1) Washed / hung 2 loads of laundry before work. No dog walk. Evening, fold & put away / remember undies & socks in dryer.
    2) Push on sample testing / complete through #47
    3) Net calories green, or at least w/i 100
    4) Wash 1 window & check hummingbird feeder
    5) Unwind 9:30 / bedtime & TV off 10:15
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,216 Member
    Options
    , Monday, 9/11
    1. 2 glasses of water with each meal :)
    2. log all food :/ I was SO hungry all day. Hubby and I had errands to run, and ended up with a roast beef sandwich, which was OK. But then ... he wanted a McDonalds Shake (We got in the habit of getting these on our road trip to his brothers funeral). I was so proud of myself -- I got a Strawberry Bananna smoothie instead. 330 calories,versus 880 calories!! But, in the evening, I still ended up snacking too much on popcorn and juice bars. But ... I did work out in the morning, and calories were still below 1600. More than I wanted, but, could have been worse!
    3. concentrate of 10 serv of fruits/veggies :/
    4. lay out gym clothes for tomorrow morning :) I had them laid out, and this morning did not want to go! So , hubby went with me. We only stayed 30 minutes, but glad I went.
    5. get back on here tomorrow - be accountable :)
    6. keep calories within limits :/
    7. read response cards to remind myself of how I can look at Christmas, if I keep going :/

Tuesday, 9/12
    1. log all food
    2. remember water!!!!!! It is thirst, not hunger!
    3. 2 glasses water with each meal
    4. sip on water in the evenings when I sew
    5. lay out gym clothes for tomorrow morning
    6. go for a walk tonite, or go to zumba, since I only had a short time at the gym this morning
    7. start washing doors - wash 2 doors tonite!

@cschmitz110515 -- glad you are starting on your window washing!! Mine looked so good until I did the outsides though! I used vinegar/water, and I think it was too sunny out - they look a mess!! And these are the huge patio room windows, so high up off the ground. Hubby says they look fine, and once we get a rain, they will be OK, but they are bugging me. So ... I may have to redo them!
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Just for Monday:
    1. <29 g added sugar, <75 g carbs, increase protein :(
    2. Take a real lunch break ;)Yes but it didn't go as expected...
    3. FOCUS today and be productive :)
    4. Tune out negativity and drama at work with earbuds and music :)
    5. Listen to Podcasts for Half Size Me, Optimal Living Daily, Optimal Health Daily and Good Life Project ;)Didn't have time for Half Size Me, so listening to that one today.
    6. Walk today. Even if it's just to the end of the block and back. Get my knees working! :sWell, I used my lunch break to go for a walk. I had just started out and I tripped in the road and went down really hard on my knees, caught myself with my palms so I wouldn't break every bone in my face, twisted my back, hit my left hip, twisted ankle and my big toe on my right foot went right through the end of my shoe and poked a hole in it! Oh. My. God. I was mortified and in pain all at the same time. Needless to say, that was the end of my attempted walk and I'm in pain today. Went to bed at 7:00 p.m. with ice packs last night. Feels like whiplash in my neck and shoulders today. Hurt everywhere. So yeah...there I go trying to be healthy again.
    7. Hit my step goal :/(See above)
    8. Make banana bread for DH since it got too late yesterday :(See Above.
    9. Unplug early and in bed sleeping by 10:00 :)Probably my only accomplishment yesterday.

Had a majorly crap day yesterday. I'm in so darn much pain today that I can hardly move. It's beautiful outside but I'm bruised and scraped up all over the place. What a dolt I am.

Just for Tuesday
    1. <29 g added sugar, <75 g carbs
    2. Listen to podcasts...Half Size Me, Optimal Living Daily, Optimal Health Daily and Good Life Project
    3. Finish my Wound Provider class and patient build in MST
    4. Begin research for Ambulatory OB Stork class
    5. Make banana bread for DH
    6. Schedule either chiropractor or massage for whiplash pain
    7. Do bills tonight
    8. Early bedtime with reading and journaling one hour prior
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,083 Member
    Options
    I am not having a good day today.
    Got a pounding headache from the kids
    All my 3yo had done is moan and repeat herself over and over and over until I’ve ended up shouting.

It’s also “spider season” where all the feckers come inside because it’s raining. I hate spiders. Hate hate hate them. And for some reason our house lets all the big ones in :(
    I just tried to kill one with a shoe,failed and it ran at me!!

I’m now sweating and proper on edge and won’t rest til it’s dead.
    My ideal way of getting rid of spiders is putting a glass over it and then burning down the house.
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    So just an update from my side of things!

I’m tired. Very tired. Not really logging, not really watching what I eat but I don’t think I eat much anyway tbh. I’ve been skipping breakfast (mostly by accident)

I got to a point on my medication where I felt nothing. No sadness, happiness, anger.. anything. Just numb to everything. Which my gp says it’s time to come off them!
    Which is nerve racking for me as I’m pregnant and tend to go a bit psychob!tch anyway lol
    But I have my first telephone appointment for counselling on the 25th so hopefully if I manage to wean off by then the counselling should help me keep up my spirits whilst I get used to the change?
    I just don’t want to end up back where I was!

Got a few busy days ahead!

Is it normal to feel weird about life? Like, is this my life?!
    Sometimes I don’t feel like I’m quite real?! But I think that’s the meds.
    Or maybe I’m crazier than I thought?

Hey Bex! I have been on meds that ultimately made me feel nothing also. It's terrible. But it's terrible to feel like a psychob!tch too. So, it's a tough call to make. I've been thinking about going and seeing my doctor and asking if I can get off any of the meds I'm on too. I know they might "fix" one thing, but they cause so many problems in other areas that I don't know if the trade off is worth it. I hope you have a good rapport with your counselor. I struggle with them, personally.

I'm interested in how much the Calm app has helped @HGSmith0920. If I could control the anxiety I get with an app, I'd be all in! heck, I'd buy a lifetime membership! That sounds wonderful. I have to try that out...

Also, I have found myself stopping and taking stock of my life a lot lately. I think it is part of my depression sometimes because I look around at where I am and think about where I thought I'd be by this point in life and they do not match at all! Sometimes it makes me sad because I feel like I'm running out of time to do the things I always wanted to do...but then I have to pull myself out of it quick and remember all the things in life I'm grateful for. It works for me nearly 98% of the time!

xoxox
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    I am not having a good day today.
    Got a pounding headache from the kids
    All my 3yo had done is moan and repeat herself over and over and over until I’ve ended up shouting.

It’s also “spider season” where all the feckers come inside because it’s raining. I hate spiders. Hate hate hate them. And for some reason our house lets all the big ones in :(
    I just tried to kill one with a shoe,failed and it ran at me!!

I’m now sweating and proper on edge and won’t rest til it’s dead.
    My ideal way of getting rid of spiders is putting a glass over it and then burning down the house.

If I had a spider run at me, I'd freak right the #%&@ out!!!! I hate spiders!!!!!!!!! It gets expensive to get rid of them by burning down houses all the time though. I hope you find that sucker and kill it quick!
  • cschmitz110515
    Options
    [*] Take a real lunch break ;)Yes but it didn't go as expected...
    [*] Walk today. Even if it's just to the end of the block and back. Get my knees working! :sWell, I used my lunch break to go for a walk. I had just started out and I tripped in the road and went down really hard on my knees, caught myself with my palms so I wouldn't break every bone in my face, twisted my back, hit my left hip, twisted ankle and my big toe on my right foot went right through the end of my shoe and poked a hole in it! Oh. My. God. I was mortified and in pain all at the same time. Needless to say, that was the end of my attempted walk and I'm in pain today. Went to bed at 7:00 p.m. with ice packs last night. Feels like whiplash in my neck and shoulders today. Hurt everywhere. So yeah...there I go trying to be healthy again.
    [*] Hit my step goal :/(See above)

Had a majorly crap day yesterday. I'm in so darn much pain today that I can hardly move. It's beautiful outside but I'm bruised and scraped up all over the place.

Oh my goodness! Your fall sounds horrible. :s Take care of yourself, and forget any step goals!

When I strained my back recently, I spent one entire day doing absolutely nothing. My Fitbit showed I had ZERO hours out of 14 with 250+ steps. And you know what? I could care less. It was about feeling better without injuring myself further. FYI, I have also had trips & falls walking the dog. Once slipped on ice, had a big egg on the back of my head, and warned hubby to check on me hourly in case of concussion. I did not want to wake up dead. :smiley:

Maybe relax with your essential oils? Feel better soon! :smile: