Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Giving up sugar for good

Options
Ty_Floyd
Ty_Floyd Posts: 102 Member
Interesting long read by Gary Taubes in The Guardian today about sugar's addictive effects and the futility of trying to "moderate" its consumption. He also makes the interesting observation that people tend to define moderation as "whatever works for them". Anyway, it's all enough to convince me...
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/jan/05/is-sugar-worlds-most-popular-drug

Replies

• Ty_Floyd
    Options
    Nope.

Hey, you must be a speed reader if you read that piece in four minutes! (;-)
  • Ty_Floyd
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Incoming.

I'm not sure what this means. Please enlighten me.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Ty_Floyd wrote: »
    Ty_Floyd wrote: »
    They even put sugar in Camel cigarettes apparently! Never knew that. Glad I quit smoking...

You're glad you quit smoking because of the sugar content in cigarettes?

That was my little joke.

I got it.
  • Ty_Floyd
    Options
    I really must be a special freak snowflake then because I can eat sugar in moderation no problem. OP-if you feel that you need to eliminate it and actually think that it will be sustainable for you, for the rest of your life then you got to do what you got to do. But, I've figured out how to continue eating all the foods I like while hitting my health and weight goals. This is what's sustainable for me, for the next 40+ years.

Or perhaps the ill-effects may be so insidious that you won't notice them until it's too late. I sincerely hope that is not the case, obviously.
  • jmp463
    jmp463 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    This debate seems like the Global Warming debate - but only in reverse. Makes me realize how this site truly models real life. Where the strongest over-power the weak.
This discussion has been closed.