Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Giving up sugar for good

Options

Replies

• duchessnic
    duchessnic Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    OK. I would like to point out one thing about the article. Of course, babies will prefer sugar water over plain water. Breast milk is sweet. The one thing about tracking calories that I have learned is that 1200 calories a day doesn't provide room for straight up sugar. If I want to eat anything of good substance, I have to do away with soda, butter, and sugar. Thank God for spices!
  • Ty_Floyd
    Ty_Floyd Posts: 102 Member
    Options

But -- at least in the US -- all of those will be listed on the label as a single count for sugar. It doesn't matter how you split it up on the ingredients list, you still need to report total sugars. And unless you're claiming that active fraud is going on, it's hard to understand how something is "hidden" if a label tells me there are 12 grams of sugar in a serving and there are actually 12 grams of sugar in a serving.

The total sugar portion of the label actually makes it *easier* for me to understand how much sugar is in something. I don't need to know all the various names for sugar. I just need to look at that line to understand how much I'm getting per serving.
    tlflag1620 wrote: »

Don't confuse the ingredients label with the nutrition facts label. Yes, there are a lot of names for what amounts to the same thing (sugar). But the carbs are always listed, and under than the amount of sugar (in g per serving) and fiber (in g per serving). The remainder of carbs are starch. You can figure out how much sugar is in a serving of any given product, without memorizing the various names of different sources of sugar. And with the new labels "added sugar" will be a separate line item. So if the goal is to reduce added sugar, you will have an easier time ferreting out how much is naturally occurring and how much was added (not that it much matters, sugar is sugar).

Thank you. Yes I, see now I was referring to the "ingredients list" rather than the "nutritional info label". I think the practice is still sneaky and that the average man on the street might make the same mistake.

• 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    duchessnic wrote: »
    OK. I would like to point out one thing about the article. Of course, babies will prefer sugar water over plain water. Breast milk is sweet. The one thing about tracking calories that I have learned is that 1200 calories a day doesn't provide room for straight up sugar. If I want to eat anything of good substance, I have to do away with soda, butter, and sugar. Thank God for spices!

You can have those things, and still lose weight. It is all about moderation and self control. If you don't learn this, you may be in the over 80% that regain the lost weight.

• Ty_Floyd
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    All I'm gonna say is that I've had friend's and family who were drug addicts...I've seen them in withdrawal and recovery and I see how they continue to struggle even years later...when I gave up Mt Dew it wasn't even remotely the same thing...

"Sugar addiction" is a bunch of BS...

As another poster mentioned earlier, have you ever seen the program "My 600 Pound Life"? Or how many people even here have lost weight time and again only to regain it overeating sweet foods? Maybe it's just not a problem for you. Personally I can take or leave booze but I don't deny that alcohol addiction is a problem for a lot of people.
  • Ty_Floyd
    Options
    birdtobe wrote: »
    @Ty_Floyd I find it frankly amazing how angrily people are reacting to the information you presented quite neutrally.

I find it quite surprising as well. But then I am relatively new to this discussion board.
    birdtobe wrote: »
    For me, sugar may not have been as addicting as cocaine, but since reducing it drastically from my diet (going from a ridiculous 125g or something per day!) to a more sensible 24g per day has made a world of difference in my cravings. I think there are other people for whom that is also true. Do I believe that sugar is a drug? Nah. Do I think trying to avoid it as much as possible is very beneficial *for some people* in controlling cravings? Absolutely. I'm glad I discovered people like Taubes because it helped me think hard about what sugar does to my body and make thoughtful choices about how much of it I want to consume. Maybe the article you shared will have the same impact on others. Thanks for posting it.

I hope so too! Thanks for sharing your story—very inspiring!

• Ty_Floyd
    Options

Sooooooooooooo....if I eat my honey from a bear squeeze bottle, it's addictive, but if I break into a bee tree and eat it out of the comb with muh bear paws...it's not addictive? Please explain.

Er, yes—exactly. That is the theory (the refined/concentrated substance induces an intensity of pleasure/dopamine rush that one doesn't get with the unrefined substance).

• charlenekapf
    charlenekapf Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I take it OP isn't following the Ice Cream and Abs channel on youtube.com :)
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Ty_Floyd wrote: »

Sooooooooooooo....if I eat my honey from a bear squeeze bottle, it's addictive, but if I break into a bee tree and eat it out of the comb with muh bear paws...it's not addictive? Please explain.

Er, yes—exactly. That is the theory (the refined/concentrated substance induces an intensity of pleasure/dopamine rush that one doesn't get with the unrefined substance).

And there is why most here think the theory is crap.

BTW, this site has a swear word filter so if the last word I typed in the line above is considered a swear word, it will be changed to *kitten*.

Huh. Guess "crap" isn't a bad enough word.
  • Ty_Floyd
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Have you ever seen someone coming off of meth? Sorry bub...not going to convince me.

I'm sure the withdrawal process comes with varying degrees of pain according to the drug. Apparently alcohol withdrawal is physically hardest on the body (one can actually die from going cold turkey) while, say, nicotine withdrawal is fairly mild and perhaps "sugar withdrawal" might be on a par with that.

This discussion has been closed.