Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Giving up sugar for good

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    Sugar, just like anything else, can become addicting to people prone to addiction and compulsive behaviors. It has little (if anything) in my opinion to do with the sugar itself.

I have had issues with eating disorders, substance abuse, compulsive shopping, and over exercising. There are plenty of people who go their whole lives eating what they want, taking medications, shopping, and working out without problems moderating. Those things aren't where the problem was. The problem was with me.
    It's more a disorder rather than an addiction.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Ty_Floyd wrote: »
    RAinWA wrote: »

I really wish people would stop listening to this kind of low intellect fear-mongering.

/rant

And I really wish people would read the article before commenting!

We're all pretty familiar with Taubes and his articles...

Also, I had a Reece's Peanutbutter Cup yesterday...is that moderation?

I don't eat much in the way of added sugars...I don't think sugar is so much the issue as is over consumption...but the notion that it's a "drug" and moderating intake is futile is asinine. Sugar is nothing new...we've been consuming sugar since the dawn of time.

I am more than capable of having a cookie and going about the rest of my day...or having a Reece's, etc. It's not like I eat a cookie and then proceed to eat all of the cookies.

Sure, I would consider one Reece's PB cup moderation.

I have definitely eaten one cookie and not been able to stop! That's why I don't have Thin Mints or Oreos in the house. I do ok with individually wrapped Ghirardelli squares or mini cups of ice cream. I'm working on being able to moderate a pan of brownies. I can stop at a serving, but am having that serving when it doesn't fit into my calorie budget.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    It's a good article. It definitely would be helpful if people read it before commenting because he doesn't say "sugar is a drug". It is more along the lines of sugar could possibly be considered a drug because of the way it affects some people. He doesn't say everyone. He does say sugar should be looked at more closely for the effect it has on (some) people.

He writes that it may create problems for some people, health wise, but you won't know it until 20 years down the road when it is a bit late. The health problem is there. He encourages scientists and the government to look into how little sugar is too much.

Granted, I am a fan of his writing - I don't think he won his journalistic awards for writing woo - but I don't think this article is that out there. He questions sugar's nutritional and health value. A fair question in my mind. If people eat it, meaning a lot of it, they should know what sugar can do for or to them beyond giving a few moments of pleasure while ingesting it.

Sugar is some new substance that needs studying and we won't know for another 20 years? That doesn't even make sense...sugar is nothing new.

New? Who said new?

Although the amount of sugar people now consume is is relatively new. It seems to go up each decade.

Acting like we won't know anything for 20 years makes it seem like it's some new substance...we've been consuming sugar since the dawn of time.

In general I think people who eat the SAD eat too much sugar...over consumption is the issue, not sugar itself. I just really don't get the "quit sugar for good stuff"...again, there's a whole middle ground but people seem to want to be extreme in absolutely everything.

The notion that one can't moderate sugar in asinine...we've been moderating sugar for millions of years.

This is also the same kind of crack pot BS that makes people question whether they should have an apple...it's utter stupidity.

Perhaps I didn't type that clearly enough. An individual will not know if his sugar consumption is creating future problems for him until the problem makes itself known - often 20, 30, 40+ years down the line.

Taubes' point with this is that we don't know how little sugar is too much for each person. Erring on the low side, which may be close to no sugar at all, may be the safest bet.

I disagree that we've been moderating sugar for millions of years. Sugar consumption is increasing. A lot. That's not moderating in my mind. That's more of a mindset of there is more sugar so I will eat sugar. IMO.
    So really your issue is with OVER CONSUMPTION. But doesn't that go for ANYTHING?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    I've given up sugar (or mostly given it up) not for weight loss purposes but for gout purposes. I've read some scientific articles that say fructose is way bad for gout. I believe it!

gout can be caused by eating certain things not just fructose. my husbands gout flares up if he eats too much pork, an uncle had it and it would flare up if he ate pickled banana peppers. it has to do with uric acid production. if fructose causes it(which it states it can) then you would have to watch fruits and some veggies as well as they are mainly fructose. not to mention certain medical issues,diet,weight,age,etc all are risk factors in gout..if you suffer from gout its best to avoid things that can cause it/flare ups. if you know a certain food causes a flare up you avoid that food.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I really wish people would stop listening to this kind of low intellect fear-mongering.

/rant

I don't eat much in the way of added sugars...I don't think sugar is so much the issue as is over consumption...but the notion that it's a "drug" and moderating intake is futile is asinine. Sugar is nothing new...we've been consuming sugar since the dawn of time.

I am more than capable of having a cookie and going about the rest of my day...or having a Reece's, etc. It's not like I eat a cookie and then proceed to eat all of the cookies.

I have definitely eaten one cookie and not been able to stop! That's why I don't have Thin Mints or Oreos in the house. I do ok with individually wrapped Ghirardelli squares or mini cups of ice cream. I'm working on being able to moderate a pan of brownies. I can stop at a serving, but am having that serving when it doesn't fit into my calorie budget.

It took me a long time to learn to moderate cookies, ice cream, etc. It's some hard work, but it was well worth doing. I made 6 carrot muffins a few days ago. I still have three left. I haven't tried this with brownies though.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

/rant

It took me a long time to learn to moderate cookies, ice cream, etc. It's some hard work, but it was well worth doing. I made 6 carrot muffins a few days ago. I still have three left. I haven't tried this with brownies though.

I like to make a mug brownie when I'm really craving it. Just mix it up in a mug and pop it in the microwave for a single serving brownie. Boom - no need to worry about moderating leftover brownies or trying to resist licking the leftover batter from the mixing bowl, LOL

I love mug brownies for that! I haven't had one in a while though. Maybe today, but I still have those carrot muffins, and a bunch of Christmas cookies I'm still working my way through, and a chunk of Christmas cake that I have refused to open, because I have trouble moderating that. Right now, I keep telling myself it's moldy. :laugh:
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

/rant

I like to make a mug brownie when I'm really craving it. Just mix it up in a mug and pop it in the microwave for a single serving brownie. Boom - no need to worry about moderating leftover brownies or trying to resist licking the leftover batter from the mixing bowl, LOL

I love mug brownies for that! I haven't had one in a while though. Maybe today, but I still have those carrot muffins, and a bunch of Christmas cookies I'm still working my way through, and a chunk of Christmas cake that I have refused to open, because I have trouble moderating that. Right now, I keep telling myself it's moldy. :laugh:

We still have some leftover Christmas candy in the freezer that we are slowly making our way through, so I feel your pain :lol:

If you do decide to make one, this is my favorite one to make: http://www.food.com/recipe/microwave-chocolate-mug-brownie-349246

The whole thing is ~600 calories, but since it doesn't use egg it's really easy to cut it in half. And it stays gooey in the middle, so it's almost like a lava cake or something.

Now I think I want one too!
  • nutmegoreo
    Options

/rant

We still have some leftover Christmas candy in the freezer that we are slowly making our way through, so I feel your pain :lol:

If you do decide to make one, this is my favorite one to make: http://www.food.com/recipe/microwave-chocolate-mug-brownie-349246

The whole thing is ~600 calories, but since it doesn't use egg it's really easy to cut it in half. And it stays gooey in the middle, so it's almost like a lava cake or something.

At 600 calories, that's a splurge. Although it would give me the chance to test the "can I eat half the brownie and leave the other half for tomorrow" concept. I shall bookmark this for another time! Thank you!
  • getoffin1year
    getoffin1year Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Watch TedEd's three minute video on sugars effect on the brain. Is causes a dopamine release consistently while brocolli doesn't. Sex isn't a drug, but some people sure get addicted to that for the same reasons...

Puppies and kittens aren't a drug, music isn't a drug, laughter isn't a drug...well...it IS said to be medicine, so perhaps we should have Taubes and other puritanical nags, scolds and assorted misanthropes working to quantify its damage potential, regulate it and yank it out of people's lives so nobody gets a dopamine hit from anything, and we all sit around with our joyless lives eating only thin amaranth-and-flaxseed gruel and broccoli. Sounds super healthy!

In the meantime, I'll personally just work on eating common-sense, modest amounts of sugar, like moms have been telling their kids for years, and maybe get a beehive and hide it from the sugar police.

There's nothing wrong with laughing and music or in general the release of dopamine. Its the addiction to a negative behavior that causes that that were discussing.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options

/rant

Y

You just reminded me that I have some leftover Christmas candy in a dresser that I hid from myself. I'll have to distract myself to forget about it again lol.

• Ty_Floyd
    Ty_Floyd Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I really must be a special freak snowflake then because I can eat sugar in moderation no problem. OP-if you feel that you need to eliminate it and actually think that it will be sustainable for you, for the rest of your life then you got to do what you got to do. But, I've figured out how to continue eating all the foods I like while hitting my health and weight goals. This is what's sustainable for me, for the next 40+ years.

Or perhaps the ill-effects may be so insidious that you won't notice them until it's too late. I sincerely hope that is not the case, obviously.

Humans have been consuming sugar since the dawn of time...

But not in its current refined state. Similarly (as the article points out) if you chew a bunch of coca leaves you might get a mild effect but nothing like the addictive hit of pure cocaine.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    mamadon wrote: »

/rant

Y

You just reminded me that I have some leftover Christmas candy in a dresser that I hid from myself. I'll have to distract myself to forget about it again lol.

Sorry :naughty:

I will try not to hand out any more naughty cravings in this thread! :lol:
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    Sugar, just like anything else, can become addicting to people prone to addiction and compulsive behaviors. It has little (if anything) in my opinion to do with the sugar itself.

I have had issues with eating disorders, substance abuse, compulsive shopping, and over exercising. There are plenty of people who go their whole lives eating what they want, taking medications, shopping, and working out without problems moderating. Those things aren't where the problem was. The problem was with me.
    It's more a disorder rather than an addiction.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Some believe addiction, or tendancy towards addiction, is a mental/personality disorder. That's the point. It's the person...not the substance or activity
This discussion has been closed.