Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Giving up sugar for good

Options

Replies

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Addicted:
    adjective
    devoted or given up to a practice or habit or to something psychologically or physically habit-forming (usually followed by to):
    to be addicted to drugs.
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I admit my knee jerk reaction to sugar being addictive has in the past been incredulity. I'm still skeptical, but I’ll accept it's possible that some people may have a brain disorder where they respond to sugar like it's an addictive drug. What are the necessary components for a substance to be classified as a drug? I only skimmed the article so far, so my apologies if that gets delineated.

What’s hard for me is the compulsive appetite increase sugar can sometimes give me, but I don’t think that makes it a drug. Because of the way sugar can impact me though, I eat it in a way that avoids triggering that reaction in me. It’s not a reaction based on “This is yummy and I want more.” I can get the reaction from ketchup, which I don’t even like! ;)

I can see how others who experience a similar reaction could then suspect they’re “addicted” but I think what I experience is a transient response, not an addiction. But I’ll keep an open mind. Others may have something different going on.
  • Ty_Floyd
    Ty_Floyd Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

There is no withdrawal...a craving is different than withdrawal symptoms...this is just perpetuating nonsense.

Cravings are just one of the symptoms of withdrawal. People who have given up sugar also report other withdrawal symptoms, including: anger, anxiety, appetite changes, depression, dizziness, fatigue, flu-like symptoms, headaches, insomnia, irritability, mood swings, shakes, and sleep changes. Again quite similar to quitting nicotine!

• Ty_Floyd
    Ty_Floyd Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Ty_Floyd wrote: »

There is no withdrawal...a craving is different than withdrawal symptoms...this is just perpetuating nonsense.

Cravings are just one of the symptoms of withdrawal. People who have given up sugar also report other withdrawal symptoms, including: anger, anxiety, appetite changes, depression, dizziness, fatigue, flu-like symptoms, headaches, insomnia, irritability, mood swings, shakes, and sleep changes. Again quite similar to quitting nicotine!

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-29126872

It's a behavioral issue...

Back 'atcha! (:-)
    http://abc13.com/health/study-sugar-is-as-addictive-as-cocaine/533979/

Seriously though, I think we can agree that the medical profession is divided on the issue and there is no definitive research yet, which again is one of the points Taube's article makes...

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-29126872

It's a behavioral issue...

Back 'atcha! (:-)
    http://abc13.com/health/study-sugar-is-as-addictive-as-cocaine/533979/

Seriously though, I think we can agree that the medical profession is divided on the issue and there is no definitive research yet, which again is one of the points Taube's article makes...

Enjoy your excuses....

If you truly feel you are addicted then you are simply letting it control you...
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    On another note, what's with all this "kitten" stuff? Someone please explain so I can be in on the joke too. (:-)

Staying out of the usual sugar arguments (they're a dime a dozen here), but the kitten thing is something MFP does to replace a word that's considered "naughty." No private jokes, unfortunately.
This discussion has been closed.