Done with it!

Options

Replies

• BiomedDent
    BiomedDent Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    BiomedDent wrote: »
    Do whatever works for you. It's better to do a plan/program and get out of dangerous weight bracket than to try CICO and not succeed because your mind ultimately needs the plan/program to follow to succeed.

Lots of armchair dietitians/doctors on here. Do not listen to them. Even nutritionists are just glorified calorie counters.

Only genuine accurate diet advice can come from a dietitian and they will say-find what works for you and give you guidance.

This always makes my eye twitch a little...all plans are CICO...CICO =/= calorie counting...it's an energy equation. I don't calorie count, so I have no issues with people following whatever plan really...some are better than others.

I know that all plans are essentially restricting calories in the end but some people need the structure of a plan to achieve a calorie deficit instead of just calorie counting from the off.

Some people can just simply log calories. Some people need a new structure plan like low carb, or slim fast etc etc

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    Do whatever works for you. It's better to do a plan/program and get out of dangerous weight bracket than to try CICO and not succeed because your mind ultimately needs the plan/program to follow to succeed.

Lots of armchair dietitians/doctors on here. Do not listen to them. Even nutritionists are just glorified calorie counters.

Only genuine accurate diet advice can come from a dietitian and they will say-find what works for you and give you guidance.

This always makes my eye twitch a little...all plans are CICO...CICO =/= calorie counting...it's an energy equation. I don't calorie count, so I have no issues with people following whatever plan really...some are better than others.

I know that all plans are essentially restricting calories in the end but some people need the structure of a plan to achieve a calorie deficit instead of just calorie counting from the off.

Some people can just simply log calories. Some people need a new structure plan like low carb, or slim fast etc etc

Excuse me--and who says that's bad?
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    ogtmama wrote: »
    For the record I just think that sayingeat whatever you want/the only thing that matters is cico is simply over-simplified to the point of being untrue.

Of course technically if you stay under your calorie goal you'll lose weight BUT what you eat (your level of satiety, your energy level, etc) has an immense contribution to how difficult/ easy/sustainable it is.

It's on the same level as saying there's no such thing as a plateau/stall...you know perfectly well that all they mean os that their scale has stopped moving and they don't know why...or that muscle doesn't weigh more than fat...don't be ridiculous, its perfectly obvious that people assume you are comparing like volumes.

I think it's difficult to remember after seeing so many of the exact.same.ridiculous.question we forget that it's still new to the person asking it. They truly don't know and if the goal really is to help them than be welcoming and kind not snarky and sarcastic to amuse your friends.

I disagree very much...that was exactly what got me going. I had tried a few different diet plans over the years and always lasted about two weeks because all of them had me going from eating like X to eating like Y overnight or they were super restrictive, etc...I crashed and burned every single time.

When I figured out that I could eat what I was eating, just less, that was a big time start for me...it wasn't the end, just a start and something I was able to work with and evolve my diet from there. It made things very easy and made the transition to eating better much easier.

Well...I guess we agree to disagree...some of us can't eat whatever we want because we'd eat one bowl of ice cream for breakfast and starve the rest of the day. You need to be clearer about what you mean...that's what I mean by over simplified.

Eta: god the typos.

One bowl of ice cream is nowhere near enough to "starve the rest of the day". And the only way you don't eat ice cream for breakfast is by telling yourself you can't have any ice cream at all ever?

To be fair, that depends on the size of the bowl. This is where we have to separate eating what we want to from eating how much we want to. There are some foods that I don't eat more than once or twice a year because I only like to eat them in large enough quantities that they really limit what I eat the rest of the day.

I just had a conversation with my husband about this over lunch today. I don't eat tomato soup with saltines anymore because I only like that combo when I can use an entire sleeve (or more) of saltines in one bowl of soup. That's something like 550 calories of just crackers, which would be a splurge for me because that kind of cracker intake wouldn't do much to get me to my protein and fat goals for the day.

None of that overrides the truth of CICO, of course.

That's totally me lol. I would not bother with the soup unless I had all the crackers. Thus, I hardly ever eat soup.
  • BiomedDent
    Options

Literally no one said that calorie counting or requiring structure/plans to do so is bad....
  • snowflake954
    Options

Literally no one said that calorie counting or requiring structure/plans to do so is bad....

Right, so SOME people need those structures.....so?
  • BiomedDent
    Options

Yes like I said, some people need that. And that is fine. Re-read my posts and tell me where it says it's not okay
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Yes like I said, some people need that. And that is fine. Re-read my posts and tell me where it says it's not okay

I think the confusion is coming from this statement:

If "Literally no one said that calorie counting or requiring structure/plans to do so is bad....", then why would you make a statement that essentially accuses people on this site of putting down those who require more structure?
  • BiomedDent
    Options

If "Literally no one said that calorie counting or requiring structure/plans to do so is bad....", then why would you make a statement that essentially accuses people on this site of putting down those who require more structure?

It's putting everyone's "expert" opinion about calorie counting down-*Ahem* the henched men and women who think because they're muscly and achieved a goal that suddenly they know all about weight loss and nutrition ergo "it's all cico". They don't. They know what worked for them, and them only-they're entitled to opinions but not stating as fact and they're certainly not entitled to put those who need a structured plan down.

Everyone should do whatever works for them-whether that be structured plans or simply logging. And forget what all the self proclaimed "experts" on here say as they are not qualified to do so.

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    jprewitt1 wrote: »
    Emily3907 wrote: »
    For the record I just think that sayingeat whatever you want/the only thing that matters is cico is simply over-simplified to the point of being untrue.

Of course technically if you stay under your calorie goal you'll lose weight BUT what you eat (your level of satiety, your energy level, etc) has an immense contribution to how difficult/ easy/sustainable it is.

It's on the same level as saying there's no such thing as a plateau/stall...you know perfectly well that all they mean os that their scale has stopped moving and they don't know why...or that muscle doesn't weigh more than fat...don't be ridiculous, its perfectly obvious that people assume you are comparing like volumes.

I think it's difficult to remember after seeing so many of the exact.same.ridiculous.question we forget that it's still new to the person asking it. They truly don't know and if the goal really is to help them than be welcoming and kind not snarky and sarcastic to amuse your friends.

I disagree very much...that was exactly what got me going. I had tried a few different diet plans over the years and always lasted about two weeks because all of them had me going from eating like X to eating like Y overnight or they were super restrictive, etc...I crashed and burned every single time.

When I figured out that I could eat what I was eating, just less, that was a big time start for me...it wasn't the end, just a start and something I was able to work with and evolve my diet from there. It made things very easy and made the transition to eating better much easier.

Well...I guess we agree to disagree...some of us can't eat whatever we want because we'd eat one bowl of ice cream for breakfast and starve the rest of the day. You need to be clearer about what you mean...that's what I mean by over simplified.

Eta: god the typos.

One bowl of ice cream is nowhere near enough to "starve the rest of the day". And the only way you don't eat ice cream for breakfast is by telling yourself you can't have any ice cream at all ever?

To be fair, that depends on the size of the bowl. This is where we have to separate eating what we want to from eating how much we want to. There are some foods that I don't eat more than once or twice a year because I only like to eat them in large enough quantities that they really limit what I eat the rest of the day.

I just had a conversation with my husband about this over lunch today. I don't eat tomato soup with saltines anymore because I only like that combo when I can use an entire sleeve (or more) of saltines in one bowl of soup. That's something like 550 calories of just crackers, which would be a splurge for me because that kind of cracker intake wouldn't do much to get me to my protein and fat goals for the day.

None of that overrides the truth of CICO, of course.

YES! Another person that eats a whole sleeve of saltines with tomato soup! My husband thinks I am nuts. A couple of weeks ago, I skipped breakfast and lunch just so I could have my tomato soup, saltines (whole sleeve) and grilled cheese. I had been craving it, so I planned it and went for it!

You guys are eating your tomato soup wrong-Fritos goes in the soup, not puny crackers :D

I have never heard of this. It sounds salty but the Fritos would probably hold up well. One of the reasons I like so many crackers is that I like how dry it makes the soup. Like @Emily3907 's husband, my husband thinks I am crazy when I say that.

Dry soup? How can soup be dry?

sb548.gif

It's not dry it's thick soup

It's a bowl of hot tomato-ey crackers. <nods>
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

It's putting everyone's "expert" opinion about calorie counting down-*Ahem* the henched men and women who think because they're muscly and achieved a goal that suddenly they know all about weight loss and nutrition ergo "it's all cico". They don't. They know what worked for them, and them only-they're entitled to opinions but not stating as fact and they're certainly not entitled to put those who need a structured plan down.

Everyone should do whatever works for them-whether that be structured plans or simply logging. And forget what all the self proclaimed "experts" on here say as they are not qualified to do so.

But...it *is* all CICO. Sure, there are different ways to achieve a calorie deficit, but understanding that weight loss boils down to a basic math equation is something that I feel like everyone trying to lose weight needs to understand.

If you need a structured eating plan, great. But I still think it's important to understand that none of us defy physics and any time we lose weight we are implementing CICO, no matter how we eat.

**Just to be clear, "CICO" is the energy equation, not necessarily "calorie counting."
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options

I think cwolfman is arguing a strawman.

ogt's saying examining one's satiety, level, etc. doesn't necessarily mean that he/she is suggesting that you should eat like X or in a restrictive way. wolfman leaps to a fallacy just to argue, ie strawman?

I agree with ogt on suggesting looking beyond simple cico. Hey, I got a brain and might as well put some intelligence into it as I do with everything else if I could. In fact my weight loss process was much easier than I anticipated, when I came up with an appetite-control category of food. I came up with meal timing that I won't have to avoid any social, family obligation. No need to mind calorie counting or rely on any app.
  • BiomedDent
    Options

But...it *is* all CICO. Sure, there are different ways to achieve a calorie deficit, but understanding that weight loss boils down to a basic math equation is something that I feel like everyone trying to lose weight needs to understand.

If you need a structured eating plan, great. But I still think it's important to understand that none of us defy physics and any time we lose weight we are implementing CICO, no matter how we eat.

**Just to be clear, "CICO" is the energy equation, not necessarily "calorie counting."

Why do they need to understand It? If their plan (with out knowing it's cico) works why on earth do they need that information?

And more importantly why do strangers on the internet feel compelled to ram it down their throat?

Live and let live. If someone wants advice on their structured plan give it. Don't point out info they don't need instead of offering the info they requested.
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options

This is a great post. I wish I could give it more than one "awesome."

Thank you! It's my personal best.

Should be mandatory reading for every MFP'er!

Extremely well said!

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

Why do they need to understand It? If their plan (with out knowing it's cico) works why on earth do they need that information?

And more importantly why do strangers on the internet feel compelled to ram it down their throat?

Live and let live. If someone wants advice on their structured plan give it. Don't point out info they don't need instead of offering the info they requested.

Because knowledge is power? It's not like we're trying to teach them about brain surgery or anything.
  • BiomedDent
    Options

Because it is important knowledge to have that will not only help them on their current journey, but also help them to keep the weight off in the future.

If they are on "X" diet, and don't understand the mechanics behind why they're losing weight, they may revert back to old eating habits once "X" diet is complete and gain the weight back.

And anyway, why would knowledge ever be a bad thing?

As an academic I will wholeheartedly say it's not. But when someone is struggling on a plan they decided to start (which is very hard for some) and they ask a question in reference to aforementioned plan the last thing they need is someone saying "why cut it out? It's all cico"

It's not helpful or useful and it's disheartening (and annoying) to the person asking the question, on the structured plan they chose to start.
  • snowflake954
    Options

The problem is--alot of times it's not working for them, and they are asking for help--ie: "I'm eating healthy and exercising and I put on 6 lbs in one week"!
  • BiomedDent
    Options

Because knowledge is power? It's not like we're trying to teach them about brain surgery or anything.

But it's not useful to them at the moment they ask a question about the plan they chose to start and are potentially struggling with. Instead answer their question/give support/empathy/understanding.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options

I think that statement comes from people asking what are you learning about healthy eating and portion control from the program and is this way of eating sustainable.
This discussion has been closed.