Done with it!

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Some years back, I set a challenge for myself: every week do one recipe out of 1,000 Vegan Recipes in order. I started with Cajun popcorn in the snacks section and have gone through snacks, hot and cold appetizers, salads, soups, sandwiches, pizzas... And when I started MFP, I had just finished the Italian pastas and stuffed pastas and begun Asian noodles.

I've been making them fit my daily budget. Even if they are high-calorie*, I can make them work by having lower-calorie snacks. A typical breakfast for me is 1 cup of red seedless grapes with a fat-free Greek yogurt and a granola bar crumbled on top. Under 300 calories, but fills me up. Lunch might be a salad that includes 1/2 cup of corn and a sliced vegetarian hotdog. Also under 300 calories. Also filling.

Dessert? I just made a canteloupe sorbet for later. It's about 100 calories to the half-cup, but it doesn't taste 'healthy'.

Could I make healthier choices for some of my food picks? Sure. But would I stick with it for long? Doubtful. Overall, I'm eating well, I feel full, and my treats aren't cheats!

*They are also 1-pot meals. So before I start getting nervous at, say, 610 calories per serving, I remind myself that in addition to the noodles, I've got tofu or seitan, a whole mess of veggies (I've just now made a Korean stir-fry that uses seitan, carrots, onion, bok choy, shiitake, and scallion), so it's not as though I need anything else with the meal.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member

<3 Your'e welcome. :)
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Similar to @fitoverfortymom except my first post was before reading everything in the stickies. I had a specific question, posted it and did not get a single response. Still no reply in that thread.

I read the stickies and lurked for a while. mostly because I wasn't sure what kind of garbage I was going to see in a diet forum. For me, the fact that the old time posters jumped in on what I thought were bad ideas, and some of them even referenced respectable studies, told me everything I needed to know and that I would fit in reasonably well.

But I've been around lots of different forums with lots of different moderation levels and interests and know my way around them. Even moderated a couple at one time (fishing related). So I know what can happen with first posts.

besides. I've always loved his video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9q2jNjOPdk
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    When I came into MFP for reals this past September (I've had an account for years with very little clue on what to do with it), I spent a lot of time Googling and searching within MFP for "What is the MFP diet." Considering how many forums and threads there are on MFP, and explicit success stories around the "MFP diet" I was super curious. I was literally moments away from trying Medifast because I truly had NO idea how to lose weight. I had tried a year or so ago to work out a ton, wondering how I couldn't burn my entire calorie deficit at the gym.

It's because I had NO idea what a calorie deficit really was or how to create one.

But...I am a smart cookie and I did my research. I read everything pinned in the "Getting Started" forum when I was getting started before I even posted a single new thread here. Maybe it's because I'm a smart cookie and know how to Internet really well, and without risk of insulting some MFP members, some folks just ain't real bright. That's not to fault them, but maybe people truly don't have the mental capacity to understand how Internet forums work and that there are gobs of threads about apple cider vinegar, whole 30, detox and cleansing, etc. They aren't dumb. They aren't stupid. They just don't know what the hell they are doing or what to look for, and probably have been so influenced by friends and marketing on how to lose weight, they never had a chance of being anything but clueless.

By the time I read everything in Getting Started, I had a pretty good idea of what a calorie deficit is, how to figure out what to do to find my calorie deficit and set a daily calorie goal. Then, I drove my happy *kitten* to the store to buy a digital food scale. I threw away the crazy 1979 diet book my sister gave me and started weighing my food so I knew how many calories I was consuming.

Because it's all about CICO.

Does keto make people happy? Sure. Does IF make some people happy? Of course. Do any of those people keep losing weight if they don't have a calorie deficit. No. Do those plans work for me? Hell no. I need tater tots and Chick Fil A, because that's how I roll. Knowing CICO helped me realize I still get to be me while I lose weight--just a smaller, better version of me. And that has made all the difference.

I can't say whether people's tone is mean or not. I can say holy cow that people don't know how to use the Internet to find the information they are looking for, and it can be hella annoying for those of us who do.

To sum up: Maybe as good stewards of MFP and CICO, we point our detoxing ACV whole 30 friends to the pinned threads in each forum rather then asking them the rhetorical questions and kindly, gently let them know in our favorite infomercial voices that, "There's got to be a better way."

'Cause there is.

It's CICO.

This is a great post. I wish I could give it more than one "awesome."
  • eok902
    eok902 Posts: 56 Member
    I want to know where these well muscled young men are, I deserve a birthday treat.............

Me too. I'm obviously not following the right threads...
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    It's been my experience that every helpful poster on these forums, every single one, will be called rude, mean, negative, troll, bully, etc. at some point or another no matter how carefully they phrase their advice. Posts like this tend not to be very helpful. When every helpful poster is called out as mean at some point or another, then making a post like this without examples or qualifications just ends up pointing fingers at everyone.

There is some actual rudeness that goes above and beyond what should be acceptable here. Report it (use the actual report function not the flags) or call it out where you see it. But posts like this just add to the negative atmosphere that you're trying to combat instead of solving anything.

And if you want to see better, more nuanced advice on the boards, jump in and give it! Please. Those of us who try to help out get overwhelmed at this time of year. We can't answer everyone. We can't spend hours hand-holding someone who needs it. If you can do that, then help us! Instead of putting down those of us who are trying our best.

Diane nails it! Yes!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member

This is a great post. I wish I could give it more than one "awesome."

Thank you! It's my personal best.

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    When I came into MFP for reals this past September (I've had an account for years with very little clue on what to do with it), I spent a lot of time Googling and searching within MFP for "What is the MFP diet." Considering how many forums and threads there are on MFP, and explicit success stories around the "MFP diet" I was super curious. I was literally moments away from trying Medifast because I truly had NO idea how to lose weight. I had tried a year or so ago to work out a ton, wondering how I couldn't burn my entire calorie deficit at the gym.

It's because I had NO idea what a calorie deficit really was or how to create one.

But...I am a smart cookie and I did my research. I read everything pinned in the "Getting Started" forum when I was getting started before I even posted a single new thread here. Maybe it's because I'm a smart cookie and know how to Internet really well, and without risk of insulting some MFP members, some folks just ain't real bright. That's not to fault them, but maybe people truly don't have the mental capacity to understand how Internet forums work and that there are gobs of threads about apple cider vinegar, whole 30, detox and cleansing, etc. They aren't dumb. They aren't stupid. They just don't know what the hell they are doing or what to look for, and probably have been so influenced by friends and marketing on how to lose weight, they never had a chance of being anything but clueless.

By the time I read everything in Getting Started, I had a pretty good idea of what a calorie deficit is, how to figure out what to do to find my calorie deficit and set a daily calorie goal. Then, I drove my happy *kitten* to the store to buy a digital food scale. I threw away the crazy 1979 diet book my sister gave me and started weighing my food so I knew how many calories I was consuming.

Does keto make people happy? Sure. Does IF make some people happy? Of course. Do any of those people keep losing weight if they don't have a calorie deficit. No. Do those plans work for me? Hell no. I need tater tots and Chick Fil A, because that's how I roll. Knowing CICO helped me realize I still get to be me while I lose weight--just a smaller, better version of me. And that has made all the difference.

I can't say whether people's tone is mean or not. I can say holy cow that people don't know how to use the Internet to find the information they are looking for, and it can be hella annoying for those of us who do.

To sum up: Maybe as good stewards of MFP and CICO, we point our detoxing ACV whole 30 friends to the pinned threads in each forum rather then asking them the rhetorical questions and kindly, gently let them know in our favorite infomercial voices that, "There's got to be a better way."

'Cause there is.

It's CICO.

I think I love you.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member

'Cause there is.

It's CICO.

I think I love you.

Mfp match making, love it:)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member

'Cause there is.

It's CICO.

who-is-awesome.jpg
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    I try to be very nice but I do get concerned about people who want to try diets that aren't sustainable. I don't want to see anyone fail because they erroneously believe that they "can't" have potatoes, or full fat dairy, or a glass of wine. I also don't want people to put their own health at risk. This whole weight loss thing is a journey and we need to come to terms with taking is slow, enjoying the journey, and learning how to eat in ways that make our bodies feel super great.

I'm diabetic and I accept that people on the forum will always want to know WHY a poster is considering a low carb diet. Personally, I respect that. I don't want a person thinking that they HAVE to eat this way to lose weight. It takes commitment and you really have to pay attention to your day as a whole. I've never had anyone be disrespectful to me about my choice. Maybe it is because I have a medical reason to moderate my carb intake. I have no idea. All I know is that I'm generally treated with respect here.

Some people CAN'T have some of those things. Why do so many people here not understand that some people can and some really can't? People are way too hung up on deciding that everyone can and should have everything any day and at anytime. This is just not the case for everyone. There needs to be more respect for others as no one here knows personally what is the case for an internet stranger. Some people really do have to avoid certain foods altogether. But there is this large crowd with criticism at the ready for anyone who feels they want to eliminate that which has been dragging them down. I don't see where that is ever going to help anyone.

I've never seen anybody here "not understand that some people can and some really can't" have certain foods or make certain dietary choices. I moderate carbs due to my own medical issues and preferences. I've never been told that is wrong to do. I've extremely limited certain foods due to a tendency to them being so tempting that I have a hard time eating them in moderation and I've never been told that is wrong to do either. Where are you seeing this happen?

Some time ago I had this happen from a "veteran" member.

After reading some of the labels on some foods that I was eating I decided to eliminate them instead of moderating them. I was told by this "veteran" that I would fail...I must have an eating disorder...I had no will power if I eliminated instead of moderating. There was no misunderstanding of what he said and what he meant.

The difference between me and the OP...I make my own choices and don't really care what someone else thinks. My decisions on what I eat are based on my own needs and the research that I have done.

This "veteran" went on my "pay no attention to list".

I think that there are several people on this site that have never participated on forums before. Many are much worse that this place...you have to develop tough skin sometimes to survive on the internet. I was a little surprised that a diet site could get so argumentative but at least so far no one has told that I deserved to be beaten, raped and murdered! LOL

Thank you for posting an actual example. I appreciate it as so many times we get told that we are mean or do this or that and then there are no actual examples given. I think that you handled it well and know what you are doing in that you realize that when it comes down to it, you have to make decisions based on what you know about yourself AND you are on top of researching things.

And I completely agree with your last paragraph.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    late...but in...for the MFP forum tone debate....
This discussion has been closed.